PDA

View Full Version : U Bun Tu?

tech overloaded mom
March 15th, 2007, 09:50 PM
There once was a man that worked in a fast food restaurant assembling the burgers. His job was to add the buns. One day the man came to work and found someone else doing his job. He asked "You bun too?"

(Sorry for the bad pun. My son made this one up and thought it would be funny to post.):lolflag:

wthanna
March 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Funny! ..however, as a reminder to our forum visitors......

Ubuntu's parent company, Canonical, says: "Ubuntu, an African word from Zulu and Xhosa, is pronounced 'oo-BOON-too.'"

tech overloaded mom
March 15th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I know. I know. but that is so hard to say with a Texas accent!:lolflag:

Skia_42
March 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Puns are the lowlife of jokes located right below fart jokes.

loserboy
March 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM
well i though the bun pun was funny....

and it gets +5 points since it came from a linux using mom

fuscia
March 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
has your son started school yet?

richdurhm
March 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
thats funny!!! :P

matthew
March 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I know. I know. but that is so hard to say with a Texas accent!:lolflag:Officially it's oo-BOON-too, but I've heard Mark Shuttleworth say, "you-boon-too." I think it's a British thing... :)

PS, the joke made me smile.

DoctorMO
March 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
well I don't know why some people say 'you' it's clearly a 'uh-bun-too' but I should probaly change it to uh-boon-too

mostwanted
March 15th, 2007, 10:50 PM
It just struck me that Ubuntu is perhaps one of the best words to illustrate how unpredictable English pronunciation is ;)

der_joachim
March 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
It just struck me, that Ubuntu is perhaps one of the best words to illustrate how unpredictable English pronunciation is ;)

Hear hear! I once read an article somewhere which stated that if English pronunciation were a bit consistent, 'fish' would be spelled as 'ghoti'. Why? Well gh as in enough, o as in women and ti as in notion. :)

mips
March 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
... but I've heard Mark Shuttleworth say, "you-boon-too." I think it's a British thing... :)

Then he needs to catch a wakeup, thats not how he was tough at home :) He ain't no Brit, unless he thinks otherwise.

C-A
March 16th, 2007, 10:51 PM
"oo-BOON-too" just doesn't roll off my tongue

I usually mispronounce it "U-Bun-2".

banjobacon
March 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
It just struck me, that Ubuntu is perhaps one of the best words to illustrate how unpredictable English pronunciation is ;)

Well, it's not an English word, so that explains some of the confusion.

banjobacon
March 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
(Sorry for the bad pun. My son made this one up and thought it would be funny to post.):lolflag:

Good idea. I'll start using my nephew as a scapegoat for all my corny jokes.

migla
March 17th, 2007, 01:39 AM
... how unpredictable English pronunciation is ;)

Episode 22 of Monty Pythons flying circus comes to mind:
-Ah, no, no. My name is spelt 'Luxury Yacht' but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.

zubrug
March 17th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I laughed

STREETURCHINE
March 17th, 2007, 06:11 AM
made me smile it gets my vote