PDA

View Full Version : VMware images??

billdotson
March 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I know that the VMware player is free and available on Linux but I have heard different about VMware. So if a website is distributing VMware images for their OS (assuming it is free)

I want to install NexentaOS, OpenSolaris, PCBSD, etc. in VMware but I want to know if I can legally get the VMware images without owning the VMware itself. I am guessing that I should be ok since the VMplayer is free.

UbuWu
March 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM
You can find some of them here:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45

billdotson
March 16th, 2007, 03:20 AM
so.. is it free to get the images w/o owning VMware and using them in the VMware player?

maniacmusician
March 16th, 2007, 03:28 AM
There's many different products...there's VMWare workstation, which you have to pay for.

There's VMWare server, which is free.

VMWare Player is also free.

VMWare images work in all of those. Personally, if you're looking to use virtual machines on Linux, I'd recommend VirtualBox instead. It's much more efficient on Linux than VMWare.

simonn
March 16th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Try using qemu. It is fully open source now and I have not noticed any performance differences to VMware.

reacocard
March 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM
To actually answer you question: yes, it's perfectly legal. Vmware itself has a community area for distributing VM images.

I would also second qemu + qemu accelerator. It's almost as fast as VMware, and completely GPL as well.

billdotson
March 17th, 2007, 01:15 AM
yeah i have heard of QEmu, I will look into it when I get my PC back (4 days left!! YES!)