PDA

View Full Version : preview filmclips on mouseover?

Ashrael
March 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Hi, wouldn't it be nice if you could see and hear a preview of a filmclip etc. just like ubuntu does with ogg and mp3 ? Don't know if it's already possible, but i could not find anything on it... If you lot like the idea, reply... and maybe (if it's not already possible) we could make a feature request...

Ashrael...

EdThaSlayer
March 15th, 2007, 07:46 PM
It sounds like a good idea but with the current processers out in the market it would be faster to just double-click on the video file and play it via totem/mplayer/vlc player.

Choad
March 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM
i dunno. if you didnt interpolate pixels, it would (should?) be alot quicker to generate a motion preview, so long as nautilus was up to it

and god knows if theres one thing nautilus needs, its more bloat

H.E. Pennypacker
March 15th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I am all for it. Sounds like a great idea. I would appreciate it. Something like a media player would come up, but it would have to be extremely light, and not have many features. It would show a clip...the duration would be determined by the user, and you could scroll through the clip.

Crashmaxx
March 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM
This could probably be a beryl plugin. It already does something similar in that you have have thumbnails of open windows and they are live, so even a movie playing will show up.

The hard part, is I don't think beryl has anyway of playing movies. It would need to launch a player in a fake screen and then pipe the output to the thumbnail. Only problem I see, is it would be best to leave the player open the entire time you are viewing thumbnails, because the most load time is at start. But you wouldn't necessarily want the player open all the time.

It could be done, but it would take some effort.

Choad
March 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM
naaa i think we were talking fully integrated, making the movie icon animate

Choad
March 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM
This could probably be a beryl plugin. It already does something similar in that you have have thumbnails of open windows and they are live, so even a movie playing will show up.

The hard part, is I don't think beryl has anyway of playing movies. It would need to launch a player in a fake screen and then pipe the output to the thumbnail. Only problem I see, is it would be best to leave the player open the entire time you are viewing thumbnails, because the most load time is at start. But you wouldn't necessarily want the player open all the time.

It could be done, but it would take some effort.
i dont think a beryl plugin would be the best way to be honest.

i think nautilus<>gstreamer lovemaking should happen

bastiegast
March 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
how about a tooltip with the movie playing when you hover over the icon with the mouse?

Choad
March 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM
could do...

if my c-skills were up to scratch, and i didnt already have a ton of uni work to do i'd have a go

but alas my c-skills are lacking and i do have a lot of uni work to do

could this be done in python?

Ashrael
March 21st, 2007, 01:32 PM
Well, first: it's great to know i'm not a total eeediot :)

and second: it's good to find out that more people would like some sort of preview of movieclips...

I (at the moment) lack the skills to get this done. I used to program in the "old" languages, like fortran, cobol, pascal etc.. so it should not be too hard to learn a new one...working on that...In the mean time i would like to get in contact with people who might be able to get it done..sorry to sound like a newbee (with 27 years exp.) but in the linux field i am...about 10 months ago i discovered ubuntu and was sold imediately ;) I wanted to get involved somehow. Now i'm delving deeper and deeper...we'll get to the core one day! Give me tips etc. please...

Ashrael.

graabein
March 21st, 2007, 01:40 PM
Can the audio preview option be toggled?

I don't like it when I move files around in Nautilus while playing music and drinking Duff beer and a sound comes on the stereo - what is it? It's a friggin random preview! Get off the airwaves!

Same thing goes for video preview. Not good for file management. I would rather do a few clicks to preview it than be careful where I put my mouse. Option is a wonderful thing!

darkhatter
March 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
your movie player would have to be really intergrated to do something like that, this may be possible with konqueror