PDA

View Full Version : Linux musings drift in from China

newbie2
March 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Could Linux be the nearly perfect solution to the computing ills in China? Well, a little yes, and lots of no.

Keep in mind that these millions of users here are first-generation users. The computer education they do get is on systems that mirror the overall problems. I have never seen a computer in any academic setting that is not chock full 'o nasties. Viruses that are thought to be extinct in the West are alive and well here.

The interweb is slow, but that is the way it is supposed to be, so goes the general sentiment. Students learn bad computing habits in school, but these bad habits are exacerbated by the platform available.

So, back Linux. I use Linux on all of my servers, and on my home computer. I have installed Linux on several of my Chinese friend's computers. As much as anyone can have feelings for an OS, I like Linux. My Chinese friends like it as well. The Chinese interface for both KDE and Gnome is great. The IMEs offered are, in my opinion, better than those for Windows.

So, Linux is the answer, then?

No. People just don't know about open source software here. Whatever comes on their machine, be it a white box from a local vendor, or a Lenovo box, is what they mostly believe must be used. This is really a different culture; stock is bliss for most users.

There was some noise a while back about Red Flag Linux, an all-Chinese distro (a distro that had many striking similarities to Red Hat, including the installer). It seems it may have been used as some sort of leverage to get certain concessions from a large OS vendor whom I shall not name.

The only way Linux could ever take off here is if it could be packaged with a Chinese-language installer, include simple step-by-step instructions, and work almost every time. Such a distro would have to be “as easy as Windows” to install, or even easier.

Oh yeah, this distro would also have to be priced a 8 RMB (about 50p) or less, because it must compete with bogus Windows. Offer it as a free download? That's a non-starter as well. There is next to nothing in the press here to alert people that it can be had. You want computer software? You go to a computer software shop. It has to be on-the-shelf, ready to install, and it has to work first time.

Another downside for Linux here (and elsewhere). You can get Linux software that will do almost anything Windows software will do, but it isn't the same. It takes a little bit of skill to make it work. For my Chinese friends, I set up Linux to work the way they expected. As I said, they like it. But.

But, could they have done it on their own? Here comes the culture thing again. The people I installed Linux for are all smarter than me, but they have very basic computer skills and no Linux experience. On the other hand, they could very simply buy a 'bad' copy of Windows and install it with little trouble.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38245
:rolleyes:

prizrak
March 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Same thing as any other "Linux not ready for desktop" nothing new. Again you see installer issues, user habbit and so on. If no one knows how to use a F*&*ING computer they can't possibly have a habbit.