PDA

View Full Version : ET: Some ideas, meeting follow-up discussion.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
March 15th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Note: I have posted this email on the forums since the mailing list seemed to garner little response over the last few days. Sorry for the double-info!

Howdy again everybody! I'm sure you all are sick of hearing from me by now ;) So I promise to not keep killing the mailing lists too much.

Our first meeting was this past Sunday, and was mostly an introduction meeting. We got to know most of the Education Team members, one by one, and I can say we have quite the variety here working in the Ohio LoCo! We also decided that all aggregated (collected) and created resources should be licensed under the Creative Commons license (this means if you pull other documents and information to be used, edited, or appended, it must already be licensed as CC. We cannot grab copyrighted or other licensed material and relicense it).

Unfortunately, as time ran short and the meeting was rather late, there were a few more points that I would like to cover here on the mailing list.

* Meetings

Should we have set meeting times, like the general LoCo team, or should we just call meetings when we feel there is something that is necessary to discuss? If we decide on having set meeting times, how often should we have them (once a week, twice a month, once a month, etc), and on what days and what time?

* Expanding the Education Team

Is there a project or something that we do not cover in the Education Team that you would like to bring to attention, and start? If there is, dont be afraid to shoot your idea on the forums and / or on the mailing list! The Ohio LoCo is a very receptive and positive (even in criticism) group, so don't be afraid to share some ideas!

* Questions about the Education Team

Again, if there is something that you do not understand (for example, what's a resource, or what's a workshop?), then ask away. If there is something that you think may be a more efficient way to conduct an operation or project, contact the person in charge or another person involved in the project and offer your opinions (just remember to be polite).

* Collaboration

This was (sort of) brought up in the meeting. One of the biggest strengths of the Ohio LoCo is that we have organized sub-teams to help members work together and focus on projects. However, I want to encourage members and leaders of the sub-teams to work together on projects. Sub-teams are in no way exclusive, and they shouldn't be. We're all a part of a bigger team. Currently, the Marketing Team and the Education Team are working together on introducing Ubuntu to libraries (which if I get some time later today or tomorrow, I hope to gain ground on the booklet content). I will also add some information onto the Education wiki about the project (currently, you can check out the project on the Marketing wiki). Also, there are definitely similarities to the New User Team and the Education Team, and to help our members we will work out at least some blurred lines to help distinct the two teams. As I know of right now, the largest project for the New User Team is the support (F2F) project, providing support one on one for end users in troubleshooting, while the Education Team's (current) focus has been on creating documents and workshops to educate users in a more class-room setting for skills and programs, along with Ubuntu (think community education for computers).

I hope to hear from everybody, and thank you for your time!