PDA

View Full Version : Small Itch - Barcodes for inkscape

DoctorMO
March 15th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Hello all,

Why doesn't inkscape have barcodes!! Rah, whine... incoherent argument involving nasty vitriol... etc etc

Well whine no more, because it was easy and since I got to know more python with my other projects I had a much better chance this time than perl (I wrote the last one in perl and got nowhere, crashings, so I didn't release) but this time it all works.

Suported Codes so far are EAN8, Code39, Code39Ext, Code93 and Code128

If you want more codes, their easy to make a nice little project for any novice python programmer.

Oh and see attached I've got for you guys a lovely deb installer and tar.bz2 for the old hats, do some testing and let me know how it goes. oh and make sure you have inkscape and python xml installed (you probably do if your using ubuntu)

DoctorMO
March 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I've put it in for review too to get it into the next version of inkscape.

DoctorMO
March 16th, 2007, 05:28 AM
It's going into the next version, and just to show you all how easy it is to make new codes I've added a nice fancy one for Royal Mail's RM4SCC (see the screen shot)

FyreBrand
March 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Just for the rest of us who don't have a clue what this is about do you mind giving a short explanation why you would want to do this, especially in Inkscape.

DoctorMO
March 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Just for the rest of us who don't have a clue what this is about do you mind giving a short explanation why you would want to do this, especially in Inkscape.

Er, Inkscape can be used to create package materials as well as images. Many people have asked for such a feature and one French dev created an EAN13 extention (http://www.inkbar.lineaire.net/) but this extension allows the creation of many kinds of 2D barcodes and has flexibility to be extended to other codes. It's also useful for other applications as it can be plugged into other production software.

Just for me who have no clue why; but your avatar image appears to be an animorph of some kind. can you enlighten me?

FyreBrand
March 16th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks. I didn't realize Inkscape is so versatile.

The avatar image is from the Guild Wars online game. It's a skill icon - Symbiotic Bond. You can see it here (http://guildwars.com/gameplay/skills/listing/ranger-beast-mastery.php) second from the bottom of the page. I really like their art team.

Xerampelinae
August 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
For those who might dig up this thread like me.. In inkscape 0.46, barcode options are under "effects -> render -> barcode"

Just FYI.