PDA

View Full Version : Calling all neat-freaks!

eilu
March 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
How do you organize your files? What programs/systems do you use? Share your methods (or lack thereof)!

At the moment I look at my PC's /home and cringe. It's such a mess that Elvis & the Loch Ness monster could hide in it and I'd never know! My notebook is in better shape, I use foilders-in-folders and desktop search... but it's a 'clunky' way to go about it.

My big problem? Organizing class notes/handouts, journals and my artwork (I probably have 3 different versions of a file, a .TIFF, and in-progress .xcf and a 'finished' .jpeg/.png/.gif; plus all the reference photos or stock sources that I've collected over the years)

hizaguchi
March 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
For notes and homework and stuff I use something like:

~/Documents
...../Personal
...../Work
...../School
........./Class1
............./Notes
............./Homework
........./Class2
............./Notes
............./Labs
................./Lab1
...................../Datasheets
...................../Reports
............../Homework

beercz
March 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Suffice it to say that I am organised. Even my desk is tidy!!:KS

PatrickMay16
March 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'm not a tidy person, but even the most untidy will have some organisation in their lives.

In my home folder, I have some main directories, like Pictures/, Music/, texts/, Webpages/, junk/, etc. And folders in there, and so on.

maagimies
March 15th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I do not really organize my home folder... What I currently need I dump to the Desktop, what I don't currently need I send to the trash, and some things that I like to keep "just in case" I keep in home away from view. Source-code for projects I keep in /home/username/source.
But I do keep my media partitions moderately clean like video/movies, video/clips, music/Artist and so on.
I have never needed any sort of search feature :D

use a name
March 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM
I've got a few partitions in which I store stuff (one for linux-only). They usually have a 'download' folder in which I dump files. And when I find time, I organize them a little further. (Those partitions are for apps, drivers, mp3...) For loose/test documents, I usually use the desktop, to ditch 'm or move 'm to a safe place later.

Hmm, my home folder is just for the things I use on the computer it belongs to, eg. wallpapers, and stuff I work on (gonna use svn soon to decently manage projects worked on on multiple computers...), but I must admit that I already broke that rule by having another download folder there, in which I have some apps and drivers stored...

Kujen
March 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Folders in folders.

/home/ben/*

*=Images, Music, etc...

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
/home/me
/documents /pics /music /video /torrents /deb /downloads/ gnome-art /logs /work
and so on...:)

Quillz
March 16th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I'm pretty good about keeping things organized. Although I keep all my data in /home/, there are a lot of folders in there, from Pictures to Videos to Music. And within those are many more sub-folders to better categorize my data.

daniel of sarnia
March 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I always try to keep my stuff in an organized folder hierarchy starting with
/apps
/Desktop
/docs
/imgs
/incoming
/media
in my home folder.

But I'm really interested to know if their is a good way in kde to use tags/metadata for sorting things.

Basically i think I'm looking for something that is like kerry/beagle and katapult built into one. Or I'll just have to live with the two apart from one another.

Still any good ideas on organizing things with tagging in kde are welcome!

Adamant1988
March 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Typically my /download directory is the most cluttered messy thing around. So I wrote a bash script to sort out all of the files into separate folders.

eilu
March 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Suffice it to say that I am organised. Even my desk is tidy!!:KS
MY desk only looks like that on weekends. I am episodically organized... clutter builds up through the week (too much homework) then on weekends I sort 'till everything is tidy... repeat cycle. This is why my keyboard is wrapped in cling film- never had time to clean it either.

Typically my /download directory is the most cluttered messy thing around. So I wrote a bash script to sort out all of the files into separate folders.
Ooooh... would you mind sharing? Can you make one that cleans rooms? :lol:

Adamant1988
March 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
MY desk only looks like that on weekends. I am episodically organized... clutter builds up through the week (too much homework) then on weekends I sort 'till everything is tidy... repeat cycle. This is why my keyboard is wrapped in cling film- never had time to clean it either.

Ooooh... would you mind sharing? Can you make one that cleans rooms? :lol:

Yeah, I'll just put it out there when I finish writing a new one. I'm using feisty full time now and I haven't wasted my time with it because I'm expecting major breakage... if Feisty makes it to release for me without any major breaks then I'll write one up for you guys to use lol.

diskotek
March 16th, 2007, 11:22 PM
/music
../minimal techno
../tech house
../electro
...../hague electro
...../classic electro
...../electro techno
.(i'm tidy as well, just about my music files..)

zorkerz
March 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Folders in Folders in Home for me. Ive never been satisfied with my ability to find things by searching. Even if i could im not sure i would abandon the folder method. I can't think of an easier method to organize everything sufficiently.

bruenig
March 17th, 2007, 05:19 AM
~/files/
....school/
.......class 1/
.......class 2/
....media/
.......audio/
..........music/
..............artist/
................album/
.......video/
...........archive/
.......images/

kevinlyfellow
March 17th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I use emblems. (the normal gnome emblems, not the useless edgy emblems)

srf21c
March 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM
My homedir file tree

|-- Desktop
|-- backup
|-- docs
|-- media
| |-- audio
| |-- pictures
| |-- video

Onyros
March 31st, 2007, 05:11 AM
I use the Desktop for all files and folders I'm currently working on, and then file everything according to type in

Email
Docs
Downloads
Games
Media
----Audio
----Pictures
----Video
Work

My work folder is comprised of folders for each company I work with; within those folders I use folders named by date, something like:

20070330_BS_specific name --> this enables me to search quickly and sort every job by date

(BS is either the company's acronym or a short form of its name)

e.g., If I had a Press Release I had to write for Canonical, due the 18th of April, 2007, stating why Ubuntu rules; the main job folder would look something like:

20070418_CNC_Ubuntu rules

Inside those folders I keep other folders: Received Files, Text Files, Pictures, Temp and Final. Others may be added depending on the kind of job.

migla
March 31st, 2007, 05:19 AM
I have files on the ~/Desktop until I feel I need to tidy it up, after which I dump them in the "stuff"-folder, which I may organize a bit sometimes into ~/"free music" , ~/"free text" and the like. It's not really very organized at all... (the things in quotes are translations)

troymcdavis
March 31st, 2007, 05:23 AM
sudo aptitude install basket

cowlip
March 31st, 2007, 05:23 AM

migla
March 31st, 2007, 05:40 AM
Can one tag files en masse conveniently (maybe select a goup of them, rightclick and choose "tag..." with some application/script? (tag could be in separate db or in filename for media files, whatever).

cowlip
March 31st, 2007, 05:45 AM

EdThaSlayer
March 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM
I download so many things that I sometimes just sit down on a saturday and think about all the hours I will spend on organizing my files. We should make some programs to do all this manual labor for us, although at the moment that isn't really possible. I have like ten thousand files not organized while another 100,000 are. :(