PDA

View Full Version : a story about choice

picpak
March 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM
So I went to the supermarket this evening, and I couldn't believe the huge amount of choice with...everything! And then, I went down to the peanut butter aisle, and even THEN I had to choose between smooth...AND chunky peanut butter! Why can't a megacorporation make the choices for me and let me move on with my life? I was outraged! So much, in fact, that I started my own store. It had the best marketing campaign ever...it was my company's logo, with a bunch of shading effects and the slogan, "It's here". It offered no choice between any of its products. Fruits, vegetables, peanut butter, calculators, notepads, paint...you name it. Hundreds of people rushed in on opening day, impressed by the door's glass interface (I didn't have the heart to tell them it was real glass). I had called it "Vesty". The V was for vendetta...no, wait, "very-limited-in-choice". The "esty" came from the fact that I thought it was the bestyest thing I'd ever done.

Then came the crashes. The aisles weren't strong enough to support their own weight, and came crashing down in front of you. When you're on top of a broken ladder trying to get an appliance and the aisle is closing in on you, it doesn't end pretty. We didn't have time to install new aisles, so we just patched them up. It's easy and efficient, no one will notice...right?

Then I noticed something. The other supermarket never had to worry about crashing. Their food stayed fresh, it never went bad, and you certainly couldn't get viruses from it. The security was suberb as well; when a problem arised, they were there as soon as they could and fixed it to the best of their ability.

Now, could this really boil down to the fact that they sold both smooth and chunky peanut butter?

Only time will tell, I guess.

Motoxrdude
March 15th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I'm not following, im sorry.

SZF2001
March 15th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Am I supposed to say "omg lolz Linux 4 evar"?

aysiu
March 15th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I don't understand the whole bit about crashing, but I do agree that choice is not a bad thing. People like choice as long as they are informed choices.

Without links like these, Linux distro names are just gobbledygook to the general public (Mepis, Fedora, Mandriva, SuSE, Knoppix...):
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

TBOL3
March 15th, 2007, 03:55 AM
There's a few problems with this story, or store-y First, your store needs to exist before the supermarket does.

However, it's very humerious, :)

BarfBag
March 15th, 2007, 04:14 AM
You just confused the crap out of me.

Then again... it's 11:13 at night.

DoctorMO
March 15th, 2007, 05:52 AM
There's a few problems with this story, or store-y First, your store needs to exist before the supermarket does.

A store is where you store things (pantry, cupboard, cellar, attic), a shop is where you shop for things, a super market is a really big market owned by one business. this isn't rocket science English.

karellen
March 15th, 2007, 07:40 AM
as long as something they got "works", better or worse, people don't care about choice ;)

use a name
March 15th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Made me think of a thread I read yesterday: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=9844 and the article mentioned there. ;)