PDA

View Full Version : UK Computer Buyers... Please Vote

darrenm
March 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I just want to see some numbers. The question is:

If a company in the U.K. was to start offering Ubuntu 7.04 pre-installed on laptops and desktops with all hardware certified and working correctly, but with only community software support (hardware warranty still stands) would you buy? Even if it meant paying slightly more than a machine pre-loaded with Windows from Dell/HP?

beercz
March 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I think I would rather have the choice of which OS came pre-installed, and include none as part of that choice.

The price of the computer must reflect that choice. Pre-installed with Windows should cost more that the same computer (with the same specification) with linux pre-installed (because of the cost of the Windows license), which in turn should cost slightly more than a computer with no OS (as the manufacturer has to spend time/money on installing and configuring linux on the machine).

Malac
March 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I absolutely agree with beercz ^^.

The last time I checked the "great value...pre-installed with Linux" Dell PC, they were $50 more expensive than the same exact machine loaded with Windows.

darrenm
March 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM
The problem is that small OEM's can't buy hardware at anywhere near what Dell and HP can. Therefore even with the Windows Tax taken off, the hardware is likely to come out roundabout the same, if not more expensive.

teaker1s
March 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
As companies run oem install / disc image I would argue that I wouldn't expect to pay more and I would still expect to pay less, as once an oem image is created on same hardware it shouldn't need tweaking on every pc.

1) why buy a computer without windows licence and pay more when either operating system needs installing?
2) In ubuntu's case you'd still cover install charge in base build cost, but costing more than oem licenced windows?

3) I 'd need convincing to pay anything more than computer with no os +8% for ubuntu installed!

4) would you give support for software issues, or will the forums be providing it for free?

I'm not against oem ubuntu, but I'm trying to grasp what value add an- oem gives.

I used to build pc's and small bulk buying and careful component selection I undercut local computer shops (pc world, curries,etc)

darrenm
March 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM
1) why buy a computer without windows licence and pay more when either operating system needs installing?

Because you know all the hardware will work.

2) In ubuntu's case you'd still cover install charge in base build cost, but costing more than oem licenced windows?

Same answer as above.

3) I 'd need convincing to pay anything more than computer with no os +8% for ubuntu installed?

4) would you give support for software issues, or will the forums be providing it for free?

I'm not against oem ubuntu, but I'm trying to grasp what value add an- oem gives.

Again the same answer. The only reason is that the hardware is guaranteed to work. The actual cost may be around the same or slightly cheaper.

Aliarse
March 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM
If i was buying a laptop, maybe.

But for a desktop, no, i wouldn't. I don't buy systems pre-made, no point when i can build them much cheaper myself.

spinflick
March 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM
No I dont think I would now, my latest one was home built so doubt I would go back to having someone else build it for me.

I did however see this a while back, an ebay store selling pc's with Ubuntu installed. Link (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/efficientpc)

teaker1s
March 14th, 2007, 06:52 PM
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/100

Really I'm failing to see the value added unless your a new user, but your not offering support.

I can quickly google a barebones system and save windows licence fee and your fee.

Maybe if support or a training scheme was offered it would be more appealing.
what about internet access-would you supply suitable equipment and support configuring?

darrenm
March 14th, 2007, 07:12 PM
If i was buying a laptop, maybe.

But for a desktop, no, i wouldn't. I don't buy systems pre-made, no point when i can build them much cheaper myself.

Yep, I'm with you on this one.

darrenm
March 14th, 2007, 07:13 PM
No I dont think I would now, my latest one was home built so doubt I would go back to having someone else build it for me.

I did however see this a while back, an ebay store selling pc's with Ubuntu installed. Link (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/efficientpc)

Seen that one before. No laptops though.

dalejefferson
April 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Seen that one before. No laptops though.

We do now sell laptops on our new website: http://efficientpc.co.uk

spinflick
April 5th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Will I get a discount seen as I gave your company a plug? :lolflag:

Bigbluecat
April 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I think it is a qualified maybe.

Only for a laptop and only if it was competitive with buying any other laptop and installing the OS myself.

Granted there is something in the assurance that all the hardware works but we can find out that from the web and these forums for just about any spec.

darrenm
April 5th, 2007, 07:14 PM
We do now sell laptops on our new website: http://efficientpc.co.uk
Good luck mate. Hope you do really well.

transactionlogfiller
April 5th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I used to build my own computers but these days I am too lazy. I try to get them OS free though, so I would go for a pre-installed linux one and pay a little extra for the assurance that the hardware will work without having to spend hours scouring the web.

luvr
April 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I would not be interested in a desktop system (I assemble those myself), but I would buy a laptop that came pre-installed with Ubuntu.

dalejefferson
April 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Good luck mate. Hope you do really well.

Thanks, We have had surprisingly good sales of Desktops so far and I expect Laptops to be ever better.

We sell alot to software engineers/ companies who use Linux but don't have the hardware skills or the time to build/ research their own system.

darrenm
April 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks, We have had surprisingly good sales of Desktops so far and I expect Laptops to be ever better.

We sell alot to software engineers/ companies who use Linux but don't have the hardware skills or the time to build/ research their own system.

Yep. I'm sure laptops are the biggest market for desktop Linux oem sales as people have the most trouble with laptop hardware and demand for laptops where everything is guaranteed to work is a massive draw.

jgrabham
April 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
no, because I just wouldnt buy a PC, Id build it myself and get exactly what I want.

darrenm
April 6th, 2007, 09:00 PM
But thats not really the case with laptops though is it?

M$LOL
April 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I'm not in the UK, but I admire this and I would like to see more PC manufacturers follow your example. Good luck!

Quite Interesting
April 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I would definitely buy a laptop with linux preinstalled. However if I did that I would expect all the features to be guaranteed to work, including the trickier ones. For example the power management features from throttling back the cpu to suspending and waking back up properly. I'd be happy to go without paid software support as long as the hardware was actually has fully functioning drivers under linux in the first place.

Desktops though are a totally different matter as it's quite easy to just do some research and buy parts that have linux drivers. If I was helping someone get a new pc who was open to the idea of linux on their pc then I might point them in the direction of a system with preinstalled linux.

We do now sell laptops on our new website: http://efficientpc.co.uk (http://efficientpc.co.uk/)That looks like a great site, its good to know that there are sources for stuff like this in the UK. A quick question though, do the suspend features work on those laptops? I ask because I know even the system76 people have had trouble with this and it isn't listed on the list of supported hardware.

dalejefferson
April 7th, 2007, 11:39 PM
That looks like a great site, its good to know that there are sources for stuff like this in the UK. A quick question though, do the suspend features work on those laptops? I ask because I know even the system76 people have had trouble with this and it isn't listed on the list of supported hardware.

I have not listed suspend and resume as working due to Feisty still being in Beta.

Currenty:

Suspend: works
Resume: works
Bluetooth: works
Wireless: works
Card reader: works
Monitor brightness control: works
CPU throttling: works
Battery monitor: works
Webcam: works

Every function works on a stock install of Feisty Beta, no extra drivers or mods needed.

Linux has come a long way in a few years. :)

Quite Interesting
April 8th, 2007, 12:01 AM
That is incredibly impressive :), especially considering the stories you hear about people coming to grief with linux on laptops. It just goes to show what can be achieved with enough brains on one problem. I'm definitely bookmarking your site for future reference (hopefully not too much in the future.)

darrenm
April 8th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Every function above works fine on my Lenovo laptop apart from the card reader. It's not as bad of a situation as it may seem ;) However it would be great to have everything guaranteed as working.