PDA

View Full Version : Creative People Wanted!

Aetherius
March 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Started a new project to create, what is in essence, an open-source universe!

It may sound stupid, but read this before you dismiss it!
(http://thegrieve.co.uk/leabhras/doku.php?id=off-world:beginners_guide)
Thank you.

Aeth

xyz
March 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Looks good! Congratulations for the idea!
I'm not very "image-creative" but I wish you and all others who will join in...Good Luck and Happy Results!

Aetherius
March 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks!

I can't believe how ethnically diverse these forums are! I was just looking at my sites statistics and since I posted this around 18 new countries are on my statistics! Brilliant!

I will beg people who read this post to just jump into the project, and start adding content, even if it is inane gibberish ;) someone else will clear it up :P

I would appreciate any other ideas or anything, just post it here or on the scratchpad (http://thegrieve.co.uk/leabhras/doku.php?id=off-world:scratchpad)

Any input will be of great help ;)

Thanks

Aeth

EdThaSlayer
March 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Sounds quite fun. This would help all of those free space games since they won't need to make up as much anymore.

Aetherius
March 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Exactly! All them ace-programmers out there can stop wasting time on story and music, and just do what they were designed for CODING! :lolflag:

Pikestaff
March 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
That's a really neat idea. I'll forward the link along to some of my friends and post it on some forums I frequent :)

Tomosaur
March 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Nice idea, I'll definately contribute :) I like writing stories.

mykalreborn
March 14th, 2007, 07:02 PM
interesting idea... similar to Tolkiens't realm, but i guess more complex. anyway, i wish you good luck with this!

Tomosaur
March 14th, 2007, 09:16 PM
It's a little confusing actually. Can you scrap the 'categories' idea? It just gets in the way.

jc87
March 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a great and interesting project, congratulations!

Maybe i contribute a storie or two in the future:popcorn:

nalmeth
March 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
hmm, if only Asimov were still with us :popcorn:

Aetherius
March 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM
hey, the categories are just some basic organisation, its a free wiki, re-organise it as you see fit tomosaur ;) the stuff that i put up was just an example

LOVE the tritime tom keep stuff like that coming

DC@DR
March 14th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Nice idea! Wish you good luck with the project :)

nalmeth
March 15th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I think this is a fantastic idea, I've started some stories, but am not quite familiar with how to link articles and such.

I've underlined names of places people and organizations to become articles in the future :KS

Detonate
March 15th, 2007, 12:54 AM

That was EXACTLY what i first thought:biggrin:

maniacmusician
March 15th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Who's Asimov?

This sounds like a neat idea. I absolutely love writing and would have a lot of fun writing a story. I'll haev to wait till I have time though, which somehow never seems to happen anymore :D

nice idea, though, I hope it takes off.

nalmeth
March 15th, 2007, 02:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov

A man light-years ahead of his time :)

Detonate
March 15th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Creator of "The First Law of Robotics". I'll bet nalmeth "Groks" that!

Kateikyoushi
March 15th, 2007, 05:34 AM

For ideas I would rather turn to P.K. **** and Asimov could flesh them up. ;)

Interesting idea to say the least, how do you plan to keep this coherent ?
Protect from wiki like vandalism etc.

Aetherius
March 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
sensible moderation :rolleyes:

it will probably be quite messy to start with, people throwing in random stories, then others can go through it, affix the stories to the timeline, generate biographies for characters involved and generally corellate the whole fiasco.

It'll be fun, and head-wrecking haha

Both P.K. **** and Asimov would be great assets ;)

Aetherius
March 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
as for protecting against wiki-vandalism

I hark back to Mr Eric Raymond

with enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow

muso
March 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I think it's got potential - at least depending on what content it starts to get, and whether it's able to be internally consistent (as a plausible, real universe). I think on the short-term there may be a large amount of anarchic activity (i.e. I don't see any universal rules being set re magic/science/religion...). I think once a basis (some key storylines) is established (to narrow the focus a little) then it has the chance of snowballing in a more constructive way.

I also wonder where "Project Leabhras" came from (I know there is a pronunciation guide, but that didn't help me!). I think it makes it hard to remember, and associate anything with... or, maybe that isn't a problem.

In any case good luck with it, and I'll make a note to check out how it's going in the near future - maybe contribute if I can see a way of doing so...

nalmeth
March 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Creator of "The First Law of Robotics". I'll bet nalmeth "Groks" that!
For the life of me I cant quite figure out what Grok means! :)

Following the Heinlein definition, I would love to 'drink' psychohistory over the Law's of Robotics!

liambre
March 16th, 2007, 12:26 AM
seems a really cool idea. I'd be happy to contribute when i get time.

Detonate
March 16th, 2007, 01:36 AM
You know, it occurs to me that I have a copy of "Stranger in a Strange Land" lying around somewhere, and the Trilogy. Haven't read them in 30 years. I think I will dig them out. Maybe Michael Valentine Smith can give me some insight in today's confusing world. I am looking forward to seeing how this project progresses. although I enjoy the creative efforts of others, I myself am somewhat devoid of any creative skills.