PDA

View Full Version : The Glass Ceiling Over Linux

karellen
March 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I stumbled upon this article in the morning, I find it quite relevant and describing true facts
http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=the_glass_ceiling_over_linux&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

anaconda
March 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM
heh.. that was funny.. and so true..

karellen
March 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I know, that's why it caught my attention

rolando2424
March 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Every system has it's flaws... We just have to correct them.

In Windows it takes a couple of years... In Linux at least it's faster :D

tigerpants
March 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Nicely underlines the hypocrisy in the tech world. Good article.

PatrickMay16
March 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Nice article, though I think Gary Denis hit the nail on the head with his comment there.

23meg
March 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Nice article, though I think Gary Denis hit the nail on the head with his comment there.

Shameless plug, huh?

You've stated the obvious, not something exceptional, and definitely not something that the article is denying. The article means to say "people are holding Linux to a higher standard, or different standards than widespread proprietary platforms", and you say "but there can be valid criticism of Linux".

Of course there can be. The article is just dealing with one branch of hypocritical criticism that's become tradition. It's not saying, not even implying something ridiculous like that there can't be valid criticism.

PatrickMay16
March 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Shameless plug, huh?

You've stated the obvious, not something exceptional, and definitely not something that the article is denying. The article means to say "people are holding Linux to a higher standard, or different standards than widespread proprietary platforms", and you say "but there can be valid criticism of Linux".

Of course there can be. The article is just dealing with one branch of hypocritical criticism that's become tradition. It's not saying, not even implying something ridiculous like that there can't be valid criticism.

Calm down. If you have something to say, take it out with Gary Denis. After all it wasn't me who said it, but Gary Denis. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.

23meg
March 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Calm down. If you have something to say, take it out with Gary Denis. After all it wasn't me who said it, but Gary Denis. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.

I'm calm, and I've said what I have to say. You can post a link to my reply there so that Gary will read it too.

prizrak
March 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I'm very confused about the Gary Denis thing but that link was funny and definetely very true. Well except for DST, all our Linux, Unix (Solaris) and Windows machines had issues with that. Sybase DB's didn't update their time at all (though the OS did). Cron was messed despite the system time being right. So it wasn't painless in any way but no one ever expected it to be.

jkeyes0
March 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I'm very confused about the Gary Denis thing but that link was funny and definetely very true. Well except for DST, all our Linux, Unix (Solaris) and Windows machines had issues with that. Sybase DB's didn't update their time at all (though the OS did). Cron was messed despite the system time being right. So it wasn't painless in any way but no one ever expected it to be.

I work in a windows-based environment, and we fought for a week straight trying to get things patched, and still weren't able to get it all done in time.

I have 4 ubuntu machines, and they were updated and ready to go (on their own) at least 3 weeks before DST came.

karellen
March 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
easy-delivered updates are indeed a strong-point of ubuntu

Somenoob
March 14th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Can somebody get the fanboi out of here, please?

pancake

prizrak
March 15th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I work in a windows-based environment, and we fought for a week straight trying to get things patched, and still weren't able to get it all done in time.

I have 4 ubuntu machines, and they were updated and ready to go (on their own) at least 3 weeks before DST came.

Well so did my laptop and my work desktop actually. The production systems were having some issues though. From what I heard from the Solaris folk it was actually a big pain in the butt because the update procedure is back asswards. RHEL machines only experienced the cron issue, which is making me believe that cron is a tad retawded. (actually I knew it was all along)

23meg
March 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Can somebody get the fanboi out of here, please?

Care to clarify?

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
we are all fanboys of something and there's nothing wrong this :)

23meg
March 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM
we are all fanboys of something and there's nothing wrong this :)

No, we're not all fanboys of something, thankfully. There are plenty of us who aren't fanatical about anything, yet strongly support certain things / causes / notions; me included. There's quite a lot of "wrong" in fanaticism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanaticism).

prizrak
March 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm an RWD fanboi, while I'll conceed to AWD being good in low traction conditions I beileve RWD to be the best drive train available. On the down side it requires a skillfull driver.

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 07:52 PM
No, we're not all fanboys of something, thankfully. There are plenty of us who aren't fanatical about anything, yet strongly support certain things / causes / notions; me included. There's quite a lot of "wrong" in fanaticism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanaticism).

I didn't talk about fanaticism ( :P) but about interest/hobby maybe even passion. that's why still I dual-boot. because I'm no fanatic...let's define our words clearly. and yes, in my case I'm a fanboy of reading good books and meeting and knowing interesting people. everybody has some likes/dislikes etc....if I like ice cream this doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it or hate anyone who does not share my tastes. live and let live, it's easy and simple

DoctorMO
March 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I hear there were problems with lots of databases. I know someone at harvard business school who was there over weekends and nights trying to get it all fixed when you have machines all over the place and your database stores times in none UTC formats.

I find this funny because I was using MySQL for my website and it didn't even blip, a post which was 2 hours old before the time change was 2 hours (and 1 minute) old after the time change and none of the calendar entries decided my dates where an hour ahead or behind.

Sometimes I have to wonder is buying these big expensive db's and machines is worth the obviously poor programming that goes into them.

prizrak
March 16th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I hear there were problems with lots of databases. I know someone at harvard business school who was there over weekends and nights trying to get it all fixed when you have machines all over the place and your database stores times in none UTC formats.

I find this funny because I was using MySQL for my website and it didn't even blip, a post which was 2 hours old before the time change was 2 hours (and 1 minute) old after the time change and none of the calendar entries decided my dates where an hour ahead or behind.

Sometimes I have to wonder is buying these big expensive db's and machines is worth the obviously poor programming that goes into them.

You have my agreement there. All the issues I see with MS SQL, Oracle (to be fair Oracle itself had no problem), and Sybase machines doesn't seem to be worth it. While I don't doubt MySQL and PostgreseSQL have same issues or some other issues if you end up with issues either way why not go for a Libre AND Gratis solution where you don't pay and can fix it yourself.

Quillz
March 16th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I stumbled upon this article in the morning, I find it quite relevant and describing true facts
http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=the_glass_ceiling_over_linux&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Good article. A lot of it did prove true after all. People just fear change, I think.

Sunflower1970
March 16th, 2007, 09:22 PM
hahahah.

Very funny. Great read.

23meg
March 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I didn't talk about fanaticism ( :P) but about interest/hobby maybe even passion. that's why still I dual-boot. because I'm no fanatic...let's define our words clearly.

Indeed; I think you need to redefine the word "fanboy" in your vocabulary.

and yes, in my case I'm a fanboy of reading good books and meeting and knowing interesting people. everybody has some likes/dislikes etc....if I like ice cream this doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it or hate anyone who does not share my tastes. live and let live, it's easy and simple

Are you eager to go into arguments with people who don't read good books and meet interesting people whenever possible? Are you narrowly focused into good books and interesting people to the point that pretty much nothing else interests you? Do you get overly defensive about your passion whenever someone questions it? I bet not, hence the reason you most likely aren't a fanboy; you're just very much into good books and interesting people.

To reword your previous post, if I may, in connection with this: we're all very much into certain things, and there's nothing wrong about it. But on top of that, fanboys are single minded, often intolerant, and can't accept different points of view than theirs.

While this may sound like too much nitpicking on one word, missing sometimes thin (but always critical) distinctions between notions such as dedication and fanaticism hurts a lot on the mass scale and in the long run.

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 09:49 PM
"To reword your previous post, if I may, in connection with this: we're all very much into certain things, and there's nothing wrong about it. But on top of that, fanboys are single minded, often intolerant, and can't accept different points of view than theirs.

While this may sound like too much nitpicking on one word, missing sometimes thin (but always critical) distinctions between notions such as dedication and fanaticism hurts a lot on the mass scale and in the long run."
yes, I know and I agree :)....I am against extremism as much as you are ;)

prizrak
March 17th, 2007, 06:33 AM
"To reword your previous post, if I may, in connection with this: we're all very much into certain things, and there's nothing wrong about it. But on top of that, fanboys are single minded, often intolerant, and can't accept different points of view than theirs.

While this may sound like too much nitpicking on one word, missing sometimes thin (but always critical) distinctions between notions such as dedication and fanaticism hurts a lot on the mass scale and in the long run."
yes, I know and I agree :)....I am against extremism as much as you are ;)

I am so extremely against extremism that I will not tolerate any extremism from anyone on anything. :popcorn:

steven8
March 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I am so extremely against extremism that I will not tolerate any extremism from anyone on anything. :popcorn:

Well said. After high school and college, and seeing my niece go through high school, I stopped and looked back with a new pair of eyes. I and my friends wore black, had 'different' haircuts, and HATED cliques. As does my niece. Now, with my new eyes, I see that we had formed a clique of clique haters. Ironic, eh? And kids will continue to do just this same thing forever and ever. . .

Anyway, I enjoyed the link and the nice read. It all rang so true on many levels.