PDA

View Full Version : compiler ignoreing #define

Mars8082686
March 13th, 2007, 11:50 PM
When I was compiling my program the linker kept throwing me errors saying that I defined funtions/variables multiple times. I have #ifndef FILE_H #define FILE_H on all my headers. (where file equals the name of the file). Is there a flag I have to enable in order for the G++ compiler to accept those commands?
when I take the include "main.h" out of the main, it will link, but with it in, it wont.

Mr. C.
March 13th, 2007, 11:54 PM
The answer is no, you don't need to enable options for the macro preprocessor to work.

Break down your program to the smallest possible test case, to help you find what is going wrong.

FILE_H may be defined in one of the system includes; if so, use something that won't collide with the existing namespace (eg. MYPROG_FILE_H)

MrC

Mars8082686
March 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM
The answer is no, you don't need to enable options for the macro preprocessor to work.

Break down your program to the smallest possible test case, to help you find what is going wrong.

FILE_H may be defined in one of the system includes; if so, use something that won't collide with the existing namespace (eg. MYPROG_FILE_H)

MrC
I wrote a simple program to test this.... I don't know how to make it any simpilier... heres the code

//test.h
#ifndef test_h
#define test_h
class test
{
public:
test();
int value;
};
#endif

//test.cpp
#include "test.h"
#include "main.h"
test::test()
{
value = 3*q;
}

//main.h
#ifndef main_h
#define main_h
int q = 3;
#endif

//main.cpp
#include <iostream>
#include "test.h"
#include "main.h"
int main()
{
test kitten;
std::cout<<"q";
std::cout<<kitten.value;
}

And I still get a linking error... am I doing something wrong?

Mr. C.
March 14th, 2007, 12:39 AM
You are including all your include files into both .cpp files.

Each file is compiled separately, and the preprocessor is run on each separately.

So you have main.cpp including the definition of your test class and q, and you have test.cpp doing the same thing. You can't link them because q is defined twice.

MrC

lnostdal
March 14th, 2007, 12:45 AM
hm, no .. the core of the problem is that he is both declaring and defining the symbol q in the header

//main.h
#ifndef main_h
#define main_h
extern int q; // declaration _only_
#endif

//main.cpp
#include <iostream>
#include "test.h"
#include "main.h"

int q = 3; // the definition of the symbol `q' goes here

int main()
{
test kitten;
std::cout<<"q";
std::cout<<kitten.value;
}

..any file including `main.h' can now refer to the single q defined in main.cpp (a good habit is naming your headers .hpp also btw.)

Mr. C.
March 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Yes, this too.

It was common practice for many to do this:

$ cat main.c
#include "globs.h"

main () {
printf ("C is %d\n", c);
}

$ cat globs.h
#ifndef globs
#define globs
int c = 1;
extern int c;
#endif

Which compiles and works just fine. As soon as you get a second compilation unit, it will fail.

Good catch,
MrC

Mars8082686
March 14th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Thank you for your help... now everything works :D