PDA

View Full Version : - STRATEGY DISCUSSION regarding ubuntu bug nr. 1 -

suoko
March 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
This is just a remainder.
I'd say Ubuntu and Novell together has put the linux community in the bubble bubble "harry-up" state.

Here is a recap of current state of linux:

APPLICATIONS
Games: Second life will include all possible games so there's no worry for the near future about gaming in linux.
[3D: blender will probably substitute CAD and all 3d software. Just a question of a couple of years (maybe less)
[OFFICE: There's plenty of apps such as ooo, startoffice, google office, ...

CORPORATIONS
HP: already support lin, so no worry
DELL: should support lin in the near future but I don't really care.
GOOGLE AND YAHOO: already supporting lin so no problem
IBM: already supporting lin so no worry
B]ADOBE:[/B] we should stress them in order to have macromedia and premiere ported to lin (although mainactor can do well re. video editing)

TOP URGENT: MACROMEDIA & DRIVER SUPPORT (ie sis 315 series has no 3d at all while intel GPU don't work well with 3d apps when compiz is enabled)

Choad
March 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
a little optimistic on the games and 3d sections arent we?

Nikron
March 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah, personally I'd rather gut my self with a rusty spoon than use second life... No offense to anyone, just my personal opinion/preference....

So really for the games, two things have to happen, in my humble opinion. The first is that the next version of Windows puts OpenGL on the same level as DirectX, and Linux needs to get about 20-30 percent of desktop market share.

Video/Music development is where linux dies at too. We need better shockwave support, and we need adobe or an equal substitute. I don't think gimp == photoshop. Big box retailers supporting us? Well.. Only if we buy from them... and buy a lot. Personally, I like building my computers, so I don't really want to buy from them. Maybe for a laptop.

Lord Illidan
March 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Personally, I think you have it wrong...And I doubt Second Life will support all games, same as Blender will be the end all killer application. Both are good apps but not meant to be the ultimate utopia.

If anything, you are skewing the strategy to give you what you want :)

billdotson
March 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Blender looks pretty cool and I am going to start learning it soon enough.. although I hear it is hard because you have to know a bunch of keyboard shortcuts. I guess I will try though.

I think you are overly optimistic IMO

Lord Illidan
March 13th, 2007, 09:33 PM
What's funny is that he doesn't care that Dell might/might not support Linux...but he does care about SIS cards and stuff.

Dell is important, kid. If Dell start supporting Linux, then a lot of hardware and software companies might wake up and smell the coffee.

Brunellus
March 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM
a little optimistic on the games and 3d sections arent we?
I concur.

At this moment, all eyes are on Dell and HP. If they are serious, and move to preinstalled Linux (of WHATEVER distro) in a big way, then that might be something worth considering.

At the end of the day, somebody with RealMoney will have to put up or shut up.

suoko
March 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM
What's funny is that he doesn't care that Dell might/might not support Linux...but he does care about SIS cards and stuff.

Dell is important, kid. If Dell start supporting Linux, then a lot of hardware and software companies might wake up and smell the coffee.

Actually DELL doesn't produce HW. It's just an assembler of HW. I do not need drivers for DELL ....
Whereas HP is important because it's both an assembler and an HW producer.

However I can feel from comments that, sadly, bug 1 won't be fixed in time

I'll go use HAIKU then :-)

Lord Illidan
March 13th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Actually DELL doesn't produce HW. It's just an assembler of HW. I do not need drivers for DELL ....
Whereas HP is important because it's both an assembler and an HW producer.

However I can feel from comments that, sadly, bug 1 won't be fixed in time

I'll go use HAIKU then :-)

Actually, since Dell is an assembler, it can start assembling pcs with correct hardware, and preload linux on them, which will be a good way of solving bug no 1. Same goes for HP, Sony and all the rest.

Once the number of users grows, then software support will follow, hopefully.

Haiku supports even less hardware.

Brunellus
March 14th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Actually, since Dell is an assembler, it can start assembling pcs with correct hardware, and preload linux on them, which will be a good way of solving bug no 1. Same goes for HP, Sony and all the rest.

Once the number of users grows, then software support will follow, hopefully.

Haiku supports even less hardware.
indeed, Haiku isn't even installable from live CD.