PDA

View Full Version : automatix2 update

thomasaaron
March 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Anybody know why automatix2 has a new update every day or so?
I've checked many times to see if they have anything new and exciting, and they don't.

If they don't have anything new to offer, it seems like one update every couple of weeks would be sufficient.

T

picpak
March 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM
If you don't want Automatix updates, go to System > Administration > Software Sources > Third Party, and delete the getautomatix.com repo.

I know I don't need updates for a program I only run once...

Quillz
March 13th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Hopefully they are updating for Feisty Fawn support. I haven't gotten it working on Herd 5 yet.

maniacmusician
March 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hopefully they are updating for Feisty Fawn support. I haven't gotten it working on Herd 5 yet.
that's because there isn't a version for Feisty, and probably won't be until Feisty is released.

Automatix just has updates like every other third-party program. The reason normal programs don't have updates as fast is because they would all have to go through the MOTU and get it repackaged. Since Automatix maintains it's own repos, it can do updates whenever it wants, and that's what it does.

Sammi
March 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I actually think that Feisty has come such a long way in automating non-free software installation, that I feel that Automatix will not be as much used as I has been for previous Ubuntu versions.

The need for Automatix is declining, I think.

Adamant1988
March 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I actually think that Feisty has come such a long way in automating non-free software installation, that I feel that Automatix will not be as much used as I has been for previous Ubuntu versions.

the *need* for automatix was non-existent to begin with. It only suits people who are too busy/lazy to be bothered to install things properly.

prizrak
March 13th, 2007, 07:36 PM
the *need* for automatix was non-existent to begin with. It only suits people who are too busy/lazy to be bothered to install things properly.
I am going to go ahead and disagree with you there (points for getting the reference). I did a manual install of everything that Automatix does and an Automatix install on the same version of Ubuntu (it was like Hoary or Breezy I think) and Automatix's install was actually better working. Things like w32codecs and such would give me issues if I did a manual install but worked well after I let Arnieboy's script play around.

I do, however, agree that with Feisty there is no need for Automatix. Totem-gstreamer is at the point where it works well enough to not need totem-xine and w32codecs installed. I have only encountered one website that has problems with it and that one is handled by RealPlayer pretty well (an easy enough install from their official site). Everything else seems to now be in the repos anyway so aside from decreased effort that it requires Automatix doesn't really do anything extra.

P.S, I have yet to try playing DVD's so I think that might be a problem as it seems to be mentioned quite a bit.

Quillz
March 13th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Install things properly? I haven't been able to get FrostWire installed any other outside of Automatix. Yes, I know it can be done, but for people like me who aren't very experienced with Linux yet, Automatix is a great program.

Adamant1988
March 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Install things properly? I haven't been able to get FrostWire installed any other outside of Automatix. Yes, I know it can be done, but for people like me who aren't very experienced with Linux yet, Automatix is a great program.

Yeah, I always show favoritism to programs that break my computer on upgrades and updates too.

picpak
March 13th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Once Feisty comes around, the only thing my mom will need Automatix for is Skype. When that comes around in Add/Remove...bingo. (Having GyachI would be nice too, but I don't see that happening.)

I don't get the problems surrounding Frostwire. I installed Java from Add/Remove, downloaded and installed Frostwire from their site, and it works perfectly. No need for Automatix.

jackrobinson
March 13th, 2007, 09:11 PM
post deleted.

Quillz
March 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I always show favoritism to programs that break my computer on upgrades and updates too.
I use Automatix and have been using dist-upgrade successfully since 6.06. It may break some computers, but not all of them.

jackrobinson
March 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Anybody know why automatix2 has a new update every day or so?
I've checked many times to see if they have anything new and exciting, and they don't.

If they don't have anything new to offer, it seems like one update every couple of weeks would be sufficient.

T
umm.. the changelog doesnt seem to suggest that nothing "new or exciting" is being added:
http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Automatix2_for_%28K%2CX%29Ubuntu_6 .10_i386
Check versions 1.1-2.18 and 1.1-2.24

jackrobinson
March 13th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I use Automatix and have been using dist-upgrade successfully since 6.06. It may break some computers, but not all of them.
what broke upgrades were flimsy packages from the official ubuntu repos (not automatix).
EDIT: i am referring to Dapper --> Edgy upgrades

picpak
March 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
OpenOffice 2 in Automatix broke the update from Breezy to Dapper...but that was Breezy.

It was exceptionally bad then...but things have changed.

jackrobinson
March 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
OpenOffice 2 in Automatix broke the update from Breezy to Dapper...but that was Breezy.

It was exceptionally bad then...but things have changed.
I cannot comment on Automatix(1) during the Breezy days (when it was probably just evolving) because I didn't use it then but since Dapper's release, Automatix2 has been one of the fastest and most reliable upcoming package installers in the Debian based distro domain.
For that matter Ubuntu itself was pretty "bad" during the Breezy days. I remember tons of things broken in Breezy.

prizrak
March 13th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Never had a single problem. In fact an Automatix'ed Dapper was updated to Edgy w/o a single issue while a fresh install of Edgy died about 2 hours into getting Beryl to work (worked on the dist-upgraded Edgy) on the same machine.

Also, frankly speaking, if Ubuntu's update/upgrade process gets broken by a non-standard (by that I mean stuff in repos only) then it's broken.

thomasaaron
March 13th, 2007, 11:14 PM
If you don't want Automatix updates, go to System > Administration > Software Sources > Third Party, and delete the getautomatix.com repo.

I know I don't need updates for a program I only run once...

Good idea. Done!

NyteGeek
March 25th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Now that was just rude. Not everybody has the same level of expertise, and properly is subjective in this case. Attitudes like that only help to stifle the adoption of free software.

aysiu
March 25th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Can we not turn this into another pro- and anti-Automatix thread? The original question was about Automatix updates, not about whether Automatix is good or bad, breaks things or doesn't, etc.

H.E. Pennypacker
March 25th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I am going to go ahead and disagree with you there (points for getting the reference).

You forgot the "Uhmm....yeah" part. Office Space (the supervisor)!

FyreBrand
March 25th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Can we not turn this into another pro- and anti-Automatix thread? The original question was about Automatix updates, not about whether Automatix is good or bad, breaks things or doesn't, etc.And if I may be so bold as to add... Wouldn't that be easier to find out on the Automatix forum? Here is the link for first hand information: GetAutomatix dot com (http://www.getautomatix.com/).

jackrobinson
March 25th, 2007, 07:50 AM
And if I may be so bold as to add... Wouldn't that be easier to find out on the Automatix forum? Here is the link for first hand information: GetAutomatix dot com (http://www.getautomatix.com/).
which by the way is looking super-sweet right now.. They seem to have updated their home page recently.

ubromtoo
March 25th, 2007, 08:13 AM
the currently-available most recent update for Automatix2 causes a warning

to come up:

" Can't Be Verified "

so should I just avoid installing it? it's been that way for maybe a week or so.

jackrobinson
March 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM
the currently-available most recent update for Automatix2 causes a warning

to come up:

" Can't Be Verified "

so should I just avoid installing it? it's been that way for maybe a week or so.

This question has been answered at least a thousand times.. please search before posting.
The update is perfectly safe (the automatix GPG key has changed).
Just go ahead with the upgrade (ignoring the warnings) and when automatix get upgraded, run it to import the new key. This will take care of the verification error for further apt updates.