PDA

View Full Version : Java app ugly under Ubuntu

Ariod
March 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hey guys,

I'm playing with Swing components in Java. I noticed that my Java application (that is using system L&F according to Sun's tutorials (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html)) doesn't look quite like other Java applications that I have installed (it's somewhat... ugly). For comparison, I've attached a screenshot comparing my Java app and Azureus.

Why is that so?

This is the code that I used for setting L&F:

try {
UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAn dFeelClassName());
}
catch (UnsupportedLookAndFeelException e) {

}
catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {

}
catch (InstantiationException e) {

}
catch (IllegalAccessException e) {

}

rjfioravanti
March 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Why do you think its ugly compared to the other one... you only have 2 menu items

So the only things I can compare is File and Help, and the only difference between yours and the other is that they have hotkeys for F and H, maybe if you put those in it will look the same

thesmartace
March 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Azureus uses the swt (http://www.eclipse.org/swt/) for its widgets whereas your one appears to just use the normal swing widgets. Swing, as far as I know, doesn't like gnome very much.

rjfioravanti
March 13th, 2007, 02:16 PM
what are the pros and cons of using swt over swing?

I mean on all OS's, not just linux

trippinnik
March 13th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Do you have jdk6? this one makes apps look native in gnome.

Ramses de Norre
March 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Install jdk6 and add this to your ~/.bashrc:
export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKL ookAndFeel"

Rizado
March 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Install jdk6 and add this to your ~/.bashrc:
export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKL ookAndFeel"HOWEVER!, GTKLaf is quite slow and buggy still. Alot better than the old ones but still not good enough. Also not all applications will like GTKlaf and might not work, that's why making it the default isn't too good.

Ariod
March 13th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, yes, I was using JDK 5.0. So in order to get the right looks, I'll have to update to 6.0 or switch to SWT.