PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu.com??

arnieboy
May 31st, 2005, 04:29 AM
A link to http://ubuntulinux.org at the top of ubuntuforums.org is named as "ubuntu.com". I think this is technically incorrect because ubuntulinux.org is not a commerical site. The name should be changed to ubuntu.org at least.

Kyral
May 31st, 2005, 04:34 AM
It may be because Canoncal(sp?) is behind Ubuntu and technically not non-profit.

Or its a typo.....

TravisNewman
May 31st, 2005, 04:49 AM
you can access the site with ubuntu.com or ubuntulinux.org

There's redhat.com, mandrake.com, suse.com, and they all have commercial backing. Whether or not Canonical is non-profit, it's still a company, and the .com means "company" so this is a non-issue really

arnieboy
May 31st, 2005, 05:10 AM
you can access the site with ubuntu.com or ubuntulinux.org

this is a valid point.

There's redhat.com, mandrake.com, suse.com, and they all have commercial backing.

The names that you have mentioned are all .com's because they make money by selling their products.What we get as free downloads are like freebies that they distribute.But in general they make money out of their websites by selling stuff like RHEL and hence the name www.redhat.com etc. otherwise they wud be called www.redhat.org if they were non-commercial

Whether or not Canonical is non-profit, it's still a company, and the .com means "company" so this is a non-issue really

.com does not stand for "company". It stands for "commercial" which means that all organizations which are commercial (which make profit) have to call themselves ".com" (thats internet law)
Ubuntu Linux is not a commercial organization (it does not make profit or ask for money from users for any product that they display on their page. I am not counting the T shirts and mugs because they get sold on commerical websites to which http://ubuntulinux.org only has hyperlinks.
That is why I brought this topic up.
However, since www.ubuntu.com takes us to the same page, then a correction does not need to be made since Ubuntu itself is announcing itself as commerical.

P.S.: a site which asks for donations is not "commercial". For example our very own ubuntuforums.org. It also doesnt matter which "company" "supports" this site. It would still be called non-commericial and will still have the .org domain

KiwiNZ
May 31st, 2005, 05:19 AM
Commerce is the exchange of something of value. This does not mean profit . Exchange of value can and often is at a loss to one of the parties.
Therefore Commercial sites do not need to be profit organisations.

kassetra
May 31st, 2005, 05:20 AM
.com does not stand for "company". It stands for "commercial" which means that all organizations which are commercial (which make profit) have to call themselves ".com" (thats internet law)
Ubuntu Linux is not a commercial organization (it does not make profit or ask for money from users for any product that they display on their page.

Hold up here, I own three .com domains, and none of them are for "commercial" organizations... in fact, they aren't even companies.

So, it's not really a law... Most likely they use ubuntu.com, because that's what most people expect.

TravisNewman
May 31st, 2005, 05:37 AM
" .com does not stand for "company". It stands for "commercial" which means that all organizations which are commercial (which make profit) have to call themselves ".com" (thats internet law)"

Sorry, I did mean commercial. And yes, Canonical is commercial because there's excange of commerce, as Kiwi said.

arnieboy
May 31st, 2005, 05:41 AM
Hold up here, I own three .com domains, and none of them are for "commercial" organizations... in fact, they aren't even companies.

Try to refrain from using phrases like "hold up here". I find that offensive.

I would like you to elaborate on "I own 3 .com domains". If you own a ".com" domain, it means you BOUGHT or took a lease of a .com domain from somewhere for commercial purposes. what u do with it IS ENTIRELY UPTO U. U dont need to make money out of the domain if u wish to. Here again, if u buy a ".org" domain then u sign an automatic agreement that YOU WILL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES make money out of the website by any means (ie., by selling goods, services etc)

So, it's not really a law... Most likely they use ubuntu.com, because that's what most people expect.
IT IS LAW! All domains are protected by internet law. Try breaking one of them and see what happens :)
The word "company" is generic. It does not find any reason for discussion here.
If ubuntuforums.org starts selling anything on this website tomorrow, it can be sued imediately for breaking the same laws which i mentioned earlier.

arnieboy
May 31st, 2005, 05:56 AM
Commerce is the exchange of something of value. This does not mean profit .

That is actually partly right. Commerce is indeed an exchange of something of value but only for reasons of monetary profit (or some kind of tangible profit which can be translated into money). The word "commericial " is synonymous with "intention to make monetary profit". Its a clear definition in economics which governs these laws.

arnieboy
May 31st, 2005, 06:09 AM
Sorry, I did mean commercial.
No problem. We all make mistakes.

And yes, Canonical is commercial because there's excange of commerce, as Kiwi said.
Canonical is a commercial organization because it makes profit by the goods and/or services that it sells. It will not be any less of a commercial organization if it starts supporting the Ubuntu project without any financial riders.
For example, Microsoft supports hundreds of welfare organizations around the world without making any kind of monetary gain out of them. Does that make Microsoft non-commericial?

kassetra
May 31st, 2005, 06:10 AM
Try to refrain from using phrases like "hold up here". I find that offensive.
Interesting. I'd love to know how that was offensive.

I would like you to elaborate on "I own 3 .com domains". If you own a ".com" domain, it means you BOUGHT or took a lease of a .com domain from somewhere for commercial purposes. what u do with it IS ENTIRELY UPTO U. U dont need to make money out of the domain if u wish to. Here again, if u buy a ".org" domain then u sign an automatic agreement that YOU WILL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES make money out of the website by any means (ie., by selling goods, services etc)
Well, let's see, the three .com domains are for my personal use, they were never meant for any kind of commercial use. My .orgs have been for my personal use, and also for some of my commercial ventures. I never had to sign anything when I purchased them.

IT IS LAW! All domains are protected by internet law. Try breaking one of them and see what happens :)
Well, I have. In fact, three out of four of the ISPs I've worked for were .orgs - and they were not non-profits. Nothing happened to them. In fact, they're STILL operating as .orgs... So if it's a "law" I've yet to see any consequences.

TravisNewman
May 31st, 2005, 06:12 AM
You do know that Canonical is planning on turning a profit eventually, though, right? They want to sell the support for their products.

And one definition of commerce from dictionary.com: Intellectual exchange or social interaction.

TravisNewman
May 31st, 2005, 06:40 AM
This one has gotten out of hand.

But you've gotten the information you requested, so there's no need to let it go anymore anyway.

Locked.