PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu run slower in laptop???

Raein
March 13th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I install both kubuntu and ubuntu in my sister laptop,but ubuntu runs slower than kubuntu in terms of lunching an application. Perhaps, something to do with the way i partition the harddrive.

In kubuntu i choose the default format (ext3) while in ubuntu i choose a different way, i try the xfs format (my /boot is ext3, root is xfs and swap). I don't know how to measure the performances but i think that kubuntu runs a faster. I try xandros before in raiser format and it run wells.

I also don't know if it something to do between gnome and KDE. What is good for laptop? gnome or kde?

or something to do with the laptop hardware? The laptop only have 256 mb of ram.

And also is there an application for card readers? o she love to transfer picture from her cellphone then upload it to friendster.

raein

Redache
March 13th, 2007, 12:42 AM
File systems when it comes down to it have a really negligible impact on overall system speed. My guess is the Ram as Laptops tend to be a bit more ram heavy than a desktop. For a good experience Gnome/KDE should really be run with at least 512 just to stop any slow down.

If a Card Reader works in Ubuntu it will usually mount itself, unless it's not supported.

Try throwing a memory stick in and seeing if Ubuntu detects anything.