PDA

View Full Version : Publicity

jgrabham
March 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
OK heres how I see it - Your average everyday computer user thinks you buy a PC (fro Dell or PC world) you get it home you start it, it says MS Windows. They dont know that Linux exists. They think that windows is part of a computer, you cant have one without the other. Linux has no publicity. If somehow someone could get adverts out there explaining what Linux is, then people would think hey windows is £100 Linux is free. Get linux. Also if all companies work together eg IBM, Dell, Apple, then combined they could take on MS.

Crooksey
March 12th, 2007, 10:35 PM
People think Linux is just for people who don't have a social life or they dont even know it exists. I tell OS X users if they want a free OS to run on their desktop they should run FreeBSD, to which i get "WTF is that".

Linux wont be as popular as windows, at the end of the day, people who know about Linux can use and enjoy it.

jgrabham
March 12th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Thats what Im saying linux needs publicity, articles in the nerdy magazines I read will only be read by people who know lts abou computers. If Dell and IBM and other PC mnufacturers sold PCs with an option of Linux or for £50 more Windows then more people will get Linux as they will see that they have a cheaper option.

IYY
March 13th, 2007, 12:10 AM
It's too difficult for the average computer user to switch to Linux on his or her own. Some do it, but there is a true feat in the psychological aspect of it (from a technical standpoint there is little challenge).

However, if you have someone hold your hand and teach you how the system works, and encourage you to try it and use it, you will be curious enough to try it.

Also, very few Linux users ever leave Linux and switch back to Windows, so once a true conversion is made, it's made for good.

Conclusion? Marketing is nice, but the true way for Linux so spread is by word of mouth.