PDA

View Full Version : What is a computer expert? so called experts.

ade234uk
March 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I am currently in the lucky position that when I started working for my boss 4 years ago I created his first website from him. From this day on my resposibilities have grown and grown within his company as it has grown from nothing.

I seem to know lots of little bits but I am not a master of one thing. I dont know if this is a good or bad thing. What I do have is experience. I have no proper computer qualifications either. Some of the guys on here could wipe the floor with me.

One day I could be doing flyers for a magazine using photoshop. There not great but they do the job for his type of business. But I know what the print shop needs.

Next day I could be doing small bits on the website. I am not a proper php programmer however I know how to get a website with database running in the background. I dont however fully 100% understand the scripts people write, they go straight over my head.

Another day I could be setting up new webspace.

Another day I could be fixing pc's at work or sorting out the network.

I never ever consider myself an expert. A lot of people slag me off behind my back at work, there always seems to be someone with an opinion, who is an expert, but no one ever comes up to the table to offer their services.

We are currently running an off the shelf auction site in php, its doing the job, it may not be the best but again a few people have said it is ****. But again no one comes to the table, the reason is no one can get anything sorted because no one beat the reliability or price of the hosted Ubuntu Server.

saulgoode
March 12th, 2007, 09:13 PM
None of our men are "experts." We have most unfortunately found it necessary to get rid of a man as soon as he thinks himself an expert because no one ever considers himself expert if he really knows his job. A man who knows a job sees so much more to be done than he has done, that he is always pressing forward and never gives up an instant of thought to how good and how efficient he is. Thinking always ahead, thinking always of trying to do more, brings a state of mind in which nothing is impossible. The moment one gets into the "expert" state of mind a great number of things become impossible.

:)

~LoKe
March 12th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Hey, someone like me!

Good at everything, great at nothing?

karellen
March 12th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I am currently in the lucky position that when I started working for my boss 4 years ago I created his first website from him. From this day on my resposibilities have grown and grown within his company as it has grown from nothing.

I seem to know lots of little bits but I am not a master of one thing. I dont know if this is a good or bad thing. What I do have is experience. I have no proper computer qualifications either. Some of the guys on here could wipe the floor with me.

One day I could be doing flyers for a magazine using photoshop. There not great but they do the job for his type of business. But I know what the print shop needs.

Next day I could be doing small bits on the website. I am not a proper php programmer however I know how to get a website with database running in the background. I dont however fully 100% understand the scripts people write, they go straight over my head.

Another day I could be setting up new webspace.

Another day I could be fixing pc's at work or sorting out the network.

I never ever consider myself an expert. A lot of people slag me off behind my back at work, there always seems to be someone with an opinion, who is an expert, but no one ever comes up to the table to offer their services.

We are currently running an off the shelf auction site in php, its doing the job, it may not be the best but again a few people have said it is ****. But again no one comes to the table, the reason is no one can get anything sorted because no one beat the reliability or price of the hosted Ubuntu Server.

I like your style, man. I always thought it's important what you know and what you can do, not a piece of paper with a qualification :)