PDA

View Full Version : Please help with survey for grad school paper

gradas
May 30th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend is writing a grad school paper about pre-marital cohabitation, she needs to survey people from various backgrounds for this paper. Please take a few minutes to answer the questions and email them to the address provided in the doc. This survey is for people who are (or have been married). It will not take much time, as most questions can be answered by providing some number or picking from multiple choice.

Thanks for help!

http://www.geocities.com/gradaz/Questionnaire.doc

tread
May 30th, 2005, 10:02 PM
You are kidding, right?

1. You have no history here, this is your first post.
2. You have a link to a Word document .. have you heard of macro viruses?
3. This isn't even your research .. it's your girlfriends graduate research! Have you heard of academic integrity?

If you were trying to sell something, I would have ignored this .. but its supposedly for academic purposes. In this case, I will make an exception to point out why what you are doing is wrong.

gradas
May 30th, 2005, 10:08 PM
You are kidding, right?

1. You have no history here, this is your first post.
2. You have a link to a Word document .. have you heard of macro viruses?
3. This isn't even your research .. it's your girlfriends graduate research! Have you heard of academic integrity?

If you were trying to sell something, I would have ignored this .. but its supposedly for academic purposes. In this case, I will make an exception to point out why what you are doing is wrong.

Sadly, I semi-agree with what you said, and I exepected that some forum-guardian-troll will start flaming me. Yes, it is my first post on this forum, I am a gentoo user at the time... I promise and assure there is no macro virus in this file (you should be reading it in open office anyway).

I want to apologize for making you furious.

kassetra
May 30th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Ok, no need for hostilities...

gradas - it would have been a little bit better if you had phrased your post thusly:
"Hi, I'm new here, and I signed up to this forum because I am looking to help my girlfriend do some graduate research and we need a diverse group of people. If you would like to participate in her survey, please answer the questions in this survey (It's in Microsoft Word format, but Open Office should open it just fine.)."

tread - It's ok if his first post is asking us to participate in a survey (even if it's for his girlfriend.) We don't have a requirement as to what kind of first post a user makes, ok? And I'm sure you would agree, if he had explained that the file was in Microsoft Word format first, that would have been better.

All right?

gradas
May 30th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I agree with kassetra, I asked for help on this matter from a couple linux forums, as I am convinced that linux community would not be selfish and hostile towards such request.

Thanks to those who understand!

PS Ubuntu is great distro! I pointed quite a few friends/coworkers to this distro, as it is great way to get linux exposure without frustration of some other distros.

tread
May 30th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Well, I guess I flew off the handle a bit and I apologize.

It isn't a question of being selfish or helpful, I still think it's wrong to do someone else's school work. But I'm sorry about the flaming post.