PDA

View Full Version : When will Beryl be officially stable?

billdotson
March 12th, 2007, 04:50 AM
I really like Beryl and I am sure that the guys working on the Beryl project are working hard (I for one do not have the programming skills to make such a thing) but I do not use Beryl anymore as it always keeps crashing on me and locking up while I am using it.

I would like to be able to use things like screenlets and other cool things like that but many of those things seem to only work if you have Beryl operational.

maniacmusician
March 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM
well when was the last time you used it? Even the "unstable" versions of Beryl (the SVN snapshots) usually work pretty well for me. The "beta" versions are almost rock-solid in my experience.

adam.tropics
March 12th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Stable in the fully stable sense is probably gonna be a while! Hang out a bit at http://www.beryl-project.org and you will be able to keep current. There are some reasonably stable versions out now if you want to try again, and there are some excellent guides on the Beryl site, as well as plenty of relevant help.

That said, Beryl/Compiz are not the only ways to have a little eye candy if that's what you're after. My personal favourite thread for that is this one (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=77694&highlight=eye+candy). An oldie but a goodie!! enjoy.

slimdog360
March 12th, 2007, 07:19 AM
its pretty stable for me, unless ubuntu decides to update.

billdotson
March 12th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I don't know.. I was using Beryl only two weeks ago. anytime I tried to add an icon theme or a mouse theme it went crazy. Also windows would sometimes just lock up and even restarting X wouldn't fix it.

23meg
March 12th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I do not use Beryl anymore as it always keeps crashing on me and locking up while I am using it.

Have you tried Compiz? Do so if you haven't.

beefcurry
March 12th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Beryl works perfectlly before untill I hacked up my Xorg.conf. Now my Beryl Crashes or Locks up every 10 min. I have no idea whats wrong but it works fine when Im usign Metacity.

siimo
March 12th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Whats up with all these 3D desktop fanboys anyway? does it really improve your productivity? I doubt it. If anything it'd have an opposite affect from playing around :biggrin:

Quillz
March 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Didn't Beryl just have the 0.2 release recently? If that's any indication, it's going to be a while before we will see the first stable 1.0 release.

For me, I find Beryl very much a gamble at this point. When I used it on Gentoo, it literally crashed my entire system every 20 minutes or so. But when I installed it on Kubuntu and openSUSE, I might go for hours or even days without experiencing an issue. At this point, I still think Beryl is too unpredictable to be a stock feature of any distro.

insane_alien
March 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
beryl will be stable when all the geeks of this world can no longer find something to tweak.

in other words, its always going to be unstable in its latest state. there will eventually be stable versions along the way but there will always be the unstable versio nthat geeks use.

Stone123
March 12th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Beryl 1.0 , think of it in terms of lim->(∞)1.0

Anthem
March 12th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Whats up with all these 3D desktop fanboys anyway? does it really improve your productivity? I doubt it. If anything it'd have an opposite affect from playing around :biggrin:
Obviously you haven't used Beryl. I've got most effects turned off, but the application-switching stuff is absolutely phenomenal. Plus, my desktop's quite a bit faster with Beryl than Metacity.

Back to the original question, Beryl will be "officially stable" when the Linux Kernel is "officially stable" .... never. In terms of production-quality, though, it's already happening. It's rock-solid for me. Once some improvements get made in driver quality and X.org, and Compiz gets to 1.0, we should be absolutely rocking.

siimo
March 13th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Obviously you haven't used Beryl. I've got most effects turned off, but the application-switching stuff is absolutely phenomenal. Plus, my desktop's quite a bit faster with Beryl than Metacity.

Back to the original question, Beryl will be "officially stable" when the Linux Kernel is "officially stable" .... never. In terms of production-quality, though, it's already happening. It's rock-solid for me. Once some improvements get made in driver quality and X.org, and Compiz gets to 1.0, we should be absolutely rocking.

I have used beryl.. SVN from a couple of days ago. I don't like it at all. And not sure about it being faster than metacity as i don't use that.

Praxicoide
March 13th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Beryl 1.0 , think of it in terms of lim->(∞)1.0

LOL!

Beryl worked pretty well for me with my Intel graphics card. Sometimes when booting it will bee in Metacity for some weird reason, or my home folder might open three of four times. Other than that, it's pretty good.

On the other hand, I tried installing it in another computer with an ATI card and I finally had to give up, it either crashed, broke the X server, or didn't show the window borders. I don't know how many different ways, before I took the advise that said that Beryl and ATI cards didn't mix well.

A shame really, not so much for the 3-D stuff, but for things like te zoom feature or the application-switching.

Stone123
March 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM
LOL!

Beryl worked pretty well for me with my Intel graphics card. Sometimes when booting it will bee in Metacity for some weird reason, or my home folder might open three of four times. Other than that, it's pretty good.

On the other hand, I tried installing it in another computer with an ATI card and I finally had to give up, it either crashed, broke the X server, or didn't show the window borders. I don't know how many different ways, before I took the advise that said that Beryl and ATI cards didn't mix well.

A shame really, not so much for the 3-D stuff, but for things like te zoom feature or the application-switching.

Well it didn't work for my Ati card with any previous Ubuntu or Suse untill feisty, now it works with normal "Ati" driver out of first try.

Choad
March 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I have used beryl.. SVN from a couple of days ago. I don't like it at all. And not sure about it being faster than metacity as i don't use that.
what wm do you use then?

enlightenment?