PDA

View Full Version : What to do if Beryl is too much for your laptop to handle

FuturePilot
March 12th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Ok, well I finally got Beryl working on my laptop without any errors, but it's really slow. If I'm trying to do something it's almost too slow to be productive. But I'm an eye candy lover. I have to have my eye candy.:lolflag: And I've realized that Beryl can't run optimally on my laptop. So I stumbled across a little thing called xcomposite manager. It in no way comes close to what Beryl does, but it does give you some nice drop shadows and fading effects and even a little true transparency. It's something and something is better than nothing right? There was a nice How To here that I followed http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=75527&highlight=composite+manager
In case anyone wants to play around with some eye candy.

23meg
March 12th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I'd try Compiz before xcompmgr. The latter is ancient, not actively developed as far as I know, and eternally buggy, even on recent Xorg.

FuturePilot
March 12th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I have tried Compiz but it keeps giving me these weird cannot bind image to pixmap errors or something like that. Beryl used to do the same, but I got rid of those. Yeah I kind of gather that that thing is old judging by the date on that How To :lolflag: and I've found it to be a little buggy, well a lot more buggy than Beryl. It just randomly crashed on me once. I've actually found Beryl to be very stable. But I have noticed that Compiz does run a little faster than Beryl for my laptop, now if I can just get rid of those errors.