PDA

View Full Version : what's your motto?

fuscia
March 11th, 2007, 11:14 PM
and, of course, the stories behind them.

1. "anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

this came from my cousin, one summer, when we were trying to decide whether to get a 12-pack, or a case. with that, we opted for the case and were most grateful we did.

2. "live each moment as if it were your last and, one day, you're sure to be right."

from the movie 'breaker morant'. best movie line EVAH!!!1

3. "do what you can. fake the rest."

i'm a voice teacher and this is what i frequently find myself telling my students. if you think about it, entertainment is like brain surgery: if you make a mistake, it's unlikely the victim will notice. just don't broadcast the fact.

bernied
March 11th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Why put off until tomorrow something that you can forget about completely?
origin unknown

maniacmusician
March 12th, 2007, 12:10 AM
and, of course, the stories behind them.

1. "anything worth doing is worth overdoing."

this came from my cousin, one summer, when we were trying to decide whether to get a 12-pack, or a case. with that, we opted for the case and were most grateful we did.

2. "live each moment as if it were your last and, one day, you're sure to be right."

from the movie 'breaker morant'. best movie line EVAH!!!1

3. "do what you can. fake the rest."

i'm a voice teacher and this is what i frequently find myself telling my students. if you think about it, entertainment is like brain surgery: if you make a mistake, it's unlikely the victim will notice. just don't broadcast the fact.
man, #3 is completely true. Unless some fellow entertainers are watching. Then, you get made fun of later.

heathen
March 12th, 2007, 01:10 AM
"meh"

.t.
March 12th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Look in my signature: "We are lost until loss; blind until blinded". I just thought it up one day. It describes how, without losing something, we don't know how much it was worth. Without experiencing an alternative to something, we cannot judge the other.

lintroduccion
March 12th, 2007, 01:27 AM
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
by Mahatma Gandhi. :)

hardyn
March 12th, 2007, 01:34 AM
"an adjustable wrench is not a real tool" -- me; i scream this alot while watching "american chopper"

similar to fuscia -- "do it right, or dont bother" -- me, but this has been said for eons.

"just use open office" -- i have been saying this one alot lately.

Skidpad
March 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM
"an adjustable wrench is not a real tool" -- me; i scream this alot while watching "american chopper"

similar to fuscia -- "do it right, or dont bother" -- me, but this has been said for eons.

"just use open office" -- i have been saying this one alot lately.
Those are good! I've been preaching OOo a lot myself lately.

Here's one that I've found appealing over the years, don't know where I heard/read it:

1: To live your life in fear of losing it is to lose the point of life itself.

yabbadabbadont
March 12th, 2007, 03:43 AM
"Life is invariably a fatal condition."

One of my sister's teachers when she was in medical school.

Bezmotivnik
March 12th, 2007, 03:54 AM
"Yeah, I said it and I meant it."

"Opinions are what stupid people have instead of data."

Nikron
March 12th, 2007, 04:03 AM
"The chance of a piece of toast to fall buttered-side-down is directly proportional to the price of the
carpet."

--Murphy

Infact, I should probably put that in my sig.

yabbadabbadont
March 12th, 2007, 04:05 AM
"Murphy was an optimist." -- Unknown

BJinMontreal
March 12th, 2007, 04:13 AM
An intelligence test sometimes shows a man how smart he would have been not to have taken it.

Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)

Kingsley
March 12th, 2007, 04:14 AM
It's not lacking any meat! And that's what real women need! Heehehahaa
-Quiznos commercial

thomasaaron
March 12th, 2007, 04:31 AM
When you find yourself in the middle of hell, keep on walking.
Winston Churchill

Somenoob
March 12th, 2007, 04:33 AM
"There is no wealth like knowledge, and no poverty like ignorance."
Siddhartha Gautama

wesley_of_course
March 12th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Wesley here :

1 Corinthians 10:13 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)

13 "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

The First Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians .

Amen

kevinf311
March 12th, 2007, 05:04 AM
"Be not afraid of walls, for they can only hurt you if you run into them" -Me

I coined that one when I used to play Need For Speed II. Literally it means to ignore the course walls and focus on the course. Outside of that It means that if you worry too much about the things that might be your downfall, it is more likely that they will take you down.

fuscia
March 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Look in my signature: "We are lost until loss; blind until blinded". I just thought it up one day. It describes how, without losing something, we don't know how much it was worth. Without experiencing an alternative to something, we cannot judge the other.

i'm guessing i'm pretty much right already on how much losing my nuts, fingers and eyes would suck.

Spr0k3t
March 12th, 2007, 06:30 AM
"What if the mannequins are truly damned, doomed to watch us make fools of ourselves in our everyday lives" - Author Unknown

This one is my personal favorite. I heard this first in '78 and it's never left my mind. I'm always referring back to it in such situations that are out of control or need to be dissected and reevaluated.

"Walk a mile in my shoes, then tell me how you feel."

My oldest is 13 and knows everything. I tend to use this quite frequently at the dinner table.

"You can shine this where the sun don't stick!" - Tiggr

Yeah, it's from winnie the poo... and possibly my favorite line to be taken out of context.

Those are my three favorites.

fuscia
March 12th, 2007, 06:57 AM
My oldest is 13 and knows everything.

never forget you can always embarass the crap out of teenagers in front of their friends, should the going get rough.

beefcurry
March 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
"Hasta la Victoria Siempre" -> "Towards Victoray, Always"

Famous line by Che Guevara, seen on most t-shirts with his photo on :)

RandomJoe
March 12th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I had one from high school, and never realized where it came from until just now, as I went searching for it in Google:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
----- Henry David Thoreau, Walden, Conclusion, 1854

(I definitely didn't "fit in" in high school, and certainly didn't go along with the crowd!)

Also found in high school, when doing a history report on D-Day - I've always liked the sentiment:

"Do not be daunted if chaos reigns, for it undoubtedly will."
--- Commander, British 6th Airborne Division

EdThaSlayer
March 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM
"The ends always justify the means"
Origin:Warhammer 40k

I program in python to see the result :D

and

"Prayer cleanses the soul, but pain cleanses the body"

fuscia
March 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM
"Prayer cleanses the soul, but pain cleanses the body"

how do you go about following that motto?

casaschi
March 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM
"I dont care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members", Groucho Marx

karellen
March 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." Oscal Wilde
"If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years." Bertrand Russel
"Is there life before death?" graffito in Belfast
"We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are - that is the fact." Jean-Paul Sartre
"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon." Susan Ertz
"I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it." Garrison Keillor
"Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook and a good digestion." Jean Jacques Rousseau
....some of them

EdThaSlayer
March 12th, 2007, 07:48 PM
how do you go about following that motto?

I don't really follow the prayer part since I'm not religious but the pain part is true. You see, exercising till you feel some pain is good for you since that means you actually exercised properly, so it "cleans" your body(keeps you fit). Very strange quote, that is why I added another quote.

glotz
March 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM
"Kill Bill"

I think you can figure that one out...

fuscia
March 12th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I don't really follow the prayer part since I'm not religious but the pain part is true. You see, exercising till you feel some pain is good for you since that means you actually exercised properly, so it "cleans" your body(keeps you fit). Very strange quote, that is why I added another quote.

ok, i get it. i make a distinction between 'soreness' and 'pain'. i guess it's just another way of saying 'contructive pain' vs. 'destructive pain'.

Ralfing
March 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" Mark Twain

finer recliner
March 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom always to tell the difference.
-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

insane_alien
March 12th, 2007, 10:01 PM
'If everything has come out perfectly as expected, something has gone horribly horribly wrong'
-me, about chemisty labs but applies to life in general notably because things tend to catch fire once if taken the result and been pleased cos its what i expected.

this isn't a motto but its kind of funny and semi related if you look at it with squinted up eyes

'organic chemists study carbon compunds, biologists study carbon compounds that wiggle'