PDA

View Full Version : Why do people get crazy when you talk about their OS ?

Supergoo
March 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Hey guys,

I been noticing that when I compare Linux to another OS in a friendly talk or when I am chatting with somebody about maybe going with Linux, people come out of the wood work or make a point to bash saying things like Linux blows or its too hard to use or it is free so it must suck. I just find it amazing ! I do not think I am overbearing when I talk about Linux , I mean I do talk about other stuff.

The Worst in this Group seem to be Mac users ( I am one myself ) and then followed by the Microsoft Crowd ( Yes I have Vista too). I get questions like how long did it take you to get the DVD Working ? Which I replyed a few hours ( I was playing and experimenting ) But no I am stupid because they installed it in 15 minates because they read the How-to's. I just hate been made to feel stupid just because I dared to compare a friggin OS.

Why must people do this there are alot of OS's out there pick one you like, but keep a open mind about stuff.

I prefer to Learn,tweak,and understand then to simply use, I love the freedom to look under the hood and maybe one day make something better, don't like restrictive software ELUA's

Sigh thanks for letting me Rant

PS now if I could get Wine to work :lolflag:

beefcurry
March 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I feel you, I get that alot as well. Im just using Open Office and some lame microsoft kid comes up and goes "ahaha opensource, retard. its free cause it sucks and you are just working for free for big coperations if you program open source". Mac users would also go "ahaha that looks so ugly" Generally Windows users dont have much to back themselves with and half of the Windows users hate windows..so Mac users are the main problem.

Trebuchet
March 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
It's certainly not something done by only one of these groups. I've seen devotees of all three OSs rag on the other two and their users. Even here, a very friendly Linux community, the moderators felt it necessary to post "Please do not use this as a bashing area" in bold lettering on the Windows portion of the Other OS forum. Note that no other forum here has this type of warning, including Mac OS.

While I have seen Windows users bash Linux, as a longtime Windows user my own reaction to Linux users has been "They're either smarter or more patient than I am. Probably both." :D

JAPrufrock
March 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM
It's like talking about your car. Everyone loves there own car, no matter how it runs, until they get something else.

Tomosaur
March 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I think it's because people are just people. Humans have are habitual creatures. In the 90s, EVERYONE used Windows. When Mac came into the mainstream again, those who switched were ridiculed too. Mac has now been a big player long enough to allow it's userbase to feel as comfortable and settled as Windows users had been. Now that Linux is getting a lot of media attention, and people are using it more and more, the same thing is happening. People look at Linux and think of things which were true right at the very beginning, when it was predominantly command line driven, and was pretty disorganised. Now that this is changing, people are seeing others make the switch, and they don't like it, because:
a) it introduces insecurity into their way of thinking. If they just spent £300 upgrading to Vista, or whatever - then what the hell are all these people doing, using something for free? Is Windows broken? Etc etc

b) it is always a switch brought about by technical people first and foremost. The people who fix other people's computers for them, etc. The 'average user' begins to assosciate difference with complexity, rather than looking at the benefits of switching. Thus, they view it with contempt. "Linux users are all nerds - normal people can't use it!" - I'm sure you've heard that one before. Linux now has enough technical people maintaining and developing it to ensure that the average user has a pain-free experience (for the most part). It's still in a transition period, and there are still things which need to be done. However, the rate of progress increases every day. The truly amazing thing is that Linux hasn't really 'dumbed down'. Windows was originally a program you ran from DOS. It then switched to being a true operating system. It then crippled its own command line, and forced people to do things 'the windows way'. Linux has, for the most part, retained it's roots - you can still go messing about under the hood, if you feel like it. Apple Macs have arguably always been usability driven, there was nothing for them to 'drop', as it were. Linux has retained it's roots because it's modular. There's absolutely no reason to drop the terminal, or whatever (in fact, it would probably be impossible to do so now), because everything is seperate. Many users of other distributions look at Ubuntu as a dumbed down version of Linux - but many have now actually used it, and have changed their minds. Ubuntu is still Linux, it's just focused much, much more on usability than many other distributions. There are other things which annoy people about Ubuntu, but I won't go into that here.

c) Linux is really leading the way in some areas. Whether any of the contempt for Linux that users of other OSs actually exists or not is up to you, but look at it this way:
Linux, a free operating system, has had amazing eye-candy long before MS introduced Vista. Windows is playing catch up. Users finally get their hands on Vista's aero interface, and many are disappointed. Sure, it looks nice, but it's certainly anti-climactic, whereas Beryl continues to excite people and to introduce great new features.

Installing things in Linux is pretty damn easy. Click 'install'. Great. You don't even need to go looking around the web for a new program. Added to that, everything's free! Yes, people always say 'l0l but ifz ur progr4m isn0t in teh rep0s, u nd to COMPILEZ!'. This is such a ridiculous statement that it doesn't even warrant discussion, but I'll do so anyway: The repositories have thousands, and thousands, of different programs available. The 'average user', and even 'most users', do not need to look outside of the repositories, ever. When you can't find a program that you know you want, inside the repositories, then yes, you may need to compile it yourself. The problem with this argument is that the kind of programs which need compilation, are the kind of programs which only people who KNOW how to compile them, are likely to use. This is not true in all cases, but it is certainly true for the majority of things. People say things like: "I needed to compile the latest version of ndiswrapper! Lots of people need to use that!". The use of ndiswrapper, or virtually any of these kind of programs, is abnormal. For the majority of people, they don't need to touch ndiswrapper. It is a complexity, and you should really just get a different modem or whatever it is you're using which requires it. The fact that many people still use it speaks volumes about the approach these people take to a new OS. "Why doesn't my card work, even though it says, on the box, that I need Windows to use it, and even though people still tell me to get a better card?". I really wish people would start thinking things like this through. You wouldn't try to fit a lorry wheel on a motorbike, would you? Why do you think using incompatible hardware is going to work on an OS it wasn't intended ever to be used on? It may be a sad truth, but it is THE truth, and the problem will only go away if you buy better hardware. The manufacturer doesn't care about you, ok? They don't produce enough documentation, or release drivers, for linux users. When it says 'requires Windows XP', then just don't buy it, if you want to use something other than Windows XP. As long as people keep using crappy, OS-dependant hardware, then we're going to keep running into this problem. (Sorry for that rant!)

Contempt for Linux is normally shown from big software houses and developers. The average person sees Steve Ballmer ranting about FOSS being communism or whatever, and doesn't equate this to marketing, or some other tactic to put Linux down. They just think "well, this guy knows what he's talking about, it must be true!", and continue on their way. Linux' successes are completely alien to big companies. How can anything be successful when it makes no money, and it's not organised by management and shareholders? It's not just that Linux is a commercial threat, it's a threat to business organisation too. Linux is still structured heirarchically, but it's not like people are getting fired, or people are getting wages. It's just kind of appeared, and growing. People find it very difficult to equate this with legitimacy, and sites like Shelley's Republic, or 'How to tell your son is a hacker.', even though they are blatant jokes from the POV of someone who knows about this kind of stuff, do harm Linux and open-source as a whole. There are thousands of Linux USERS, for gods sake, who believe that the rants are REAL, and defend Linux vehemently, berating the authors for their ignorance. When you have such a backlash from the group the article 'attacks', who is the average joe supposed to believe? The author, obviously. They've non-Linux user who is reading the article could very well have been completely unaware of Linux, but then they scroll down to the comments and see hundreds of comments from Linux users who have mistaken the article for anything other than satire. A very vocal group of people, the article was right!

So basically, there's a lot of things which contribute to it. The kind of people who get really heated over the "OS-Wars" are, in my opinion anyway, idiots. I personally don't care if you use Windows, or Mac, or Linux. I do feel very strongly about open-source and all that stuff, but that's because it suits me personally. I would feel the same way regardless of the OS I was using. I just find Linux to suit my needs the best at this point in time, and I like the community here.

Trebuchet
March 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I'm beginning to suspect the real reason people defend their own and bash others is validation. Most people want confirmation they made the right choice; so they'll defend themselves from statements which imply they may have made the wrong one. We're social animals; most of us seek approval on some level.

euler_fan
March 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM
It's like talking about your car. Everyone loves there own car, no matter how it runs, until they get something else.

This is very true.

At the same time, while I have never been out and out harassed or insulted for being a linux user, I admit that I am at college and a math major, so when people I know hear I am a linux user, I mostly get "It figures" of "Of course you would".

super breadfish
March 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Well I tend to just be thankful they have heard of Linux. Most conversations I've had about Linux with the Windows crowd go a bit like this:

"Have you tried Linux?"
"No I don't play games"
"No, Linux, the operating system."
"Operating system?"....](*,)

The few people that do know about Linux write it off because it doesn't have many games.

Mateo
March 11th, 2007, 04:58 PM
it's part of "fanboyism". people become fanatically devoted to consumer products and flame people who use something that's "not the best". it's kind of weird.

gus sett
March 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Here's one perspective, or maybe three. For some it's like

another room in the same building. :lolflag: For others it's

a house on the same block. :) Then there's

the place of worship in the next town... :confused: /:guitar:

Bloch
March 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM
There's the opposite experience too.

I have broadband while a lot of my friends don't. We also have quite a few visitors from abroad.

Most people check their email (do I click this little globe for the internet?), play stuff on youtube and talk on skype without asking what operating system it is. I show them my music collection on AmaroK and they browse through it.

My friends are mainly non-techies. I never tell them what OS it is unless they ask, or unless I have to explain to them that they can't have AmaroK because it doesn't run on windows.

saulgoode
March 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM
At the same time, while I have never been out and out harassed or insulted for being a linux user, I admit that I am at college and a math major, so when people I know hear I am a linux user, I mostly get "It figures" of "Of course you would".

What a wonderful compliment. :)

EdThaSlayer
March 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM
They are just protective of the OS they have trusted for years. Its like telling someone to move out of the house they were born in(even if the house wasn't that great). When people get attached to things they will try anything to defend that.

aysiu
March 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM
People take pride in the choices they make. Sometimes... they take too much pride.

I'll defend my choice of Ubuntu any day, but I won't start getting all up in someone's face about how good Ubuntu is just because she says she uses another operating system.

I've finally come to the place where I appreciate things about all three major desktop platforms--Mac, Windows, and Linux.

teaker1s
March 11th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I'm use what suits you and let people think what ever they like, lets face it people don't like feeling stupid-plus it's impossible to educate someone who doesn't want to learn.

My reply when someone asks what I use I say linux- if they are interested then I explain more, If they go bashing, I say well your operating system suits your needs, for me it's too inflexible and expensive.
Mention compiling/programing and they flee in terror for their retail box set version lol

karellen
March 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM
live and let live, my ideal :). the people that go crazy when talking about an os are the kind unsure and frustrated people. talk about their clothes, books they read, cars they drive, it doesn't matter. they'll overreact...

teaker1s
March 11th, 2007, 07:43 PM
ignorrance=fear=over reaction, they feel they need a fight to the death that they are right-rather than admit that there are viable alternatives

Quillz
March 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hey guys,

I been noticing that when I compare Linux to another OS in a friendly talk or when I am chatting with somebody about maybe going with Linux, people come out of the wood work or make a point to bash saying things like Linux blows or its too hard to use or it is free so it must suck. I just find it amazing ! I do not think I am overbearing when I talk about Linux , I mean I do talk about other stuff.

The Worst in this Group seem to be Mac users ( I am one myself ) and then followed by the Microsoft Crowd ( Yes I have Vista too). I get questions like how long did it take you to get the DVD Working ? Which I replyed a few hours ( I was playing and experimenting ) But no I am stupid because they installed it in 15 minates because they read the How-to's. I just hate been made to feel stupid just because I dared to compare a friggin OS.

Why must people do this there are alot of OS's out there pick one you like, but keep a open mind about stuff.

I prefer to Learn,tweak,and understand then to simply use, I love the freedom to look under the hood and maybe one day make something better, don't like restrictive software ELUA's

Sigh thanks for letting me Rant

PS now if I could get Wine to work :lolflag:
When you say x is better than x, you're making a comparison, obviously. So when you say how x element of Linux is better than x element of Windows to a Windows user, you're "insulting" them because they may get the impression that you think you're better than them. People are very sensitive to stuff like this.

Somenoob
March 11th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I usually win the derbates that I encounter by pointing out the better portability, stability, flexibility,a security and speed of GNU/Linux distros. Windows users already know this so they rarely talk about it. Most mac users are too ignorant of other systems, they even(ironically) bash BSD, which their own OS is based on.

Pikestaff
March 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Most of the time I haven't encountered this problem (fortunately), but I have recently noticed a few people I know who will get really touchy and defensive about their choice to upgrade to Vista... almost as though they've had so many people tell them what's wrong with Vista that they automatically feel compelled to defend it and talk about what's so great about it.

Most of the time when my friends get really super-defensive about Vista I agree with some of their points (it is quite shiny) and then, if they're interested, I'll calmly tell them why I chose Linux instead. Most of the time they're willing to listen so long as you're very civil about it and respect their choice. :) I think that probably helps the image of non-Windows users... or users of any OS... more than anything.