PDA

View Full Version : Why did you install the latest NVidia drivers?

david_2001
March 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I'm just being curious. I don't have the latest drivers from nvidia.com installed at the moment because the Ubuntu nvidia-glx package works perfectly well, but used to install them as routine under Debian and, before that, Slackware purely because I could get a clear, centred display on the monitor that I had at the time without having to use the custom ModeLine that the nv driver required, and there were no working packages available.

EDIT: Just for clarity, by "latest nvidia drivers" I meant the latest version of the nvidia drivers that can be downloaded from nvidia.com (1.0-9755) and installed using the nvidia installer, and not the Ubuntu-packaged version of the drivers (1.0-8776) that can be installed with Synaptic.

Me, I have the Ubuntu version installed and AIGLX/Beryl works just fine.

beefcurry
March 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I need them for 3D accelerated Tasks such as games (WoW) and Beryl. I cant really do those tasks without them.

Nikron
March 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, for Beryl, and twinview. Plus it really does give me a boost in performance over the nv drivers.

steveneddy
March 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
"Never give up. Never surrender." Commander Peter Quincy Taggart, Galaxy Quest (1999)

Heartily agree....

-SE

FuturePilot
March 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I get greatly increased performance. The screen savers are faster, movies play better, color blending is better, and of course Beryl.

steveneddy
March 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Sorry - I haven't had to install nVidia drivers since buying a System76 laptop with Edgy. I just installed Beryl and everything is good - wobbly goodness - *drools on keyboard*

but my older PIII maching with PCI graphics (nVidia) needed the drivers to look good - the nv drivers wouldn't work w/ Beryl.

I love Beryl.

I have hesitated from installing the latest drivers on the lappie because - well - it doesn't need it - it looks great and Beryl looks beautimus. Video performance is very good, especially when watching full screen DVD's. it's awesome.

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2 Ghz
nVidia card w/ 256 mb RAM

Edgy

-SE

pkslot
March 11th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I had to, i made a fresh install of 6.10 :)