PDA

View Full Version : What is the best virtualization software for Linux?

Quillz
March 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
The two that interest me most are VMWare Workstation and Parallels Workstation, both of which have editions available for Windows and Linux. Of those two, which is better? Also, which one do you think is the easiest to use, even if it sacrifices features?

Quillz
March 11th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Also, on a somewhat related note, I can find VMWare Player in the repos, but not Workstation. Do I have to download it and install it on my own, or is there a way to get it to show up in the repos?

maniacmusician
March 11th, 2007, 11:48 PM
The best in my opinion is VirtualBox (http://virtualbox.org ). For me, and most others, it completely outclasses VMWare Player/Server/Workstation.

As for downloading workstation, I'm pretty sure you have to pay for a license. Player and Server are free, but I don't think workstation is.

another advantage to VirtualBox besides it being faster and smoother; it's free and Free.

Quillz
March 11th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Hmm... I'll try VirtualBox, then.

And yes, Workstation is not free, but I thought it would still be in the repos.

LookTJ
March 12th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Have you tried the vmware howto on here? I'll get link for you. I'll say vmware.

edit: here what I found: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=183209&highlight=vmware

.t.
March 12th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Qemu with KQemu, although harder to set up, is also a good Free alternative.

maniacmusician
March 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Qemu with KQemu, although harder to set up, is also a good Free alternative.
Virtualbox is sort of based on those. It shares some of the code, but it implements some other techniques such as caching that greatly improve the speed of the VM

.t.
March 12th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Yes. Indeed. And I'm very pro-VirtualBox (and, to be explicit, note that when I have virtualising to do, that's what I use, following SVN development). However, it's not in the repositories; whereas kqemu and qemu are.

Although, the V-Box code cannot be based too much from KQemu, as that was only recently open-sourced.

maniacmusician
March 12th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Yes. Indeed. And I'm very pro-VirtualBox (and, to be explicit, note that when I have virtualising to do, that's what I use, following SVN development). However, it's not in the repositories; whereas kqemu and qemu are.

Although, the V-Box code cannot be based too much from KQemu, as that was only recently open-sourced.
yes, it's not too much code, but there is some.

I also understood that Virtualbox was supposed to be in the repos for Feisty. (or perhaps included by default) Even without that, it's a simple download away, but I totally understand your point.

Quillz
March 12th, 2007, 02:11 AM

Will VirtualBox ever be in the repos?

maniacmusician
March 12th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Will VirtualBox ever be in the repos?
http://virtualbox.org/wiki/News

Look particularly at February 12th. I am not sure if this news is accurate, but it should at least make it into the repos at some point.

baobab68
March 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I don't see it in the repos, but it has turned up in recent releases of Automatix, if that helps.

mips
March 13th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Also, on a somewhat related note, I can find VMWare Player in the repos, but not Workstation. Do I have to download it and install it on my own, or is there a way to get it to show up in the repos?

Workstation is NOT free. Player & Server are though. If you are looking at the vmware products get the Server version.

Another option is KVM if your cpu supports it.

afljafa
March 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I tried KVM over the past week. It`s not really there yet (Which is unsurprising) but one to look forward to for the future.

Have not tried VirtualBox in the nix environment but if it`s anything like the Windows version I will give it a big miss. An awful buggy mess.

My preference is for Vmware Server. A very polished and well supported package.

Onyros
March 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I've had a few friends saying the exact same thing of the Virtualbox Windows client, it does suck, and is in no way to comparable to VMWare on that platform (Windows).

BUT, on Linux... it's a whole different story. It is THE best, it beats any of the VMWare products by a lot in terms of speed and functionality.

Quillz
March 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I don't see it in the repos, but it has turned up in recent releases of Automatix, if that helps.
How recent are the builds that include it? I've been trying to install Automatix on Feisty Fawn Herd 5, but I don't think it's supported yet.

Workstation is NOT free. Player & Server are though. If you are looking at the vmware products get the Server version.

Another option is KVM if your cpu supports it.
Yes, I know Workstation is not free. I use it on my Windows box. But I thought it might still be in the repos since there are non-free channels.

maniacmusician
March 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
How recent are the builds that include it? I've been trying to install Automatix on Feisty Fawn Herd 5, but I don't think it's supported yet.

Yes, I know Workstation is not free. I use it on my Windows box. But I thought it might still be in the repos since there are non-free channels.
you can install the edgy version on Feisty for now. It compiles stuff during the installation, so it doesn't really have to be release-specific. Just make sure you have the kernel headers installed, and then download the edgy version from their site. I'm using it on feisty as well.

Quillz
March 13th, 2007, 07:02 PM
you can install the edgy version on Feisty for now. It compiles stuff during the installation, so it doesn't really have to be release-specific. Just make sure you have the kernel headers installed, and then download the edgy version from their site. I'm using it on feisty as well.
I am using Kubuntu and it never worked. Is it only for Ubuntu?

maniacmusician
March 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I am using Kubuntu and it never worked. Is it only for Ubuntu?
I'm using Kubuntu as well. What do you mean it didn't work? You have to have your kernel headers installed, of course.

And when you downlaod and try to run it, it will complain about a couple of dependencies. (like libxalan or libxerces or something like that), so you just install those and you're good to go.

It's working perfectl for me on Kubuntu Feisty. I have 3 VM's running simultaneously right now using VirtualBox

dannyboy79
March 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
anyone tried xen yet?

Quillz
March 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm using Kubuntu as well. What do you mean it didn't work? You have to have your kernel headers installed, of course.

And when you downlaod and try to run it, it will complain about a couple of dependencies. (like libxalan or libxerces or something like that), so you just install those and you're good to go.

It's working perfectl for me on Kubuntu Feisty. I have 3 VM's running simultaneously right now using VirtualBox
I followed the instructions on the wiki, from adding the header files to sources.list to downloading the software itself. It installed, but never loaded.

maniacmusician
March 13th, 2007, 07:38 PM
...adding the sources.list? what?
http://virtualbox.org/download/1.3.6/VirtualBox_1.3.6_Ubuntu_edgy_i386.deb <---that's the file for Edgy. Download it, and install it.

You don't have to make any modifications to sources.list....where would you get that idea?

Quillz
March 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
...adding the sources.list? what?
http://virtualbox.org/download/1.3.6/VirtualBox_1.3.6_Ubuntu_edgy_i386.deb <---that's the file for Edgy. Download it, and install it.

You don't have to make any modifications to sources.list....where would you get that idea?
I was talking about Automatix, not Virtualbox. But thanks for the .deb... I was looking for it.

maniacmusician
March 13th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I was talking about Automatix, not Virtualbox. But thanks for the .deb... I was looking for it.
Oh, you should have been a little clearer :) As I said in the other thread (the one about Automatix), there's no version for Feisty, and there probably won't be until Feisty is released. If you're using Feisty, you really shouldn't need Automatix anyways :)

afljafa
March 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I've had a few friends saying the exact same thing of the Virtualbox Windows client, it does suck, and is in no way to comparable to VMWare on that platform (Windows).

Good to hear.

BUT, on Linux... it's a whole different story. It is THE best, it beats any of the VMWare products by a lot in terms of speed and functionality.

In the desktop environment I would agree (even though I had problems with it, it was very quick from what I could see) - but in the server environment (which is my only interest) Vmware Server is by far the better choice.

aretei
March 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Well Virtualbox is licensed under GPL whereas no other programs aren't so I'd suggest using Virtualbox.
(oddly enough virtualbox asked me to agree with their terms of use PUEL or something)