PDA

View Full Version : Starting development under Ubuntu????

Zingam
May 30th, 2005, 09:53 AM
So I have installed 5.04. I have also GCC 3.5.5 and Mono 1.1.7.

Can you please recommend me what do I need to start Linux development from here on? Actually I'm interested in graphics programming (OpenGL + C++ + SDL, evtl. GNOME programming no KDE plz) and C# programming (ASP.NET and multiplatform Windows.Forms programs).

Note: Since I cannot connect to the internet I have do download all packages manually. I'm using flash-get not apt-get ](*,) \\:D/

What IDE would you recommend? I'd prefer something simple, fast with intergrated debugging.

fastluck
May 31st, 2005, 09:00 PM
So I have installed 5.04. I have also GCC 3.5.5 and Mono 1.1.7.

What IDE would you recommend? I'd prefer something simple, fast with intergrated debugging.

Install kdevelop and try it out.

John

jerome bettis
May 31st, 2005, 09:52 PM
www.eclipse.org

it's not exactly lightweight but it's nice and has a lot of sweet plugins.

"I'd prefer something simple, fast with intergrated debugging."

command line, vim, Makefile, and ddd ;-)

mendicant
May 31st, 2005, 10:13 PM
eclipse is not great for C/C++ (you can try it out: http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/ with a 3.0 version of eclipse); the Java stuff is great, the C++, not so great.

You could look into anjuta (a Gnome IDE), and monodevelop . emacs might meet your needs, depending on your definition of simple.

Zingam
June 5th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Anjuta seems the way to go. Monodevelop does not work very nice. Actually it does not start 4 of 5 times and requires a complete reboot. I don't get what's wrong. Perhaps a bug. I hate emacs, eclipse - uhm - no Java for me please! KDevelop is nice - I tried it on Knoppix - great. I tried to install it on Debian - no thanks! Won't do it again! Also I prefer GNOME and I'll go for GNOME only stuff.