PDA

View Full Version : help with making a new computer

TheGreenMutt
March 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
ok so im fianly got the money to make my own desktop and ive helped enough friends to understand how to make it my question is what should i put in it. i went to newegg and a few other sites like it but i start looking for what i need and i get lost. like what should i pick first and make compatable to it what pieces should i go really go good on and were can i save some money ( i game so what pieces exacly are immportant to that) and other questions. any links to sites that would answers my questions would help to. if you need any other info just ask.

oilchangeguy
March 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
pick the parts your budget will allow from newegg, and google them to see if they'll work with ubuntu. for example type, xyz video card ubuntu, and see what comes up in google. also see the article in the march 2006 issue of smart computing at www.smartcomputing.com, titled the thrifty pc.

strikeback03
March 10th, 2007, 07:44 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/

is a good place to start for general ideas about components. They have lots of reviews and comparisons and such as well.

Gaming in Linux is still somewhat hit-and-miss. Will you be dual-booting Windows? For example, an overclocked Intel E4300 is probably the best processor bargain, but most of the P965 chipset motherboards use the JMicron IDE controller, which is not compatible with the kernel that comes with the Edgy Live CD. So if you want IDE devices it can be an issue. That is why you will need to search on Linux compatibility.

groeswenphil
March 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I did that.
It fanally came to life last week.

I call it my Johhny Cash computer, because I built it one piece at a time, it's black and slightly flat.

I'l be honest.....I don't know why I bothered.
I could have bought a decent machine for a lot less money than I spent.

However.........if you're going to go ahead, here were my thoughts as I proceeded.

I bought a fast processor........one fast enough to run Vista. (AMD 64)
I haven't installed Vista, but should I want to at some time in the future, then I can.
I got 1Gb of Ram memory.
Ubuntu will probably run on half that, but once again, I was thinking of the future and Vista.
I bought a 180Gb hard drive which I've partitioned 50%. I wish I'd bought a bigger one as soon as I'd entered my pin number......even though I've only got about 10Gb of stored data on my old machine.

I bought a CD/DVD drive with HP Lightscribe technology.
It prints labels onto the disks. I think it's pretty cool although the images are just in one colour. They look a bit retro but save time fiddling with sticky labels.
I was however suprised to discover just how long it takes to print a Lightscribe label (half hour)

I bought a cheap set of speakers, which is a shame......I love music.
Big mistake.......I needed a thin case to fit in with the furniture plan....sad I know, but true......this means that I had a limited choice of fan and the computer is quite noisy.

Good choice was my Samsung SyncMaster 732n monitor. Really nice.

Best choice of all though was Ubuntu, which has been just so easy to set up. Yes, I still can't get Real Player to work in Firefox and I can't read my Windows drive, but I'll get there in the end.

Hope that helps.
Phil from Wales.

TheGreenMutt
March 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM
ya ill be duel booting useing windows to game mostly mmo's but i do some fps. and linux for most of my other uses surfing internet and such.

groeswenphil
March 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I don't know whether an AMD 64 was a good choice.

Problem is because of the chip, I can't get Picasa or Flash to work.

I expect they can both be made to work, but I think you need at least a Brown Belt, probably a Black Belt to get them working.
Phil

SouthernGorilla
March 10th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Like oilchangeguy said, make absolutely sure the parts you get will work with ubuntu before you buy them. I was misled into thinking there were Linux drivers for my soundcard, now I have a rather expensive and completely useless card taking up space in my case. Other than that, get the biggest and fastest of everything you can afford, but keep it balanced. No sense having a superfast CPU and sticking it with 256k of RAM.

gus sett
March 14th, 2007, 01:48 AM
speakers are easy to supplement with little or no regret. I used a $10us Ipod
amplification set until I found a set I liked at 2X more in price, a logitech mm28
from buy.com. Not sure however about availability in Europe. My 2nd choice
would have been the Maxell P-18 also at buy.com, which includes referral outlets
worth checking for specs as well as price. Savvy buyers can find a Sonic Impact SI-5
bundled with a carry case that holds 28 CDs (DVDs). Maxell also makes a 3-pc
set including subwoofer within $10 more, but it doesn't run on batteries.
I bought its predecessor with the box-shaped swoof a few years back and
it's decent. Point is, you can get several speaker sets for the price of a moderate
set if you are so inclined.

As for assembling a PC and avoiding pieces that can increase headache, you
can also model based upon a major OEM configuration priced somewhat higher
than you can spend, and track down the individual subcomponents. It's fairly
ease to do online, and most department store retailers are very helpful in this
regard, too. The good ones don't mind too much if you compare. :-$

I did that.
It fanally came to life last week.

I call it my Johhny Cash computer, because I built it one piece at a time, it's black and slightly flat.

I'l be honest.....I don't know why I bothered.
I could have bought a decent machine for a lot less money than I spent.

However.........if you're going to go ahead, here were my thoughts as I proceeded.

I bought a fast processor........one fast enough to run Vista. (AMD 64)
I haven't installed Vista, but should I want to at some time in the future, then I can.
I got 1Gb of Ram memory.
Ubuntu will probably run on half that, but once again, I was thinking of the future and Vista.
I bought a 180Gb hard drive which I've partitioned 50%. I wish I'd bought a bigger one as soon as I'd entered my pin number......even though I've only got about 10Gb of stored data on my old machine.

I bought a CD/DVD drive with HP Lightscribe technology.
It prints labels onto the disks. I think it's pretty cool although the images are just in one colour. They look a bit retro but save time fiddling with sticky labels.
I was however suprised to discover just how long it takes to print a Lightscribe label (half hour)

I bought a cheap set of speakers, which is a shame......I love music.
Big mistake.......I needed a thin case to fit in with the furniture plan....sad I know, but true......this means that I had a limited choice of fan and the computer is quite noisy.

Good choice was my Samsung SyncMaster 732n monitor. Really nice.

Best choice of all though was Ubuntu, which has been just so easy to set up. Yes, I still can't get Real Player to work in Firefox and I can't read my Windows drive, but I'll get there in the end.

Hope that helps.
Phil from Wales.