PDA

View Full Version : What games would you like to see ported to Linux?

Ironi
May 30th, 2005, 06:54 AM
First off, I apologize if something similar has been done before (I didn't even search -- for shame). That done...

As the title asks, what games--past, present, or future--would you like to have native Linux clients for? Would you be willing to purchase a Linux client for games which you already paid for? What games might you purchase if a Linux client were released for free?

FYI: I'm doing this purely out of curiousity, although gaming companies could possibly consider such information valuable. As for me:

I already own the content/data files for these, and I probably would pay up to $5 each for a Linux port of their clients:
Planescape: Torment
System Shock 2
Starcraft
Deus Ex
Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption
No One Lives Forever
Morrowind and expansions
Gothic 1 and 2
Warcraft 2: BattleNet Edition
Heroes of Might & Magic 2 and 3

I already own the content/data files for the following. I'd like to have a Linux client for them, but I am not willing to pay for it:
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
Heroes of Might & Magic 4
Tribes 1 and 2
Half-Life
Diablo 1 and 2

I might be willing to purchase the following games if Linux clients were to be made available:
World of Warcraft
Guild Wars
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Half-Life 2 (well... maybe)

That's all for now; I may add more later.

TravisNewman
May 30th, 2005, 06:55 AM
I'll put it simply:
all of them

I want to have the comfort of buying a game and not having to worry about whether Linux or Cedega can run it.

The Producer
May 30th, 2005, 07:08 AM
I'd love to see the Command and Conquer series ported to Linux (especially Tiberian Sun, Renegade and Generals)

I already own these games, and if such a thing were ever done, I'd be willing to pay a small amount to get the Linux executables, but for newer games (like the upcoming Red Alert 3), i'd pay full price...for any Linux game.

ltmon
May 30th, 2005, 07:47 AM
There's already a native port of Heroes 3!!

It was produced by Lokigames a while back, but they've since gone out of business :(

I have it from way back, but I'm not sure where you'd get it nowdays. I still play it at least once a week, and my girlfriend is addicted to it (as I was a few years ago when I first tried it). The biggest downer is that none of the expansion packs were ported.

Maybe someone out there is still reselling Loki games???

Don't forget to check out the upcoming Heroes 5 (announced so far for Windows only). It looks like it might be improving a bit on the dissapointing Heroes 4, and is being made by Ubisoft who have been doing pretty well lately. Maybe a good reason for me to finally get Cedega.

L

(Heroes addict since HOMM 1)

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I've seen Tribes native on Linux as well. Can't remember what versions or anything though.

Monchy
May 30th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I agree with panickedthumb, I'd like to see all, or most of the current PC games out there today ported over to linux. However if I had to pick a couple right now, i'd say Live 2005 and MVP Baseball 2005, both titles are deep when it comes to the dynasty modes and i can't live without them :cry:

Whistler
May 30th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I don't like playing those "new" games which are mostly too big, and I don't like any proprietary programs in general.

However as most of these games uses DirectX, it's just nearly impossible to get a GNU/Linux version of them without completely rewriting. And I don't think those companies will even bother doing so.

also Wine (as well as those proprietary offsprings of it) sometimes doesn't work very well.

Mez
May 30th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Ah yes, the only reason why I havent wiped my Windows partition, the simple fact of Games.

I work for iguk (Ineratctive gaming UK - http://www.irguk.org) and we run game tournaments there.

I dont mind rebooting , but I'd love full Call Of Duty and Full Dawn of War uspport in Linux ;)

UbuWu
May 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I'd love to see the Command and Conquer series ported to Linux (especially Tiberian Sun, Renegade and Generals)

Some work in progress: FreeCnC http://freecnc-sf.holarse.net/

Lovechild
May 30th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Scrabble Online would be good

totalshredder
May 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Well, I kind of gave up on gaming about 5 years ago when I couldn't run games on windows anyways cause of how slow my computers were. Since then I bought a gaming consule and have been happy with that. The nice thing is that I absolutely don't have to worry about hardware.

Games I'd like to see ported:
Madden
Half-Life 2
Age of Empires 2 (I still play that with friends, such a great game ;) )

Luke

WildTangent
May 30th, 2005, 04:44 PM
ATM the games i most want to see ports for are Dawn of War and Half Life 2, but i agree with thumb, all games should be linux compatible, even if you have to buy the windows version, and use its key to validate a linux version download

-Wild

poofyhairguy
May 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Shockwave and all of those silly web games that my mom likes.

kassetra
May 30th, 2005, 08:41 PM
MYST! Any and all of the titles in the Myst series!
Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyst! heh. :)

Dave88
May 31st, 2005, 02:27 AM
I'd love to see games command and conquer (series)
and GTA games ported to linux but I hear that they run under cedega/

Ironi
May 31st, 2005, 04:45 AM
There's already a native port of Heroes 3!!

Maybe someone out there is still reselling Loki games???

Tuxgames has it, but it's $27. Right now that's a bit more than I want to pay since I already purchased the Windows version. I might eventually buy it though... I'll have to look into emulation options a bit more (I know that it used to run mostly flawless under vanilla wine).

Don't forget to check out the upcoming Heroes 5 (announced so far for Windows only). It looks like it might be improving a bit on the dissapointing Heroes 4, and is being made by Ubisoft who have been doing pretty well lately.

Hmm, I'll check it out. :)

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I've seen Tribes native on Linux as well. Can't remember what versions or anything though.
Tribes 2 was ported by Loki. That doesn't seem to be available from TG, however. I wouldn't pay for it again regardless: it's nearly dead as far as multiplayer goes (http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=420&s=1), not to mention that GameSpy (ugh) was offering the Windows version for free download (http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/tribes2/).

On the other hand, Legends (http://happypenguin.org/show?Legends) is a lot like Tribes (it uses the Torque engine as well; freeware but not open source).

Also, I recently (re)discovered GemRB (http://gemrb.sourceforge.net/) - an open source Infinity Engine emulator [BG, BG2, PS:T]. Amazingly enough, it's still active and appears to be making some progress. :)

kassetra
May 31st, 2005, 04:56 AM
hmmm EQ2 would make me moderately happy as well. heh. :)

bored2k
May 31st, 2005, 05:05 AM
Final Fantasy X. I don't care if its a console only. The game rocks. Auron rocks.

benplaut
May 31st, 2005, 05:37 AM
MYST! Any and all of the titles in the Myst series!
Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyst! heh. :)

ditto to that :grin: ... i love myst

i also want to see Microsoft Flight Simulator (2004 or the upcoming 2006) ported, but that won't happen with a game by Microsoft ](*,)

bored2k
May 31st, 2005, 05:41 AM
Also, a bunch of those decent FPS I so love. Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Counter-Strike:Source, Battlefield's.

Trivial Pursuit would rock (with some extra computing questions ;)).

Brunellus
May 31st, 2005, 06:22 AM
Everyone else is going to ask for FPS and RTS games, so I'll ask for something else.

Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri.
Civilization 3. Yes, I am aware of the FreeCiv project, but that just doesn't cut it, sorry.

The Total War series from Creative Assembly (Shogun, Mideval, Rome...).

Rising Sun (little-regarded but interesting turn-based, batallion-scale wargame about the Pacific War)

Some oldies but goodies that I'd want:
Prince of Persia. No, I don't mean any of the new ones--just the original Jordan Mechner game.
The entire Wing Commander series.
Fallout & Fallout 2

ltmon
May 31st, 2005, 06:52 AM
Everyone else is going to ask for FPS and RTS games, so I'll ask for something else.

Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri.
Civilization 3. Yes, I am aware of the FreeCiv project, but that just doesn't cut it, sorry.

The Total War series from Creative Assembly (Shogun, Mideval, Rome...).

Rising Sun (little-regarded but interesting turn-based, batallion-scale wargame about the Pacific War)

Some oldies but goodies that I'd want:
Prince of Persia. No, I don't mean any of the new ones--just the original Jordan Mechner game.
The entire Wing Commander series.
Fallout & Fallout 2

Alpha Centauri (and an expansion pack) is already ported, again by Loki. I have a paid for edition I got when they first released it, but I'm not sure where you'd get it now.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (which I harped on about in a previous post) is an excellent turn-based strategy.

Brunellus
May 31st, 2005, 11:34 AM
SMAC is already gone. Loki doesn't sell it anymore. You have a rare, precious commodity.

Heroes of Might and Magic isn't what I had in mind. Sure, I mean, leading an army of the undead is cool, but Rising Sun let you get a very real sense of the fighting at places like Guadalcanal and Leyte. It's one of the few grognard games I actually dig.

Speaking of grognard games--or rather, a wargame designed NOT to be a grognard game--I'd also want a port of Chris Crawford's "Patton Strikes Back" (1993? 1994?); a delightfully simple, yet not overly-simplified game about the Battle of the Bulge. And while I'm at it, a port of his Cold War strategy game Balance of Power (originally released for Windows 2.0).

Almost all the games I'd want ported are more than two years old anyway. In some cases, they're over ten years old. I'm not even asking for new versions of these games, just plain old ports. I wish game developers would go ahead & opensource their old abandonware...the authors of StarControl 2 did this, and I've been able to enjoy probably one of the best PC games ever in its new, OS incarnation as The Ur-Quan Masters.

UbuWu
May 31st, 2005, 02:17 PM
Almost all the games I'd want ported are more than two years old anyway. In some cases, they're over ten years old. I'm not even asking for new versions of these games, just plain old ports.

Most of the ten year old or even older games are DOS games. You can run almost all of them without problems using dosbox (it is in the repositories). I enjoy playing lemmings! \\:D/

Ironi
May 31st, 2005, 10:49 PM
Almost all the games I'd want ported are more than two years old anyway. In some cases, they're over ten years old. I'm not even asking for new versions of these games, just plain old ports. I wish game developers would go ahead & opensource their old abandonware...the authors of StarControl 2 did this, and I've been able to enjoy probably one of the best PC games ever in its new, OS incarnation as The Ur-Quan Masters.
Some developers do: http://liberatedgames.org/ [edit: no distinction is made between open source and freely released binaries+data]

Sadly, I think that we'll end up with more of those than native client ports of commercial games. Emulation and the like seem to be the order of the day... which isn't a very good sign, considering what happened to the last OS that depended overmuch on emulation of another. [Yes, I'm aware that "wine is not an emulator."]

hammett111
July 7th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I already own these games, and if such a thing were ever done, I'd be willing to pay a small amount to get the Linux executables, but for newer games (like the upcoming Red Alert 3), i'd pay full price...for any Linux game.

Tiberian Sun is already ported

NeoChaosX
July 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I'd like to see one of the Jazz Jackrabbit games ported. I love Jazz 2, and Linux could use more platformers since SuperTux's progress is so slow.

SKLP
July 7th, 2005, 10:28 AM
World of Warcraft

skoal
July 7th, 2005, 04:15 PM
ms. pacman

\\//_

Primos
July 8th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Call of duty
World of Warcraft
Final Fantasy 7 :wink:

KiwiNZ
July 8th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Panzer General 1 and 2
Peoples General

Just for old times sake, I played those games for hours and hours and hours.