PDA

View Full Version : Gnome-Do

Pages : [1] 2

davidsiegel
September 20th, 2007, 05:30 AM
You might want to take a look at GNOME Do (https://launchpad.net/gc)

dada1958
September 20th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Thanks ... DeskbarApplet and Tracker do the job pretty well by now and without Mono :-)

davidsiegel
September 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
What's wrong with Mono? Don't tell me it's slow.

bennyp
October 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I get a build error with GNOME Do. It says it can't find metadata file Mono.Cairo

Incense
October 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Katapult is fantastic! Acts a bit strange on gnome though....

davidsiegel
October 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I get a build error with GNOME Do. It says it can't find metadata file Mono.Cairo

Are you building from a bzr branch (trunk-md) or from the tarball? Can you please report the bug at http://launchpad.net/gc so we can continue the discussion there?

davidsiegel
October 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Are you building from a bzr branch (trunk-md) or from the tarball? Can you please report the bug at http://launchpad.net/gc so we can continue the discussion there?

Oops, looks like you're way ahead of me. I'll take a look at it. You can try the stable tarball instead--this could be a monodevelop-related bug.

davidsiegel
October 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Oh, don't forget http://blog.davebsd.com/2007/10/04/make-gnome-do-slicker-with-compiz-animations/. This will make Do even sexier.

bennyp
November 1st, 2007, 01:46 PM
That is to say, I didn't install mono.cairo, and configure forgot to search.

ice60
November 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
i use gnome-launch-box, i posted about it the other day. but, it seems i'm about the only person who's managed to get it installed and working, i've no idea why?? lol
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=596174

ckempo
November 8th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Now that Quicksilver has gone opensource, you might just see it in an Ubuntu installation near you...

daz4126
November 8th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I didn't know it had been open sourced. That sounds like brilliant news. Let's hope a linux port is not too far away...

DAZ

davidsiegel
November 10th, 2007, 04:23 PM
It looks like a Linux port of QS is never going to happen. It is tied to the Mac platform more than most programs. GNOME Do is a viable alternative, though:

http://launchpad.net/gc

Here's a preliminary package: 49740

By the way, it trounces GNOME Launch Box; however, it's no Quicksilver... yet.

ice60
November 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM
It looks like a Linux port of QS is never going to happen. It is tied to the Mac platform more than most programs. GNOME Do is a viable alternative, though:

http://launchpad.net/gc

Here's a preliminary package: 49740

By the way, it trounces GNOME Launch Box; however, it's no Quicksilver... yet.
the video's got you in it lol

ice60
November 10th, 2007, 04:59 PM
i'll try it when i'm next in ubuntu, suse doesn't have ndesk-dbus, what is it??

davidsiegel
November 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
DBus is a framework for interprocess communication. Do uses it to check if another instance of GNOME Do is already running, and if it finds one, it tells it to show its window.

ice60
November 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM
i know the DBus :) i'll try it on my laptop later.

dada1958
November 11th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I tried it, it looks nice, but here it's not even usable at its current stage.

davidsiegel
November 11th, 2007, 01:47 AM
What's not usable about it? I'm the lead developer and your feedback is really appreciated. If you tell me what is unusable I can fix it.

Keep in mind that is is my first public release. The version is 0.0.1 - I have a long way to go until 1.0. If you tell me that it needs preferences or other niceties, all I can say is that's coming.

davidsiegel
November 11th, 2007, 01:55 AM
You might also want to try some addins: http://davebsd.com/do/addins

Place them in ~/.do/addins and restart the program.

More instructions can be found on the project website, http://launchpad.net/gc

maruchan
November 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM
How do I bind Gnome-Do to a key combo? I couldn't find the app in gconf-editor.

davidsiegel
November 11th, 2007, 02:37 AM
By default, the key combo is <Super>space (super is your apple/windows key). Unfortunately there is no way to change this at the moment without recompiling.

Actually, once gnome-do is running, the command gnome-do will simply show the main window. Or, if you want an even faster activation:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.Do (http://org.gnome.do/) /org/gnome/Do/Commander org.gnome.Do.Commander.Show

FYI: maruchan, I just commited a patch to the code that will let you change a value in gconf to change the keybinding. Look for an updated package in a week or so. Thanks!

dada1958
November 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM
What's not usable about it? I'm the lead developer and your feedback is really appreciated. If you tell me what is unusable I can fix it.

Keep in mind that is is my first public release. The version is 0.0.1 - I have a long way to go until 1.0. If you tell me that it needs preferences or other niceties, all I can say is that's coming.
I'm using the 64-bits Gibbon and I installed the tar.gz. When I type gedit to launch it gnome-do doesn't show the app, same case with gimp. It does show others, e.g. abiword and inkscape. When I type the name of certain ducuments I often use, gnome-do doesn't show them.
Maybe it has to do with this error when I installed libmono-cairo2.0-cil, see attachment.

daz4126
November 11th, 2007, 11:11 AM
super + space only works for me once the app is running, could this not launch it too?

The preferences option is not available to me, is this correct?

Nice start though ... hopefully it will get more and more like quicksilver.

DAZ

daz4126
November 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'm using the 64-bits Gibbon and I installed the tar.gz. When I type gedit to launch it gnome-do doesn't show the app, same case with gimp. It does show others, e.g. abiword and inkscape. When I type the name of certain ducuments I often use, gnome-do doesn't show them.
Maybe it has to do with this error when I installed libmono-cairo2.0-cil, see attachment.

gimp works for me. you need to type text editor to launch gedit.

What is the difference between this and the deskbar applet that is now included by default in Gutsy?

DAZ

davidsiegel
November 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Yes, gedit is aliased as "Text Editor" because that is what GNOME calls it. dada, daz and I both get GIMP to come up - is your GIMP desktop file located here: /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop? GNOME Do looks for desktop files in that folder (and some others). If you did a custom install of GIMP, you may have this desktop file in a different location.

The difference between this and the deskbar applet is that this should be faster, and it uses a different interaction model.

I'm not sure what your shortcut is set to, but if you build from the bzr development branch, it's <Super>space with the ability to change it in gconf. This shortcut only activates the program once it's running, it cannot be launched this way.

You are correct - there are no preferences yet.

GNOME Do doesn't search all of your documents. It only indexes a couple levels down in /home, ~, ~/Documents, ~/Pictures, and ~/Music.

daz4126
November 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Is there a way to launch the program in the background on startup? It just seems a bit of a pain to have to launch it first.

DAZ

davidsiegel
November 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Is there a way to launch the program in the background on startup? It just seems a bit of a pain to have to launch it first.

DAZ

Sure, just add gnome-do to your login items in your sessions preferences... It will show the window, but we will have a quiet startup mode once we have a splash screen.

23meg
November 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM
David, are you planning to implement metadata indexing support (Tracker / Beagle / Xesam)?

davidsiegel
November 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM
So, there's a difference between what Do does and what Tracker / Beagle / Xesam do. Do is NOT for search per se - Do is for interacting with things you know more about than something you would search for. For example, you might use Tracker to find a document with the word "Aristotle" in it. With Do, you would need to already know the thing you were looking for: Arist <ENTER> to open a document named "My Aristotle Paper.odt". So, my short answer is "no," we have no metadata indexing planned. What did you have in mind, anyway? Maybe we could provide features similar to what you want - for example, nice integration with search tools like Tracker / Beagle / Xesam.

23meg
November 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I know the difference between what Tracker / Beagle / Xesam do and what GNOME Do does.

nice integration with search tools like Tracker / Beagle / Xesam.

That was just what I had on mind. Say, I have a document called reeguyrewgu43g.odt, but its title is "My Aristotle Paper", or I've tagged it "Aristotle"; I type "aris.." in Do, and it brings it up. Like how Deskbar works, with the Tracker Live Search extension.

bash
November 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Well does Do also index files? Tried by typing in the filename of a PDF I have in a subdirectoy of my /home. Do proposed me to open it in Firefox. But that was it.

Which kinda leeds me to the second thing Im wondering. If it does indeed index files wouldn't it be clever to use an existing tracker/beagle/watever index database, than to have a seperate indexer running. Not saying: make it like deskbar + tracker. My point is just that it would use more ressources two have two indexer running. So you could just use an existing one. Although I don't know if Tracker indexes the information about files that Do needs/looks for.

ripdog
November 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I very much doubt you will ever get near the beauty of Quicksilver. It's now open source, has always been hugly extensible to do anything from launching programs to FTPing files to resizing images, with the press of a few keys. No Linux application will ever get near that kind of elegance, simplicity or usability.

Yup, im about to get flamed. Just my opinion...

dmber
November 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM
so .... how do i pull up gnome-do? i also can't find my ~/.do folder to put the plugins in. i like what i'm seeing so far though, i'd just like to be able to pull gnome do up. when i opened in from my applications/accessories i went to the down arrow in the top right and preferences was grayed out.

thanks.

castrojo
November 12th, 2007, 12:45 AM
win-space will call it up, then just start typing.

dmber
November 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM
got it. can't find my ~/.do folder though.

~ is home isn't it? because it's not in there (i realize it's hidden).

Kalli
November 12th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Great app, it's very promising and I'm looking forward to future release's.

One problem though, I can't find a .do folder in my home directory, do I have to create one?

Depressed Man
November 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM
got it. can't find my ~/.do folder though.

~ is home isn't it? because it's not in there (i realize it's hidden).

I had to create mine myself. I don't think it exists unitl you create it.

Depressed Man
November 12th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I very much doubt you will ever get near the beauty of Quicksilver. It's now open source, has always been hugly extensible to do anything from launching programs to FTPing files to resizing images, with the press of a few keys. No Linux application will ever get near that kind of elegance, simplicity or usability.

Nothing to flame you on. I agree, it is nice. But partially because it tied so well into the OSX system. Trying it on a more open environment like Windows or Linux is going lead to problems (and require programs to include some keys or plugins for it). Or have the program itself have plugins for it (like gnome-do). It's the same problem Windows quicksilver like programs have. For example in Windows I use DASH and FARR (find and run robot). Both of them require plugins to expand what they can do. For example you can't do FTP because there isn't a default FTP program in either OS. Well there's probably one in Linux but I haven't used it so I wouldn't know :P.

dmber
November 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM
first of all i LOVE what gnome-do has going so far.

now, i have zero programming skills, so these are just suggestions, although they are pretty obvious ones -- taken from QS:

1. i'd like a . command for the text box
2. i used the comma trick all the time with QS
3. it would be nice to get the "indirect object" involved. i realize that would involve adding move, copy, etc. to the actions.

aside from suggestions, i have a question. when i use the "chat" action, my IM window comes up, but it's in the background. i expected it to be focused when i entered it as my action.

thanks for the great app...this is an awesome start.

davidsiegel
November 13th, 2007, 04:02 AM
first of all i LOVE what gnome-do has going so far.

Thank you! Positive feedback warms my heart.

now, i have zero programming skills, so these are just suggestions, although they are pretty obvious ones -- taken from QS:

1. i'd like a . command for the text box
That's coming.

2. i used the comma trick all the time with QS
Is this for queuing up multiple items? I've used QS a lot but I think I only used that feature once while reading a tutorial. Our Command API already supports performing commands on multiple items and multiple modifier items (e.g. send this, this, and that to him, him, and her), we just need to add this to our UI.

3. it would be nice to get the "indirect object" involved. i realize that would involve adding move, copy, etc. to the actions.It's already in the code. In fact, the modifier item pane is in our UI, it's just hidden. I need to re-write our window class as it got a bit messy as it was being passed around the project. You should see this within a couple of weeks.

aside from suggestions, i have a question. when i use the "chat" action, my IM window comes up, but it's in the background. i expected it to be focused when i entered it as my action.I'm pretty sure there's nothing we can do about this. Maybe this is a compiz/metacity issue?

thanks for the great app...this is an awesome start.You are very welcome. Thank you for the feedback and encouragement!

dmber
November 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Is this for queuing up multiple items? I've used QS a lot but I think I only used that feature once while reading a tutorial. Our Command API already supports performing commands on multiple items and multiple modifier items (e.g. send this, this, and that to him, him, and her), we just need to add this to our UI.

It's already in the code. In fact, the modifier item pane is in our UI, it's just hidden. I need to re-write our window class as it got a bit messy as it was being passed around the project. You should see this within a couple of weeks.

i'll just address the two points worth addressing:

the "comma trick" is exactly as you describe it. i would use it for example to make a stack of multiple files then move them all to the same place.

i'm amped about getting indirect objects. that was what i used QS for most of all.

thanks again for your work. as i said before, i have zero programming knowledge, but if i can be of help in any way i'm up for it. i know the ins and outs of the user-side of QS pretty deeply, so if that knowledge can help or anything like that i'm up for it.

reacocard
November 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM
very nice little app! not terribly useful for me yet but it shows a lot of promise. Add good integration with tracker and work on the UI and you'll have a deskbar-killer quite soon.

davidsiegel
November 13th, 2007, 04:37 AM
thanks again for your work. as i said before, i have zero programming knowledge, but if i can be of help in any way i'm up for it. i know the ins and outs of the user-side of QS pretty deeply, so if that knowledge can help or anything like that i'm up for it.

Alright, let's see what you're made of - if you know QS so well, tell me ten things you'd improve about QS if you were a super hacker extraordinaire.

davidsiegel
November 13th, 2007, 04:41 AM
...Add good integration with tracker and work on the UI and you'll have a deskbar-killer quite soon.

What did you have in mind? I've gotten this request a couple of times. I'm very hesitant to add something like this because it would slow the app down a lot, and search results are pre-cached. How about something like this: you bring up Do, type "something I'm looking for" and select a tracker search command. Either the tracker search command spawns Tracker and conducts a search, or maybe the Tracker results show up in Do for you to play with them? I'm thinking you want something more like the second option.

reacocard
November 13th, 2007, 04:56 AM
What did you have in mind? I've gotten this request a couple of times. I'm very hesitant to add something like this because it would slow the app down a lot, and search results are pre-cached. How about something like this: you bring up Do, type "something I'm looking for" and select a tracker search command. Either the tracker search command spawns Tracker and conducts a search, or maybe the Tracker results show up in Do for you to play with them? I'm thinking you want something more like the second option.

just do it like deskbar: load up your cached results immediately, and add the tracker results as they are returned. the default action could be to open the tracker search window, allowing for great speed there, but for those willing to wait another half second or so then the most relevant tracker results become easily available.

dmber
November 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Alright, let's see what you're made of - if you know QS so well, tell me ten things you'd improve about QS if you were a super hacker extraordinaire.
before i take on this challenge :) , let me make sure i understand the question:

do you want ten things from QS that i would put into gnome-DO? or ten things about QS that i would want to make better?

because really, i'm pretty much 100% ubuntu at this point, i don't use OS X anymore...

daz4126
November 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
i'll just address the two points worth addressing:

the "comma trick" is exactly as you describe it. i would use it for example to make a stack of multiple files then move them all to the same place.

i'm amped about getting indirect objects. that was what i used QS for most of all.

Any chance somebody could explain what all this means or even better, show a video tutorial. I'm not sure I am using Gnome Do to its full potential.

Thanks,

DAZ

Kalli
November 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM
...since we're on requests, I would love to be able to sudo command, for things that would run in terminal as well as things like synaptic and such.

dmber
November 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Any chance somebody could explain what all this means or even better, show a video tutorial. I'm not sure I am using Gnome Do to its full potential.

Thanks,

DAZ
i'll explain how they work in Quicksilver: (as far as I understand they are not available (yet) in Gnome-Do)

the comma trick allows you to compile a "stack" of items...such as folders or files (or a mix of either) in the object pane. when you search for an item, instead of tabbing, you hit comma and it puts that item in a stack, then you can search for another item and hit comma again. once you have your stack, you tab to the actions and perform the same action on all the items.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4p5WdssSTo

if you want to move, copy, email something to someone, etc. you need an indirect object. for example, if i wanted to send a file as an email attachment to my wife (again, using Quicksilver) i would search for the file (my object), hit tab and search for email to... (my action) then hit tab again and search for my wife (my indirect object).

right around the 2:00 mark of this video shows the three pane "indirect object" function of QS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EydTYOeqIrk

daz4126
November 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
i'll explain how they work in Quicksilver: (as far as I understand they are not available (yet) in Gnome-Do)

the comma trick allows you to compile a "stack" of items...such as folders or files (or a mix of either) in the object pane. when you search for an item, instead of tabbing, you hit comma and it puts that item in a stack, then you can search for another item and hit comma again. once you have your stack, you tab to the actions and perform the same action on all the items.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4p5WdssSTo

if you want to move, copy, email something to someone, etc. you need an indirect object. for example, if i wanted to send a file as an email attachment to my wife (again, using Quicksilver) i would search for the file (my object), hit tab and search for email to... (my action) then hit tab again and search for my wife (my indirect object).

right around the 2:00 mark of this video shows the three pane "indirect object" function of QS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EydTYOeqIrk

That looks really cool. Let's hope that Gnome Do can start to build in this functionality.

DAZ

davidsiegel
November 14th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Yes, we plan to implement a lot of these features from Quicksilver.

Dmber, I want ten problems that QS has that we can remedy/improve upon in Do. http://do.davebsd.com - we've started building a web site.

bash
November 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Ok I have a couple of questions. Hope you can answer them:

Is it (or will it be possible) to find documents. For example if I have an .odf document name 123.odf and I type 123.odf in Do will it be able to find and open it?
Is there (or will there be) a quick way to execute terminal commands. For example I would propose if you prefix something with a * it is a terminal command. Like when I would type *sudo apt-get install test if you press enter it would open the terminal and execute that command
Is there (or will there be) a way to automatically start Do minmised. Currently I have Do in my Session list so its automatically started. But it always starts with windows open. So I have to press ESC. As you can understand on login I just want it to start minimised so I can press super+space whenever I need it.

Thanks. But besides that its looking good so far. Hopin for more plugins though. Emesene and Banshee integration would be nice.

dmber
November 14th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Yes, we plan to implement a lot of these features from Quicksilver.

Dmber, I want ten problems that QS has that we can remedy/improve upon in Do. http://do.davebsd.com - we've started building a web site.
hmm....problems in quicksilver?

when i said i knew quicksilver really well i guess i meant that to mean i have ideas to implement into Do. i can't even think of one thing i would change/add to quicksilver. if i could port it to Linux and run it on ubuntu i would delete my os x partition on my macbook right now.

the biggest things i used quicksilver for were:
sending off quick emails
moving files
appending text to a to do file
setting text alarms
launching apps/docs
setting hotkeys to do certain repetetive tasks

i will switch over to OS X for a bit because i need to update to 10.4.11 anyway and play around with QS and see if i can think of problems...

dmber
November 15th, 2007, 12:05 AM
ok i thought of one:

the defaults of the catalog isn't the greatest. take for example these two screenshots:

this one is of the built-in catalogs. take a look at the Documents folder. It indexes the built-in Documents folder for OS X, but the user has no control as to how many levels down it indexes.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7696/picture1xx3.png (http://imageshack.us)

In this image, I've had to create my own separate Documents indexer in the catalog, which just duplicates what QS did itself, except that I can make this one go down more levels. Look at the difference in the number of files each has indexed.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9779/picture2jl1.png (http://imageshack.us)

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Right. One of the things we already decided about this project is that users shouldn't have to do weird configuration like that. We want to just see that you spend a lot of time in that Documents folder, so we'll just index it for you. Or, if you browse into it in GNOME Do and open some item, we'll add that item to our index and maybe if you do that a lot we'll add more files and directories around it.

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Also, speaking of convoluted configuration, if you have the newest Do from the Launchpad repo, if you put this line:

~/Documents: -1

In the file ~/.do/FileItemSource.config, Do will index ~/Documents to an 'infinite' depth.

dmber
November 15th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Also, speaking of convoluted configuration, if you have the newest Do from the Launchpad repo, if you put this line:

In the file ~/.do/FileItemSource.config, Do will index ~/Documents to an 'infinite' depth.
i have to create that file, right?

drewcoll
November 15th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I tried this out yesterday and liked it, but I have one question...

Is there anyway to go faster??? Can I remove anything to speed the launch time? It takes about 3 seconds for the search to come up, and it seems almost in that time I could type whatever I needed. It takes a lot longer if my system is doing something. Any ideas?

I have a thinkpad T30 with a 1.8ghz processor. Not the greatest but gnome-launch-box was much faster.

looks like youre into this gnome-do stuff, good to see someone is looking out for us linux users... projects like this help erode the paying software population... poor saps

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Hmm... It may take 3-5 seconds to start up, but it should come up instantly every time you invoke it after that. Are you using the keybinding <Super>space to bring it up. Again, the first couple searches may take a few seconds because there's a bug in the way we load icons, but after that all searches should finish as soon as you type a key. Please do some testing a describe the performance some more. If Do is really running this slow on your system, we should look further into it.

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Yes.

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Also, in my tests Do is faster than GLB because we don't wait for you to stop typing before searching.

zeltak
November 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Hi David

I absolutely love your program. just to let you know that because of gnome-do i think i will make the change from KDE to Gnome..:)..Gnome do is that impressive!! i am no programmer at all but am willing to help in any other areas you may need!

A few questions/suggestions (if you dont mind ;-) )

1.In Kde's Beagle (kerry) when i search for a contact i get a small preview with the phone number and mobile phone which is very handy, would it be possible to have something like this for gnome-do?
2.will it be possible to change the hotkey in the future (to bring up gnome-do)?
3.Ive seen you have rhythm box support, i LOVE amarok, is there any plans for an amarok plugin?

thx alot for all your hard work!!

Zeltak

bash
November 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM
David I posted now twice in this thread the same questions in the hope I would get an answer from you. So far nothing. Im now doing this one last time. Everyone except me has sofar recieved explanations. So if this time again nothing comes, well I guess that will be the last time I use Do. Because if the programmer doesn't even bother to answer questions and or concern from the programms users I don't think such a programm is worth using.

So for the third time my questions:

Is it (or will it be possible) to find documents. For example if I have an .odf document name 123.odf and I type 123.odf in Do will it be able to find and open it?
Is there (or will there be) a quick way to execute terminal commands. For example I would propose if you prefix something with a * it is a terminal command. Like when I would type *sudo apt-get install test if you press enter it would open the terminal and execute that command
Is there (or will there be) a way to automatically start Do minmised. Currently I have Do in my Session list so its automatically started. But it always starts with windows open. So I have to press ESC. As you can understand on login I just want it to start minimised so I can press super+space whenever I need it.

graabein
November 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Good questions ubun-two.

I have not tried Gnome Do yet but I'll give it a try when I get Ubuntu back up and running. Not bothered doing a fix/reinstall since it broke before the summer vacation.

Love the idea of executing almost anything with a few key strokes.

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
David I posted now twice in this thread the same questions in the hope I would get an answer from you. So far nothing. Im now doing this one last time. Everyone except me has sofar recieved explanations. So if this time again nothing comes, well I guess that will be the last time I use Do. Because if the programmer doesn't even bother to answer questions and or concern from the programms users I don't think such a programm is worth using.

I'm sorry I missed your questions. Please don't chastize me, though, because I am doing my best. It is clear that I am bothering to answer questions, I just missed one. Will you please forgive me?

So for the third time my questions:

This is currently possible. Search our mailing list for "FileItemSource.config" to find out how to set custom folders for Do to index. I am sure that someday we'll have fancy tracker integration too, giving you more powerful search options.

Typing a terminal command should give you a "Run in Shell" command - try "gnome-open /" TAB and select the run in shell command.

Yes, we will have silent startup once we have a splash screen so that users know our program is starting. You can find out more about plans for this feature by searching our bug reports and blueprints on Launchpad.

Are you happy now, ubun-two?

bash
November 15th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the answers mate. Yea I saw that you tried your best to answer all the questions. So I started to wonder why I was the only not recieving answers. So I thougth putting a little rant in it might get the attention. Nothing bad meant.

As for running terminal commands: I tried it for examle with typing "sudo apt-get install" and then "Run in Shell" pops up. But if I tab -> enter it, the Do window disappears, but nothing happens. So I thougth this was just not implemented. But after you said that, might be a bug?

And for the searching for documents: Does Do currently index the files itself? Because if an indexer like Tracker is already present, wouldn't it be less ressource intensive if Do would just use the already built Tracker database, instead of running a "second" indexer and creating another database. This is just an idea. I don't know if Tracker (or any other indexer for that matter) indexes the info Do needs.

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the answers mate. Yea I saw that you tried your best to answer all the questions. So I started to wonder why I was the only not recieving answers. So I thougth putting a little rant in it might get the attention. Nothing bad meant.

As for running terminal commands: I tried it for examle with typing "sudo apt-get install" and then "Run in Shell" pops up. But if I tab -> enter it, the Do window disappears, but nothing happens. So I thougth this was just not implemented. But after you said that, might be a bug?

Could be a bug. Run Do from the terminal (gnome-do) and see if you get an error message. If you do, report a bug at http://launchpad.net/gc.

And for the searching for documents: Does Do currently index the files itself? Because if an indexer like Tracker is already present, wouldn't it be less ressource intensive if Do would just use the already built Tracker database, instead of running a "second" indexer and creating another database. This is just an idea. I don't know if Tracker (or any other indexer for that matter) indexes the info Do needs.

Well, Do uses a very very simple sort of index. It's nowhere near as powerful as Tracker's, but it is designed to give you results instantly. Do searches only by names, not by metadata or file contents. Do isn't really a search tool; instead, it should be used to give you quick access to items whose names you already know. Tracker has its own use cases. If we were to use Tracker for file indexing, you might activate Do to open Firefox, so you type "fi" and then you wait for 3+ seconds for Tracker results when all you wanted was to open Firefox, which Do lets you do very quickly precisely because it's simpler (and less powerful for search) than Tracker.

Kalli
November 15th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Yes, we will have silent startup once we have a splash screen so that users know our program is starting. You can find out more about plans for this feature by searching our bug reports and blueprints on Launchpad.

Won't people know it's running once they press super-space? Does it really need a splash screen? I would just assume it were running until I found out otherwise.

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 08:07 PM
You can't underestimate users' stupidity.

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 08:09 PM
You can't underestimate users' stupidity.

Or is it "overestimate"?

bash
November 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Will there be an option to turn of the splash screen?

reacocard
November 15th, 2007, 08:25 PM

I have the same problem. Running Do from a terminal reveals that the application is running in Do's shell instead of its own. (eg, if I do 'sudo apt-get update', all the info is put into the terminal I started gnome-do from)

Also, there appears to be a memory leak in gnome-do. Easiest way to see it is to open do, type a single letter ('n' works well for me), and then scroll down through the list. memory use will rise, but of course, maybe that's just because its the first time? nope. scroll repeatedly up and down through the same list of results. the memory use will continue to rise, even after a large number of repetitions. it's a fairly slow leak, but it could add up to be quite significant.

bash
November 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Yea can confirm this. Fiddled around with Do and as long as you run it from a terminal it pastes to output to "its own" terminal. If you don't run it from a terminal nothing happens.

davidsiegel
November 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM
So, "Run in shell" is different from "run in terminal." If you want a "Run in terminal" command, feel free to write one.

As far as the "leak," yes, it may be a leak, but I bet it's just intermediate search objects that have not been freed by the garbage collector. As you're scrolling, it is constantly creating new lists of commands based on the selected item.

Please don't bother me with silly questions like "will I be able to turn the splash screen off in a future version of Do that hasn't been written yet?" In fact, this is my last post in this thread. Please ask all further questions on Launchpad so that other users can benefit from your questions and my answers. People are even talking about this very question: https://answers.launchpad.net/gc/+question/17788

deuce868
November 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I'm getting to the party late, but glad to see some interest. I'm a big fan of gnome-do and would encourage you that if you have feature suggestions or questions to use the launchpad interface. I know I check it at least daily if not more often for questions to answer and bugs to help with.

The big thing is that things are still early and a lot of plugins don't exist yet. We've been talking on the mailing list of our plugin wishlist and if anyone wants to take a crack go for it. I'm hoping to try to get together some notes on creating plugins in the future here. You can see our mailing list discussion on potential plugin ideas here:
http://groups.google.com/group/gnome-do/browse_thread/thread/6b8e94b70665616f

As for the splash screen, if I have to read 10 mono books I'll figure out how to put in a disable checkbox I will. :) I don't get the silent startup though. When I start up my machine I normally end up launching a bunch of starter apps for my day (firefox, IM, mail, etc) and having it pop open once loaded is useful.

Back to my mono books now.

reacocard
November 16th, 2007, 12:07 AM
As far as the "leak," yes, it may be a leak, but I bet it's just intermediate search objects that have not been freed by the garbage collector. As you're scrolling, it is constantly creating new lists of commands based on the selected item.

right, but I'm repeatedly going through the same list, so after the first pass, all such items should have been created, therefore after the first pass, memory use should be constant. It is not, which is why I think it is a leak.

drewcoll
November 16th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Hmm... It may take 3-5 seconds to start up, but it should come up instantly every time you invoke it after that. Are you using the keybinding <Super>space to bring it up. Again, the first couple searches may take a few seconds because there's a bug in the way we load icons, but after that all searches should finish as soon as you type a key. Please do some testing a describe the performance some more. If Do is really running this slow on your system, we should look further into it.

Played with things a little more. I found that putting the much aforementioned
dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.gnome.Do /org/gnome/Do/Commander org.gnome.Do.Commander.Show
method return sender=:1.76 -> dest=:1.80 reply_serial=2
into Configuration Editor got it running so that it took about 1 second to get up. That's good enough for me!

A new issue though is that when I try to IM people using the pidgin plugin their names and all come up and when I press enter the IM never comes up, Pidgin does nothing.

Thanks.

deuce868
November 16th, 2007, 02:01 AM
A new issue though is that when I try to IM people using the pidgin plugin their names and all come up and when I press enter the IM never comes up, Pidgin does nothing.
Thanks.

Launchpad is really the place for bug reports. They get handled much faster/better and are then easier for everyone to see/find there.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/gc/

nnonix
November 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Um, yeah, well, um .... how long have you and Steve Jobs been dating?

ice60
November 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
you might get some ideas from here, i don't know if it does anything more then QS, i've never used QS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCAf5_Y8P4

maybe you can do a demo like that too lol

i just watched it, i think plugins would be good. i like the google search operators too - define:word

this is probably something that has nothing to do with Do, but i'd like to be able to add my weather location so you can just type weather <enter> to get the weather, or calc 2+2 and get the answer. i put all those in my bashrc

now i'm getting really OT. i like the reply to the youtube video "wow, i had an idea like this for an OS i want to make based on linux code. damn dash , even though its really good.lol" lol

deuce868
November 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
you might get some ideas from here, i don't know if it does anything more then QS, i've never used QS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCAf5_Y8P4

maybe you can do a demo like that too lol

i just watched it, i think plugins would be good. i like the google search operators too - define:word

this is probably something that has nothing to do with Do, but i'd like to be able to add my weather location so you can just type weather <enter> to get the weather, or calc 2+2 and get the answer. i put all those in my bashrc

now i'm getting really OT. i like the reply to the youtube video "wow, i had an idea like this for an OS i want to make based on linux code. damn dash , even though its really good.lol" lol

Cool, I hadn't heard of that one before.

Depressed Man
November 16th, 2007, 05:12 PM
DASH is pretty cool..though you gotta pay for it (I have it on my Windows computers)

fifth_rune
November 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
How does this work with Compiz-Fusion? I know I've had trouble with Launch Box before due to CF's own keyboard shortcuts and whatnot. That's really teh only thing keeping me from taking Gnome-Do for a spin (that and the name :) )

daz4126
November 16th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I thought that I was the only one who thought this app needed a new name. I'd also agree that a splash screen isn't needed before Do can be auto started. I would prefer my apps to just run in the background until I need them - I don't even like having an icon in the systray to show them running.

DAZ

deuce868
November 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM
How does this work with Compiz-Fusion? I know I've had trouble with Launch Box before due to CF's own keyboard shortcuts and whatnot. That's really teh only thing keeping me from taking Gnome-Do for a spin (that and the name :) )

I konw that it works. Check out Dave's blog post here for some tricks with compiz:
http://blog.davebsd.com/2007/10/04/make-gnome-do-slicker-with-compiz-animations/

deuce868
November 16th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I thought that I was the only one who thought this app needed a new name. I'd also agree that a splash screen isn't needed before Do can be auto started. I would prefer my apps to just run in the background until I need them - I don't even like having an icon in the systray to show them running.

DAZ

The big thing is that the project is still working on functionality vs tweaks. Patches welcome if it's something you're willing to work on, but for now, most of us are trying to get the base going as well as a decent suite of extensions.

davidsiegel
November 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
GNOME Do was supposed to be temporary. If you have a good idea for a name, suggest it: http://groups.google.com/group/gnome-do/browse_thread/thread/dfb7d8a10ad756b5

Vansinnesvisan
November 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Is there a .deb available for GnomeGo?

deuce868
November 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Is there a .deb available for GnomeGo?

Sure thing, .debs are provided via the Launchpad PPA service. There are instructions on the Do website. Go down to packages section on the download page:
http://do.davebsd.com/?q=content/download

Vansinnesvisan
November 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Sure thing, .debs are provided via the Launchpad PPA service. There are instructions on the Do website. Go down to packages section on the download page:
http://do.davebsd.com/?q=content/download

Cool, thanks :)

zeltak
November 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi David !

My post was kinda lost in this huge thread (no hard feelings...:-) ) so here it is again:

I absolutely love your program. just to let you know that because of gnome-do i think i will make the change from KDE to Gnome....Gnome do is that impressive!! i am no programmer at all but am willing to help in any other areas you may need!

A few questions/suggestions (if you dont mind )

1.In Kde's Beagle (kerry) when i search for a contact i get a small preview with the phone number and mobile phone which is very handy, would it be possible to have something like this for gnome-do?
2.will it be possible to change the hotkey in the future (to bring up gnome-do)?
3.Ive seen you have rhythm box support, i LOVE amarok, is there any plans for an amarok plugin?

Zeltak

deuce868
November 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Hi David !

My post was kinda lost in this huge thread (no hard feelings...:-) ) so here it is again:

I absolutely love your program. just to let you know that because of gnome-do i think i will make the change from KDE to Gnome....Gnome do is that impressive!! i am no programmer at all but am willing to help in any other areas you may need!

A few questions/suggestions (if you dont mind )

Zeltak

1) Definitely possible. Beagle has a dbus interface and the hope is down the road a plugin can be worked on to talk to that. Then again, with Ubuntu shipping tracker by default there might not be a lot of push for a beagle plugin. This is why we need people to step up and work on plugins.

2) You can change the hotkey now. It is a setting in gconf. Check out /apps/gnome-do/...

3) Again, need for people who need a plugin to work on one. I know I hope to start work on a banshee plugin sometime since that's what I use. It's all about working on what you need at this point.

davidsiegel
November 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM

I plan to add a feature where you can browse into a contact just like you can browse into an album and see the songs. Once inside the contact, you'll be able to see and interact with all contact details.

atlas95
November 21st, 2007, 08:08 AM
Hello, very good program !
I have installed it with the repository and I have add the 3 plugins, but they seem don't work, no rhythmbox function, I can't find my jabber pidgin contacts ...
Is it normal?

I have add plugins in my home ~/.do/addins and chmod +x them.

Bests regards

deuce868
November 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM
I have installed it with the repository and I have add the 3 plugins, but they seem don't work, no rhythmbox function, I can't find my jabber pidgin contacts ...
Is it normal?

Bests regards

If they're loading correcty you should seem them listed when you start Do from the command line. It lists off each of the plugins it finds as it starts up.

It should look like this

11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Applications" Item Source.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Define" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Directory Scanner" Item Source.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Firefox Bookmarks" Item Source.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "GNOME Special Locations" Item Source.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Email" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Open" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Open Terminal Here" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Open URL" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Recent Files" Item Source.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Run" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Run in Shell" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:35 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Chat" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:36 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Pidgin Buddies" Item Source.
11/21/2007 8:10:36 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Tomboy Note Indexer" Item Source.
11/21/2007 8:10:36 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Create New Note" Command.
11/21/2007 8:10:36 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Tomboy Note Shortcuts" Item Source.
11/21/2007 8:10:36 AM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Search Notes" Command.

Look for the Pidgin buddies line and a line for Rhythmbox.

daynah
November 21st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Is it normal?

Bests regards

It case you forgot to (or didn't know how) to fully reset gnome do: Super Space open gnomedo, click on the arrow and click closed, Now it's REALLY closed (you can test it by trying super space.. it wont open). Now Open gnome do from the menu. It should work.

(Hope you weren't offended by the obvious posting. I just know there are so many times in life that I had just wished someone had reminded me to check and see if I had plugged the darn thing in ;) )

davidsiegel
November 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
It case you forgot to (or didn't know how) to fully reset gnome do: Super Space open gnomedo, click on the arrow and click closed, Now it's REALLY closed (you can test it by trying super space.. it wont open). Now Open gnome do from the menu. It should work.

control-Q will also quit GNOME Do if its window is showing.

alephsmith
November 25th, 2007, 01:07 AM
1)2) You can change the hotkey now. It is a setting in gconf. Check out /apps/gnome-do/...

Maybe I am missing something but I cannot for the life of me get the hotkey to work.

I have remapped my alt and Super keys however even when I remove my xmodmap, <Super>space (or any other combo set in gconf) will not invoke gnome-do. Deskbar applet works fine on both <Super>space and <Alt>space.

So a couple of questions in the hope that I can finally get this working

Does gnome-do have to be restarted every time I change a gconf key? Does it matter that I have a Super_R and Super_L?
Could another program be squatting on the key combo (compiz-fusion) and how would I find this out?
Any hints about how I could actually find out why it is not working?

BTW If is matters I am using a macbokpro

Now for some feedback about the actual program:

In QS 'delete' resets the query field rather than deleting letter by letter. I personally think that this is a better option because it is not immediately obvious what you have typed and in what order.
I like the fact that Do is not another frontend for desktop search, however I would love to be able to pipe text to tracker and run a search. For that matter, piping text in QS is my second favourite feature.
Lastly, for a program in early development Do is really great. please keep up the good work.

davidsiegel
November 25th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Maybe I am missing something but I cannot for the life of me get the hotkey to work.

I have remapped my alt and Super keys however even when I remove my xmodmap, <Super>space (or any other combo set in gconf) will not invoke gnome-do. Deskbar applet works fine on both <Super>space and <Alt>space.

So a couple of questions in the hope that I can finally get this working

Does gnome-do have to be restarted every time I change a gconf key?

No, changing your gconf key does not require you to restart.

Does it matter that I have a Super_R and Super_L?
Could another program be squatting on the key combo (compiz-fusion) and how would I find this out?
Any hints about how I could actually find out why it is not working?

BTW If is matters I am using a macbokproI'm on a Macbook. I have Super_L and Super_R, and everything works fine. I also have Compiz. I have never had trouble activating Do, so I'm guessing you are experiencing interference with another program. Try starting a barebones GNOME session and see what works and what doesn't.

Now for some feedback about the actual program:
In QS 'delete' resets the query field rather than deleting letter by letter. I personally think that this is a better option because it is not immediately obvious what you have typed and in what order.
This makes sense. We'll play with it.

I like the fact that Do is not another frontend for desktop search, however I would love to be able to pipe text to tracker and run a search. For that matter, piping text in QS is my second favourite feature.If you'd love to be able to do this, consider writing a plugin for it. I'm busy working on the core feature set. This is something that many people have asked for, so your work would be appreciated, just don't hold your breath waiting for an "official" Do plugin for Tracker.

Lastly, for a program in early development Do is really great. please keep up the good work.Thank you very much for your feedback. I hope we will keep up the good work!

davidsiegel
November 25th, 2007, 04:38 AM
By the way, you need Tomboy installed to use the activate keybinding.

davidsiegel
November 25th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I like the fact that Do is not another frontend for desktop search, however I would love to be able to pipe text to tracker and run a search. For that matter, piping text in QS is my second favourite feature.By the way, what do you mean by "piping text"? As far as I know, Quicksilver doesn't have stdio piping. Do you simply mean commands that operate on input text? Do has this, but not many commands take advantage of it at the moment.

dmber
November 25th, 2007, 04:45 AM
hey david,

just wanted to give a shout. Gnome-Do is awesome! i don't know anything about programming, but if i did, the first thing i'd work on is getting the old "move/copy/etc" indirect object actions going on.

is this something that needs a plugin or is it something you're (planning on) building into the core? if it's plugin material, is it something i could possibly figure out how to code? what i mean is, i'm a decently smart guy, i've just never tried my hand at coding -- who knows, maybe it's something my brain latches onto.

does that make sense?

thanks for this program. it's pretty great so far.

davidsiegel
November 25th, 2007, 04:53 AM
hey david,

just wanted to give a shout. Gnome-Do is awesome! i don't know anything about programming, but if i did, the first thing i'd work on is getting the old "move/copy/etc" indirect object actions going on.

We're pretty close to releasing the bidirectional search feature, which will let you browse and search your way through items with children (browse into a folder to see the files inside, browse into an artist in Rhythmox to see the albums by that artist). Once this is tested and ready, we'll be all set to add the third pane into the UI. The first plugins to take advantage of the third pane will be the copy/move/etc commands that operate on files. I'm just starting final exams, though, so you might not see a package including these features until the holidays. Sorry!

is this something that needs a plugin or is it something you're (planning on) building into the core? if it's plugin material, is it something i could possibly figure out how to code? what i mean is, i'm decently smart guy, i've just never tried my hand at coding -- who knows, maybe it's something my brain latches onto.

does that make sense?

thanks for this program. it's pretty great so far.

Thanks. Even if you can't code, you can help a lot by simply joining our mailing list, using the program, telling others about it, and reporting bugs.

dmber
November 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
sounds great.

how do i join the mailing list?

good luck on finals.

deuce868
November 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM
sounds great.

how do i join the mailing list?

good luck on finals.

Doesn't look like it's not listed on the website. It's here on the google group:
http://groups.google.com/group/gnome-do

Depressed Man
November 25th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Hmm for some reason on my desktop it doesn't work. I bring it up, then I type in my friend's name then tab over to chat and press enter. But nothing happens. Though using it to launch programs works (and I do have the plugin for Pidgin there).

dmber
November 26th, 2007, 02:04 AM
see if it brought up the pidgin chat in the background.

davidsiegel
November 26th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Hmm for some reason on my desktop it doesn't work. I bring it up, then I type in my friend's name then tab over to chat and press enter. But nothing happens. Though using it to launch programs works (and I do have the plugin for Pidgin there).

I'm going to be upset if you didn't follow the directions on the website and ensure that you have libpurple-bin installed... Anyway, the current Pidgin plugin is really just a proof of concept. It will be re-written to use DBus directly rather than relying on purple-remote.

dmber
November 26th, 2007, 11:53 PM
is Gnome-Do "learning" my tendencies the way QS does? I figured after a week of pulling up Gnome-Do and typing "fa" to get my facebook bookmark, i figured just typing "f" would pull up facebook...it's the only "f" object i've used.

is it learning me?

davidsiegel
November 27th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Learning is not yet enabled, but when it is, it will be much more sophisticated than QS's learning capabilities (whether this extra sophistication will yield any significant benefit over QS will be seen...).

From now on, try to "learn" these kind of things for yourself. http://do.davebsd.com has links to our mailing list. http://blog.davebsd.com is where I blog about new features. http://groups.google.com/group/gnome-do is where we have previously discussed the status of the learning features.

dmber
November 27th, 2007, 01:34 AM
sweet. thanks david.

bash
November 29th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Is there a 64bit version available?

deuce868
November 29th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Is there a 64bit version available?

The current .deb build in the PPA should have a 64bit version in it. Nice thing about the PPA system, builds for three archs for me.

castironpants
December 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Is there any way to configure Gnome-Do? Like change the keywords for certain applications, or disable bookmarks search? Is there any way, also, that searching for a name could bring it up in the Contact Lookup thing instead of email?

engla
December 5th, 2007, 05:09 PM
This is totally Cool. If you search out on the forum my first posts about switching from the Mac, Qucksilver was the only wound that didn't heal.

But I lived on happily. Until I five days ago started my mac in OSX for the first time in years (really, maybe 9 months).. and used Quicksilver.

I decided that I'd had enough. Still I was waiting, why was noone doing Quicksilver for Linux.. surely those who think deskbar or others never even have used Quicksilver, much less have they lived by it. I really did.

Astounding for you (now) and for me (now), I set out to work on this 4 days ago since it hadn't been done what I knew. So I worked really, really hard for some short days since I was pretty exited. So I'm doing this replacement called Kupfer in python/PyGTK

I think I will continue to work with it, as it is already usable enough for me. As you can see, I didn't focus on beauty but rather on functionality first..

I didn't know about Gnome Do until late yesterday, I suppose I will exchange some experiences with David (I want that Rhythmbox thing)

I'll show you a screenshot of two invocations. Notice

* How rough it is
* You can match custom abbrevs like cv2 for freeciv 2.1 (without learning)
* You can have catalogs in catalogs (All applications, Firefox Bookmarks is a catalog), By default All Applications is both directly included and as a catalog, so you can optionally narrow the search.

Yeah and it has a webpage too (http://www.student.lu.se/~cif04usv/wiki/kupfer.html) :) (nothing there yet)

davidsiegel
December 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Engla, that is really awesome. Could I get you to consider joining our project (GNOME Do) instead? I don't think you'd have to throw away all your hard work - it looks like you've got some interesting ideas that you could bring to Do. If you're a Python guy, you could figure out how to write plugins in python for Do. What do you think?

Also, Do does abbreviations without "learning."

David

deuce868
December 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Is there any way to configure Gnome-Do? Like change the keywords for certain applications, or disable bookmarks search? Is there any way, also, that searching for a name could bring it up in the Contact Lookup thing instead of email?

These items have been brought up, but they're not yet there.

For now I cheat. If I want an app to come up under a different name I either change the name of the shortcut or create a new one so that it gets indexed as the name I want.

UrK
December 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I am unable to install gnome-do. Trying to install using apt throws the following:

mem@localhost:/tmp$ sudo apt-get install gnome-do
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-do: Depends: mono-mcs but it is not installable
Depends: libmono-cairo2.0-cil but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

I am unable to install from sources too, configure script complains about lack of gmcs:

checking for gmcs... no
configure: error: gmcs Not found

Is it possible that I have old version of mono installed? Does somebody have any idea how can I fix this?

deuce868
December 5th, 2007, 10:51 PM
What version of ubuntu are you on? Do you have the universe repositories uncommented in your sources list?

awthomp
December 6th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Type:

sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs

to resolve the missing gmcs dependency.

bruce89
December 6th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Why does this program depend on a C# compiler?

deuce868
December 6th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Why does this program depend on a C# compiler?

You're 100% right. Tomorrow I'll remove that dependency and update the packages in the PPA. That's my fault entirely. Thanks for the info.

Edit: actually just updated the packages and submitted them to launchpad now. They should be building soon.

UrK
December 7th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Now it does not reqire C# compilier, but still complains about libmono-cairo2.0-cil. Where cat I get it with all its dependencies?

P.S. I feel like nineties again: DLL hell. :)

hito1
December 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Is there a way to make google or youtube searchs in gnome-do?

In launchy we can type google (tab) word and it goes to google with the search results for "word".

Also, is there a silent start-up?

edit: Also also, is there a way to run commands at a terminal window, eg. "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"?

Keep up the good work, those programs are so great that I was avoiding using ubuntu because it didn't have launchy. :)

deuce868
December 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Now it does not reqire C# compilier, but still complains about libmono-cairo2.0-cil. Where cat I get it with all its dependencies?

P.S. I feel like nineties again: DLL hell. :)

Well first thanks for the info and your patience. Do is my project to help me learn how to do packaging so I'm not going to say it's perfect by any means.

Now onto the problem. You need the cairo libraries for some of the ui. I don't get why it is that it won't install them. It's listed as a dependency in the package, the package libmono-cairo2.0-cil is available in apt. Can you provide some details on what version/repos you are running with so I can understand why it complains about the cario library instead of just installing it when you install Do?

deuce868
December 7th, 2007, 03:15 PM

In launchy we can type google (tab) word and it goes to google with the search results for "word".

Also, is there a silent start-up?

edit: Also also, is there a way to run commands at a terminal window, eg. "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"?

Keep up the good work, those programs are so great that I was avoiding using ubuntu because it didn't have launchy. :)

So first the quick one, --quiet should do a quiet startup right now. It's a temporary hack until a better thing gets in there. I've got a man page with this info in, but I've not managed to get it included in the packages yet.

For your other points, we'd love to get some more plugins developed. There's been talk on doing some web related stuff on the mailing list yesterday and the run commands in a terminal is definitely on our plugin wishlist. In the end, no, there's not currently a plugin to handle those things.

hito1
December 7th, 2007, 03:27 PM
So first the quick one, --quiet should do a quiet startup right now. It's a temporary hack until a better thing gets in there. I've got a man page with this info in, but I've not managed to get it included in the packages yet.

For your other points, we'd love to get some more plugins developed. There's been talk on doing some web related stuff on the mailing list yesterday and the run commands in a terminal is definitely on our plugin wishlist. In the end, no, there's not currently a plugin to handle those things.
Ok, thank you for your work. :)

davidsiegel
December 7th, 2007, 05:49 PM

This Google search plugin that you suggest would amount to about 10-20 lines of code. Why don't you write it?

hito1
December 7th, 2007, 08:05 PM
This Google search plugin that you suggest would amount to about 10-20 lines of code. Why don't you write it?
I can't even write a hello world program, I'm just a law student with no programming experience. ;)

deuce868
December 7th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I can't even write a hello world program, I'm just a law student with no programming experience. ;)

Time to find some friends that do C# and offer some lunches. :)

UrK
December 8th, 2007, 07:24 PM
deuce868
I use Gutsy Gibbon.

urk@bebecomp:~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-d
Building dependency tree
E: Couldn't find package gnome-d
urk@bebecomp:~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-do
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-do: Depends: libmono-cairo2.0-cil but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
I use usual universe/multiverese repositories for apt with addition of repos for avant window navigator, wine and gnome-do (launchpad).
Thanks for helping me.

blu3ness
December 8th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Need help with running gnome-do under feisty.

I compiled Gnome-Do sucessfully, but I am struggling with getting the keybindings to work, I do not have libtomboy.

08/12/2007 2:13:50 PM [Error]: Could not add global keybinding: libtomboy
No alpha support.

tomboy --version
Tomboy: A simple, easy to use desktop note-taking application.
Copyright (C) 2004-2006 Alex Graveley <alex@beatniksoftware.com>

Version 0.6.3

Any help here?

Now before you say "why not upgrade to gutsy", you can blame the piece of crap ATI driver that makes gusty suspend and hibernate crash my laptop, I cannot live without suspend/hibernate, hence I am still running feisty.

Update: Problem Solved
Yes, I found that by compiling a newer version of Tomboy, the libtomboy is included, what pisses me off is why isn't this compiled as a seperate package rather than together with tomboy.
O well... :x

awthomp
December 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I had no problems installing gnome-do, but once installed on Ubuntu 7.10 with Compiz enabled, my videos (.avi files through Vlc, MPlayer, and MythTV) became really jerky. Once I removed gnome-do, the jerkiness of my videos disappeared. Any suggestions?

50words
December 12th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Just chiming in to say that Gnome Do is beautiful and exactly what I want in an application launcher. Much better than Deskbar or Katapult.

Mongoose.wa
December 12th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I love what you're doing and I'm going to be watching this project intently.

That said, it would be nice for im tabs created through Do to automatically get focus. My Pidgin settings might be causing this, but it'd be nice for sessions started with Do to get focus without having conversations started by others get focus when they pop up.

mikibg
December 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM
can u close gnome do in Alt+Space?
esp button is 2 far

deuce868
December 13th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I had no problems installing gnome-do, but once installed on Ubuntu 7.10 with Compiz enabled, my videos (.avi files through Vlc, MPlayer, and MythTV) became really jerky. Once I removed gnome-do, the jerkiness of my videos disappeared. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I can't duplicate this, but I would encourage you to submit a bug report in launchpad. I know the main dev of the application is a compiz user so he might be able to help more.

https://launchpad.net/gc

deuce868
December 13th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Just chiming in to say that Gnome Do is beautiful and exactly what I want in an application launcher. Much better than Deskbar or Katapult.

Thanks, I know everyone loves to hear the good things out there. Make sure you spread the word around. The more users we can attract the more likely we are to attract some people that can help develop plugins and such which is really an important goal.

deuce868
December 13th, 2007, 12:20 AM
I love what you're doing and I'm going to be watching this project intently.

That said, it would be nice for im tabs created through Do to automatically get focus. My Pidgin settings might be causing this, but it'd be nice for sessions started with Do to get focus without having conversations started by others get focus when they pop up.

This had been brought up a few times and if I remember correctly it's a limitation in the interaction with pidgin.

I can't seem to find the thread in the google group mailing list though.

deuce868
December 13th, 2007, 12:20 AM
can u close gnome do in Alt+Space?
esp button is 2 far

I'd encourage you to file a bug request on this if you really want it.

https://launchpad.net/gc

zekopeko
December 13th, 2007, 01:41 AM
any way to start gnome-do minimized?

deuce868
December 13th, 2007, 01:42 AM
any way to start gnome-do minimized?

Use the --quiet flag to start without it opening up.

Mongoose.wa
December 13th, 2007, 01:51 AM
This had been brought up a few times and if I remember correctly it's a limitation in the interaction with pidgin.

I can't seem to find the thread in the google group mailing list though.

Mmk. Thanks for the reply. I joined the mailing list yesterday, so I'll stay posted and look for opportunities to contribute.

deuce868
December 13th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Just to let everyone know, there's been a wiki page started up with tips/information on using GNOME Do:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UsingGnomeDo

BHSPitMonkey
December 15th, 2007, 04:25 AM
By default, the key combo is <Super>space (super is your apple/windows key).

Thanks for the tip; I've spent the last 15 minutes (at least) trying to find just that piece of information. No documentation is included in the package itself, or explicitly on your site. (As it turns out, you've listed that keybinding in the Source installation instructions, which is honestly not where I thought to look first).

Edit: Of course, it is documented on the page linked in the post above mine, but I only discovered this after reading this thread anyway.

davidsiegel
December 15th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the tip; I've spent the last 15 minutes (at least) trying to find just that piece of information. No documentation is included in the package itself, or explicitly on your site. (As it turns out, you've listed that keybinding in the Source installation instructions, which is honestly not where I thought to look first).

Edit: Of course, it is documented on the page linked in the post above mine, but I only discovered this after reading this thread anyway.

Since this is an open source, and therefore community driven project, would you mind finding the best possible spot for us to post that info and posting it there? Or if you tell me where you think I should post it, I can put it there. I don't think there's a better spot than directly under "ATTENTION" on our project page, but if you can think of a better place I'm all ears.

hyperair
December 15th, 2007, 06:11 AM
It would be good to display the default keybinding as a tip to those who are opening Gnome-Do for the first time.

hendeca
December 15th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I think this is a fantastic program; keep up the great work. David, you might want to put a link to that wiki on the Gnome Do website in the "About" section.

UrK
December 18th, 2007, 10:50 PM
After fighting for some time with installation issues (inability to install mono and libcairo) I found that my repositories were messed up.
After restoring "Canonical-supported Open Source Software (main)", totally removing all mono packages and reinstalling libxml-sax with all its dependent packages, I was able to install GnomeDo. It's great!!! :popcorn:

P.S. After installation success I compiled it on my other machine: Fedora Core after all dependencies were installed.

Thanks for great software

deuce868
December 18th, 2007, 10:51 PM
After fighting for some time with installation issues (inability to install mono and libcairo) I found that my repositories were messed up.
After restoring "Canonical-supported Open Source Software (main)", totally removing all mono packages and reinstalling libxml-sax with all its dependent packages, I was able to install GnomeDo. It's great!!! :popcorn:

P.S. After installation success I compiled it on my other machine: Fedora Core after all dependencies were installed.

Thanks for great software

Good stuff, glad to hear you've got it all running along now.

Time to get some plugin work going. :)

Mortuis
December 19th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I've been envying windows "Launchy" app for awhile, so I'm excited to see something similar for linux. I'm having a problem getting it to work, though. I have no Super key, so I tried remapping it to alt-space. When I went to test it, it didn't work, so here's my attempt to figure out what's wrong.

When I launch gnome-do, I get the following:

mortuis@Uriel:~$ gnome-do
12/18/2007 12:48:49 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Applications" Item Source.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Define" Command.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Directory Scanner" Item Source.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Firefox Bookmarks" Item Source.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "GNOME Special Locations" Item Source.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Email" Command.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Open" Command.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Open Terminal Here" Command.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Open URL" Command.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Recent Files" Item Source.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Run" Command.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Run in Shell" Command.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Successfully loaded "Internal GNOME Do Items" Item Source.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Error]: Could not read addins directory /home/mortuis/.do/addins: Directory '/home/mortuis/.do/addins' not found.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Error]: libtomboy not found - keybindings will not work.
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Info]: Binding key '<Alt>Space' for '/apps/gnome-do/preferences/key_binding'. You may change this keybinding with Configuration Editor (gconf-editor).
12/18/2007 12:48:50 PM [Error]: Could not add global keybinding: libtomboy

As you can see, it says it can't find libtomboy, I thought I had it installed, so I did a sudo aptitude install tomboy and it said I already had it. When search for the file, it's in there:

mortuis@Uriel:~$ locate libtomboy.so
/usr/lib/tomboy/libtomboy.so
mortuis@Uriel:~$

At this point, I'm stuck. I figure my libtomboy.so is in a non-standard location (for whatever reason) and I need to point gnome-do to it, but I don't know how. Any help would be appreciated.

deuce868
December 19th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I've been envying windows "Launchy" app for awhile, so I'm excited to see something similar for linux. I'm having a problem getting it to work, though. I have no Super key, so I tried remapping it to alt-space. When I went to test it, it didn't work, so here's my attempt to figure out what's wrong.

When I launch gnome-do, I get the following:

As you can see, it says it can't find libtomboy, I thought I had it installed, so I did a sudo aptitude install tomboy and it said I already had it. When search for the file, it's in there:

At this point, I'm stuck. I figure my libtomboy.so is in a non-standard location (for whatever reason) and I need to point gnome-do to it, but I don't know how. Any help would be appreciated.

I tried out your shortcut. It seems it doesn't like having space capitalized. Try it with a lowercase 's' in space.

<Alt>space

Mortuis
December 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Changed it to a lowercase s, no dice. It still says:
[Error]: libtomboy not found - keybindings will not work.Trying it anyway didn't work either.

macogw
December 20th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I didn't know it had been open sourced. That sounds like brilliant news. Let's hope a linux port is not too far away...

DAZ

Um no. It's Cocoa and Objective-C, for one thing, so GNUStep is the nearest thing to GNOME with any chance in hell of running it. Second, it's spaghetti code.

50words
December 20th, 2007, 01:38 AM
The only thing I don't like is that Gnome-Do doesn't seem to learn which application I want launched. Launchy, for example, will eventually learn that I want OpenOffice.org to launch when I type "o" if I always select that from the drop-down menu.

deuce868
December 20th, 2007, 01:39 AM
The only thing I don't like is that Gnome-Do doesn't seem to learn which application I want launched. Launchy, for example, will eventually learn that I want OpenOffice.org to launch when I type "o" if I always select that from the drop-down menu.

It's definitely in the works. There are a couple of guys working on a learning system and it's part of the roadmap.

crazybilly
December 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I think you commented on my blog about Launchy for Linux, David--I watched the video. It certainly did help.

At the same time, coming from Launchy, the keybidings in Gnome-Do feel really strange to me. Is there any way to configure them? I'd like to change tab and right-arrow around, for example.

Also, my home directory isn't at /home/me. For various reasons, it's at /media/Data/me.

When I type in my username, though, it only picks up /home/me. If I type in media, it doesn't find the /media directory at all (typing in /media doesn't help, nor does /media/Data, etc). Is there a way to configure what files get indexed?

deuce868
December 20th, 2007, 07:38 AM
At the same time, coming from Launchy, the keybidings in Gnome-Do feel really strange to me. Is there any way to configure them? I'd like to change tab and right-arrow around, for example.

Not currently. Someone has started some work with some configuration options, but it's not currently in trunk and working properly.

Also, my home directory isn't at /home/me. For various reasons, it's at /media/Data/me.

You can tweak the config file ~/.do/FileItemSource.config

That specifies directories to parse and how deep to parse them to. For instance, my config is setup this way:

/home: 1
/home/rharding: 1
/home/rharding/Desktop: 1
/home/rharding/documents: 3
/home/rharding/src/: 1

deuce868
December 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Changed it to a lowercase s, no dice. It still says: Trying it anyway didn't work either.

Sorry, I can't seem to duplicate this. My libtomboy is in the same path as yours. Are you on gutsy installing from the PPA packages? You might try submitting a bug report in launchpad.

I could only get it to break with the S being capital. Do me a favor and also try <Control>space. Just see if that works so we can see if it's something with the keyboard layout you have or actually the library?

TheOm3ga
December 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
With "<Control>space" (s lowercase) it works for me. Anyway, I prefer "<Shift>BackSpace". This program rocks!

BTW, this is my first post here :lolflag:

davidsiegel
December 20th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I think you commented on my blog about Launchy for Linux, David--I watched the video. It certainly did help.

When I type in my username, though, it only picks up /home/me. If I type in media, it doesn't find the /media directory at all (typing in /media doesn't help, nor does /media/Data, etc). Is there a way to configure what files get indexed?

See here: https://answers.launchpad.net/gc/

sk8dork
December 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Sorry, I can't seem to duplicate this. My libtomboy is in the same path as yours. Are you on gutsy installing from the PPA packages? You might try submitting a bug report in launchpad.

I could only get it to break with the S being capital. Do me a favor and also try <Control>space. Just see if that works so we can see if it's something with the keyboard layout you have or actually the library?

i am having the same problem. if i do gnome-do --verbose it says it can't find libtomboy, but i have tomboy installed and i can find it when i do a locate. i have changed my keybinding to <Control>space, still nogo. could it be that i'm in feisty? if so, damn that sucks. i used the feisty repo to install gnome-do at first, then i thought i'd try purging it and installing from the gutsy repo, and while it looks prettier in black, it still has problems with libtomboy... i tried installing the latest gutsy version of tomboy from getdeb, but it is requiring (a probably newer version of) libc6 and friends. alas, it looks like i won't be using gnome-do unless this gets fixed. i really don't like the other alternatives.

davidsiegel
December 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Please point me to all of the places you are getting GNOME Do from. Some of them are "official" (the launchpad PPA) and others are not affiliated with the project. For example, you said you are using a package with a black interface. Where is that from?

davidsiegel
December 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Also, you don't need libtomboy. Assign a keybinding (with compiz or something) to the command gnome-do. This will bring the window up (without running a duplicate process). This command does it faster:

$ dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Do /org/gnome/Do/Controller org.gnome.Do.Controller.Summon

deuce868
December 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
i used the feisty repo to install gnome-do at first, then i thought i'd try purging it and installing from the gutsy repo, and while it looks prettier in black, it still has problems with libtomboy... i tried installing the latest gutsy version of tomboy from getdeb, but it is requiring (a probably newer version of) libc6 and friends. alas, it looks like i won't be using gnome-do unless this gets fixed. i really don't like the other alternatives.

I'm thinking you might be in feisty. RU nthis and let me know what you get:
dpkg -l | grep tomboy

It's been reported that the shortcut only exists > 0.8. So if it's less than that I'm going to bet you're on Feisty.

Unfortunately, I only created the Feisty package to see if it could be done (wasn't sure how far back a PPA would let you go) and there's no way in a PPA to remove a package. My apologies for the trouble if this is indeed a feisty issue.

sk8dork
December 23rd, 2007, 02:31 AM
heh, i was going to make the comment that i am in feisty (gutsy does not work so well on my hardware) but i guess i forgot to mention that. and in case it still matters, tomboy appears to be 0.6.3-0ubuntu1. i have only used the repositories listed on the gnome-do site. i know there is no real mention of the feisty version, but i navigated the repo in firefox and did see a feisty version, so i tried it. the version i got from the feisty repo had a kind of purple UI, and the one from the gutsy repo had a black UI.

i am going ahead and reinstalling using the version in the gutsy repo, version 0.1~bzr113-ubuntu1_i386. i'll try using the keybinding trick that's not dependent on a more recent version of tomboy. fyi, i'm using openbox with gnome stuff (no panel, but i run the gnome-settings-daemon). i'll see what i can come up with. i am going to try to make the keybinding in my openbox rc.xml, not sure if there's another way.

edit:
got the keybinding to work by adding this in my rc.xml

<keybind key="A-space">
<action name="Execute">
<startupnotify>
<enabled>false</enabled>
<name>Gnome-Do</name>
</startupnotify>
<execute>dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest="org.gnome.Do" "/org/gnome/Do/Controller" "org.gnome.Do.Controller.Summon"</execute>
</action>
</keybind>
note the quotes i had to add to things. it wouldn't work otherwise.

deuce868
December 23rd, 2007, 05:13 AM
Very cool, I'm glad you got it to work out.

sk8dork
December 23rd, 2007, 05:40 AM
thanks. i am very much looking forward to the continued development of this project. =)

davidsiegel
December 23rd, 2007, 06:49 AM
Hey, will you please post your solution on our answers page so other openbox users can benefit? https://answers.launchpad.net/gc/

Thanks.

Mortuis
December 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Thanks deuce, I suppose my problem was that I wasn't running Gutsy. I just updated the OS and now gnome-do is working just fine. I feel a little silly now. :-)

WaySensei
December 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Dave,

I have an issue with my gnome-do. I am starting it up at boot with gnome-do --quiet. However, fairly commonly, the gnome-do interface will be transparent when I bring it up with my key command. I have compiz enabled. Restarting the X session may or may not fix the issue. However, killing gnome-do from the terminal and restarting it from my applications menu always fixes the issue. Your program is GREAT, and is an essential part of my Ubuntu, but I just wanted you to be aware of this problem I'm having.

hyperair
December 27th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Eh, isn't it supposed to be transparent? I think I prefer it when it's transparent compared to when it's not.

WaySensei
December 27th, 2007, 06:27 AM
It's completely transparent. The blue ish border that I have normally becomes clear and very difficult to use the program with.

davidsiegel
December 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hey, can you try to get a screenshot of it? I've never seen this before.

I'm guessing it's a compiz bug, though. On that note, if you're on Gutsy, set your desktop effects to the most basic settings in Appearance preferences and see if you still have this problem.

WaySensei
December 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I've attached a screenshot of what gnome-do looks like when it starts up transparent. I think you're right, it most likely is a bug with Compiz.

DjBones
December 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM
it looks pretty nice so far..
compiled fine for me, i was pretty impressed for a first release haha

do you guys think that you can work it into hardy's repo's (ergo debian unstable) when the time comes?

davidsiegel
December 30th, 2007, 12:41 AM
do you guys think that you can work it into hardy's repo's (ergo debian unstable) when the time comes?

That's the plan!

MaX
January 6th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I read about Gnome-Do today and I wanted to try it out. But for some reason I can't installl Mono? Am I the only one with this problem or is it just a temporary hickup for Hardy?

hyperair
January 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Excellent observation! I've filed a bug report in launchpad, although it isn't really a bug. AND I've modified their deb, removing mono dependencies. See, mono is just a meta-package. It doesn't really matter if it's not installed.

MaX
January 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks!
Now all I need is for the program not to quit on me after I've run it the first time....
No wonder my keyboard shortcut didn't work when the program quits when it looses focus...

hyperair
January 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
You have to make sure it doesn't conflict with any other keyboard shortcuts. The keyboard shortcut you set is system-wide.

davidsiegel
January 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks!
Now all I need is for the program not to quit on me after I've run it the first time....
No wonder my keyboard shortcut didn't work when the program quits when it looses focus...

It's not designed to do that. Does it print anything out when it quits? Does it crash? It should stay running.

MaX
January 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Well if something was set to <Super>space it would have shown up right?

I also set it to Ctrl+F2 and that didn't work either...

Nothing happens. I'll wait to try it again when it doesn't index my firefox bookmarks, and when I can start gedit by typing gedit instead of text...

Perpetual
January 12th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I love it. Thanks for sharing!

mrblue182
January 16th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I had that same problem with the program crashing. I went to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnomeDo/Installation
and everything works great now, I've got the google calculator and opensearch plugin, and its great! I've never used quicksilver, but I can't imagine its much better then gnome-do =]

WaySensei
January 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
As of the version 0.3~bzr173, plugins added to my .do/addins directory do not seem to work. They worked fine prior to the latest revision. Has anyone else been having this issue?

deuce868
January 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
As of the version 0.3~bzr173, plugins added to my .do/addins directory do not seem to work. They worked fine prior to the latest revision. Has anyone else been having this issue?

The addins directory was moved to plugins. You'll have to change the name and update the plugins you use since there was some big changes in the recent revisions.

zeltak
January 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hi
Silly question, how do you get the 0.3 version? i am using the apt system for the new gnome-do versions, do you have to compile yourself to get 0.3?

thx

Zeltak

hyperair
January 20th, 2008, 08:39 AM
No. The Apt repository at ppa.launchpad.net has 0.3

zeltak
January 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
mmmm...strange...

I have this in my source list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rharding/ubuntu gutsy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/rharding/ubuntu gutsy main

and i seem to only get 0.1 (unless the about do is wrong..it says 0.1), is there any way to get verison # in the terminal?

Also btw..does anyone know how to restart gnome-do without restarting or logging out?

thx

Zeltak

deuce868
January 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
mmmm...strange...

I have this in my source list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/rharding/ubuntu gutsy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/rharding/ubuntu gutsy main

and i seem to only get 0.1 (unless the about do is wrong..it says 0.1), is there any way to get verison # in the terminal?

Also btw..does anyone know how to restart gnome-do without restarting or logging out?

Well try this out

$ dpkg -l | grep gnome-do
ii gnome-do 0.3~bzr171-gutsy2

And you should get that. You didn't specify what version of ubuntu you're running. I'm going to assume if you don't get .3 that it's Feisty which I've stopped building to concentrate on Gutsy/Hardy (and there were other issues with Feisty with libtomboy and such).

As for the second item
Get the process number and then kill it. once killed you can restart from your main menu or via command line with gnome-do

To get the process number:

ps aux | grep Do

zeltak
January 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
thx for the answer!!

I am using gutsy and it seems i do have the latest 0.3 version (even though in the
about menu it says 0.1...)

so i guess the problem is deeper. i thought nothing worked since i have an old version. i did put the NEW plugins on the ~/.do/plugins folder but No plugin at all seem to work (other then launch programs and Ffox bookmarks...) any ideas ?

thx

Zeltak

deuce868
January 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Ok, yep. I see what you mean. The author must have updated the build version, but not the --version string. So you found a bug and I'd encourage you to report it on launchpad.

As far as things not working, kill Do and start it from the command line. It will output the plugins found and loaded and give you some info. If you don't see the plugins listed as it starts something is wrong there. If they load and don't work, make sure you're trying to use them correctly and if you're not sure how I'd suggest you check out the docs on the wiki:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnomeDo
and hit up the mailing list.

zeltak
January 20th, 2008, 07:07 PM
strange...when i run it from the terminal i get this:

1/20/2008 8:01:31 PM [Error]: Could not read addins directory /home/zeltak/.do/addins: Directory '/home/zeltak/.do/addins' not found.

Isn't the new version supposed to look for plugins in a plugins directory?

zeltak

deuce868
January 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM
strange...when i run it from the terminal i get this:

1/20/2008 8:01:31 PM [Error]: Could not read addins directory /home/zeltak/.do/addins: Directory '/home/zeltak/.do/addins' not found.

Isn't the new version supposed to look for plugins in a plugins directory?

zeltak

Ok, something is officially strange. I don't think you really have .3. I read your earlier post more carefully and the about menu option shows the right 0.3.0.

I would start with a
sudo apt-get remove --purge gnome-do

followed by reinstalling and make sure you get the .3.

zeltak
January 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Wow....you wont believe this

turns out after uninstalling purging etc...that i still got 0.1
then i realized i probably compiled from source back at v 0.1...had to manually uninstall it and it WORKS!!!
Sorry for my stupidity

thx for all your help

Zeltak

davidsiegel
January 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
Don't worry, you're the 7th person who had a package + source install conflict causing this confusing situation :) I recommend building from source if you're able since we're updating Do all the time.

jhorner
January 23rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
hello,

I hope someone can assit me with an issue. I was able to install the program, and it works. But I am having trouble with the keyboard shortcut. I use a T23 laptop and it has no Super (windows) button. I tried just about every combination I can think of in Gconf-editor and I cannot get my keyboard shortcut to work.

In GConf Editor, I go to apps > gnome do > preferences and in "key_binding", I have "<Alt><Space>" (without the quotes). I have tried this with and without the <> characters and nothing seems to work. I basically just want GnomeDo to open when I press the Alt+Space key combination on my keyboard. Any suggestions?

Thanks

deuce868
January 23rd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Try
<Alt>space

I use <Control>space and it works fine.

jhorner
January 23rd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Try
<Alt>space

I use <Control>space and it works fine.

I feel like an epic fool. Thank you much

deuce868
January 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
No problem, make sure to let us know how you like it now that you can run it.

marko_4454
January 24th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I have been using Gnome-Do and I can say that it will help me lots. I already messed around with the config file to catalog more stuff, but I cant seem to be able to have a "play" action when it detects an .mp3.
Do you have a plugin for that? I read most of the thread and couldnt find any help.

I saw that someone mentioned that they "Loved amarok", I also use amarok and like it a lot. Do you have any plans for adding amarok plugin or something?

Again, thanks.. I (as well as many others) appreciate your work!

davidsiegel
January 24th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I have been using Gnome-Do and I can say that it will help me lots. I already messed around with the config file to catalog more stuff, but I cant seem to be able to have a "play" action when it detects an .mp3.
Do you have a plugin for that? I read most of the thread and couldnt find any help.

I saw that someone mentioned that they "Loved amarok", I also use amarok and like it a lot. Do you have any plans for adding amarok plugin or something?

Again, thanks.. I (as well as many others) appreciate your work!

First of all, DO NOT index all of your music. Do you really play songs by name? Try the Rhythmbox plugin - it lets you play songs by artist or album, and it lets you get to the songs easily without saturating your precious search results with mp3 files.

The reason there's a plugin system is so that anyone can write features for GNOME Do. We are busy working on the application, and we hope that others will create any plugins they can dream up. Why don't /you/ write the Amarok plugin? It would make you an instant superstar.

I'm glad you enjoy Do.

marko_4454
January 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
First of all, DO NOT index all of your music. Do you really play songs by name? Try the Rhythmbox plugin - it lets you play songs by artist or album, and it lets you get to the songs easily without saturating your precious search results with mp3 files.

The reason there's a plugin system is so that anyone can write features for GNOME Do. We are busy working on the application, and we hope that others will create any plugins they can dream up. Why don't /you/ write the Amarok plugin? It would make you an instant superstar.

I'm glad you enjoy Do.

Right now I am not indexing my music, but everyonce in a while I get new songs that are not in my "Amarok Music" folder, so I just wanna add them to my amarok library.
The reason why I dont write the plugin is because I have really limited programming experience. I dont know C or any of its derivatives. I guess I could however, look at the code. Anyways, thanks for the fast response and keep releasing excellent software :)

fluid_motion
February 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I am getting an error when running apt-get gnome-do using the instructions from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnomeDo/Installation

I am getting the following error:

gnome-do: Depends: xclip but it is not installable

Tried using aptitude and got:

gnome-do: Depends: xclip which is a virtual package.

I checked that xclip is installed but I can't install gnome-do. :( Any help appreciated!

Update: Finally works after using the new repository.

23meg
March 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
There's now an Amarok plugin:

https://code.launchpad.net/~bcl1713/do/plugins-amarok
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnomeDo/Plugins

23meg
March 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM

This feature is now in trunk.

pazkooda
March 26th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Quick note for Fedora users. Gnome Do! does not find libtomboy so default keybinding method don't work out of the box.

To fix this problem issue this command as root (or with sudo)

user@workstation:~# ln -s /usr/lib/tomboy/libtomboy.so /usr/lib/libtomboy.so

pazkooda
March 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Quick note for Fedora users. Gnome Do! does not find libtomboy, so default keybinding method don't work out of the box.

This assumes you have Tomboy installed.

deuce868
March 26th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Quick note for Fedora users. Gnome Do! does not find libtomboy, so default keybinding method don't work out of the box.

This assumes you have Tomboy installed.

Just a heads up that the newer releases no longer require tomboy for the keybinding. Get a hold of 0.4 and you should be good to go.

davidsiegel
March 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Do no longer uses libtomboy. Please contact your packagers and ask them to update Do packages in Fedora :)

Mazza558
March 27th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I've attached a screenshot of what gnome-do looks like when it starts up transparent. I think you're right, it most likely is a bug with Compiz.

I get exactly the same problem, and it's the main reason I'm not using gnome-do right now...

davidsiegel
March 27th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I get exactly the same problem, and it's the main reason I'm not using gnome-do right now...

Just start Do after you log in. This would do it:

$ mkdir ~/bin
$ echo "sleep 5 && gnome-do --quiet" > ~/bin/start-do
Then add "bash /home/YOURUSERNAME/bin/start-do" to your session in your Sessions preferences. This will start Do five seconds after you login, avoiding the case where Do starts before compiz is loaded.

50words
March 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I use Gnome Do without Compiz, and as far as I can tell the only reason Gnome Do needs compositing is for the rounded corners and shadows. Can't you do that without compositing? I don't want to run Compiz, but Gnome Do is pretty unsightly without it. I want some of the glitz along with the functionality!

hyperair
March 27th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Get xcompmgr. It's a compositing manager that works with any non-compositing window manager. Or if you're using Ubuntu Hardy, turn on Metacity's compositing in gconf. Or just use deskbar like I do. I honestly find deskbar good enough, and it's got more functionality too. =\ Perhaps if GNOME Do gets better I'll switch back. But until then Deskbar it is for me

anachreon_
April 28th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Forgive me if this has been asked already - didn't have time to read all 22 pages here - but I can't find out how to use Gnome-do in KDE. I like it way better than katapult, but not enough to stick with Gnome. I'm using KDE 3.x, not 4.x. Can somebody please help? I already have Gnome-do installed on my box (since I have both Gnome and KDE installed). I'm running Hardy. Thanks!

fifth_rune
April 29th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Ok, I need some help. How do I remove Gnome-do 0.1 which I installed from source? I keep trying things like installing new versions from source, installing from repos, but I can't kill this little ********. Any help?

SOLVED

Uh, I'm an idiot.

Maupertus
April 29th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I love Gnome-do and I like how much control it gives me without using the mouse.

I wanted to ask one thing, in gutsy I used the following in session preferences:

Name: Gnome-Do
Command: gnome-do --quiet
Comment: Runs gnome-do at start up in the background

Since my upgrade to Hardy 2 days ago, Gnome-do doesn't (no pun intended) launch at start up.

When I run the command in terminal, I get the following output:

4/29/2008 12:14:02 PM [Error]: Failed to load item source from /usr/lib/gnome-do/Do.exe: Method not found: 'Default constructor not found...ctor() of Do.Core.DoItemSource'.
Cannot index Thunderbird contacts because a System.ArgumentNullException was thrown: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: path
Cannot index Thunderbird contacts because a System.ArgumentNullException was thrown: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: path

Can anybody tell me what the problem is?

[SOLVED] I found out that by editing the line to: gnome-do -q, I've solved the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.

readingitsideways
April 30th, 2008, 02:17 PM
When I try to install Do on Gutsy with synaptic I get:

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/do-core/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gnome-do/gnome-do_0.4.0.1-0ubuntu2~ppa3~gutsy_i386.deb
404 Not Found

scicode
May 16th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hi there, here is a plugin for Opera bookmarks (source included, you can add this with a gpl to the rest of the plugins if you want to). I hope it will be possible to write plugins in Python soon.

hyperair
May 16th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Well if you can write a plugin for this, I'm sure you can write a plugin that enables plugins to be written in Python ;)

ghindo
May 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Just wanted to pop in to say that I love this program and use it religiously :)

My only qualm with it would be the barebones man page. I know that a lot of documentation is available online, but it would be nice if the man page included more details on how to configure the program. (I.e. how to set the keybindings, a mention of plugins, etc.)

davidsiegel
May 16th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hi there, here is a plugin for Opera bookmarks (source included, you can add this with a gpl to the rest of the plugins if you want to). I hope it will be possible to write plugins in Python soon.

scicode, please send this to our mailing list if you want anyone to discover it. We do not organize our project on the forums.

jespdj
May 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Yes, I love GNOME Do and use it all the time!

Starting apps by typing Super + space + a few letters + <Enter> is so much faster than using the mouse to navigate the menus or even a quick launch bar (which, besides being slower, also takes up screen space).

+100 for GNOME Do! =D>

ethanay
May 17th, 2008, 11:11 AM
gnome-do has been super stable, and looks nice. super<d> gets me almost anywhere I need to go pretty quickly via keyboard.

deskbar-applet is a nice concept, but it has never been stable for me. it regularly segfaults and/or loses tracker integration.

up until now i have had both running. now i will only run gnome-do. i will miss integrated search/document history functions, but will make-do :)

ok, before i posted this i just found the info on the built-in indexer. Is it hdd/cpu intensive? will it disable like tracker when on battery power?

is there tracker plugin integration planned?

scicode
May 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM
is there tracker plugin integration planned?

go and check out the gnome-do mailing list if you cant wait, somebody was so nice and submitted one

Musky Melon
May 21st, 2008, 06:57 AM
--Delete me

conundrumx
May 26th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I really love Gnome-Do, but sometimes when I want to do a websearch I actually work faster than it. For example; I call Do, type in whatever I want to search my most commonly used engine (google) for, and hit enter. But, nothing happens because the third box which specifies the search engine didn't get called.

This seems to be less of an issue in 0.4.2 (I just updated today), but perhaps if the third box doesn't get time to load it should default to the most used engine when doing a web search.

Thanks for making a great app!

takuhii
May 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Gnome-do is starting everytime I hit space bar. Any ideas, as the keybinding is <Super>space???

conundrumx
May 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Hit your Super key a few times, to see if it's stuck.

Then, start Gnome-Do in a terminal and watch the output. One of the last lines displayed after loading is what key combo it's bound to.

You could also check the Configuration Editor (/apps/gnome-do/preferneces).

takuhii
May 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hit your Super key a few times, to see if it's stuck.

Then, start Gnome-Do in a terminal and watch the output. One of the last lines displayed after loading is what key combo it's bound to.

You could also check the Configuration Editor (/apps/gnome-do/preferneces).

already tried that, seems to be ignoring the <SUPER> bit

conundrumx
May 28th, 2008, 12:16 AM
What are you running? Try a different key combo.

hotweiss
May 28th, 2008, 12:35 AM
This built into Mint 5 Elyssa. I can't find a use for this app...

takuhii
May 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM
What are you running? Try a different key combo.

I'm running Ubunti Linux, Hardy Heron (8.04). I tried the GConf thing to re-do a keystroke combo, but trying to figure out the text version of a particular key is quite hard (ALT + SPACE) for example...

Sugz
May 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Supurb App.. however i cant seem to get "Run in terminal" to work
for example if i type

"Run in terminal TAB ls -a ENTER

All i get is a flash of a terminal and then nothing..

Any help as this would be a very useful function
Woops. . im using XFCE

conundrumx
May 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Takuhii: It is probably "<Alt>space" but beware, that is the default keybinding in Compiz (and probably Metacity) for the window menu. How about <Ctrl><Alt>space?

Sugz: Run in terminal calls the terminal only for the process you pass to it. If you want to see the ouput instead of just running the command to it's completion you should call the terminal first.

Sugz
May 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Can i confirm the presence of a memory leak.
I run Gnome do automatically at startup i dont use it for about 3 hours apart from hibernating my laptop.
the memory usage went from 20mb - 160mb

I have no suggestions for replicating this problem apart from run it then leave it for a while

jonwestin
May 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Im not sure if anyone else had this problem, but it seems Gnome DO doesnt find my Firefox bookmarks. I tried exporting them as is says on the homepage but that didnt work. Im using Ubuntu 8.04.

bigbrovar
May 31st, 2008, 07:15 PM
Can i confirm the presence of a memory leak.
I run Gnome do automatically at startup i dont use it for about 3 hours apart from hibernating my laptop.
the memory usage went from 20mb - 160mb

I have no suggestions for replicating this problem apart from run it then leave it for a while
i can confirm this especially when u install the amarok plugin .. it can use upto 500mb of ram sometimes ..

Sugz
June 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
i can confirm this especially when u install the amarok plugin .. it can use upto 500mb of ram sometimes ..

Just had an experience where i left it once on hibernate came back and it took 10 mins to startup again!
i looked at the system processes and Gnome-do was taking up 600Mb of ram!
Thats 60% my current RAM capacity!
i should have taken a screenshot!

Pasto
June 2nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Great job on Gnome-Do. Just two observations:

I was a huge fan of opening Firefox with gnome-launch-box by just typing 'fox', and rhythmbox typing 'box'. This queries do not produce firefox or rhythmbox as result. :(

And how impossible would it be to allow gnome-do to also close apps? It would add some value for me at least.

Arlanthir
June 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
My Gnome-Do doesn't open url (just Creative Commons Search all the time!!!) OR gmail (with custom mail command and gmail plugin) =/

It's a little sad, though, it would be great if it worked :(

Just fresh installation from synaptic, on hardy.

Launching applications works, opening folders or files always opens its parent folder... Rhythmbox enqueue of albums and artists is perfect :)

Where can I get help about this?

EDIT: Trying to see if the www. misinterpretation came from WWE musics, I removed them from both the disc and Rhythmbox, cleaned .config/gnome-do, purged and reinstalled gnome-do and yet it STILL sees them SOMEWHERE. Argh!

*cries for help*

EDIT2: I managed to "up" the permissions on the actions above by pression DOWN and TAB and selecting the right action.
It seems to remember my choices :)

reacocard
June 2nd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Great job on Gnome-Do. Just two observations:

I was a huge fan of opening Firefox with gnome-launch-box by just typing 'fox', and rhythmbox typing 'box'. This queries do not produce firefox or rhythmbox as result. :(

And how impossible would it be to allow gnome-do to also close apps? It would add some value for me at least.

you can teach gnome-do what 'fox' and 'box' should mean. Here's how:

1) type in the phrase, eg 'fox'
2) press the down arrow to get a full list of matches, select the desired match, eg. 'firefox', and launch it
3) repeat 1 and 2 until gnome-do has learned what you want.

y0uiip
June 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
I just started using Do, and it is really awesome. I have been doing a lot of reading and I notice three features being talked about that I cannot seem to access.

1. when a file is selected, they say you can use an "open with" feature, but I have gone through the whole list of options and it only gives me an "open" option

2. the option to email a selected file. I can email the people in my pigin and evolution contacts just fine, but when I have a file selected I cannot email it (attach it to an email)

3. the Append Selected Text feature. How do I get that to work?

I'd love to figure these things out, they seem like crazy useful features. Thanks for any help you can give!

klange
June 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I've always had one major problem with Gnome-Do - it doesn't work with my theme. The color detection is worse than OpenOffice's! Seriously, can't it be made an option in GConf or something? This green definitely doesn't go with... anything else (http://random.ogunderground.com/gnome-do.png).

hyperair
June 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Run GNOME Do with --glassframe. The result is a black GNOME Do, which is smaller and is surrounded by a translucent border. I prefer that interface to others.

This is the code in my Sessions:

gnome-do --glassframe --quiet

klange
June 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Run GNOME Do with --glassframe. The result is a black GNOME Do, which is smaller and is surrounded by a translucent border. I prefer that interface to others.

This is the code in my Sessions:

gnome-do --glassframe --quiet

--glassframe appears to be the default. --mini gives me a smaller black look.

hyperair
June 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
--glassframe appears to be the default. --mini gives me a smaller black look.

See this: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/2338961815_cfcafacda1.jpg
That's glassframe.

klange
June 3rd, 2008, 05:11 PM
See this: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/2338961815_cfcafacda1.jpg
That's glassframe.

Guess it just doesn't work for me. :) mini works fine.