PDA

View Full Version : Alliteration

RealG187
March 10th, 2007, 04:18 AM
I notice the catchy names "Edgy Eft" and "Dapper Drake"

they both have the same letter in each word, is this intentional? Do all Ubuntu versions do this? [I only know of these two..]

I love the Alliteration....

halitech
March 10th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Hoary Hedgehog
breezy badger
dapper drake
edgy eft (still can't figure out where eft came from but oh well)
fiesty fawn

hmmm, yep, looks like all of em. think it makes it easier to remember what version you have then 5.10, 6.06, 6.1, 7.04

aysiu
March 10th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Yes.

Warty Warthog
Hoary Hedgehog
Breezy Badger
Dapper Drake
Edgy Eft
Fiesty Fawn

maniacmusician
March 10th, 2007, 04:30 AM
They are also going to be alphabetical for the most part. Since 6.10 was Edgy Eft and 7.04 will be Feisty Fawn. G... G... is already taken up by Grumpy Groundhog, and H... H... is Hoary Hedgehog, so the next release will be codenamed I... I.... .

Also, in case you didn't know, the numbering scheme has reason to it as well. It's numbered like this:
Year.Month. So, 6.10 came out in October of 2006 (10/2006) and 7.04 is coming out in April 2007 (04/2007)

yabbadabbadont
March 10th, 2007, 04:36 AM
They are also going to be alphabetical for the most part. Since 6.10 was Edgy Eft and 7.04 will be Feisty Fawn. G... G... is already taken up by Grumpy Groundhog, so the next release will be codenamed I... I.... .

Hungry Hippo perhaps? :D

maniacmusician
March 10th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Oh, I forgot to say that H was already taken up as well. I'll edit my post, lol.

yabbadabbadont
March 10th, 2007, 04:42 AM
If I were a groundhog, I would be grumpy too. Stupid people pulling you out of your nice warm den ever Feb 2.... :lol:

How about "Insane Ibis"?

H.E. Pennypacker
March 10th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Probably has something to do with a version of Debian. A Debian version has a similar name.

PS: Alliteration is appreciated by a Real G 187 (Homicide)? I found that somewhat funny. :)

maniacmusician
March 10th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Probably has something to do with a version of Debian. A Debian version has a similar name.

PS: Alliteration is appreciated by a Real G 187 (Homicide)? I found that somewhat funny. :)
Nah, the format for the codenames is a certain way. The first word is a personality trait or characteristic. The second word is an animal.

So "Edgy" means new technologies, testing the waters, on the edge. "Eft" is a lizard, like a newt.

That can be applied to any of the release codenames. It doesn't have anything to do with Debian Etch.

viergeame
March 10th, 2007, 05:28 AM
For those of you wondering an eft is actually an animal. It's some sort of salamander. I was curious about why this seemed to be the only one without an animal name so I looked it up. They are weird pudgy little red lizards.

FuturePilot
March 10th, 2007, 05:28 AM

I swear I remember reading somewhere what an eft was. Hmmm. I can't remember where that was.

fuscia
March 10th, 2007, 05:31 AM
yucky yak will be the pinnacle of human achievment.

yabbadabbadont
March 10th, 2007, 09:27 AM
yucky yak will be the pinnacle of human achievment.

No, that will be the "Zany Zebra." :lol:

RealG187
March 11th, 2007, 03:16 AM
187 is police code for homocide [found in lots of gangsta rap...]

Anyways, usually a big difference in one number, ex from 1.0 to 2.0, small ones are like from 1.0 to 1.1, but then again grater differences do mean more differences if they were released farther apart [usually..]

It's cool how they name it like that...