PDA

View Full Version : Where do you come from?

tread
May 29th, 2005, 11:03 PM
In terms of using Ubuntu, i.e. :)

I'm really curious, are you:
1. Experienced Linux user, switching to ubuntu?

2. New Linux user, Ubuntu first Linux distro?
If this is the case, could you post your age group too? Something like less than 16, 16-35, 35-50, greater than 50 .. if you don't mind.
This could also be first time computer user, Ubuntu first operating system .. you get the idea.

3. New Linux user, trying out distributions till you found Ubuntu and stayed here?
If possible, a list of what distributions you tried and what kept you on Ubuntu.

4. Introduced by a friend/self/advertisements?
Huh? What advertisements!? :)

5. Do you run Ubuntu with English or your first language?
Something like:
1st language - English or
1st language - Spanish or
2nd language - English

As far as I could see, there wasn't a thread like this before .. there is Kassetra's thread about what type of Ubuntu user you are, but that isn't what I am looking at here. Please note: don't bad mouth Windows/other distributions here .. this is not meant as flamebait. Also, if the moderators feel this is redundant/unnecessary .. please close it down.

garnertr
May 29th, 2005, 11:57 PM
No; ******* to Linux, been playing for about 6-months to one year.

No; RedHad Fedora Core; 35-years old.

Found online.

English only.

23meg
May 30th, 2005, 12:00 AM
i think i'm something between 1 and 3 :) what keeps me with Ubuntu in short is its similarity to, and yet many superiorities over Debian, which has been my favorite distro ever since i stepped into the world of linux.

i run it with the english locale since i want to see menus, dialogs, etc. displayed in english, and i'm having difficulties with some apps where they don't properly display some non-western characters in my first language.

XDevHald
May 30th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Windows to Linux, about 6 months as well

Not new to linux, first Distro was Mandrake 10.2 - Age 21

I tried out, Fedora Core, Mandrake, Gentoo, MEPIS, Kubuntu, Ubuntu.

Found Online from this forum ;)

English Only

tread
May 30th, 2005, 12:33 AM
I just realized I should post too :)

I'd consider myself an experienced Linux user, though my Linux involvment has been a little low the past 2-3 years. Switching to Ubuntu after following Redhat 5 to 9, Mandrake 10, 10.2 and finally Ubuntu. I also tried Debian and FreeBSD at some point.

Introduced by a friend.

I run English, though that isn;t my mother tongue. But I'm more comfortable in English than any other language ..

thechitowncubs
May 30th, 2005, 12:54 AM

Ironi
May 30th, 2005, 01:19 AM
I got started with MiniLin, a Slackware-based dist, back in 1995 or so. I used it on a 486 with the umsdos filesystem (a nasty, easily corruptible fs that used an existing FAT fs). I even tried running the X Window System back then, but everything was too slow and Netscape always died with a Bus Error whenever I tried to run it.

After that, I moved to Debian around 1997 and stuck with it through several generations of hardware and software upgrades. Around 1998, when Enlightenment was big, I made my first attempt at marginalizing Windows and using Linux more often. I didn't really succeed though, and I continue to dual boot to this day.

I added the Ubuntu repos to my apt sources late last year. At first, I only used Ubuntu's Xorg and stuck with Debian for everything else. Then I decided to go all-out and make hoary my primary upgrade source. Of course, I got a bit miffed a short time after that and tried to revert to Debian packages.

Presently, I'm still using both Debian and Ubuntu packages in a careful balance, but I intend to either go back to Debian or move on to another distribution soon. Debian seems to have been permanently slowed down by Ubuntu and by its own problems, so the likelihood of my going back to it isn't very high. Sticking with Ubuntu isn't an option: to be blunt (when am I not?), its community sucks. Hard. It's long past time for me to expand my horizons, anyways.

BTW, I'm 25 and I run Ubuntu with my first language, English.

KiwiNZ
May 30th, 2005, 01:36 AM
I have been using Linux since the mid nineties . I am a distro junkie , I have tried many of the years .

I like Ubuntu for its simplicity and Community.

I have used ....
Redhat version from version 5 to 9
Fedora Core 1 ,2,3
Mandrake 8.1 to 10.2
Suse 8 to 9.2
Slackware 10
Yoper
Debian
Xandros 1 to 3
Linspire 4
Turbo linux
Kubuntu
And numerous live CD distros

I introduced myself to Linux , I am an IT Manager so it was a professional interest to investigate fully options available

My age group between 35 and 50

benplaut
May 30th, 2005, 01:51 AM
i used windows from way back at DOS (wait... that wasn't even windows) up to a few months ago. I used SuSE 9.2 for a while, and then decided that it was too slow for my liking.

Used ubuntu for 3-4 months, and learning at a very concentrated rate...

python is my next goal O:)

totalshredder
May 30th, 2005, 01:58 AM
In terms of using Ubuntu, i.e. :)

I'm really curious, are you:
Just a windows user. I had used a few live CDs, but ubuntu was my first real distro.

If this is the case, could you post your age group too? Something like less than 16, 16-35, 35-50, greater than 50 .. if you don't mind.
This could also be first time computer user, Ubuntu first operating system .. you get the idea.
Heh, well I guess I half answered it in that last one. I guess I make the 16-35 group by a month(bet you can't guess how old I am).

3. New Linux user, trying out distributions till you found Ubuntu and stayed here?
If possible, a list of what distributions you tried and what kept you on Ubuntu.
DamnSmallLinux
Slax (these two got me started)
Mandrake (I didn't have any other CD-Rs that I wanted to use so I only burnt one cd and therefore gave up.)
Ubuntu - It just kinda didn't break on me, and it installed, so I used it.

Huh? What advertisements!? :)
I admit, I'm a loser. I was trying to convice a friend that I could get free CDs online, so after signing up for five or six free CDs(boy was that lame), I ran into ubuntu and quickly burnt myself a copy.

Something like:
1st language - English or
1st language - Spanish or
2nd language - English
1st Language - English
2nd Language - PHP

As far as I could see, there wasn't a thread like this before .. there is Kassetra's thread about what type of Ubuntu user you are, but that isn't what I am looking at here. Please note: don't bad mouth Windows/other distributions here .. this is not meant as flamebait. Also, if the moderators feel this is redundant/unnecessary .. please close it down.

kassetra
May 30th, 2005, 02:06 AM
Experienced Linux User - switched to Ubuntu three (almost four) months ago.
Started with Linux in 1997... switched to a full-time desktop in 1999.
let's see... RedHat 5.x->SuSE 6.x->Debian Hammy->Debian Woody->Debian Potato->RedHat 7.x->RedHat 9.x->SuSE 9.x->Ubuntu (And I'm staying here!)

Ubuntu has the following: apt, good gnome defaults, six-month-release cycle, apt, apt, apt, cool development team, good desktop focus, APT, updated images, APT APT APT.... heh - those are the reasons I really like it.

I was introduced to Ubuntu via gnome-look... I saw the brown wallpapers people were creating.... and decided to go see what all the rapture was about. heh.

English - 1st language, Japanese - 2nd language.

Oh yeah, and a lady never reveals her age... heh.

tread
May 30th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Hehe .. sorry for asking Kassetra :D

What I am trying to understand is this: How is Ubuntu attracting people? For experienced Linux users .. its not too hard to imagine how they would land up here. I started using Linux with Redhat 5 back in 1996 (or 97 :???: ) and I remember how much I struggled to get enlightenment compiled and even the kernel source .. but I was always interested and would have stuck with it anyway. Along with your thread, this gives a clearer idea of who Ubuntu users are - the most advantageous (from a propagating linux point of view) I think are the age groups < 16 and 35-50. The kids .. well, catch them young philosophy .. and they are likely to influence their friends and eventually want to work in Linux .. 6-7 years later!
The 30-50 age group is really important, since these are frequently the people in command in software companies .. and will therefore have more influence on what is used there.

I'm rambling, aren't I? I guess I haven't thought things through .. hopefully this thread will help me do that!

somuchfortheafter
May 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM
my first experience at all with Linux was with a distro called best Linux, the installer failed on my test machine so i decided to forget Linux and go back to mohaa lol. soon after that i heard about knoppix std on tech tv *when it was awesome* and started fooling around with that, found that knoppix in its own right was cool. I did a dual boot of mandrake 9. something and windows xp although i never learned much from mandrake but simple frustration. From there I went to mepis and from mepis back to knoppix std which was using fluxbox, that instilled alot of command prompt knowledge in me. Then I installed slackware but still found it not adequate on the desktop. In about a month from then I purchased a laptop and tried to install sarge on it to no avail so then i went to slackware 10.0 which had just been released and thats what was on my laptop until I found a copy of warty in a Linux magazine about 3 months ago, since then all of my machines run ubuntu hoary with an xp dual boot. the laptop dual boots for virii scanning and spyware removal and the desktop dual boots for games. all of that mentioned above took about 2 years and well somewhere along the lines i dabbled in gentoo but not exactly sure where. My primary language is english and I consider myself to be a fairly knowledgeable user for Linux based systems. And I am 17 years old living in good ole north carolina lol.

joele
May 30th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Experience = Slackware pre october 2002... Since then Libranet (another debian based distribution), and slackware on server still....

Age = 27

Distributions tried = Libranet, Debian, Gentoo, Redhat, Mandrake, Slackware

How found Ubuntu = I found ubuntu as mentioned on Libranet forum LOL

Language = English only...

pravit
May 30th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Experience: No Linux experience at all. Had heard good things about it but I figured it would be too complicated for me. Someone talked about switching to Ubuntu pretty easily, so I tried out the live CD and liked it. I've now installed a dual boot Ubuntu/XP system. Still fighting with it to get it working nicely, especially w/ sound.

Languages:
English, Russian, German. I run Ubuntu in English and I'm trying to get it to display Cyrillic filenames properly.

tread
May 30th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Keep at it pravit :)

KiwiNZ
May 30th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Oh yeah, and a lady never reveals her age... heh.

And a gentleman should never ask :)

pdk001
May 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM
first distro : fedora core
language : korean

sapo
May 30th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Ubuntu has the following: apt, good gnome defaults, six-month-release cycle, apt, apt, apt, cool development team, good desktop focus, APT, updated images, APT APT APT.... heh - those are the reasons I really like it.

This is what i call an "apt lover" :-P

I ve started in linux with conectiva.. n its first releases (now bought by madrake) i started with linux cause i won an old computer from my ssiter (pentium 100mhz 8mb ram 1.1GB HD)

And at that time it was when the mp3 was invented.. and that computer didnt play mp3 on windows 95, so a friend talked about linux.. so i started to play mp3 with mpg123 while browsing the internet with a 14.4k modem :-P

But i really switched 100% with ubuntu 4 months ago.. cause i really didnt find an distro that could make me unistall windows.. but ubuntu did....

Now windows is just a bad memory from the past :grin:

Gsibbery
May 30th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Been using UNIX/Linux since about 1998.

Experienced computer and UNIX user.

Used RedHat, Slackware, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Knoppix. Just started with Ubuntu.

Found it when searching for "Linux CDs" at google.

English is my first language.

nrgmaster
May 31st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Well, I tried too, once the best linux distro, but could never make it work, being a totally newbie, community support wasn't really nice, so i gave up, I've just received my ubuntu CD's 3 days ago, so i'm dual-booting 'till I find, at least, how to configure my modem, I'm still reading all I can on this forums, really don't know anything about linux, but i'm a very fast learner, age? 39, and i found about it on the internet while searching for an "easy-to-handle" linux version
I run it on my locale language, which is spanish, but I'm thinking about changing that to english, to make it easier when applying tutorials. :)

tread
May 31st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the board nrgmaster .. you'll find these forums much more helpful than any other distros .. this is a really nice community :)

ddewolfe
June 1st, 2005, 02:20 AM
The first computer I programmed was a DEC PDP-8. It had a whopping 8 K of memory. It had to be booted with a bunch of toggle switches on the front of it, which finally activated a little tape drive that loaded the rest of the OS. The programming language was FOCAL and we interfaced to the machine with a teletype AS-33.

Since then , I've used or owned pretty well enerything. One real cool computer I owned in the early 1980's was a CPM based machine with a built-in Epson printer and modem. It was called an ACTRIX.

I have mainly lived in the Unix/Linux world since about 1980. Used and/or administered IRIX, ESIX, ATT Sys. V, Solaris, SunOS, SCO 3.2, AIX, XENIX, Slackware (my first Linux), a bunch of Linux distros and now Ubuntu with KDE added.

I currently use on an IBM Thinkpad R31 and do math software development in Fortran.

Dave

ldavey
January 6th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I am new to linux but am a advanced windows user, altho i have hardly touched windows since installing linux on my main pc to force myself to learn it.

Red Hat was my first distro which i only tried out about 6/7 months ago, then i tried ubuntu and then fedora core, i wasnt happy with redhat or fedora core all that much but seemed to have fallen in love with ubuntu so i didnt try any other distros and just went back ubuntu, been using it since early october.

I find the community very very nice and theres somthing about ubuntu which just feels like home, i am 26 and live in UK... Ubuntu all the way !

beercz
January 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Unix & MS-DOS (yes I've been doing this a long time, since MS-DOS 3.2) to Windows (from version 1.0) to Linux (on and off until about a year ago) about 3 and half years ago.

Originally used debian potato, then woody then sarge (also dabbled with sid) - have tried others such as Red Hat, Suse, Mandrake etc ....

Ubuntu is my favourite for my desktop and 2 laptops, debian sarge for my 3 servers. Friend recommended Ubuntu.

I'm aged 44, and English is my mother tongue, speak schoolboy French and gobbledegook according to colleagues!!

(<-- This is where I come from, or at least where I live now!!!!)

papatoes
January 7th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Just a windows user. I had used a few live CDs, but ubuntu was my first real distro.

Heh, well I guess I half answered it in that last one. I guess I make the 16-35 group by a month(bet you can't guess how old I am).

DamnSmallLinux
Slax (these two got me started)
Mandrake (I didn't have any other CD-Rs that I wanted to use so I only burnt one cd and therefore gave up.)
Ubuntu - It just kinda didn't break on me, and it installed, so I used it.

I admit, I'm a loser. I was trying to convice a friend that I could get free CDs online, so after signing up for five or six free CDs(boy was that lame), I ran into ubuntu and quickly burnt myself a copy.

1st Language - English
2nd Language - PHP
brand new to linux and just installed ubuntu. I have always used windows and look forward to learning this o.s. english only but learning french.

Iandefor
January 7th, 2006, 01:59 AM
I'm relatively new to Linux. I've been using it exclusively for about six months now, but I'd had it installed on at least one of my computers for more than a year now. I'd classify myself as the second option: New Linux user, Ubuntu first Linux distro. But it's not entirely accurate to say it's my first distro. My first distribution was Xandros.

As for my age group, I'm 15.