PDA

View Full Version : How many times a day does firefox crash on you?

NoTiG
March 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Just wondering. mine crashes alot.. granted, i think most of it is caused by the flash plugin which is rather new... how about you

Bloch
March 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Mine crashes for most of the TV stations at this site:

http://www.beelinetv.com/

but never crashes on flash streaming media

spier
March 9th, 2007, 07:08 PM
This week firefox started with problems dealing with bookmarks. They still are there, but nothing happens while clicking on them. Reinstalled it twice, start working then breaks again.

Yesterday jumped to Opera, and I'm really impressed, so far.

Tuna-Fish
March 9th, 2007, 07:35 PM
It appears the flash 9 thing is borked and crashes a lot, bringing ff down with it. Sucks.

moore.bryan
March 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM
my firefox crashed, like, every two seconds... realized it was a combo of my personally compiled kernel and 128mb ram... went up to 1gb ram and used a vanilla kernel and all of my crashes stopped.

Crashmaxx
March 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Only on occasion, like if I'm on some awful site like myspace.com it might crash. But for normal sites that aren't coded out of poo, firefox is rock solid.

But maybe that has something to do with using swiftfox instead of the default version.

nero_86
March 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM
My Firefox sometimes crash a lot of time, sometimes don't... My Gaim crash every minute and i cannot understand why :(
Anyone know why?

Sunflower1970
March 9th, 2007, 07:58 PM
No problem with FF crashing in Windows or Ubuntu. Although I started to use Opera 9.10 on one of my Ubuntu boxes and that crashes a bit...(It's being used on my PII because it's faster than FF)

userundefine
March 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I can't remember the last time FF crashed. It's been that long for me.

MedivhX
March 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM
o crashes a day!!! I suppose that I'm kinda "blessed"...

munckfish
March 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
It depends which site. Most days I see no problems at all. However at the moment if I go to www.apple.com it just crashes straight out. Maybe my Ubuntu install is getting hurt that I'm visiting Apple!! :D

I haven't looked into it very far but I think it's something to do with some media plugin or other - possibly quicktime video. Dunno.

Koori23
March 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Mine works fine for Apple.com YouTube and Google Video, I get crash happy when I'm streaming Flash. Other than that, not all that much really.

Kateikyoushi
March 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Rarely, not even once a month, (do not have flash insalled)

ihatethedekoys
March 9th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Only when I try to leave a page right after a streaming flash movie ended, like hitting back, or closing a tab right after a youtube video ends.

Of course I could just be patient and wait 3-5 seconds for it to finish streaming ... but I'm impatient by nature.

aysiu
March 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM
1/4 of the people answering the poll have Firefox crash on them more than once a day?

If I were in that group, I'd just switch to another browser (Opera, Konqueror, Epiphany, etc.).

I get 0 crashes a day.

Aneb
March 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
1-2 times a day, usually crashes upon startup, meaning I have to start firefox twice in order to surf, opera ftw :)

oblivion
March 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM
In 64-bit Ubuntu 3+ times a day...
In 32-bit Ubuntu never.
In Windows never.

Trebuchet
March 9th, 2007, 11:33 PM
It seldom crashes, but it can gobble up as much as 130 Mb of RAM on my system. :(

Pikestaff
March 9th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Certain websites that I view crash Firefox, but it doesn't happen often. Maybe once or twice a week... at the most. No big deal for me really, especially with the Restore Session feature that Firefox 2 has.

Nikron
March 9th, 2007, 11:45 PM
After I correctly installed my plugins my firefox hs crashed since.

FyreBrand
March 9th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I normally have 0 crashes. I used to have a lot more lockups and freezes and now after the last couple FF version upgrades I haven't been having them at all. I'm using 2.0.0.2.

koenn
March 9th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I didn't know it was supposed to crash daily. Mine doesn't.

chickengirl
March 10th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I use Gran Paradiso Alpha 2 (because... there's something a little wrong with my head... O.o) and I don't think it's ever crashed on me.

Spr0k3t
March 10th, 2007, 12:20 AM
<1 per day. Generally the crashes are from badly written sites like Youtube or the offthewall search result pages. Many times I can attribute the crashes to 32bit flash on a 64bit system.

FuturePilot
March 10th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Almost never. Though sometimes it locks up for a few seconds when loading a page with a lot of flash on it.

seijuro
March 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Believe it or not I've never had Firefox crash on me not even in windows I do have java and flash and a couple other addons but I keep addons to a minimum generally.

Gerard Barberi
March 10th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I never had it crash until I was edgy. But, then it didn't really "crash", it just froze up or took a reeaalllly long time to load a page. So I went back to dapper. Recently I put ubuntu ultimate on my laptop to give it a try (Because of beryl). I haven't really used the ubuntu partition on my laptop a lot so it was no biggie.
Whenever I loaded beryl, firefox refused to open. I never got it solved, but i was able to install and use swiftfox instead.

Quillz
March 10th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Firefox has never crashed for me on any platform for all the time I've been using it.

AndyCooll
March 10th, 2007, 02:27 AM
1/4 of the people answering the poll have Firefox crash on them more than once a day?

If I were in that group, I'd just switch to another browser (Opera, Konqueror, Epiphany, etc.).

I get 0 crashes a day.

I disagree.

When I was having issues with Firefox crashing, I first of all investigated possible reasons by doing a search on these forums. Turns out that there was a known bug with Firefox 2.0, Next I tried the fixes suggested. Problem solved. No need to switch browsers.

By all means try another browser, however if you like FF it might first be worth doing a search for possible causes and remedies.

:cool:

kevinf311
March 10th, 2007, 03:16 AM
On my most recent install of Edgy I had lots of problems with Firefox and other programs (moslty memory intensive ones) crashing randomly. I switched to Swiftfox but it didn't seem to help.

I later found out that I had a bad DIMM slot and *fox was apparently putting important data in oblivious memory indexes.

After I worked out my RAM configuration (that was a fun 2 days :rolleyes: ) I've been very stable. I lost Conky in the battle, but other than that Swiftfox only shows signs of distress when loading really really bad pages (*cough* pimped out myspace *cough* ).

jrusso2
March 10th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Firefox does not crash that often maybe once every week. If yours is crashing a lot I would remove all the plugins and install them one at a time with a week or so in between each one to see if they are the cause.

Jeanette

BrokeBody
March 10th, 2007, 03:55 AM
About 10-20 times a day. version 2.0.0.2

Mateo
March 10th, 2007, 03:59 AM
sometimes when a page has a media embedded it locks up for a few seconds but usually returns. it has only crashed a few times in ubuntu.

yabbadabbadont
March 10th, 2007, 04:06 AM
I don't have any plugins installed and I have Javascript disabled for all but a few sites. Never had any problems with either the 1.5 or 2.0 series of Firefox. As has already been suggested, if firefox is crashing on you, disable all plugins, extensions, and javascript. If that stops the crashing, enable javascript since it is built in, but nothing else. If it still doesn't crash, then it isn't firefox that is the problem, but your extensions/plugins. Turn them on one at a time until you have problems. Remove the culprit and file bugs (if possible) against it with the author.

cowlip
March 10th, 2007, 04:48 AM
I have a ton of plugins and extensions installed and Firefox is very stable for me these days. I experience many more problems with Gnome and KDE apps crashing; god damn you gnome-panel, nautilus, konqueror and kicker :)

reyfer
March 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Well, my Firefox (2.0.0.2) used to crash more that three times a day, until I changed back to the default theme..... Now it's been two full days without a single crash :confused:

Polygon
March 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM
i get almost no crashes with firefox ever... sometimes but rarely

version 2.0.0.2

plugins:

flash 9, latest version
noscript
adblock plus
chatzilla
download status bar
popup alt attribute
update notifier

default theme

you guys, you know that the flash 9 plugin has been updated since it first came out... right? Try updating to the latest version and see if that helps at all.

Dale61
March 10th, 2007, 09:37 AM
For me, Firefox doesn't crash, as such, but I am forced to shut it down every time I get an untitled window appear.

Now, I get an untitled window about 2-3 times a day.

DC@DR
March 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
My last FF crash was around one month ago, when I tried to watch an online TV programs and play online java games at the same time, since then, my FF's been running so smooooooothlyyyyyy, cheers :D

RAV TUX
March 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM
firefox usually does not crash on me but it crashed on me today due to an extension, stumbleupon, which is usually a bit problematic for firefox in general...

simple solution,....I just uninstalled stumbleupon and all is good again...

my advice is don't bother with this extension it simply is not worth the trouble

Opera, Konqueror, Seamonkey, Epiphany, and Galeon have never crashed on me but with the exception of Opera and Konqueror I don't use the others that much

NewJack
March 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
SInce upgrading to 2.0.2 last night, I have had about 15 crashes.

I have the following extensions installed:

Ebay Negs
ForcastFox
ImageZoom
Tab Mix Plus

I don't have any problems with it on WinXP. Hope to get this fixed.

the_darkside_986
March 13th, 2007, 10:21 PM
0 times for me because i haven't been visiting flash websites on my Ubuntu machine. Except for the other day when I visited the Borat website and watched a few videos, but it didn't crash firefox.

Just to remind everyone: there is a project called gnash which is to be an open source implementation of a flash player for linux. It is very unstable and I can't even figure out how to get it working right but if anyone is interested in developing or testing it they should google for free open source flash player or gnash. (But it takes forever to build. I went all over the internet trying to find the right development libraries and still can't find all the right ones. I built it with some missing features that might explain why it won't play the flash video stored on my drive.)