PDA

View Full Version : um Konqueror as a file manager.. can't firefox do that also??

billdotson
March 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I have heard that konqueror is the best web browser because it can surf the web and that it is also a file manager. Although in Firefox you cannot copy and paste and do those sorts of things all you have to do is type the path of where you want to go in the address bar and you can view any files you have.

So is the file manager thing the only reason people prefer konqueror.. is it really that big of a deal?

ComplexNumber
March 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
i don't think konqueror was any good as a web browser. many pages which render correctly in firefox don't in konqueror. it also has a known habit of crashing. it tries to do everything, but ends up doing nothing well.
stick to firefox :).

Erunno
March 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Konqueror is not the best browser, that honour goes to Opera ;-)

Konqueror uses small, independent components called kparts which are embedded in its shell. Firefox can't do that because it was not made to use the component architecture of KDE and probably never will as it is intended to be OS/DE independent. There are not only components for web and file browsing but also for reading PDFs, editing files, viewing pictures etc. It can be useful if you happen to have a lot of documents open while working as it is easier to manage documents via tabs contrary to managing them via the taskbar but it really depends on your own personal workflow. Most of the kparts can also be started in applications of their own if you prefer it that way.

mykalreborn
March 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM
@billdotson

firefox can also manage files. but it's not remotely as good as konqueror at that. firefox can manage files in the sense that it can see them (on a ftp server for instance) and it can download them. but that's about it. konqueror can do a lot more things, and so can nautilus and so can thunar

mykalreborn
March 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Konqueror is not the best browser, that honour goes to Opera
don't mean to argue with you, but the best browser is in fact firefox. no doubt about it. :p

billdotson
March 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I dunno I just started using Opera and I like it a bit more.

aaronfulton
March 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Konqueror is a good web broser and a good file manager. It doesn't excel in either category. Nautilus is a much,much better file manager and IMHO the best web browser depends on what you are doing. I like Opera for media rich browsing, Firefox for surfing, Kazehakase and Galeon when I need to save system resources, and Konqueror and Epiphany are both ;IMO, mediocre.

~LoKe
March 9th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Nautilus is only an alt+f2 away.

Jose Catre-Vandis
March 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Try firefox extension "firefly" for file management functionality!

Colonel Kilkenny
March 9th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Konqueror is a great browser for normal web browsing. It has very "snappy" gui and it renders pages fast.
And the best part of it is the file manager. Mouse gestures in file manager, oh la la laa.

SunnyRabbiera
March 9th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Firefox really wasnt meant to be a FM, but it can be modded.
I Think Konq is a great file browser and web browser, sure it doesnt render nearly as many pages as firefox, but I think it is a good web browser and FM