PDA

View Full Version : Linux and governments

tread
May 29th, 2005, 06:33 PM
The Indian government is distributing localized Linux cds free .. good news that! Look at the article here (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5720008.html)

Any other governments doing something similar?

23meg
May 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM
3.5 million cds, now that's something! even better that this made microsoft delay their release and reconsider their plans, if this is really the case. i still believe india and china's possible wide scale adoption of open source can change the climate of computing worldwide.

trash
May 29th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Any other governments doing something similar?

Soon I bet!

benplaut
May 29th, 2005, 07:57 PM
3.5 million cds, now that's something! even better that this made microsoft delay their release and reconsider their plans, if this is really the case. i still believe india and china's possible wide scale adoption of open source can change the climate of computing worldwide.

you take on south america, i've got the pacific islands covered :twisted:

Takis
May 29th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I shotgun Australia! :)

Seriously, though, I think this is a not-too-bright (well-meaning but poorly executed) way of promoting Linux compared to other methods (such as simply teaching it in schools).

tread
May 30th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Well, schools in India don't have computers to any major extent yet .. only private schools might have them. Government run schools are poor and unlikely to have computers.

When I go back home I am going to try setup a volunteer effort in my city for schools, getting companies to donate old hardware and installing linux on them. I think this is a good start though.

trash
May 30th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Well, schools in India don't have computers to any major extent yet .. only private schools might have them. Government run schools are poor and unlikely to have computers.

When I go back home I am going to try setup a volunteer effort in my city for schools, getting companies to donate old hardware and installing linux on them. I think this is a good start though.

Good way to go about it, I just submitted a proposal to get a program like that off the ground here, so far there is so much interest that I have secured a $2000 donation from a local org. The linux side is just a small part of my proposal but it still helped spark a lot of interest... partly because I am living in an extreme economically depressed region so the idea of recycling equipment was very welcomed.
:)