PDA

View Full Version : search list question from Gentoo user

organicorange
March 8th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hi I'm not sure where to put this.... so I'll put it here?

Ok. I've been a long time Gentoo user and decided to try Ubuntu since everyone I know who has tried it, raves about it. Is there something similar to "emerge -s" in Ubuntu, or I guess I should say in Synaptic, that I can run from the command line? Is it something like apt-get cache or something? I know it isn't apt-get cache, but I mean something similar. I loved emerge and how robust it is.

Thanks. I attempted a quick search but it yielded nothing, and don't yell at me to Google it!

Nikron
March 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I assume emerge -s means search, so the it would be apt-cache search

organicorange
March 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM
that's true, but I was hoping for something that gave me more of a description, say like if I had it installed (but I know that might be asking a bit much as there is no portage tree type of thing (that I am aware of) already installed on my system (also without using Synaptic, I am not to familiar with it and usually just use apt). I have used apt-cache, but I thought I heard someone mention something else, something a little more "robust." You know, it would do a quick search and maybe tell me what packages which might conflict or even what versions. I was hoping for something with more tags than only -s or -S.

I don't know, maybe I'm a dreamer, but this is something I really miss (but I must say, for me the pros of do outweigh the cons!)

but, maybe I am wrong... and such a thing does not exist! :( If you know of anything more of what I am looking for, then that would be excellent!!!!

:)

tbroderick
March 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM
that's true, but I was hoping for something that gave me more of a description, say like if I had it installed (but I know that might be asking a bit much as there is no portage tree type of thing (that I am aware of) already installed on my system (also without using Synaptic, I am not to familiar with it and usually just use apt). I have used apt-cache, but I thought I heard someone mention something else, something a little more "robust." You know, it would do a quick search and maybe tell me what packages which might conflict or even what versions. I was hoping for something with more tags than only -s or -S.

Try sudo aptitude show packagename. It will show you a detailed description, confilcts, depends, version #, replaces, provides, and much more, including if it's installed or not. Here is an example of sudo aptitude show konqeuror.

scratch@blackark:~$ sudo aptitude show konqueror
Package: konqueror
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu14
Priority: optional
Section: web
Maintainer: Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 5460k
Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.5-1), libacl1 (>= 2.2.11-1), libart-2.0-2 (>=
2.3.16), libattr1 (>= 2.4.4-1), libaudio2, libc6 (>= 2.5-0ubuntu1),
libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.2),
libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libidn11 (>= 0.5.18), libjpeg62, libkonq4 (>=
4:3.5.5-1), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.8), libsm6,
libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.2), libx11-6, libxcursor1 (> 1.1.2), libxext6, libxft2
(> 2.1.1), libxi6, libxinerama1, libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0), libxrender1,
libxt6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), kcontrol (= 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu14),
kdebase-kio-plugins (= 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu14), kdesktop (=
4:3.5.6-0ubuntu14), kfind (= 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu14)
Suggests: khelpcenter, konq-plugins, ksvg, gij-4.1, libgcj7-awt, libjessie-java
Conflicts: kdebase-audiolibs (< 4:3.0.0), kdebase-libs (< 4:3.0.0)
Replaces: kdebase (< 4:3.0.0), kdebase-audiolibs (< 4:3.0.0), kdebase-doc (<
4:3.0.0), kdebase-libs (< 4:3.0.0)
Provides: info-browser, man-browser, www-browser
Description: KDE's advanced file manager, web browser and document viewer
Konqueror is the file manager for the K Desktop Environment. It supports basic
file management on local UNIX filesystems, from simple cut/copy and paste
operations to advanced remote and local network file browsing.

It is also the canvas for all the latest KDE technology, from KIO slaves (which
provide mechanisms for file access) to component embedding via the KParts object
interface, and it is one of the most customizable applications available.

Konqueror is an Open Source web browser with HTML4.0 compliance, supporting Java
applets, JavaScript, CSS1 and (partially) CSS2, as well as Netscape plugins (for
example, Flash or RealVideo plugins).

It is a universal viewing application, capable of embedding read-only viewing
components in itself to view documents without ever launching another
application.

This package is part of KDE, and a component of the KDE base module. See the
'kde' and 'kdebase' packages for more information.

Homepage: http://konqueror.kde.org

RAV TUX
March 16th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Hi I'm not sure where to put this.... so I'll put it here?

Ok. I've been a long time Gentoo user and decided to try Ubuntu since everyone I know who has tried it, raves about it. Is there something similar to "emerge -s" in Ubuntu, or I guess I should say in Synaptic, that I can run from the command line? Is it something like apt-get cache or something? I know it isn't apt-get cache, but I mean something similar. I loved emerge and how robust it is.

Thanks. I attempted a quick search but it yielded nothing, and don't yell at me to Google it!

I don't know, maybe I'm a dreamer, but this is something I really miss (but I must say, for me the pros of do outweigh the cons!)

but, maybe I am wrong... and such a thing does not exist! :( If you know of anything more of what I am looking for, then that would be excellent!!!!

:)

do you mean something like:

emerge -va
localhost ravtux # emerge -va konqueror

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild U ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8 [3.3.6-r5] USE="cups gif immqt-bc ipv6 opengl postgres xinerama -debug -doc -examples -firebird -immqt -mysql -nas -nis -odbc -sqlite (-pertty%)" 17,094 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.6-r2 [3.5.5-r10] USE="acl alsa arts avahi cups jpeg2k kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility kerberos openexr spell ssl tiff xinerama zeroconf -debug -doc -fam -legacyssl -lua -utempter% (-pertty%)" LINGUAS="he" 15,187 kB [1]
[ebuild U ] kde-base/libkonq-3.5.6 [3.5.5] USE="arts kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility xinerama -debug" 23,590 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kdebase-data-3.5.6 [3.5.5] USE="kdeenablefinal xinerama -debug (-arts%*) (-kdehiddenvisibility%*)" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.6 [3.5.5-r1] USE="arts hal kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility openexr samba xinerama -debug -ldap*" 21 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/khotkeys-3.5.6 [3.5.5] USE="arts kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility xinerama -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kdesu-3.5.6 [3.5.5] USE="arts kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility xinerama -debug" 6 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/khelpcenter-3.5.6 [3.5.5] USE="arts kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility xinerama -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kcminit-3.5.6 [3.5.3] USE="arts kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility xinerama -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kfind-3.5.6 [3.5.5] USE="arts kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility xinerama -debug" 0 kB
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kicker-3.5.6-r91 [3.5.5-r92] USE="arts kdeenablefinal xinerama -beagle% -debug -xcomposite" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild U ] kde-base/kcontrol-3.5.6-r90 [3.5.5] USE="arts ieee1394 kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility logitech-mouse opengl ssl xinerama -debug" 7 kB [1]
[ebuild U ] kde-base/konqueror-3.5.6 [3.5.5] USE="arts java kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility xinerama -debug" 0 kB

Total: 13 packages (13 upgrades), Size of downloads: 55,903 kB
Portage overlays:
[1] /usr/portage/local/layman/sabayon

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

organicorange
March 17th, 2007, 03:31 AM
That "aptitude show packagename" is pretty cool! Thanks! But, is there a way where I could search the repositories through the console? Like when I do emerge -s, it searches the whole tree for me and also tells me everything in aptitude show package name. I guess what I am asking for is an "aptitude show package name + apt-cache search" function. Can I search the repository list without having to go to the ubuntu packages list via the web (or via using X11)?

My main thing is, maybe I don't want to startx and THEN an internet browser just to search for packages. I want to know if that option exists for me with ubuntu, where I can search, see if it is installed, and get a description (much like the show packagename, but one of those entries for each item that came up in the search). Oh and I don't want to navigate using lynx either.

the emerge -va thing is useful, but I am coming FROM Gentoo and am currently using Ubuntu -- but thanks for your input anyway.

If anyone knows of such a wonderful function, I'd be must grateful!!!

jpkotta
March 17th, 2007, 03:55 AM
dpkg -l <glob> where <glob> is a regular shell glob (e.g. ? = arbitrary character, * = arbitrary string) should be close to what you want. You may want to put <glob> in single quotes.

Example:

dpkg -l emacs*

yabbadabbadont
March 17th, 2007, 04:03 AM
That "aptitude show packagename" is pretty cool! Thanks! But, is there a way where I could search the repositories through the console? Like when I do emerge -s, it searches the whole tree for me and also tells me everything in aptitude show package name. I guess what I am asking for is an "aptitude show package name + apt-cache search" function. Can I search the repository list without having to go to the ubuntu packages list via the web (or via using X11)?

My main thing is, maybe I don't want to startx and THEN an internet browser just to search for packages. I want to know if that option exists for me with ubuntu, where I can search, see if it is installed, and get a description (much like the show packagename, but one of those entries for each item that came up in the search). Oh and I don't want to navigate using lynx either.

the emerge -va thing is useful, but I am coming FROM Gentoo and am currently using Ubuntu -- but thanks for your input anyway.

aptitude search <insert search pattern here>

RAV TUX
March 17th, 2007, 04:10 AM

here is an example of emerge -s

localhost-2 ravtux # emerge -s firefox

Searching...
[ Results for search key : firefox ]
[ Applications found : 2 ]

* www-client/mozilla-firefox
Latest version available: 2.0.0.2
Latest version installed: 2.0.0.2
Size of files: 42,834 kB
Homepage: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Description: Firefox Web Browser
License: MPL-1.1 GPL-2 LGPL-2.1

* www-client/mozilla-firefox-bin
Latest version available: 2.0.0.2
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 15,960 kB
Homepage: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox
Description: Firefox Web Browser
License: MPL-1.1 GPL-2 LGPL-2.1

here is a better example:

localhost-2 ravtux # emerge -s gimp

Searching...
[ Results for search key : gimp ]
[ Applications found : 7 ]

* app-doc/gimp-help
Latest version available: 0.11-r2
Size of files: 50,838 kB
Homepage: http://docs.gimp.org/
Description: GNU Image Manipulation Program help files
License: FDL-1.2

* app-doc/gimp-user-manual
Latest version available: 2.0
Size of files: 25,847 kB
Homepage: http://manual.gimp.org
Description: A user manual for GIMP
License: OPL

* dev-perl/gimp-perl
Latest version available: 2.2_pre1
Size of files: 387 kB
Homepage: http://search.cpan.org/~sjburges/Gimp/
Description: Perl extension for writing Gimp Extensions/Plug-ins/Load & Save-Handlers
License: Artistic GPL-2

* media-gfx/gimp
Latest version available: 2.3.14
Latest version installed: 2.3.14
Size of files: 15,659 kB
Homepage: http://www.gimp.org/
Description: GNU Image Manipulation Program
License: GPL-2

* media-gfx/gimp-freetype
Latest version available: 0.6
Size of files: 206 kB
Homepage: http://freetype.gimp.org/
Description: Freetype text plugin for The Gimp 2

* media-gfx/gimp-print
Latest version available: 4.2.7
Latest version installed: 4.2.7
Size of files: 5,056 kB
Homepage: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net
Description: Gimp Print Drivers

* sci-mathematics/gimps
Latest version available: 24.14-r1
Size of files: 864 kB
Homepage: http://mersenne.org/
Description: GIMPS - The Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search
License: as-is

mips
March 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Uhm people, the OP does NOT want to know about emerge.

He is using Ubuntu and want to know about and apt/aptitude search feature.

He wants to have somthing like emerge -s but for Debia/Ubuntu via apt/aptitude.

joflow
March 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM
isn't it apt-cache search package-name. I don't remember exactly and can't test it as I no longer use ubuntu or any debian based distro

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Uhm people, the OP does NOT want to know about emerge.

He is using Ubuntu and want to know about and apt/aptitude search feature.

He wants to have somthing like emerge -s but for Debia/Ubuntu via apt/aptitude.
Uhm Mips those post were to help Ubuntu users understand what the OP is talking about so they can help him. For those Ubuntu users who have not used Gentoo, clarification is always helpful.:)

scxtt
March 18th, 2007, 01:53 AM
search for a package:

(sudo) aptitude search <package name> (if it has an "i" in the leftmost column, it's installed)
more info on a package:

(sudo) aptitude show <package name>
"simulate" a package install:

(sudo) aptitude -s install <package name>