PDA

View Full Version : weird script problem

helmet
March 8th, 2007, 10:52 PM
script efficiency aside, when i run this

ps aux | grep apache | awk "/$1$/ { print\$2 } " | tr '\n' ',' | sed -r -e 's/,$/\n/g'

on the command line i get a nice list of PIDS seperated by comma's which is what i want. now when i run this

top -p `ps aux | grep apache | awk "/$1$/ { print\$2 } " | tr '\n' ',' | sed -r -e 's/,$/\n/g'`

to make top use that list of pids, it runs as if it skips the awk section of of things, and I get the original stuff with the commas replacing \n except at the end. wtf

is there something the ` ` doesn't like about the " " in the awk part of things? can somebody suggest a better way of doing this?

i just want to run a script to monitor all of apaches pids

even better, can somebody point me to something to realtime monitor a process (apache) for memory usage, processor time, etc and put it in a graph or something?

po0f
March 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM
helmet,

`pidof' returns a space-separated list of PIDs given a process name, maybe this will work better for you?

[EDIT]

Example usage:

$ pidof apache
1234 5678 9012
$

Mr. C.
March 9th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Simpler solution aside for the moment, there are a number of problems with your script.

First, what do you believe this does? :

awk "/$1$/ { print\$2 } "

And what do you believe this does: ?

echo `echo "$1"`
Compare this to your ` .... awk "/$1/" .... `

MrC

helmet
March 9th, 2007, 07:45 AM
honestly i have no clue what the awk stuff does. i'm not proficient with awk at all i just googled because I knew awk could do what i wanted, found that, and strung all those pipes together to form the command and it output what i wanted

this does what i want it to now...

top -p `pidof apache2 | tr ' ' ','`

edit: thanx po0f for the info :)

Mr. C.
March 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM
That is a much cleaner approach.

MrC