PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft trying to kill off Jpeg with HD Photo

john_spiral
March 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Hi,

I found the below article on google news:

Microsoft trying to kill off Jpeg with HD Photo (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/6949/7973/microsoft-hd-photo-format-launched.phtml)

It looks like an excellent piece of technology. Small, fast and better than JPEG!

Wikipedia's page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd_Photo) has some worrying facts about it's licensing/IP.

Looks like Linux could loose loads of potential/existing users unless it finds a legal way to read this new format.

what are your feelings?

Perfect Storm
March 8th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Well, Microsoft have tried killing many things lately without success, so I won't hold my breath.

prizrak
March 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM
It says that MS is trying to standardize it as far as I understand it format has to be free for all to be endorsed by an organization like ISO or OASIS.

karellen
March 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM
generaly speaking, competition it's good :D

insane_alien
March 8th, 2007, 07:30 PM
they can take my jpeg they can even take my gif, but they'll never take my png!

SunnyRabbiera
March 8th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Well jpeg has never been a favorite of mine, its alright but it gets too shoddy if you dont tweak it right.
But this can inspire linux and other developers to make a alternative to microsofts little pet project.

dyous87
March 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM
well they said they wanted to make it a standard, doesn't that mean it would be open or at least run in linux legally?

Quillz
March 8th, 2007, 08:33 PM
well they said they wanted to make it a standard, doesn't that mean it would be open or at least run in linux legally?
That's what I thought. I don't think Microsoft is trying to kill off anything... they are just trying to standardize yet another option, which is always great. Choice is great.

saulgoode
March 8th, 2007, 08:34 PM
This is no different than Adobe trying to push Flash as a publication format while using similar proprietary licensing terms and claims of software patents. The only way to resist such efforts is to refuse to view content in formats which arrogate your rights (and to support open alternatives). It would be hypocrisy to accept Adobe/MacroMedia's licensing while criticizing Microsoft's.

joe.turion64x2
March 8th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I would hate to have my photos DRM protected.

dyous87
March 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I would hate to have my photos DRM protected.

now that would enrage me but i doubt it will happen anytime soon. Hopefully this will just be an open standard. Thats the feeling i got from it and if so, good i don't like jpeg that much anyhow.

saulgoode
March 8th, 2007, 08:47 PM
... Hopefully this will just be an open standard. Thats the feeling i got from it and if so, good i don't like jpeg that much anyhow.

It won't be an open standard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standards) unless/until Microsoft releases any patent claims on the technology behind it. I don't get that feeling at all from this.

To quote Paul Tomblin:

I love the way Microsoft follows standards. In much the same manner that fish follow migrating caribou.

saintsel
March 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM
After reading some more articles about this new format today I get the impression that licensing won't be a problem for open source software. According to this (http://news.com.com/2100-1045_3-6153730.html) article "HD Photo technology is covered by the Open Specification Promise, an agreement under which Microsoft pledges not to assert its patent rights." No doubt about that both HD Photo and JPEG-2000 gives better image quality compared to JPEG, so the question is which one will be the real successor of JPEG, since I belive they target the same applications.

DoctorMO
March 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM
If it's DRM it's unlikely we'll ever get to read the format.

The thing to watch for is if it's put under OASIS then you can have patents on the format and claim license fees. if they put it through ISO or ECMA then they can't hold patents or restrictions.

This is a big criticism of OASIS standards is that they really arn't that open so the industry is still crippled. the whole idea of standards is to progress technology by moving the value somewhere else to improve interoperability; this way the whole industry grows and everyone gets a bigger pie to share from.

Microsoft always want the whole pie, I never expect anything else.

matchstich
March 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM
ok, i got the dohicky download. how do i install it?
thanks