PDA

View Full Version : opensuse coming up well in distrowatch

krypto_wizard
March 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I observed that opensuse is coming up well on distrowatch. I have used Suse in past but never opensuse.

I agree that Suse is good but Ubuntu is great. What feature of Opensuse is making waves or making rock on distro watch ?

Discussion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

Adamant1988
March 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
It's just a very solid RPM distribution. They're typically leading in innovation amongst other distributions, right next to (or in front of) Fedora Core. They've made some great enhancements to Gnome and KDE for their distributions.

Quillz
March 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
openSUSE 10.2 is great. Perhaps my favorite distro.

Eddie Wilson
March 8th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I've noticed that openSuse has dropped to third in the rankings. It was second. (30 Days)
I've never seen it but I've heard that it is good but with bad package management. Can you have good audio using wine in Suse. It breaks in Ubuntu 6.10 and I may be looking for a replacement.
Eddie

Anthem
March 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
In my fantasy world, OpenSuse would switch to deb/apt. In my not-so-humble opinion, it's the best-designed distro out there.

But package management is terrible, the community's not as strong, and they won't put out an official one-CD installer. So I stay with Ubuntu.

karellen
March 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM
it's a nice polished distro, but yast/zend it's slow as a packet management appilcation. I'll keep sticking with ubuntu