PDA

View Full Version : How do I compile in Eclipse?

RussianVodka
March 8th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Hi. I'm having problems compiling in Eclipse. I googled it, and found no useful information. Does anyone know how to do it?

Right now I write my code in Eclipse, and copy and paste it into BlueJ. But I would like to save me the hassle and use Eclipse to compile.

There is a "Run" button, but I don't know what to do with it. When I click it, a new Eclipse window pops up, and that's it.

Help?

shat
March 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Eclipse is really, really complicated, especially if you're used to BlueJ. Eclipse (by default, I'm pretty sure) is automagically compiling your code on-the-fly, so that's why you see all those nifty auto-complete options. IIRC, you'll have to hit "run..", choose what type of app it is (if you don't know, try something generic, java app or something I think), and you should see the results in the terminal tab at the bottom!

If you're just learning how to program, and/or writing smaller programs to learn the language, I would suggest not using an IDE for a little bit to get the hang of the command line :)

shat
March 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Also,

Poke around in Eclipse's help sections, I think they have some demos and walkthroughs!

lloyd mcclendon
March 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM
you probably have project > build automatically checked so you don't need to worry about compiling at all. every time you save eclipse does all that behind the scenes.

to run, right click your source file in the package explorer, run as > java application

.bang
February 7th, 2011, 01:08 PM
This might help you. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it.

http://www.mycoding.net/?p=124

lisati
February 7th, 2011, 10:51 PM
May this 3-year-old thread rest in peace.