PDA

View Full Version : Wow Beryl Amazing

ade234uk
March 8th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Amazed. Absolutely amazed. Thought I would give Beryl a crack again. Last time I tried installing it screwed up Ubuntu, this was about a year ago.

How things have changed. I have wobbly windows the complete lot and its running on a 64MB NVidia Graphics card and 1GB of ram. Amazing.

Match that VIsta?

prizrak
March 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
That's not amazing. I had it running on 64MB 855GM and half a gig of RAM. At about the same speed as XP at that ;)

getaboat
March 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM
It is good. Need to sift through the eye candy to see how to make it useful.

64Mb Nvidia, 2.00Ghz, 512Mb - some fun with the Nvida drivers - posting coming soon on lessons learned.

I had to get my son - who had never seen it before - to show me how to use it.

insane_alien
March 8th, 2007, 07:33 PM
i was using beryl(or compiz, i can't remember) on my laptop (64 mb integrated graphic) at uni and people were asking me where i got a pre release of vista (this was a while ago before it even went beta). it gives you a nice fuzzy feeling when you know you can do stuff that people think is impossible.

DarkN00b
March 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I've got it running nicely on Intel 855GM integrated w32megs memory & 256 megs system memory.

I upgraded Edgy from Xorg 7.1 to Xorg 7.2 the other day and it screwed up the way Beryl renders some things. Now I can't show it off n public anymore. http://img90.exs.cx/img90/2365/k1ocray.gif

shareMenaPeace
March 8th, 2007, 08:22 PM
If you mess up stuff with beryl than this is no big problem. Just have a look at my signature link to uninstall/reinstall.

Somenoob
March 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Btw who else has noticed the boost-up from the most recent beryl upgrade? it's somewhat faster on my machine.

Sefrin
March 8th, 2007, 09:48 PM
64Mb Nvidia, 2.00Ghz, 512Mb - some fun with the Nvida drivers

That's my setup as far as main specs are concerned and it works great. My only problem is ndiswrapper keeping my network connection when I use my vid card to any capacity. Otherwise, Beryl would be set as the default session.

prizrak
March 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM
It is good. Need to sift through the eye candy to see how to make it useful.

64Mb Nvidia, 2.00Ghz, 512Mb - some fun with the Nvida drivers - posting coming soon on lessons learned.

I had to get my son - who had never seen it before - to show me how to use it.

Most useful things, IMO, are window thumbnails and the alt-tab. The rest is basically eyecandy. (Unless you need some accesibility stuff like zooming).

FuturePilot
March 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Well try getting it to run on a 32MB Nvidia GeForce2 Go:-P
The only way I've got it running good on that card is with XGL. Running it on the Nvidia drivers is terribly buggy, almost to the point where the system is unusable because you never know when it's going to randomly hard lock on you. That's only with this card though. Running it from the drivers on a 128MB GeForce 6600 is much much more stable. But Beryl blows everything else out of the water.:guitar:

RAV TUX
March 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Beryl is quite nice.

pohojone
March 9th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Haven't got it working. It just flickers and then it's like nothing happened when I try to use beryl-manager.
Anyway i'm proud that free beryl can imh beat terribly over-priced vistas same kind of eyecandy.

Graduate
March 9th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Beryl will be amazing when I can run it on my box, but I'm too scare I would break it. Can't wait for it to be stable.