PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the pity and the shame of it all...

mark
May 29th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I'm currently reinstalling Windows XP on my laptop. Well, to be accurate, I've installed XP - now I'm trying to install SP2 (and, yes, I know it's 4:42AM where I am).

Why? I did something *stupid* Friday night and truly hosed the MBR. Anyway, I want to have a showroom install of Windows on something I own - and it makes a neat demo to "show off" XP and then say "Wait'll you see this" and boot into Ubuntu.

This process serves to remind me of just how clunky Windows is. After the initial install, I ran Windows Update, and it D/Ld about 14 fixes and then asked about SP2. I said "Yes" and it went through a long D/L process - and told me that SP2 was *NOT* installed and I would have to reboot. I did so, and now it seems to be getting & installing this critical update.

The Ubuntu way (well, Linux in general) is so much nicer. You install, it goes out and finds all the updated packages & installs them. Why would you NOT want to install the latest patch package??? (I'm talking mainstream here, not "bleeding edge" kernel versions, etc.)

aysiu
May 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM
To play devil's advocate, I've done those Microsoft patches for XP before, and some of them I don't really care for. Sure, the system-critical patches are necessary, but some of the application-specific ones are not security patches, and they're not applications I use.

By the way, is there a problem you need solving, or was this just a 5:00 AM rant?

mark
May 29th, 2005, 06:46 PM
To play devil's advocate, I've done those Microsoft patches for XP before, and some of them I don't really care for. Sure, the system-critical patches are necessary, but some of the application-specific ones are not security patches, and they're not applications I use.

By the way, is there a problem you need solving, or was this just a 5:00 AM rant?
The latter...

benplaut
May 29th, 2005, 07:59 PM
The latter...

remember children, always use your <rant>rant tags</rant> :roll: