PDA

View Full Version : my morning on the phone to microsoft

STREETURCHINE
March 8th, 2007, 03:29 AM
last night i turned on my windows computer to listen to some music,and watch a movie,(yes all my music and movies are still on my windows machine).
i will get around to transfering them i promise.

any way the media player decided it was time to update it self,ok i thought thats fine the latest version should be good.
alas after the update i opened my media player,it asked me to validate my copy of windows,my installation is already a validated version.
but i pushed the validate button but no go it wont validate,(rather peeved about here)

so i ring microsoft this morning to see what is going on,
they ask me to type in .www.microsoft.com/genuine into the address bar ,
well firefox would not load as it was not configured to run the test,
so i have to go to start>run and type in iexplorer.

so we go through it all again,but ie freezes half way through loading the test,
so we go over and over this proccess with the same result.

they decide it is my firewall that is causing the problem,turned it off,
same result,ie freezes when i hit the validate windows button.

then they decide to turn everything of so in the start>run i type msconfig,
and shut every tihng down so that no outher program can interfere.

still wont run the test,

so now i ask why do i need to validate my windows any way isnt it already validated
,,,answer yes.
so why cant i use mediaplayer11,,,,ummm dont know we are trying to work that out

they say they are going to ring me back and provide a solution,

three hours on the phone no result,i have to uninstall media player and reinstall to an old version,

i suppose i will just have to spend a week or so and load all my music into this computer which is running dapper6.06

that is my morning with microsoft

i may as well just gone to the paddock and kicked the bull in the testicales,would have got a better response......:lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
March 8th, 2007, 03:41 AM
arent you glad you use linux on the side?
you know this stuff is only going to get worse now...

STREETURCHINE
March 8th, 2007, 03:56 AM
the only real reason i keep windows around is the 600gig of music and movies i hav on that computer,and i realy didnt want to reload it all once i put linux on it ,but for the media stuff i would have put edgy on it ages ago..

taurus
March 8th, 2007, 04:22 AM
kicked the bull in the testicales,would have got a better response......:lolflag:

The bull, Taurus, will kick back!!! :twisted:

STREETURCHINE
March 8th, 2007, 04:40 AM
at least it is a response,,,,,,

amgeex
March 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM
You know how ironic is this? I use a pirated version of windows xp professonal, coroporate edition mind you, and I can use wmp11, I get all of the updates, and it passes the wga verification. This just shows that the protection on windows systems is just pure bs, it doesn't work. Even vista has been cracked like two days ago by PANTHEON. I mean, people that pay are being bitchslapped in the face! Its just hilarious!

some_random_noob
March 8th, 2007, 05:06 AM
You know how ironic is this? I use a pirated version of windows xp professonal, coroporate edition mind you, and I can use wmp11, I get all of the updates, and it passes the wga verification. This just shows that the protection on windows systems is just pure bs, it doesn't work. Even vista has been cracked like two days ago by PANTHEON. I mean, people that pay are being bitchslapped in the face! Its just hilarious!
I know its great! But you shouldn't be bragging about pirating, I mean, some guy pirating XP PRO in Guatemala who comes to a Linux forum to brag about it? You're almost giving us a bad name! ... but M$ has enough money. Good on you :popcorn: I encourage it, having been screwed over myself.

Anthem
March 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Instead of Windows Media Player, use the open-source Media Player Classic. It's superior in every way.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

kevinf311
March 8th, 2007, 06:43 AM
My version of XP pro is the timer for when I go to full Linux. It seems to self-destruct itself every once in a while. So, the next time XP becomes unusable, that partition will be changed to a Feisty partition.

To the OP: Could you not use an app to read/write ntfs filesystems in your Ubuntu install and have the 600GB of media be hooked up as a slave drive? If you're not adding to the huge (huge!) cache of movies/music you have, you may not even have to install anything extra.

STREETURCHINE
March 8th, 2007, 06:45 AM
i shall give it a try,,thanks

STREETURCHINE
March 8th, 2007, 06:51 AM
My version of XP pro is the timer for when I go to full Linux. It seems to self-destruct itself every once in a while. So, the next time XP becomes unusable, that partition will be changed to a Feisty partition.

To the OP: Could you not use an app to read/write ntfs filesystems in your Ubuntu install and have the 600GB of media be hooked up as a slave drive? If you're not adding to the huge (huge!) cache of movies/music you have, you may not even have to install anything extra.

being differant computers i tried the samba ,and could not get it to work i have tried to get them to network but alas i am totally useless at following written instructions,
unless it is blow by blow instructions.so i have given up worrying about it,

and i am having trouble finding a media player that will play all the movies i have in linux,they all seem to play some but not outhers.......

cowlip
March 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Have you tried changing /etc/samba/smb.conf to these settings?

security = share
encrypt passwords = no

And turn "simple file sharing" on in the Windows XP installation, under Folder Properties.

I know it's frustrating, Ubuntu definitely has to improve in this area. You say you have a fireweall so that could be blocking SMB ports as well, can any other (windows) computers on your network connect to your XP smb shares?

STREETURCHINE
March 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM
thanks for the reply and the interest but i am going to boot windows out shortly'i am loading everything onto a couple of usb harddrives and then i will get rid of windows
and the end of all my frustration

BuffaloX
March 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Morale:
Even if you have a legal Windows license, it's better to use a cracked version.

This is legal in Denmark and probably many other countries, because it's legal to modify (crack) a program, in order to make it work, provided you have a valid license of course.

I wish Microsoft would make a working copy protection, and disable all cracked versions.
This way we would see how much people really wants Windows.
Instead of using it just because they can get it for free.