PDA

View Full Version : are you going to adopt the DX10 gen of games?

billdotson
March 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM
After hearing that I can max out Crysis @ a res of 1280x1024 with my current 7800GT videocard I have decided that I will probaby not be upgrading to a Direct3D10 capable videocard for the "next-gen" era of PC gaming.

The games that I have been looking forward to are as follows:

STALKER
Crysis
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Supreme Commander
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
HL2: Ep2, Ep3

Games like Assassin's Creed, Alan Wake, UT3 (even though it would be better on PC) I can easily rent for the X360. All those games will be able to run on DX9 and I am assumng that I will be able to max all of them out.. although I am not sure about Brothers in Arms. Although I might not even get the new HL2 Episodes.. it has been so long and I just have lost interest and I do not think that the new episodes will really have that much to offer.. just a scenery change.

What are you going to do.. accept the new DX10/Vista era or just bite the bullet and stop PC games.

BTW I know it would be hard to do but why can't PC games be rented?? There are many PC games that I would like to play but have simply not wanted to spend $50 for them.

Also, do you know if Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway will be a DX10 only?? (I doubt it because not everyone will have upgraded to Vista let alone a DX10 videocard)

SunnyRabbiera
March 7th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I rather just ignore computer games, its become redundant...
honestly if people come to linux looking for the latest and greatest games they are better off dual booting no matter how much vista sucks.

DrainBead
March 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
DX10 is not the reason i upgraded from XP to Vista for, i don't have DX10 capable hardware anyway.

If there will be any DX10 games played in this household it will be on the console.

Brunellus
March 8th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I won't. I can't afford the hardware, and none of them appeal to me.

Give me Civ 4, but without the high-end graphics, and put it on the DS. Done.

DrainBead
March 8th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I won't. I can't afford the hardware, and none of them appeal to me.

Give me Civ 4, but without the high-end graphics, and put it on the DS. Done.

That expensive HW just for games is a joke to me and in a couple of years (or less) it's grossly outdated anyway.

I played Deus Ex and it was a helluva game, i had lots of fun playing that so when Deus Ex 2 came out and my HW couldn't run it i went out and bought myself a new video card, it took five minutes of gameplay to shut it down and uninstall that crap.

The graphics was much improved but the game was not 1/10'th as fun to play as the first version.

A ****** game with high end graphics is still a ****** game.

(I'm waiting for Duke Nukem forever, i hear it will be OGL only and released around the same time as XSOS V3.0)

billdotson
March 8th, 2007, 04:08 AM
all these fancy new games with fancy high-end graphics are not worth the ridiculous hardware upgrades. I have the following system specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Corsair PC6400C4 XMS2 DDR2 800MHz RAM
nVidia 7800GT 256MB PCI Express x16
Asus P5B Deluxe/Wi-Fi AP motherboard
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4

and I am going to have to upgrade my videocard to run Crysis on high DX9 settings (as some tell me.. I think it is bogus though)

refer to this thread on gamespot.com and see the outrageous responses I got when I said that hardware upgrades weren't worth the cost to keep playing PC games. Granted it is a videogame community site some of the responses were kind of fanatical.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25430789&msg_id=285136152#1

the attitudes of many of the people on there seem to be so juvenile (given some of them are quite possibly 14-15 year olds with $50 allowances to spend on such things) and seem to back up my point that PC gaming while it can be fun is not worth the ridiculous amounts of money invested into it.

Polygon
March 8th, 2007, 04:59 AM
honestly, im a huge gamer, and my 4+ old computer can still run them all fine. The only thing i have upgraded in the time since i built my computer was adding another 512mb memory stick.

my specs:

amd athlon xp 3000+
ati radeon 9800 128mb
1gig ram
asus a7n8x-x motherboard
creative soundblaster live! 24 bit

and the only games that i cant play at least decently are the ones that use unreal engine 3 (since it requires pixel shader version 2.0b, and i can only run 2.0a.... shucks)

i can play FEAR, half life 2, battlefield 2, half life 2 episode one with HDR, guild wars, etc etc, and they dont look like crap. on most games (except bf2 casue that game sucks and is a resource hog) i run on medium and high settings, and i get around 30 fps.

i really hate how these upcoming games like crysis are just purposely pushing the limit way way way too far on what the game requirements should be. Its like they are basically just adding redundant features like getting rid of the 3d skybox and just using volumetric clouds to make it sound cool, but make the HW requirements way too high.

ll take the games that are still really fun to play, but dont require nothing short of a supercomputer to run (half life 2 and the source engine are really realy really good about this, you can run games like hl2 with a pretty crappy computer and it will still run)

and btw, duke nukem forever, currently is rumored to be using unreal engine 3.... so if it ever does come out it will have an OpenGL port.

Sefrin
March 8th, 2007, 05:12 AM
New PC hardware just for games? I can't do it. Too many other priorities so I will squeeze out all the life I can out of my current PC.

If I have a lot of time on my hands I'll go play Baldur's Gate I and II. That should keep me busy. I forget most of the details by now so playing through it should be good times.

billdotson
March 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
yeah things like volumetric clouds are kind of a waste. They are more of a technological achievement than a useful feature in a game. Although I'd say if you maxed Crysis out in DX9 mode, which I think I can do with my system specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Corsair PC6400C4 XMS2 DDR2 800MHz RAM in dual channel
nVidia 7800 GT 256MB PCI Express x16
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Non-pro

hopefully... what are your thoughts

prizrak
March 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I'm mostly gaming on the Wii these days and Wormux under Ubuntu so I don't think I will notice DX10 ;)

graabein
March 8th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I am getting new hardware for Age of Conan (http://www.ageofconan.com/conan/en/index.html) but I'll stick to my dual boot of XP (some sweet day I'll erase that partition) and I won't touch Vista with a stick. Conan still runs on dx9.

A wet dream of mine is running an stripped down Windows XP image virtually and not having to reboot to play games. When the image gets tainted I'll just fall back to the clean one. I don't follow the technology news so I don't know if it's gonna be a reality any time soon...

I'll be getting dual core and a nasty gfx card with maybe a new hd and another GB of RAM after the summer but I won't install Vista to get dx10.