PDA

View Full Version : A good distro, recomendations

Foudre
March 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I like ubuntu, and kubuntu better. Since it broke me, i figured i'm going to half to reinstall it or find a new distro for a while. Since the only way to fix it won't let me, stupid nano. And i get bored using the same thing for so long, any one have a good recomendation for a non ubuntu distro, suse used to be good might check out their latest version, but i want to try something new, maybe xanadros or gentoo. so what recomendations do you all have? Though i am a big fan of aptitude.

Iarwain ben-adar
March 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Try Sidux :D (debian based)

I'm fiddling with it aswell,
Or you might try Sabayon Linux (gentoo based)

Iarwain

MkfIbK7a
March 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM
or you could try basic debian

or debian unstable
or debian etch

Foudre
March 7th, 2007, 10:24 PM
hey kakashi penguin

any ways i think i'm going for a huge leap here, and just plaing going for edgy since its had some updates since i last tried it. I wanted to try suse but i would have to torrent it, and campus won't let me torrent stuff

ixus_123
March 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Slackware is great - add in Dropline Gnome (if it's still being done).

I've just started using Damn Small Linux - that's pretty swish too - I can't believe how fast teh email client opens

BarfBag
March 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
SUSE is a decent option. Their KDE desktop is polished and "debloated." They also have a Gnome option, which is even more polished then Ubuntu. YaST is reason enough to try it out. It's the best control center out there.

I've grown attached to Arch. It's fast and stable, but still has up-to-date packages. Pacman is so much better then apt (and apt is amazing).

Foudre
March 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM
well i used to use suse, 9.3 was good so was 10.0 then came 10.1 that messed everything up, would try 10.2 but i can't get it without torrenting it, i could i guess if i went searching agian, i used to know the ftp for Novelle's open suse project folder, not like i'd remember the password even if i found it again, can't remember how i got the password to begin with either

DrainBead
March 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM
well i used to use suse, 9.3 was good so was 10.0 then came 10.1 that messed everything up, would try 10.2 but i can't get it without torrenting it, i could i guess if i went searching agian, i used to know the ftp for Novelle's open suse project folder, not like i'd remember the password even if i found it again, can't remember how i got the password to begin with either

The OpenSuse 10.2 DVD is available for direct download here. (http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/iso/dvd/openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso)

For a description of the installation alternatives along with download links go here. (http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version)

OpenSuSE is an excellent distro.

Graduate
March 8th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Seems like Zenwalk is creating a big fan base. Other than that, Sabayon or Vlos if you want to install gentoo based distros.

SunnyRabbiera
March 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM
SUSE is a decent option. Their KDE desktop is polished and "debloated." They also have a Gnome option, which is even more polished then Ubuntu. YaST is reason enough to try it out. It's the best control center out there.

I've grown attached to Arch. It's fast and stable, but still has up-to-date packages. Pacman is so much better then apt (and apt is amazing).

Yast?
Yuck, I rather use command line.
You might want to take PClinux out for a spin, PClinux uses synaptic and has a nice KDE interface, its pretty good for a rpm based distro

jjalocha
March 8th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I would definitely try out Elive. It's a Debian distro built around the amazing Enlightenment window manager.

watson540
March 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM
You sound noobish, I would suggest staying with ubuntu anf learning how to fix your problems with it. All these distro's ARE linux. Most ones differ in the tools they use, but the kernel stays the same, kde stays the same ..etc. So in any case, no matter what you run it's still gonna be linux. See what i mean?? If you want suse then go download a suse theme..all the suse, and none of the yast crap. Stay with ubuntu as it has broad support, and you will learn just by day to day use of setting things up and junk. Ive tried em all, and I like ubuntu the best, not cause it's the fad or the 'cool' distro, but because it just plain...works..If anything stick with a debian base

DrainBead
March 8th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Yast?
Yuck, I rather use command line.
You might want to take PClinux out for a spin, PClinux uses synaptic and has a nice KDE interface, its pretty good for a rpm based distro

Yast is a great package manager, tell me specifically what you have against it, i bet you can't.

And it is commandline, shell or gui, whatever you'd like, it's simple, it's fairly fast, it does everything Synaptic does.

If you REALLY don't like it, use SMART, i think everyone should learn SMART, it's available on Ubuntu, Debian, FC, SuSE, Slackware and most other distros (ALL other distros that are not source based since it handles every format including raw meta-data) if you look for it, it handles RPM's, deb's and TGZ's, it handles dependencies and it handles local install directories, it's available as command line, shell, gui in GTK and finally in QT too.

RPM or DEB or TGZ, only one who knows absolutely nothing about Linux would complain about the format the packages come in, so to say "for an RPM based distro" is ignorant as it means you have no idea about how packaging in Linux works.

Of the three RPM is probably the best as it provides the most metadata but it doesn't matter much anymore as ALL package managers have a way to deal with dependencies through other means.

SunnyRabbiera
March 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Yast is a great package manager, tell me specifically what you have against it, i bet you can't.

And it is commandline, shell or gui, whatever you'd like, it's simple, it's fairly fast, it does everything Synaptic does.

If you REALLY don't like it, use SMART, i think everyone should learn SMART, it's available on Ubuntu, Debian, FC, SuSE, Slackware and most other distros (ALL other distros that are not source based since it handles every format including raw meta-data) if you look for it, it handles RPM's, deb's and TGZ's, it handles dependencies and it handles local install directories, it's available as command line, shell, gui in GTK and finally in QT too.

RPM or DEB or TGZ, only one who knows absolutely nothing about Linux would complain about the format the packages come in, so to say "for an RPM based distro" is ignorant as it means you have no idea about how packaging in Linux works.

Of the three RPM is probably the best as it provides the most metadata but it doesn't matter much anymore as ALL package managers have a way to deal with dependencies through other means.

Its all on personal preference, I really hated Yast when I used to use Suse, its dependancy resolver was crap... Yast never did it for me, Synaptic runs circles around Yast in my personal opinion.
I have used many distros on my quest to go onto linux, debain based distros for me are better stuctured then RPM, I have experineced many cases of dependancy hell on fedora, mandriva and suse, none of those said distros had no real solutions to the dependancy hell.
Debain based systems in my opinion are better then any RPM ones I have bumped into, PClinux is the exception as even though it doesnt have a vast pool like debian or ubuntu I find resolving things easier on it as I could just generate a native package for PClinux thanks to alien, heck I wasnt even able to make alien work in mandriva or suse, even when I had everything right alien in them blew chunks.

DrainBead
March 8th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Its all on personal preference, I really hated Yast when I used to use Suse, its dependancy resolver was crap... Yast never did it for me, Synaptic runs circles around Yast in my personal opinion.
I have used many distros on my quest to go onto linux, debain based distros for me are better stuctured then RPM, I have experineced many cases of dependancy hell on fedora, mandriva and suse, none of those said distros had no real solutions to the dependancy hell.
Debain based systems in my opinion are better then any RPM ones I have bumped into, PClinux is the exception as even though it doesnt have a vast pool like debian or ubuntu I find resolving things easier on it as I could just generate a native package for PClinux thanks to alien, heck I wasnt even able to make alien work in mandriva or suse, even when I had everything right alien in them blew chunks.

"it's dependency resolver"?

In the last five years yast has not had a dependency problem reported, NOT ONE.

You mentioned RPM dependancy (sic) hell which pretty much means you are completely clueless.

How about deb dependency hell? No? Well why not, back in the days when RPM dependency hell was an issue deb dependency hell was an issue too.

My best bet is that you have never used an RPM based distro, you read some crap about it and now you are spreading FUD.

As for checkinstall, alien and such, sure, if you REALLY have to have it and you can't find it in ANY of the 126 repos available just at download.opensuse.org and not by searching for any other repo then i guess you'll have to do that.

But in reality, just like with Debian and Ubuntu, you really don't, there is a repo for pretty much anything.

SunnyRabbiera
March 8th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I have always had dependancy problems in RPM based distros and not one single problem in debian or ubuntu, sure sometimes I had to go and download or delete something to make a package to work but the issue was normally fixed in a few minutes.
Dont treat me like I am uneducated, I have used many distros along my way and RPM based distros for me were generally crap.
And yes mind you this is after I learned more about linux, I looked through every guide and book that would aid me on my way and made sure i got things down.
as i said I am not some newbie here, I have been on linux for about two years now and in truth I know more more about linux then I do about any other OS and this includes windows.
Ubuntu and simular distros really broke me in, and honestly i dont think Mandriva or suse are good distros.
I am not here for an arguement, I am stating my own personal experiences with RPM based distros... if you dont like what i say then just ignore my posts... simple.

Polygon
March 8th, 2007, 05:05 AM
anyways...

back on topic, sabayon linux looks good, also SUSE and arch look pretty nifty.

Graduate
March 8th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I've heard that Sabayon is a great hardware recognition distro, don't know how much validity that statement has, though.

watson540
March 8th, 2007, 06:33 AM
if ubuntu didnt exist i would probably run suse. mind you i gae up on the new distro every week game years ago, but mandrive is too noob geard. i liked suse last time i used it, although i must echo the other guy, i just dont like using rpm. i like apt. no particular reason other than apt is what i've always known.

Foudre
March 8th, 2007, 06:43 AM
You sound noobish, I would suggest staying with ubuntu anf learning how to fix your problems with it. All these distro's ARE linux. Most ones differ in the tools they use, but the kernel stays the same, kde stays the same ..etc. So in any case, no matter what you run it's still gonna be linux. See what i mean?? If you want suse then go download a suse theme..all the suse, and none of the yast crap. Stay with ubuntu as it has broad support, and you will learn just by day to day use of setting things up and junk. Ive tried em all, and I like ubuntu the best, not cause it's the fad or the 'cool' distro, but because it just plain...works..If anything stick with a debian base

ya ya go molest yourself

i'm just using this as an excuse to try something new, see whats out there, and to fix my problem would take longer then a new install, i know whats wrong, and i know i would jsut have to edit the fstab thru a live cd / test it see if i got it right from memory, repeat till it worked, not like i would take to long from command line if nano would do what i told it to even with sudo, i'm just don't want to waste 10 minutes for a live cd to boot, then manually mount the drive / create mount point. damn you tard just go molest yourself

Foudre
March 8th, 2007, 06:49 AM
might try suse, not sure i have 5 blank cds laying around though