PDA

View Full Version : The Beginner Team has started

Pages : [1] 2 3

bodhi.zazen
March 7th, 2007, 03:47 PM
The Beginner Team (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=215) has started :p

The goals of the Beginner Team is to assist new users to :

Evaluate Ubuntu to see if it will fit their needs.
Obtain and boot Ubuntu.
Install Ubuntu.
Transition into Ubuntu.
Become members of the Ubuntu community.

t

New users :

First, welcome to Ubuntu.

The Beginner Team is here to guide you, help you become familiar with a your new OS and the Ubuntu community.

Specific support questions are best directed to the Absolute Beginner Talk , General Help, or specific Main Support Categories. Within those forums you will receive assistance not only from the Beginners Team, but the Ubuntu Community as a whole.

If you have questions on how to use the Ubuntu forums, your user profile, PM, how to find the information you need quickly, how to become involved, etc feel free to post them in our sub-forum. Beginner Team (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=215)

If you are interested in helping with the Beginner Team, please feel free to share you ideas with us on our sub-forum Beginner Team (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=215). If you are interested in joining the Beginners team it would be most helpful for you to start by becoming active on Absolute Beginner Talk (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73).

Joining the team :

Well, to some extent, if you are active on the forums you are a part of the team. You are welcome to send me a join request, but please include as much specific information as possible with your request.

To those who have submitted a join request, please be patient. The Beginners Team is just starting and there is a strong general interest from within the Ubuntu community. It is my intent to build a knowledgeable and stable team. I anticipate the team will be both large and diverse, but it will take time to coordinate and develop.

~ Comments welcome ~

Peace be with you,

bodhi.zazen ~ Beginner Team Leader

Sbarton
March 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Good Luck with this worthy project. I am sure it will be most helpful to new users and others.
regards

chebert
March 7th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I just downloaded Ubuntu last week. I need to get to servers that recongnize only Internet Explorer. I tried to download wine from their web site but their first instruction is to open a terminal window. How do I open a terminal window, what is a terminal window. Also, do you just copy and paste their codes into the "terminal window"?
chebert:confused: http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Roger_Melly
March 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Wow Hello and thanks,
I am a keen home user who is trying to to get to grips with stuff. I'm finding just getting my head around simple things like downloading, where do files go, how to you then activate the file/application.
One problem with the forum I think a lot of total noobs like me find is that there are lots of different levels of knowledge out there and a great variety of ways to fix things!
It's strange that part of me wants the simplicity of click and install Windows stuff and the other wants to get involved in the whole terminal thing.

A good place to start would be installing a 2nd Gen iPod Nano. That would keep my wife happy and show her how good Ubuntu is! I think I've just about done it but it was very long winded and I haven't a clue what I did?!?:)

bks
March 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Great idea! I'm greener than a sea sick lepricon when it comes to Linux, so I will take advantage of the help. Thanks!

ubuntu27
March 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I just downloaded Ubuntu last week. I need to get to servers that recongnize only Internet Explorer. I tried to download wine from their web site but their first instruction is to open a terminal window. How do I open a terminal window, what is a terminal window. Also, do you just copy and paste their codes into the "terminal window"?

Internet Explorers for Linux:
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Wine:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

You should open a new thread with a title of your problem by the way :)

Sklasko
March 7th, 2007, 07:32 PM
This is a great idea! Just what we need for the community, more beginner help :KS

Good luck!

steve.horsley
March 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM

There is a plugin for Firefox called User Agent Switcher that lets you choose which browser it tells the web sites they are talking to. It won't help with malformed HTML or ActiveX, but it will help with a lot of sites that check for IE and then refusse to talk to you. In FF, go Tools->Add-ons and then get extensions (bottom right).

To open a terminal, it's under Accessories->Terminal. Yes, you can copy/paste the commands which is much more reliable than re-typing them.

Welcome to Ubuntu everybody.

univremonster
March 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have spent about 10 hours a day for the past 3 days on Absolute Beginner Talk finding people who have had my same goals and frustrations so that I can fix things up. The community for Ubuntu is amazing, especially for a n00b with a 64-bit processor trying to (among other trials and tribulations) communicate with a Lexmark printer... ouch!

igknighted
March 8th, 2007, 01:22 AM
We (the beginner team) are starting a "beginner guide" wiki and would like input from all users (especially beginners) about what would be most helpful to new users. Please visit our sub-forum here (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=215) and post suggestions.

Darko Beta
March 8th, 2007, 03:14 AM
This is a great idea! I am glad you all have chosen to make this a specific goal, though I am sure you have already been helping us beginners a great deal already.

bwallum
March 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Great, thats me, a New Beginner! 5 days in so far, lots of things running, lots not running. I would like to contribute to a 'Getting Started' Manual with lots of how do's. E.g.

How do I load a Shuttle iPod?
How do I watch the BBC News stream?
How do I 'Skype' ?

AND... all to be done without a command line! (Yes, I know you Linux/Unix command line folks are very clever but you can't keep Ubuntu to just yourselves you know. It's too good for a niche market! Let the grey hairs have it too! We are a growing market!)

Kind Regards
Bob

bodhi.zazen
March 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM
... AND... all to be done without a command line! (Yes, I know you Linux/Unix command line folks are very clever but you can't keep Ubuntu to just yourselves you know. It's too good for a niche market! Let the grey hairs have it too! We are a growing market!)

Kind Regards
Bob

LOL , welcome bwallum ! :lolflag:

This is a common sentiment as you start Linux. For better (IMO) or worse, the CLI is here to stay.

There is good reason from this and I think you will find that it is better in the long run to accept the CLI and learn how to use it.

Although I am sure you will find most experienced and satisfied users make heavy use of the CLI, although I am also certain there is a minority of long time users who avoid the CLI at all costs.

Learning the CLI, however, well take some time and is part of the transition process. This is an issue that is high on my priority list and I anticipate most, if not all how-to's will include a CLI solution. Why ? Because gui tools have limits and change over time.

To get you started, find your terminal in your menu. Drag it to the top (or bottom) panel. Now you can open a terminal fast.

Second, customize the terminal. You can change the color or transparency. Look the the menu otpions :) .

Third, start here : http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/CommandLineBeginners

Spend 5-10 minutes (daily, weekly ?) working through that document until you are comfortable the CLI.

One further tip : you can cut and paste commands from firefox to the terminal :twisted:

If you have questions, post in the Beginners Team sub forum. I am sure "how to use the *&^% terminal" would be a popular thread and very helpful.

HTH

benfindlay
March 8th, 2007, 09:08 PM
definitely would be interested in helping out anyway I can! Sent you an email bodhi, with a bit of info about myself and my "ubuntu experience" ;)

Dan Kay
March 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM
This is the place! This forum is truly unlike no other. Great success Beginner Team! (some of us nOOBs really need you.:)

teaker1s
March 9th, 2007, 12:19 PM
as part of the unanswered questions team, I think this is a great Idea-If it is possible to join more than one team I'd also join this one.

One of the things that can be improved is we have lots of documentation, but in various places=fragmented.

I feel a section about finding these sources, would both cut down on new users fustration and also allow more time to deal with questions that require more intervention.
As currently the sticky on forum either doesn't contain enough information or people don't bother reading it?

eg. my wireless doesn't work
we could explain that this is linux and some hardware needs a driver/ndiswrapper and point to wilki or ubuntu doc's.

Sef
March 9th, 2007, 12:30 PM
This Beginner Team is a great idea.

bwallum
March 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I'm a noob! I'm a noob! Where's the forum??

igknighted
March 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM
See the link in my sig or my above post.

beuno
March 9th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I've just been approved, and wanted to send a quick hi! to everyone.

bwallum
March 10th, 2007, 12:13 PM
How stable is Fiesty? I'm getting lots of probs with Flash in Edgy. No fun so might as well move on to Fiesty if not too difficult.

Rgds, Bob

teaker1s
March 10th, 2007, 12:22 PM
if your only experiencing flash issue-I'd NOT upgrade to feisty yet as you will possibly have far worse breakage.

bwallum
March 10th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I'd like to help. There are many setbacks to new users. Ubuntu is a rich 'pick n mix' OS and it is very easy to pick sour chews and marshmallows which definately do not mix. We should identify what most users want, I suspect they want the web to work as number 1. That means all the plugins have to be right and clearly identified. (Flash is currently giving me problems and I have no idea what is on my system and what is not). We need to get people up and running with a default that ensures the web at least works for them. Just offering new users a choice when they have no way of knowing which is the best choice is a cop out. We have to get new users running and fully understanding what they have (and how they can return to it if things go wrong). Just a thought....Bob

teaker1s
March 10th, 2007, 12:24 PM
gnome add/remove the most basic way. If you fancy a little more info about things:- terminal

gksudo synaptic

bwallum
March 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks, will try it out. (I'm currently on my XP machine so can't do it just now). That was some lightning response!

Rgds, Bob

teaker1s
March 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
with synaptic I would suggest
settings>preferences>general
select
show packages properties in main window

makes finding what and where something is installed, much easier

bwallum
March 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a go. You're a great help.

Shadowfax13
March 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Just starting Ubuntu myself but still using the Live CD. I run a home built <3 years ago> machine with W2K, do a lot of ******* repairs and have been looking @ Linux for a little while now. Finding the Live CD's of Ubuntu and Puppy have been a godsend and as soon as I can get a larger HDD I plan on a dual/multi-boot setup with a FAT partition to continue my tech work and learn Linux. Have given several friends Live CD versions hoping to gain some local learning curve issues support and if it promotes Linux, kewl. Thx for a great forum and as things get going I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.

teaker1s
March 11th, 2007, 12:18 AM
:KS :popcorn:

jagannath
March 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Wow Hello and thanks,
I am a keen home user who is trying to to get to grips with stuff. I'm finding just getting my head around simple things like downloading, where do files go, how to you then activate the file/application.
One problem with the forum I think a lot of total noobs like me find is that there are lots of different levels of knowledge out there and a great variety of ways to fix things!
It's strange that part of me wants the simplicity of click and install Windows stuff and the other wants to get involved in the whole terminal thing.

Couldn't agree with you more. Exactly identical thoughts.
I, especially lked your "It's strange that part of me wants the simplicity of click and install Windows stuff and the other wants to get involved in the whole terminal thing." Very beautifully put.

I am sure the beginner's team would be a great help.

J

jagannath
March 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
. There are many setbacks to new users. Ubuntu is a rich 'pick n mix' OS and it is very easy to pick sour chews and marshmallows which definately do not mix.

A list of proven compatible devices like webcams, network cards, etc. would also be helpful.

J

pesach
March 12th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Here is my ubuntu sob story:
I finished building my first computer last september. Not wanting to spend $200 (or whatever) on windows, I decidd to use ubuntu. I downloaded the cd, put it in, and,,,nothing. I posted a question, and qiuckly got the BURN THE .ISO IMAGE response ( proves what a noob i am). I burned another cd, and this time, I got ubuntu to start up. The only problem was, that after I installed ubuntu and restarted the computer, Ubuntu wouldnot load. I would have to boot from the live cd everytime I turned on the computer. POstedmany questions, and got many responses, none of wich helped. Soem where around this time, my power supply blew ( I was using th eone that came with the case) and shorted my mainboard. I gave up on the computer for a couple months.
When I baught a new mainboard, I tried installing ubuntu again. This time, it worked. I was able to resart the compuetr as many times as I wanted, and Ubunytu would still be there. The problems, however started form the first day. I tried playing a dvd, and it didnt work. I searched the forums, and it seemed others had the same problem as I , but there didint seem to be any real solution. Then, another problem arose. My computer had no sound. I searched this too, and again otehrs had the same problem. There were however, hundreds of solutions, whole websites dedicated to solving this problem. For some reason however, after spending countless nights trying to hear something, no sound would exit my speakers. I tried reloading the sound driver, but wonder of wonders, it was only compatible with windows.
I then tried to install a wireless usb adapter. And who would have thoguht, but it was also only compatible with windows. I was then soundless, movieless, and internetless
Well I could get internet, but only with snaking about 150 ft of wire around my house. Sick of not bein gable to do anyhting, I searched for a copy of windows. One of my freinds was nice enough to give me a copy of windows taht he baught. I installed the drivers, and everything worked. Sound, the dvd, and the wireless adapter. Not wanting to ditch ubuntu entirelly, I decided to daul-boot.
Ubuntu may be bugless, but is it really worth all that trouble?
I am not really sure if this is the correct place to post this, but the first post said that this is were noobs can discuss the problems they foud with ubuntu.

bwallum
March 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
A good post and I would guess typical of the way Ubuntu can put people off. I have managed to get Ubuntu up and running but it has taken a couple of weeks and there are still problems doing it the Ubuntu way.

I do support it however as if offers a future free from monopoly (and exploitation) of personal computing. If you ever doubt that this is a paranoid perspective have a look at your index.dat file. It has logged every single site you have been to on the Internet, it has tracked all you logins info, including your bank account details if you do that stuff online. Now that index.dat has become known MS are moving on to real time monitoring stored on their servers.

If you want help getting Ubuntu running (and it is worth it for performance considerations alone) I would be delighted to assist. you will need a little patience. Not too much, I am in the process of getting an elderly lady to make the switch who just loves the ethos and the way it looks (not all users are techies!)

Kind Regards
Bob

texoma8
March 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I feel your pain, all this you say has happened to me. I even asked a friend of mine to have his son show me about linux; he sat down at my computer went through a crash course like lightning fast and although most of my issues were solved I didn't learn a thing. As he left I said you sure type fast and thanks.
I think this forum is really going to help us who need things explained in slow motion.

Alfredo_973
March 13th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Here is my ubuntu sob story:
I finished building my first computer last september. Not wanting to spend $200 (or whatever) on windows, I decidd to use ubuntu. I downloaded the cd, put it in, and,,,nothing. I posted a question, and qiuckly got the BURN THE .ISO IMAGE response ( proves what a noob i am). I burned another cd, and this time, I got ubuntu to start up. The only problem was, that after I installed ubuntu and restarted the computer, Ubuntu wouldnot load. I would have to boot from the live cd everytime I turned on the computer. POstedmany questions, and got many responses, none of wich helped. Soem where around this time, my power supply blew ( I was using th eone that came with the case) and shorted my mainboard. I gave up on the computer for a couple months.
When I baught a new mainboard, I tried installing ubuntu again. This time, it worked. I was able to resart the compuetr as many times as I wanted, and Ubunytu would still be there. The problems, however started form the first day. I tried playing a dvd, and it didnt work. I searched the forums, and it seemed others had the same problem as I , but there didint seem to be any real solution. Then, another problem arose. My computer had no sound. I

searched this too, and again otehrs had the same problem. There were however, hundreds of solutions, whole websites dedicated to solving this problem. For some reason however, after spending countless nights trying to hear something, no sound would exit my speakers. I tried reloading the sound driver, but wonder of wonders, it was only compatible with windows.
I then tried to install a wireless usb adapter. And who would have thoguht, but it was also only compatible with windows. I was then soundless, movieless, and internetless
Well I could get internet, but only with snaking about 150 ft of wire around my house. Sick of not bein gable to do anyhting, I searched for a copy of windows. One of my freinds was nice enough to give me a copy of windows taht he baught. I installed the drivers, and everything worked. Sound, the dvd, and the wireless adapter. Not wanting to ditch ubuntu entirelly, I decided to daul-boot.
Ubuntu may be bugless, but is it really worth all that trouble?
I am not really sure if this is the correct place to post this, but the first post said that this is were noobs can discuss the problems they foud with ubuntu.

Wow, I've been so lucky! My experience has been total opposite.
I pulled an old Toshiba Portege 7200 from the recycle pile put a Xubuntu CD in and been running fine from day one, wireless and all. I was so impressed that I pulled the old Mac that was next to the trash can and loaded Ubunto on it and it too has been ruining without problems.
I have not had to write a single line of code or even post a question on this great forum. All apps and drivers included in installation. I just read the instructions before I began.
I've used the web browser with great success as well as the mail app and the office app. I think I might need to install codecs in the Xubuntu copy but, I had to do it with windows too. No biggie!

I am not a techie nor I wish to be. I can not write code or have the patience to be troubleshooting PCs. Have used Macs most of my life for that same reason.

I'm sticking with Ubuntu!

I hope you can too.

Alfredo

Lowva
March 13th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Hi :-), i've always been an Linux enthusiast but did not want to put the time and effort in it. and that is do to the much Windows products that i use and i am able to easily find, and i mean i can find anything and the installs don't require so much use of the command line, but now i am ready to sit down and play with Linux, i have tried different distros, which at 1st really confuse the mayhem noodle chicken out of me, specially trying to find the right distros which gave my head a psychological war fare, like watching a dog trying to hump a basketball, but it had thorns. I currently work in an IT world @ a hospital as a consultant all Windows base. I'm really in2 web development, specially with the cross platform RIA, thats the area that i am most interested in, and with linux[ubuntu style baby] i hope i can achieve this. I have currently trashed Windows OS[which i gata tell you, i had the entire Windows OS running on 40 megs] I had it stripped down to performance level and thats how i want to get to know linux, i want to eat it, breath it like i did with windows, and more. So enough about that now down to the noobish stuff :).

1] How do i view drivers
2] Where do i go to learn about the command line [i mean like do stuff, like tutorials etc]
3] I am currently using gnome, i want to learn how to make it faster, i know about XFce which i tried [Xubuntu] but some stuff where not working, so i said let me start with ubuntu, i will keep ubuntu for 6 months then hopefully by that time i will be comfy installing/un-installing package
4] I want to learn more about pakages, rpms etc any-1 have anything in mind
5] Also the library stuff, connecting etc, how to make them better, more stable, effecient
6] Hardware, which one are best compatible with linux, with the next release of ubuntu, i read they are implementing their on video drivers, how will that affect Debian, i am currently also playing with it

Thank you guys, and let the linux revolution begin lol

akirksey
March 14th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Hi :-), i've always been an Linux enthusiast but did not want to put the time and effort in it. and that is do to the much Windows products that i use and i am able to easily find, and i mean i can find anything and the installs don't require so much use of the command line,

I find that funny. Just because I migrated to ubuntu several months ago and lost mswindows in the procses (Dell for some reason chose not to send me a new windows disk with my laptop). After a recent reinstall I found windows more difficult to set up then ubuntu driver wise, mostly because ubuntu did a great job with identifying most of my drivers save my (god help me) dispicable Broadcom 4318 *shivers* wireless adapter, and my monitor res which is peculiar because my screen is like 11x14". I couldn't even connect to a wired internet connection with the over bloated leviathan windows is supposed to be, easy! Hah!

Ok speaking of which, after three months I've ultimately lost my battle with BCM4318, i know there are forums with guides about ndiswrapper, and yes I can quote them all the way through. I had my wireless working for a long time in edgy eft, but i'll be bushwacked if after following the same guide that helped me set it up last time isn't working now. The setup I've been using is:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

blacklist bcm43xx

I then install ndiswrapper 1.8 and ndiswrapper common

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

ndiswrapper -l bcmwl5.inf driver installed, hardware present (is what it reports)

and then i hit my wireless lan power button (which i'm sorry to say only lights up when the wireless card is communicating and sending packets and what not) and blam, network manager has a revelation, a dyed in the wool vision of what my computer doesn't have, and that is a wireless card.

I'm thinking the accompanying bcmwl5.sys file might need to be implimented in some way but i can't figure how, or if maybe i missed something. any help? I'm using the kernal that edgy was just upgraded with, .11 (generic).

thoughts?

bwallum
March 14th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hi Again

I now have a machine up and running on Ubuntu. I am about to convert the next one. My experience is that the bulk of the advice is Linux techy and does not address the user's needs as expressed in plain english. It is an alien language to the Windows migrant.

I suspect that there are a lot like me out there that would like to experiment with Linux using an old machine that has been recently replaced.

What do you think about me contributing some plain english 'how to's' starting from a Windows machine, downloading and burning the Ubuntu Live CD and then getting things running. On that list I could contribute:-

Overcoming the Why Ubunyu doesn't work straight out of the box - the legal constraints.
The Synaptic Package Manager - Application for installing and removing your programs.
How to set up for BBC News Streams
How to connect your iPod Shuttle
Office suite in Ubunu
Accounts in Ubuntu
CAD in Ubuntu
Running your old Windows programmes in Ubuntu
Problems with Macromedia Flash based sites
How to connect to Sources of Help
The Community Forums - Absolute Beginner Talk
The Ubuntu Manual
The Community Documents
Online Chat Support
The Support Encyclopedia - Ubuntu Wiki

I suspect that most of the above information exists already, somewhere in Ubuntu land. I would use (where I could find it) that advice and test it in a real setup.

If this sounds like a good idea then your support would be appreciated. In the first instance can we make a definitive list of all the help sources available?

Kind Regards
Bob

mahiyar
March 14th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Hi All,
I am just two months old in Ubuntu. When I saw "Beginning team" I was glad, since having experienced the "growing up pangs", I am glad that there will be a special focus on new users. But I'am a bit confused maybe some clarification will help?
How will this forum be different from the other "Absolute beginners talk" forum. One of the greatest frustration is posting something and then having no replies. How will the Beginning team forum be any different.
The goals listed are the logical steps to a full time Ubuntu user, like I am today (90% of the time :)). But I had a lot of pain along the way, right from loading flash driver in firefox to printer install to breaking my head on scanner (finally found that no linux supports this, and of course the manufacturer is to blame).
The problem is not that there is no information rather it is the other way, the information is diverse and scattered and not for any one user/ machine. How will this forum deal with these things differently?
Then again I do not understand the concept of the word team, will these team members be moderators in the forum? will these be the people from whom feed back will be taken?
IMHO operating system just provides the stage for other programmes to perform. It is a combination of both that counts.
Anything launched with an intention to help is laudable and should certainly be encouraged, my questions are just to help make things clear and certainly not a objection in any form.

king_rero
March 14th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Oh My GOD great work
first off all I'm new beginner to the linux I've installed OpenSUSE 10.2 then Joatha 7 and now I'm gonna fix Ubuntu 6.10 and the main issue that making me to travel from distribution to another is email problem because I'm beginner so pleaze help me.

ho can I work with my email server like as I usually doing with outlook?

10x
king_rero
:confused:

bodhi.zazen
March 14th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hi All,
I am just two months old in Ubuntu. When I saw "Beginning team" I was glad, since having experienced the "growing up pangs", I am glad that there will be a special focus on new users. But I'am a bit confused maybe some clarification will help?
How will this forum be different from the other "Absolute beginners talk" forum. One of the greatest frustration is posting something and then having no replies. How will the Beginning team forum be any different.

Good question ;)

The goal of this forum is to give new users a voice. How can the Beginners team help new users?

This is a place where ideas can be discussed and is already a wealth of suggestions. As the team comes on line we will look here for feedback on our efforts and additional suggestions.

Also we I am hoping to offer general support meaning help educate new users on their new OS. Where and how to find information on the forums & wiki. Help introduce Linux terminology. What is KDE, XFCE, Fluxbox ...?

Absolute Beginners Talk (ABT), IMO, is more for technical assistance with a specific hardware or software issue (how do I get my wireless card working ...). The advantage of ABT for these questions is the sheer number of users available to help ...

At the end of the day it is a gray line and threads may be moved to where the Ubuntu Moderators feel they will get the best and fastest response.

The goals listed are the logical steps to a full time Ubuntu user, like I am today (90% of the time :)). But I had a lot of pain along the way, right from loading flash driver in firefox to printer install to breaking my head on scanner (finally found that no linux supports this, and of course the manufacturer is to blame).
The problem is not that there is no information rather it is the other way, the information is diverse and scattered and not for any one user/ machine. How will this forum deal with these things differently?

Another set of good questions. Yes "logical steps to a full time Ubuntu user" is what I think of as assisting new users transitioning into Ubuntu. I am building a core of both new and experienced users to try to not only ease the pain, but actually make the whole process fun (or at least as smooth as possible).

Then again I do not understand the concept of the word team, will these team members be moderators in the forum? will these be the people from whom feed back will be taken?

Team members will be active in the forums. At this time we are looking at FAQ from ABT and are starting to generate a set of solutions/answers.

IMHO operating system just provides the stage for other programmes to perform. It is a combination of both that counts.
Anything launched with an intention to help is laudable and should certainly be encouraged, my questions are just to help make things clear and certainly not a objection in any form.

Thank you for your time. I would invite all new users to give us input.

foxhelp
March 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM
The goal of this forum is to give new users a voice. How can the Beginners team help new users?

This is a place where ideas can be discussed and is already a wealth of suggestions. As the team comes on line we will look here for feedback on our efforts and additional suggestions.

Also we I am hoping to offer general support meaning help educate new users on their new OS. Where and how to find information on the forums & wiki. Help introduce Linux terminology. What is KDE, XFCE, Fluxbox ...?

Absolute Beginners Talk (ABT), IMO, is more for technical assistance with a specific hardware or software issue (how do I get my wireless card working ...). The advantage of ABT for these questions is the sheer number of users available to help ...

benfindlay
March 15th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I think there will be a lot of cross over between the Absolute Beginners Talk and the Beginner Team. Certainly the Absolute Beginners Talk section is more prominent on the forum, so this is an issue that might be worth adressing!

NoMoreVictoriaSecret
March 16th, 2007, 04:55 AM
A good post and I would guess typical of the way Ubuntu can put people off. I have managed to get Ubuntu up and running but it has taken a couple of weeks and there are still problems doing it the Ubuntu way.

I do support it however as if offers a future free from monopoly (and exploitation) of personal computing. If you ever doubt that this is a paranoid perspective have a look at your index.dat file. It has logged every single site you have been to on the Internet, it has tracked all you logins info, including your bank account details if you do that stuff online. Now that index.dat has become known MS are moving on to real time monitoring stored on their servers.

If you want help getting Ubuntu running (and it is worth it for performance considerations alone) I would be delighted to assist. you will need a little patience. Not too much, I am in the process of getting an elderly lady to make the switch who just loves the ethos and the way it looks (not all users are techies!)

Kind Regards
Bob

this index.dat file whats the best way to open it.????? <-----------
This forum is very useful but still having a problem with my resolution.... help?
tried the other forums on here and none of explained it in good detail.

benfindlay
March 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
this index.dat file whats the best way to open it.????? <-----------
This forum is very useful but still having a problem with my resolution.... help?
tried the other forums on here and none of explained it in good detail.

What kind of resoltution problems are you having? Have you tried reconfiguring your xserver-xorg? If not, launch a terminal and type
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You can re-setup your whole graphics in there, including adding new resolutions to your list!

bwallum
March 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Go to top left menu Applications>Internet>Evolution mail.

If it is not there then install it. Go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager. Search for evolution, click on checkbox, Apply and Apply again to confirm.

I'm an ex Outlook person, Evolution is much nicer.

Regards
Bob

thejacko
March 17th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Hi....everyone
Like the others, I just installed Ubuntu 6.10 onto my i386 machine, everything going smooth and perfect until the end of installed process, I wonder why, when I want to restart my system, it always hanged. What happen to my Ubuntu, honestly I love this version, coz it very stable and all of my hardwares running perfect include my wifi dongle (I'm using D-Link DWL G-122 USB stick). Please help me, what should I do to fix this situation. Until now I can't restart my Ubuntu, all I can do is to shutdown it.
And I want to know, is there a command to refresh my internet connections when it down?

pyewackets
March 17th, 2007, 05:15 PM
This is the forum for me, thanks for getting it started. I have been using Ubuntu 6.10 for about two months and I am extremely pleased with it. I just loaded it on a Fujitsu laptop I purchased here in Okinawa Japan. I will be taking it on a trip to Korea next month and testing it out in all the coffee shops in Seoul.

revai
March 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM
hi guys just glad i'm in a right team ha ha ha,i wil be happy if i can get my ubuntu on my pc to be completely the OS. i just can't play my mpegs and mp3s, wonder why.i tryied using the
apt-get to install some codecs but stil cant get it right.it tells me this msg:$ sudo apt-get install totem-xine vorbis-tools sox faad lame \imagemagick ffmpeg mjpegtools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package totem-xine is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
libtotem-plparser1
E: Package totem-xine has no installation candidate
plz some1 to help me! reply @ phakwon@gmail.com

teaker1s
March 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM
terminal

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list and any commented out sources remove the # eg.
commented out
#deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper multiverse
#deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper multiverse

not commented out
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper multiverse

save file

gksudo synaptic
hit the edit tab select general tab and tick show properties in main window
hit reload tab and search

dptxp
March 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM
It took me weeks to find out that there are programs that do not show up on Menu bars (like GEDIT) but can be easily added. It had taken me time to find out what are 'universe', 'restricted' etc. programs. These are some issues that enthusiasts find out, but not all looking for an OS can even think of.
Some typical questions are like whether to go for 64 bit or 32 bit for AMD64. I see that many posts discourage the 64 bit versions. I believe that 64 bit should be encouraged, I am running the 64 bit. Users can be told that if the need arises, they can run 32 bit applications, they can run Windows applications.
Users even fail to burn their CDs properly. Small, small matters. Just ignorance. All information is there, but not all users can spend weeks just to run Ubuntu.
I am still trying to figure out how to block access of other users to a particular drive. Tried to edit the fstab, most probably the solution lies there. But was unsuccessful.
As a new user to Ubuntu who has assembled quite a few PCs and loaded Windows many times, I shall give you the problems of a typical user who has the inclination to run Ubuntu, but gets tired running around too much.
So the information should be complete without links. Links may be there for further reference. I plan to list my documentation on a web-page and you shall be free to add anything useful from the site, correct me where I am wrong. Else we can keep on discussing what to give and how to give. It may be better to get down to documentation and then assemble and edit.

rgd55
March 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I am planning on a first time ubuntu install in the near future.I am in the gathering
info stage and will be in need of help.
I found this .pdf helpful and it has placed me in favor of the Ubuntu distribution.
http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Linux/LinuxInstall.pdf

NotTheSharpestTool
March 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM
Great idea! I'm greener than a sea sick lepricon when it comes to Linux, so I will take advantage of the help. Thanks!

first time i've laughed in a week......i'll give details in a new thread.
BTW, what is this wiki? ans how do i use it, and where can i get the basics to study the architecture of linux, so i can at least have a clue as to what you people are going to be trying to tell me to do to fix my gear.....(i really like the mocha desk top, and i had the spinning cube glx, thing going on, till i broke it) now, i'll create a back-up BEFORE i start playing with it

Rotaj
March 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM
This may be overkill for most, but I stumbled upon a free download of "The Ubuntu Linux Bible".
It is a nice (and thorough) resource.

http://ebookspyder.net/index.php/2007/03/03/ubuntu-linux-bible.html

I hope some will find this helpful

P.S. The password for the zip file is ebookspyder.net

dptxp
March 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
This ebook is not overkill (I just breezed through its 900+ pages). It is a book for beginners.
Thanks. I am going to put it in main thread.

Akrash
March 21st, 2007, 07:23 PM
Hello,

I have been trying to turn my desktop into a cube. I have followed instructions on this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341149&highlight=install+xgl) to install xgl/beryl. Can someone guide me to a page that has instructions for a noob to get the cube.

Thanks

Total Noob.

orengolan
March 22nd, 2007, 03:45 AM
i am new to Linux, Installed the 6.10 on Dell Inspiron 640m.
after a bloody weeks i was able to connect it to my home wireless network. (WEP encryption), but from some reason i can't connect it to the wireless at the office.
(also WEP).

my wirleless card is Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI.
(i think that it also called 4311)

The solution for the home wireless was this:
1. blacklisting the the bcm43xx module.
2. using the ndiswrapper to install the appropriate Windows XP driver and doing the modprobe thingy. (it's half Chinese for me)

here is the thread that helped my in the home connection: (thanks to dbott67!)
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=386292
I also have NetworkManager applet 0.6.3.

here is the result of iwconfig and iwlist:

eth1 scan:eth1 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:B6:F7:3C:29
ESSID:"CSS-OFFICE"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
Mode:Managed
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality:82/100 Signal level:-43 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
Extra:bcn_int=100
Extra:atim=0

what is wrong with the office connection?
It's not my laptop, and if i'll be able to make it work at the office
and at my friend's house (he has WAP1..)
i might be able to convert all the office (it's a small company)!

Thanks!

teaker1s
March 22nd, 2007, 03:54 PM
I've had some compatibility issues with routers, now this could be the "afterburneer" speed boot causing issue with some routers. This also could be the dhcp as some routers fail to correctly do this.
For the afterburner (speedboost) issue see the broadcom link in my signature

orengolan
March 23rd, 2007, 05:09 AM
I followed the instructions in your link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4311_rev_01_%28ndiswrapper%29?action=s how) and now i can't even find my network.
(but at least my interface is wlan0 and not eth1, whatever that means..)

yuka@yuka-laptop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

ZeroWing
March 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Hello,

I have been trying to turn my desktop into a cube. I have followed instructions on this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...ht=install+xgl) to install xgl/beryl. Can someone guide me to a page that has instructions for a noob to get the cube.

Thanks

Total Noob.

Try the Beryl Wiki.

Wiki. (http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/AiGLX)

orengolan
March 26th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Please ignore my last post. I am not going to use this laptop anymore.

Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 6.10 on my tablet-pc (Fujitsu Lifebook P1015D)
and the wireless works out of the box (at my house, tomorrow i'll try it at work).
I also Installed Ubuntu on my friend's new laptop (Vaio TX) and it works great,
and I also have it on my desktop..

That's the list of my current issues:
my tablet-pc:
1. when connecting my tablet to external monitor the fonts looks awful, almost not readable. I don't know if it matters but I set the resolution to 1024*600
(I have two options to choose from - 1024*800 or 800*600).
2. the touch screen is not working as a touch anymore. also all the buttons on the screen are not working (rotating the screen etc)
3. the Function+F6/Function+F7 that control the brightness are not working.

i just googled and found those links. i hope that they will help:
1. amazing page (http://www.psionik.com/p1510d/) about my tablet and ubuntu 6.0 (not 6.10 but still looks like great info)
2. a Linux kernel driver for the buttons on the Fujitsu FMV Stylistic tablet PCs. (http://jan.rychter.com/software/fjbtndrv/fjbtndrv.ucw)
3. Fujitsu lifebook application panel (http://apanel.sourceforge.net/index.php).

my desktop machine:
1. the fonts are weird lokks fat then on the windows machine. I think it's firefox, but it might be also in the ubuntu menus and apps, i am not sure.

Thanks!

bodhi.zazen
March 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Please ignore my last post. I am not going to use this laptop anymore.

<clip>

That's the list of my current issues:

<clip>

Thanks!

orengolan: First Welcome to Ubuntu. We at ubutnu, not just the beginners team, will try to help.

BUT, this is not the best thread for support. You should post in Absolute Beginners Talk, General Help, or better yet

Hardware & Laptops (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135)

I think you will have better luck in those places rather then asking your technical questions in a thread announcing the Beginners Team.

orengolan
March 27th, 2007, 01:59 AM
ok, thanks!

Mark_in_Hollywood
March 28th, 2007, 12:13 AM

Dude:

Don't do that just yet, try:

www.tatanka.com.br/

he has IE 5, 5.5, and 6.0 up and running. You won't need Wine. You should have a MS 98 or better license. His work is really cool!

crazyclown
March 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I just completed installing Ubuntu 6.10. Everything is going great so far. This is my third distro. I loaded Red Hat and Mandrake a few years ago and just never had time to try and learn them. I am tired of M$ and constanly paying for it.

asphalt-alliance
March 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I am new too ubuntu I have been using windows for awhile and decided to start using ubuntu. Is there a user guide where i can read more on how to use ubuntu like the file system, downloading and using beryl. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

bodhi.zazen
March 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I am new too ubuntu I have been using windows for awhile and decided to start using ubuntu. Is there a user guide where i can read more on how to use ubuntu like the file system, downloading and using beryl. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
There are several such guides.

Start here : https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html

xe1ufo
March 31st, 2007, 02:40 AM
Wow Hello and thanks,

A good place to start would be installing a 2nd Gen iPod Nano. That would keep my wife happy and show her how good Ubuntu is! I think I've just about done it but it was very long winded and I haven't a clue what I did?!?:)

Roger: You will find that Ubuntu will become exteremly easy extremly fast!

For the Ipod (I have a fifth generation 30-Gigger, which I love!!) I found the easiest program to be gtkpod. Once you plug in your Ipod and it appears on your desktop, just start gtkpod. On the left menu go down to Import Database from Ipod. Once you do that, you can add files and even folders full of audio files to gtkpod. Then export the database back to your Ipod and you are done. And, no, it does NOT insist on formatting your Ipod like the Mickey Mouse Itunes on a different Windows machine! You can connect your Ipod to as many Linux machines as you wish, and lose no files.

As far as simple installation, once you get your Repositories for your version of Ubuntu properly set up (Do a search for Repositories here in the forums - there is a ton of information.), you will have about 22,000 programs to chose from, by simply clicking on them.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

orengolan
March 31st, 2007, 06:02 AM
Another great tool I use is PodNova. I used it in Windows too.

It's a podcast client that hold your subscriptions on PodNova's servers.
When I switched from Windows to Ubuntu all I had to do is install PodNova on Ubuntu, enter my user+password (in Podnova settings section) and that's it- all my podcasts were there (the application downloads it from the server)

After I get the mp3 files via PodNova I move them to gtkpod and than sync my Ipod.

wisp
March 31st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hello all,

This is the first post of an ex-windows user who had enough of crashes, viruses & comp.
Until now I can say I found my "peace" with ubuntu (great work all of you).
But...
I can manage to understand quite everything that belongs to computers but how this software can work with some "general" drivers? Are there any? The only thing needed: nVidia OpenGl drivers. That was all. And my computer is not an usual one (it is configured as a render station in windows). I am stunned. It's fast as hell, and extremely stable...
So. Security. Is necessary? I guess so. In this case, which?
Drivers. Are necessary or not? It's a Woodcrest, P965, nVidia Quadro, 4Gb RAM, Raptor.
To mention that I'm gonna use the sistem for Internet, torrents, music, so on and so forth.
Windows will remain unfortunately with the heavy stuff(3ds Max, video encoding, programming and compiling) but without internet acces. It's far better that way.

Thank you in advance,
New Linux fan.

L.E. Well... First real problem. For a couple of programs the result of the $ bash ./configure gives the error "C compiler cannot create executables". No kiddin... :)) The result is obvious, i can't continue the install. Is it because I have the 64 bit version of ubuntu?

cyrano24100
April 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Hello There, I'm mostly a non-techno MS Windows/Mac user, but I've been designated with doing coding and network for our small start-up (hey just three of us, and I got the short straw). Within a month I'm up on Apache/PHP and MySQL is my best friend!

So here I am with two BEAUTIFUL PowerEdge 1950 servers and no clue where to start (just an educated guess sent me to ubuntu forums).

I've started the install yesterday morning, spent most of the night... I'm now on my second pot of coffee (Ubuntu of coarse!) - Man I love this stuff! If makes the prospect of launching a website feel real!

Anyway found the forums while de-budding, so as you can imagine it's not been smooth; Hell, I wouldn't be this exhilarated if it had been a walk in the park!

Now if only I could absorb a couple Linux line-commands it would save my neck!..

My first bug? He; I started the install with a Dell flatscreen which didn't show the two last bottom lines - I just couldn't understand WHAT was going on; I drove 20 miles and back to get a hold of my friend's "old" 1024x768 CRT monitor

shredder480
April 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
hm....im a beginner, are there any good guides out there?

ntnam
April 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
Please help me: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=398420

dptxp
April 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
You can find your guide here :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

rabid9797
April 2nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
or you could use the ubuntu guide: http://ubuntuguide.org

Gina
April 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
I'm totally smitten with Ubuntu :lol: It's given me a new lease of life and a new interest. I had become soooo frustrated with *******! Only trouble is, I don't seem to have enough time to explore everything - necessities of life get in the way :lol: Been using it for less than two months but already well converted :) Just a couple of things that I do in ******* that I haven't yet sorted out in Ubuntu. Getting there though and about to install Feisty 7.04 Beta having used the live CD and found great improvements on Dapper 6.06 - the version inbetween, 6.10 Edgy, doesn't seem to like my desktop system.

I'm hoping I may be able to contribute advise to beginners even though the general online help both from the main Ubuntu site and here is excellent.

jamesjeffries1
April 4th, 2007, 02:04 AM
goto http://linuxmigration.tk for help switching to linux

tonygad
April 5th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Hello all
I'm an old Aussie who has been promising myself for yonks to at least try to become familiar with Linux/Ubuntu operating systems.

I tried Red Hat and found it a little too arcane for my old brain hence my switch to Ubuntu.

I've installed U6.10 on an old P3 Dell Optiplex GX1 machine which I had retired a long time back and had no problems with the seamless install apart from 6.10 denying the existence of the on board sound.

I've glanced through the prodigious and well written on line help files and am prepared for a steep learning curve however somehow I've managed to connect to my adsl router and am connected to WAN and can see some of my LAN/WXPSP2 machines.

I note that there is a more recent Ubuntu beta release (ver. 7.04?) and am wondering if I should upgrade now or simply press on with 6.10

Apologies for my long-winded first post :)

bodhi.zazen
April 5th, 2007, 10:04 PM
tonygad :

Welcome to Ubuntu :)

As far as upgrading, to be honest, I don't think it matters at this point.

If Edgy (6.10) is up and running, let the learning begin.

With that said, Most who have tried Feisty (7.10) have enjoyed it.

rabid9797
April 5th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I note that there is a more recent Ubuntu beta release (ver. 7.04?) and am wondering if I should upgrade now or simply press on with 6.10

Apologies for my long-winded first post :)

no need to switch right now, edgy is still a fully functional system, and its better to learn on the stable ones than on a still buggy beta version, plus there's more support for edgy right now(such as the Ubuntu Guide wiki @ http://ubuntuguide.org ) on which to help learn with.

dwjdb
April 7th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I am simply wondering if ubuntu installs like other OS's in that it will overwrite existing files when installing. May I dual boot this OS or will it replace windows if I do not pre-partition the drive first. I don't do partitioning very often so I don't remember well enough to make it too complex. Thanks!

Gina
April 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
If you want to keep Windows, you'll have to make room for separate Linux partitions. But if you do provide it with it's own space Ubuntu can use that space and install a dual-boot system. I have three PCs happily running dual-boot. On my laptop I resized the Windows partition (after using defrag to make space at the end of the drive) and put Ubuntu on the same drive in it's own new partitions created in the space recovered from Windows. The other PCs (desktop) have Ubuntu on a different drive.

ayenack
April 8th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Hey old Aussie Brain. Your lot are doing well in the C.W.C. unlike England.

I would advise not to upgrade right now. I've been testing the Beta on my test P.C. and have had some issues with networking nothing to serious but took a bit of messing about to get things up and running the way I wanted. Also tried it with wireless card and router D-Link DSL-G604T and DWL-G122 and had an issue with the wireless DWL-G122 connecting to the network but being unusable after scratching head for awhile realised that for some strange reason the card was using wlan0-avahi driver instead if wlan0 or wlanmaster0. Still have not worked this one out yet! So if anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated. Also had A few issues with screen refresh rate most lightly to do with not having installed Nvidia drivers yet.

So I would say no don't upgrade yet. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Best of luck using Ubuntu.

Charcoal1981
April 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hey folks,

Great idea to have a beginner team. I have been running ubuntu (dapper) for about a month and everything has work almost perfect out of the box. If I could make a suggestion for your wiki, it would be to include as much as possible about the xorg.conf file and how to edit it (and what to edit) for as many of the common devices as possible. I have found that 99% of my problems have been fixed by tweaking this file (although I may be an exception i guess). I think a begginers guide to the xorg.conf would have saved me a lot of time searching and some worrying experiments!

Also a quick question - my wacom volito 2 tablet stopped working when I upgraded to edgy yesterday. It was working fine in dapper (including pressure sensitivity) but I am at a loss to fix it in edgy. Is this a known issue? I have had no other issues with the upgrade.

Thanks, and good luck with the beginner team

r00tintheb0x
April 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM
tony

Welcome! Glad you've come to Ubuntu. I use Fawn because i like fixing things. There's not much difference between Edgy and Fawn.

Mike

Charlie Chick
April 8th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me! There must be many like me who are familiar with ******* and need help to learn a different way of doing things. If I can be of any assistance to this project, please get in touch.

tsikis
April 9th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Hi there new one to ubuntu and loving it , i really like the idea of giving a work that promotes humanity to a open source distribution glad that i am a part of it.

Just wanna say a thanks to all that helped in making,keeping,contibuting,.............. to such a nice linux OS, keep up the good work.

palmerthegeek
April 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Hey gang,
Would love to help were I can, and helping beginners is a great place to start... I think...

:)

Fasteddie
April 10th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Hi wondering if you can help?
I have an old P3 Win 2000 box which has been lying in the garage redundant fpr some time. So I decided the other day to take it out and transorm it to a Linux box. I am an absolute Linux/Ubuntu beginner but very keen to learn something new. I have downloaded version 6.10 and burned it on a CDROM but cannot install it on the Win 2K box. Have followed the simple online instructions. I have tried everything even installed ISObuster to view the files and burned the unzipped files onto disc but still nothing. What am I doing or not doing right? Please help.:(

Thanks
Fast Eddie

bodhi.zazen
April 10th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Hi wondering if you can help?
I have an old P3 Win 2000 box which has been lying in the garage redundant fpr some time. So I decided the other day to take it out and transorm it to a Linux box. I am an absolute Linux/Ubuntu beginner but very keen to learn something new. I have downloaded version 6.10 and burned it on a CDROM but cannot install it on the Win 2K box. Have followed the simple online instructions. I have tried everything even installed ISObuster to view the files and burned the unzipped files onto disc but still nothing. What am I doing or not doing right? Please help.:(

Thanks
Fast Eddie

It is great to see all the support for the team,welcome all.

Fast Eddie : you will get better support if you start a new thread rather then posting on this one. Be sure to describe the problem a little better. Is the problem you can not boot the CD or do you have problems with the installer itself.

tonygad
April 11th, 2007, 06:52 AM
After failing (following googling myself silly) to get even a squeak out of of the on-board sound chipset (Crystal) - which is part of a Dell Optiplex GX1 with the latest BIOS, despite the good faith advice not to upgrade to Ubuntu 7.04, I did so somewhat in desperation.

Remarkably, according Device Management, the upgrade appeared to have loaded the audio driver for the relevant Crystal chipset however despite my every effort (limited due to my noobiness), I am still unable to get it working. The sound icon that appears on the top right side of my desktop reports "no volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found"

BTW, apart from some weird graphic distortion/aberration amounting a square inch black horizontal lines on the left upper corner of my screen, all other systems appear to be functioning OK.

Any assistance in solving the sound problem will be most appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep on searching for a solution.

tonygad
April 13th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Hi all

Apologies for not getting back sooner but I was overwhelmed by reading the voluminous number of replies I received suggesting fixes for my problem (mild sarcasm intended).

My sound issues have now been resolved by simply inserting and old 16 bit Sound Blaster card I found amongst my collection of hardware debris after disabling on-board sound via BIOS.

For all intents and purposes from my perspective anyways, I now have a free, fully functioning operating system and will now commence my journey of discovering ways of understanding it with the objective that sometime in the near future after I get my head around CLI, I may be considered an intermediate/advance user.

Best wishes and cheers all - I will not be re-visiting this forum again and will be seeking one a tad more proactive.

teaker1s
April 13th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I will not be re-visiting this forum again and will be seeking one a tad more proactive.

I'm sorry you feel that way, our forums are one of the most active you will find, generally if you don't get an answer it's because either nobody knows or the person that does know hasn't logged in and seen your reply.
I would urge you to give the forums a little more time:D

dptxp
April 13th, 2007, 09:31 AM
After failing (following googling myself silly) to get even a squeak out of of the on-board sound chipset (Crystal) - which is part of a Dell Optiplex GX1 with the latest BIOS, despite the good faith advice not to upgrade to Ubuntu 7.04, I did so somewhat in desperation.

Remarkably, according Device Management, the upgrade appeared to have loaded the audio driver for the relevant Crystal chipset however despite my every effort (limited due to my noobiness), I am still unable to get it working. The sound icon that appears on the top right side of my desktop reports "no volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found"

BTW, apart from some weird graphic distortion/aberration amounting a square inch black horizontal lines on the left upper corner of my screen, all other systems appear to be functioning OK.

Any assistance in solving the sound problem will be most appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep on searching for a solution.

I have not seen your earlier posts, if any, but you can add gstreamer by selecting audio/video in add/remove. You will find gstreamer codecs for download in the list on the right.

I personally prefer neat clean new install to upgrades.

I have got no replies to some of my problems, but I visit the forum and I post. I do not think that anyone holds anything against you.

Enjoy your Ubuntu. Enjoy the forums. Enjoy the problems. Enjoy the solutions.

Kizilbas
April 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
teaker1s how can I use wine to install my WebCam.

My webcam was working fine on xp

thanks

my regards

bodhi.zazen
April 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM
PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS THREAD FOR SUPPORT QUESTIONS

If you need support, search the forums and if you do not find an answer start a new thread in Absolute Beginners Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73)

Why ? You are very unlikely to get an answer to you question in this thread, as you can see by tonygad's experience.

Peace be with you,

bodhi.zazen

energiya
April 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
The Beginner Team (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=215) has started :p

Obtain and boot Ubuntu.
Install Ubuntu.
Transition into Ubuntu.

Very nice ideea! Good luck!

New users :

First, welcome to Ubutnu.

Don't want to confuse the anyone... ;)

bwallum
April 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM
That's Freudian for U****** but new!

rickycodie
April 16th, 2007, 07:38 AM
hey guys i'm new !!! and a dork!!!

adam.tropics
April 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM
hey guys i'm new !!! and a dork!!!

...and alas, may need a different type of support altogether! (Welcome)

Zenerek
April 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Hello all,this is my first post on this forum

I too am new to ubuntu and come from windowz,i wouldn't say i am as green as you can get or pretty damn green, i'd say somwhat green

the reason i never posted here before is because i'd usually find a way to fix what probs i had,that brings me to the 2 weeks it took to make my winmodem work.

it was a hard chore that strained my patience,after days of going back and forth from my room to the living where my net acess is and researching,the answer was found, i needed scan modem tool and a driver.

sounds simple but i read lots of of read me's files....stuff,my point is although here in the us alot of people have cable or dsl,not everyone does and don't forget people in other countries too.not to mention others may not be as patient.

so i think there should be more help installing modems,heck i'm here for another modem related issue which i can't solve

i think another good idea is too have help on certain commands like tar which are a must know

what i mean by help is a sorta quick guide that explains the needed options for certain important commands and excludes the almost never used options to and optional advanced section.

for instance when i was trying to learn chmod to change permissions i read the man file and it was filled with loads of options and a hard to learn syntax,it was hard because the sysnopsis in the man doc is confusing,i learned what options i needed to use before the exact structure to place them in

it took me an hour to figure out the chmod command, the funny thing is later while reading the ubuntu unleased book i learned how to use chmod with numbers which i did not ever bother as it seemed harder in the man doc.

the difference was in the book and sites, they had a clear definition of the syntax and the basic options which were most used.

well those are my thoughs and sorry it turned to be so long.

DrBeaverhausen
April 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu, but am having some major transition issues.

First and for most is the error message. Error: Opening the cache (E:Type 'OK' is not known on line 34 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list, E:The list of sources could not be read.) I'm not sure what this means, or how to fix it. All I know is that I can't install or update anything.

The second thing is running World of Warcraft. I have Cedaga, but its hit or miss weather WoW will run. And when it does it runs really choppy and slow. WoW ran just fine under windows. Maybe I just need to know how to tweek the performance.

And last but not least my music. I've been using iTunes for several years and own an iPod. How do I manage my music on my iPod, and play the songs I purchased from iTunes in Ubuntu. I've looked around and just hear that I can't.

Please somebody help me. I don't want to pay the $120 it will cost to go back to windows.

Sbarton
April 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
This may be worth a look at. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93
regards

wja19512003
April 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Is ubuntu compatible with most servers like verizon does anybody know?

Joseaa
April 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
wow ! This is absolutely freqin cool.

I am new to Linux and as of now the whole thing looks like one big puzzle. Now, I can ask all my noobish doubts without completely feeling stupid about it. It would be great if we can also have some irc channels for the noobs like me to hang around and pick something Linux thingy from here and there.

bodhi.zazen
April 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
wow ! This is absolutely freqin cool.

I am new to Linux and as of now the whole thing looks like one big puzzle. Now, I can ask all my noobish doubts without completely feeling stupid about it. It would be great if we can also have some irc channels for the noobs like me to hang around and pick something Linux thingy from here and there.

Well, there is :)

Come on over to freenode

channel #ubuntuforums-beginners

Ask all the noob questions you would like.

PLEASE #ubuntu is for technical support

arcx
April 20th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Hi all,

This is cool and here goes my first forum reply and I have no idea what am I doing nor how, excuse my typo..

To all you that have been working with Ubuntu some time now I'd like to ask you a question and it goes something like this, it might sound stupid but hey it might help someone else too... :KS

When I installed a Ubuntu linux, in this case Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn, started working with it and what ever I move the mouse over, a button, a menu, menu label, etc... I get a freking yellow box with a text, something like a balloon or hint or tooltip, HOW DO I REMOVE THIS??? :confused: I dont want it to appear anywhere on my screen! :mad:

It is driving me crazy I dont know where to disable it or turn it off, looked everywhere found nothing, probably missed it and now I'm need help. :(

Please HELP!!!

Cheers
m8s
:guitar:

sigg.switz
April 21st, 2007, 05:06 AM
Thank you, I am shifting around my files right now and getting ready to defrag my hard drive! Im going to do an install of ubuntu as soon as possible...I really hope this works out for me, I really want to get off windows...only problem I can forsee is my ACC protected files from itunes - any suggestions for a very good music manager other than the one that comes with the install? Well I hope to see much more of the forums as my questions are surely to arise...

orengolan
April 21st, 2007, 05:26 AM
well done sigg,
I jumped into this cool world a month ago and never look back.
ok, almost - i can't replace my work laptop because
I use the best MSF app - OneNote and i need to connect to SQL server, but Ubuntu (and linux) is really amazing OS!

samartian
April 23rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
why did I ever use the bsod software b4... i wonder... Lovely OS... and thanx for offering help 2 us noobs.

cheerz and have a good day

Adebisi
April 24th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Hi everyone,

Utter Linux n00b here.

Got a shiny new laptop so i am going to try a linux out.

spykid33
April 24th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Hi, I lost my password for Ubuntu and read a tutorial on how to fix it and when it says enter new UNIX password I can not type anything, I can only press enter. This occurred before. TIA

bodhi.zazen
April 24th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Hi, I lost my password for Ubuntu and read a tutorial on how to fix it and when it says enter new UNIX password I can not type anything, I can only press enter. This occurred before. TIA

LOL spykid

When you type the password you will not see any text on the screen. This is also true when you use sudo.

Boot to recovery mode. Enter the commnad:
passwd user_name

where user_name is the account you wish to change the password for ...

type you new password, hit the enter key ... repeat ...

The reboot and you should be good to go :)

jfinkels
April 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM
When you type your password, you won't see any characters on the screen! Just type your password in and press enter.

It's a little bit better this way, don't you think? It is now more difficult for somebody looking over your shoulder to learn the number of characters in your password.

ve3rpm
April 24th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Okay here is my post.
I'm 50. been playing with puters since sinclair brought out the z80 before timex bought them out. Played with DOS, binary, hex, octal, etc. 2 college diplomas in electronics, and finally shrugged off Mr. Gates.
I jump into linux convinced that anything is possible with the tools that are out where you people are. Crap what a misconception. Something as simple as using my zire 72 cause it's a current toy should be a snap. Can't get it to sync so I'll get a dongle and do it through blue-tooth. Oh well, that didn't work either. You see before the dongle I followed the palm threads and read what everyone else did to make it work and they are all different. It's really difficult to convince your circle of friends to leave the "MAN" and step out on your own when they see that there is trouble in paradise. Don't get me wrong, the concept is solid, and I won't revert, but at the end of the day, we just want our stuff to work. Each time, every time, with predictable results. that just isn't going to happen with linux. When I have issues with my ext HDD and linux tells me to do stuff through windows to fix it, I realise that it's an imperfect OS. GOD I want to believe. If the basics arerepeatable, I'll be thrilled, really!

dptxp
April 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I used to punch cards for ICL 1900 mainframe for my programs while doing my college days , written in Fortran IV, did not have to install OS, the Computer Deptt. took care. Started using PC in 1992, a 25 MHz 286 with 40 MB HDD,1 MB RAM & a VGA monochrome for $1000 !! Installed 3.1 from those disks by upgrading RAM to 4 MB for $100. Added a mouse for $30. Assembled and used 386, 486, Pentium, AMD 64. , and ran 95, 98, 98 SE, XP

When Ubuntu ran in one go on my laptop, I found the installation much simpler and faster than Windows. I ran Kubuntu, I ran Xubuntu.
But I am not still not able to run even the Live CD of Edgy, Feisty, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu on my desktop and do not have a clue.

Someone says Sempron 2500+ (BN) is not 64 bit (I tried 64 bit). The box in which it came and the part number when checked at AMD site scream that it is 64 bit. The CDs run till I see the mouse working, I do not think that a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit machine would go so far. I get a Gnome warning with Ubuntu, no warning with others (Kubuntu or Xubuntu). The CD just spins, spins, and spins making all sort of sounds.

I think that the 256 MB RAM (I reduced shared video to 32 MB) is the problem as the 32 bit Ubuntu ran live after giving the warning, took quite some time though. The 64 bit LIVE CD uses more RAM than 32 bit It needs more RAM, even the XFCE 4.4. This is my own conclusion, no mention anywhere. I shall try to make a SWAP partition with 32 bit, then see if the Live CD uses it. But may be it is VIA Chip sets with SATA HDD.

When I analyze I figure that many must have solved their problems by trial and error, or help through internet, and I am sure that any hardware changes if needed shall be better option than going for Vista. The moderators can extract useful information from the forums and pass on to the beginners team.

The problem is not that every user can or not install the OS, the problem is that the guy next door cannot do it for you.

BTW, Is not it odd that if MS Windows does not run, the user (or hardware) is the culprit. If Linux does not run, the OS is the culprit ?

007Bond
April 26th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Willing to join the team. Im somewhat new but know my way around and have solved almost all of my own problems out of guess work.

mozgreen
April 26th, 2007, 06:45 PM
After a lot of tweaking I managed to get Edgy to work with my tv card AND printer (epson dx6050 using gutenprint for dx4800). Since the 'upgrade' to Feisty, and a lot more tweaking, the printed does not work (recognised and gutenprint reinstalled via alien but job list says "Stopped: job-stopped" whatever I do.
My question is - how do I roll back to Edgy before my time and patience runs out? :mad:
The obviously simple thing to do would be to give it to the kids Windows machine and instal the driver off the cdrom...
Also - how do I start a new thread on this forum?:confused:

TorqueyPete
April 29th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Okay here is my post.
I'm 50. been playing with puters since sinclair brought out the z80 before timex bought them out. Played with DOS, binary, hex, octal, etc. 2 college diplomas in electronics, and finally shrugged off Mr. Gates.
I jump into linux convinced that anything is possible with the tools that are out where you people are. Crap what a misconception. Something as simple as using my zire 72 cause it's a current toy should be a snap. Can't get it to sync so I'll get a dongle and do it through blue-tooth. Oh well, that didn't work either. You see before the dongle I followed the palm threads and read what everyone else did to make it work and they are all different. It's really difficult to convince your circle of friends to leave the "MAN" and step out on your own when they see that there is trouble in paradise. Don't get me wrong, the concept is solid, and I won't revert, but at the end of the day, we just want our stuff to work. Each time, every time, with predictable results. that just isn't going to happen with linux. When I have issues with my ext HDD and linux tells me to do stuff through windows to fix it, I realise that it's an imperfect OS. GOD I want to believe. If the basics arerepeatable, I'll be thrilled, really!

I used to punch cards for ICL 1900 mainframe for my programs while doing my college days , written in Fortran IV, did not have to install OS, the Computer Deptt. took care. Started using PC in 1992, a 25 MHz 286 with 40 MB HDD,1 MB RAM & a VGA monochrome for $1000 !! Installed 3.1 from those disks by upgrading RAM to 4 MB for $100. Added a mouse for $30. Assembled and used 386, 486, Pentium, AMD 64. , and ran 95, 98, 98 SE, XP

When Ubuntu ran in one go on my laptop, I found the installation much simpler and faster than Windows. I ran Kubuntu, I ran Xubuntu.
But I am not still not able to run even the Live CD of Edgy, Feisty, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu on my desktop and do not have a clue.

Someone says Sempron 2500+ (BN) is not 64 bit (I tried 64 bit). The box in which it came and the part number when checked at AMD site scream that it is 64 bit. The CDs run till I see the mouse working, I do not think that a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit machine would go so far. I get a Gnome warning with Ubuntu, no warning with others (Kubuntu or Xubuntu). The CD just spins, spins, and spins making all sort of sounds.

I think that the 256 MB RAM (I reduced shared video to 32 MB) is the problem as the 32 bit Ubuntu ran live after giving the warning, took quite some time though. The 64 bit LIVE CD uses more RAM than 32 bit It needs more RAM, even the XFCE 4.4. This is my own conclusion, no mention anywhere. I shall try to make a SWAP partition with 32 bit, then see if the Live CD uses it. But may be it is VIA Chip sets with SATA HDD.

When I analyze I figure that many must have solved their problems by trial and error, or help through internet, and I am sure that any hardware changes if needed shall be better option than going for Vista. The moderators can extract useful information from the forums and pass on to the beginners team.

The problem is not that every user can or not install the OS, the problem is that the guy next door cannot do it for you.

BTW, Is not it odd that if MS Windows does not run, the user (or hardware) is the culprit. If Linux does not run, the OS is the culprit ?

That's all pretty disheartening stuff to read on a noobs forum guys. I understand the english, but not the tekky guff.
I know the basics of why my PC works, and can install a new memory stick or whatever. But the world is full of manual workers like me, who just need stuff to work. So, are you saying don't get Linux?
To be honest, I can't afford Microsoft's prices, when the home software costs more than a basic computer. And only moved up to XP when it started to get cheap on eBay.
Linux should surely be heaven sent for a world full of folks on below 'average' pay, and without comupter skills. :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to try it, and the Ubuntu download has just finished. So wish me luck. ;)

wilrecar77
April 30th, 2007, 02:20 AM
hello im a live cd ubuntu user and i like linux so far. the concept of a computer os on a small cd is awesome, so im trying other live cds. i have a damn small linux .iso and im going to burn it. so far cdburnerxp pro didnt work with burning .iso files in the past, so could someone point me to another one for windows. i really like linux and dont want to spend money or wait a long time for a free cd so this would be helpful. later im going to need a linux one so expect another post in june or so, because im going to get my moms laptop and im going to put linux on it. thanks.

jkblacker
April 30th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I used Infra Recorder (http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/) to burn my live cd, worked perfectly :)

dptxp
April 30th, 2007, 03:41 PM
That's all pretty disheartening stuff to read on a noobs forum guys. I understand the english, but not the tekky guff.
I know the basics of why my PC works, and can install a new memory stick or whatever. But the world is full of manual workers like me, who just need stuff to work. So, are you saying don't get Linux?
To be honest, I can't afford Microsoft's prices, when the home software costs more than a basic computer. And only moved up to XP when it started to get cheap on eBay.
Linux should surely be heaven sent for a world full of folks on below 'average' pay, and without comupter skills. :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to try it, and the Ubuntu download has just finished. So wish me luck. ;)

Please read the last lines of my post too.

My post was in response to the previous post, that too has been quoted by you.

The idea was to state that however good and experienced you have been, it takes time to get into a new system. And it is wrong to blame an OS if you are not yet familiar with it.

I faced problems, did not give up, and finally got through today with the ones I could see. With the help of the forum.

bodhi.zazen
April 30th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Okay here is my post.

LOL you two !

The Beginners team is here to help new users migrate to Linux. Linux has s number of advantages over Microsoft including a wide range of hardware support (Linux supports more hardware then Windows), security, and cost.

BUT ...

Linux/Ubuntu is not a drop in replacement for windows ...

AND ...

It takes time to migrate.

If you are having difficulty with hardware compatibility and Ubuntu, well there are other equally nice OS. Fedora, SUSE, Debian, Slackware, ...

New user friendly distros include :

Zenwalk (http://www.zenwalk.org/) Blag (http://www.blagblagblag.org/) Mepis (http://www.mepis.org/)

PCLinux (http://www.pclinuxonline.com/news.php) Sabayon (http://www.sabayonlinux.org/) ELive (http://www.elivecd.org/)

And my newest favorite distro Wolvix-hunter (http://wolvix.org/node/379)

The Ubuntu Fourms are the best. :cool:

And for OLDER HARDWARE take a look at DSL or Puppy. DSL runs on Everything and will give you baskic computing such as web browsing, e-mail, and word processing. Puppy has a few more features ...

ockron
May 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM
Never used Unix/Linux and thought I will Ubuntu a try on one of old PC's.

I have downloaded both Ubuntu and Xubuntu and created CD's to install it on my PC.

My problem is that both files seems to be corrupted. Ubuntu installs up to about 20% and then freezes.
Xubuntu does not go past the start page at all.

Please help a keen newbi

dunklegend
May 1st, 2007, 04:00 PM
I see that you're an Edgy user (6.10) why don't you try to download Feisty Fawn (7.04) I had used 6.04 and had some problems installing, now that Feisty was released I downloaded it and everything worked from the start, I didn't have one single problem.

Maybe I was just lucky but you should give 7.04 a try.

Good Luck

bobplano
May 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM
Never used Unix/Linux and thought I will Ubuntu a try on one of old PC's.

I have downloaded both Ubuntu and Xubuntu and created CD's to install it on my PC.

My problem is that both files seems to be corrupted. Ubuntu installs up to about 20% and then freezes.
Xubuntu does not go past the start page at all.

Please help a keen newbi

what speed did you burn at? you should check both the .iso and the cd for errors

thompa
May 3rd, 2007, 02:53 AM
Hi there,

Hoping for some help and guidance here. I also posted to the Networks forum but haven't received a single response... so here goes..

I loaded and used 6.06 for some trial and error and reloading and repartitioning. I could not get my HP printer to work with a home network and read that 7.04 was available. It was some time since installing 6.06 - and although I haven't needed to use the CLI since the install, the machine has been regularly used with applications.

I managed to install on the correct partition after downloading without a hitch.... but then the problems started. Although the printer was recognised straight away and this gave me confidence, nothing that I could do would connect my MN510 to the network.

'Help' advised to download certain programs from the Internet - I would if I could!

The problem seems to be that 7.04 doesn't detect the wireless connection and I probably need linux-wlan....

Can anyone advise how I can download this on a windows machine (sic) and compile and install this (I suppose that is necessary..) onto the Ubuntu machine?

In an earlier post, one of the 'beginner' team ruthlessly stated that the CLI was here to stay.. Well, to me it is a throwback to an earlier stage in computing history and a necessary evil. It is undoubtedly a quick way for doing certain things but I can't count the times that I have entered a command incorrectly. I made a complete mess of one installation by using CHMOD incorrectly when I couldn't get access to a file that was guarded needlessly by permissions. I use a computer to use the applications and as long as the operating system works efficiently, I am not too bothered how.

Just one aspect of Vista that I hate is all of the so-called 'added security'! I don't need it and it troubles me that Ubuntu is so tied up with 'permissions' in this way - there ought to be an easy way to set or not these encumbrances.

Allan

Charles1973
May 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Hi

I have just installed Ubuntu and before I start running around the internet I'd like to install a Firewall and a Anti-Virus software. I am a complete novice and some of the instructions are a bit beyond me. I tried AVG but when I downloaded the Linux compatiable software it said that I had the wrong Architecture. I'm not sure what this means what should I do? I also had a look at Bitdefender but couldnt workout how to download it.

I had a similar problem with Firestarter Firewall. I could find instructions on how to download the software but no link to the actual software itself. One of the instructions said type ap get Firestarter. I presume this was to be typed into the terminal application and it said permission was denied. What do I need to do to download Firestarter?

Also I tried to download Real Players and the software downloaded ok but then the Operating system said it didnt have any software to run the installation, do I need to download a patch of some sort?

My final question is on screen resolution the max I can get is 800x600 and in windows my screen has a higher resolution is there a patch software to boost the resolution to 1024x768.

Thanks for the help.

Charles

dptxp
May 3rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
First of all this is a wrong thread to post beginner's questions.
You will not get answers, people will not read.

You can perhaps change your screen resolution from desktop, I am on Xp desktop now.
It is in the menu.

I do not think you need antivirus software in Linux.

hessiess
May 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
installed ubuntu, it works fine until i boot xp. it muks up grub and the only way to fix this is to boot the live cd and reinsalll ubuntu. no problems wen i boot ubuntu, it reboots perfectly.

i will haft to uninstall ubuntu if i carnt fix this within afew days as the computer is used in lessons in school. i dont know enuf about it to work pualy in ubuntu yet, i hope to switch sometime becose xp is just so slow.

quinnten83
May 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Hello,

I have been trying to turn my desktop into a cube. I have followed instructions on this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341149&highlight=install+xgl) to install xgl/beryl. Can someone guide me to a page that has instructions for a noob to get the cube.

Thanks

Total Noob.

I just joined the forum, so forigve me if I am very late with a helpfull reply.

http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_feisty_beryl_ati_radeon

I tried this link today with the live CD on my Compaq 610c with an ATI radeon mobile card and it worked (at least some of it). I just couldn't completely figure out how to work it.
If you're using feisty, then you should have the cube effects allready installed.

cascader
May 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Ok . . . real basic question . . . hoping I am in the right forum.

I have made a few posts and have subscribed to threads before. Well, here I am two weeks later and I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it.

I have searched using search terms 'thread tools' and 'how to subscribe to thread', spent probably half an hour searching for this mysterious 'thread tools' functionality.

Either it is right in front of me and that obvious that I don't see it, or hidden behind a wall of user-friendly cruft.

Could someone lead this fool thru being able to subscribe to the post he is actually viewing ?

bodhi.zazen
May 6th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Ok . . . real basic question . . . hoping I am in the right forum.

I have made a few posts and have subscribed to threads before. Well, here I am two weeks later and I cannot for the life of me remember how I did it.

I have searched using search terms 'thread tools' and 'how to subscribe to thread', spent probably half an hour searching for this mysterious 'thread tools' functionality.

Either it is right in front of me and that obvious that I don't see it, or hidden behind a wall of user-friendly cruft.

Could someone lead this fool thru being able to subscribe to the post he is actually viewing ?

1. When you post to a thread there is a box at the bottom "Thread Subscription". Select your preference in the pull down list.

2. To manage your subscriptions , log in. Under "user CP" select "Subscribed Threads" and then "View ALL". This is where you can manage or unsubscribe to threads you have subscribed to via #1 (posting).

3. I do not know a way to subscribe to a thread if you have not posted. ? set a bookmark

OSseeker
May 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I am looking for a OS that I can write HTML and do graphics (photographs and web), I also want to do videos for fun. Microsoft made there OS's to intrusive and I want out.
I have downloaded a copy of Ubuntu Christian. It loads up and the disk tests good. when I go to install them they run a few minuets and stall. The little orange slider in the bar stops. I know the CD Rom reads, because I just loaded Fedora core 6. That was before I learned of Ubuntu. I am running a intel i440BX MoBo with a P2 @450mh processor. Any Ideas?? Anyone that wants to can email me @ isx.tns@gmail.com.

Arjunus
May 6th, 2007, 05:23 PM
a beginner guide wiki is an awesum idea! it would really help newbies like myself learn ubuntu better. good luck with the beginner team:) may the force of open source be with you...

bobplano
May 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM
3. I do not know a way to subscribe to a thread if you have not posted. ? set a bookmark

there is an option called thread tools near the top of the thread. click on it then choose subscribe to this thread

bodhi.zazen
May 6th, 2007, 05:45 PM
there is an option called thread tools near the top of the thread. click on it then choose subscribe to this thread

yes, but you still do not have the option to subscribe to the thread unless you have posted in the thread :)

bobplano
May 6th, 2007, 06:03 PM
you can't? i do that whenever i come across an interesting thread, but i don't have a clue to the answer

bjørnar
May 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
hi all im an new Ubuntu linux user here, and using ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn, and is quite happy about swishing to linux, my laptop did get slower by 4 weeks with windows, and after 5 weeks i allways got that blue schreen of death, but now i gona use ubuntu forever i think

Xaimas
May 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu too...

I must say i am very impressed, it is much better than Windows in many ways, i believe this will become my primary OS from now on :)

godssiren
May 8th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Hello all,

I have been looking into running a dist. of Linux for some time, but never had the time to figure out the details until recently. I found a great deal of informaiton on this site and others, including a pretty decent walk through I found written up by some people over at :

www.linux.org/lessons (http://www.linux.org/lessons/)

I have only read through the beginners lesson, but it seemed really well explained, and although it doesn't go over everything or every distribution, it really helped me to get a handle on some of the basic ideas behind the whole system, and gave instructions on how to get running what I'd really like to do with my new OS for a start. (ie Mail, Files, Music, Internet, Word Processing, Other Fun Applications etc)

The writer used a Debian install as the basis for his examples, and as I understand, Ubuntu is a derivative of the Debian system. Will all the commands he used in his examples for Debian work in the command line for Ubuntu? Or is it different enough to make a difference? **I haven't had a chance to actually DL and install Ubuntu yet, that comes this weekend**

I know he talks about the basics in the "black text box", as well as having a GUI (graphics user interface) and suggests several. That is acutally where I found the Ubuntu site. ^_^

Anyhoo, Glad to be here, and I just wish I'd been paying attention to my friends in High School when they told me how great an OS Linux was and they offered to teach me. Now that they've all moved away is when I gain interest. LOL >_<

kkanalz
May 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
As an immigrant from Windows XP to Ubuntu [I]Linux[I], I'd like to see your approach to solving that long list of problems when transitioning from Windows to Linux! I've found lots and LOTS of documentation on many of your list of topics, but not all in one place in a single "tutorial" sort of presentation. It would be nice to have it all in one place.

I'm just getting started with Ubuntu 6.06 ("Dapper Drake"), so I'm cutting my teeth, so-to-speak, on EVERY topic you mentioned!

If I had your knowledge, I'd just start writing the tutorial (for lack of a better term) and then post it somewhere within the Ubuntu Forums Group and then let the whole world know about it, especially the noobs (like me).

Thanks for your kind offer!

Karl K.
McKinney, Texas

bodhi.zazen
May 8th, 2007, 10:38 PM
As an immigrant from Windows XP to Ubuntu [I]Linux[I], I'd like to see your approach to solving that long list of problems when transitioning from Windows to Linux! I've found lots and LOTS of documentation on many of your list of topics, but not all in one place in a single "tutorial" sort of presentation. It would be nice to have it all in one place.

I'm just getting started with Ubuntu 6.06 ("Dapper Drake"), so I'm cutting my teeth, so-to-speak, on EVERY topic you mentioned!

If I had your knowledge, I'd just start writing the tutorial (for lack of a better term) and then post it somewhere within the Ubuntu Forums Group and then let the whole world know about it, especially the noobs (like me).

Thanks for your kind offer!

Karl K.
McKinney, Texas

Well, this is not a bad start :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

godssiren
May 8th, 2007, 10:38 PM
It's really difficult to convince your circle of friends to leave the "MAN" and step out on your own when they see that there is trouble in paradise. Don't get me wrong, the concept is solid, and I won't revert, but at the end of the day, we just want our stuff to work. Each time, every time, with predictable results. that just isn't going to happen with linux. When I have issues with my ext HDD and linux tells me to do stuff through windows to fix it, I realise that it's an imperfect OS. GOD I want to believe. If the basics arerepeatable, I'll be thrilled, really!

You're right that no Dist of Linux, or any other OS for that matter, is a perfect OS.

However, I've heard more complaints about Windows than I ever heard about our Linux server. Most people who run windows however, don't think of it as having an alternative, so they just think of it as somthing they have to live with.

Which OS you like better just depends on your preferences. And many linux distributions have shown to be more stable, as well as being more customizable for people who want something specific out of their machines than Windows. But from what I've heard, dist like Ubuntu can also work right out of the box for some people (usually mainstream computers, which is what most "make it work" Windows users have).

ender-r
May 9th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I have been trying out ubuntu 6.06 booting from the cd and have liked it except for one thing. I am running on a powerbook G4 with the PPC version and have a airport express wifi card. I have been trying to find how/where to enable it while on ubuntu and have not been able to. If I am going to use ubuntu this is critical. How can I make the wifi work

godssiren
May 9th, 2007, 01:15 AM
have you tried the link that they have on the W.O.W. website. They don't expressly support it themselves, but I did find a link someone suggested in the Forums about running on Linux As I am a player myself and was wondering if I would still need to keep one of my 3 computers a windows box. Let me know if it helps. I am really new to all this as far as practical experience goes, and I'll be trying to get it to run on my computer so i can play without windows. ^_^

dptxp
May 9th, 2007, 08:20 AM

Karl K.
McKinney, Texas

Some are already doing it. One site is

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

Even I plan to do so.

cascader
May 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Good suggestion, kkanalz (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=293294) . . .

Why don't you do it. Write a story about your experiences and post it as a thread. Or just record the raw data of what happened and what you did about it. Anything . . .

Why are you installing 'Dapper Drake' ? Why are you not installing 'Feisty Fawn' ?

My experience of going through the last few upgrades has been getting better all the time. Edgy found my wireless no problems. My Feisty upgraded LapTop lost my wireless but either my skills have improved or Feistys improved, the network I found easily . . .

Then again, if you think it might become yet another tutorial in yet a different place - why bother ? These and other questions will be revealed over time . . .

But seriously, it is a great idea, and within this Ubuntu forum paradigm is there any better place. I see there are a couple of links posted to possible transitional tutorial, heres hoping . . . I always seem to find the answer to my problems by a mixture of posting the problem, researching the problem, persistence persistence persistence . . . My main problem at the moment is that I have too much work on and I want my Linux box to more or less be functioning out of the box . . . I just spent a day getting my HP printer going on my Edgy box - a day I could have more productively spent eking out an existence . . . Anyway, I posted the solution and I hope others within the community might benefit from my doing so. Now, if I could only remember where . . .

shajilr
May 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I am new on Ubantu switching from Windows. I need help. I have Ubantu 6.06 tried to install it goes through installing Kernel and gothrough several steps like checking hardware and stuff. But nothing woul come up it stays on the blank screen for ever. I tried to reboot it with Live CD. tried everything I know.
No luck installing ubantu from the live CD. I must admit this is an older computer with Intel celeron and 128 mb Ram and 70 gig memory.
Is this problem beacuse it is not recoganizing the hardware. Looks like it is not installing the Ubantu in the system for some reason.

Please answer this for me

Thank you very much
Shajilr

bodhi.zazen
May 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I am new on Ubantu switching from Windows. I need help. I have Ubantu 6.06 tried to install it goes through installing Kernel and gothrough several steps like checking hardware and stuff. But nothing woul come up it stays on the blank screen for ever. I tried to reboot it with Live CD. tried everything I know.
No luck installing ubantu from the live CD. I must admit this is an older computer with Intel celeron and 128 mb Ram and 70 gig memory.
Is this problem beacuse it is not recoganizing the hardware. Looks like it is not installing the Ubantu in the system for some reason.

Please answer this for me

Thank you very much
Shajilr

You need more RAM.

You might be able to boot Ubutnu if you boot a live CD and prep the HD, make a swap partition size =512 Mb.

Lots of options, I suggest you try gparted as it should boot and should have all the tools you need.

GParted:

Documentation: Documentation (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php)

Download: [http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gparted/gparted-livecd-0.3.4-6.iso]Download Gparted[/url]

Adie Stuart
May 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Excellent, i am a complete novice to Linux, only having downloaded and installed Ubuntu yesterday. The learning curve for this OS is very steep indeed, but looking forward to it :)

6Realms
May 13th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Your not as new as "you think","you feel". I've, steadily installed my 2nd internal HD and yesterday received my "NEW" Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn CD. So what's my problem? FEAR!!!!!, Total FEAR ! You're way more ahead than you think you are. Don't stop or slow down right now, cause I'm in mid air, jumping in!:roll:

rf79756
May 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a total linux noob and will be installing ubuntu 7.04 next week. My main rig is going downhill fast and I was thinking of a new build with linux/grub on one drive and winxp x64 on another drive. My question is, can I transfer files back and forth or would it be better to have them on one drive with their own partitions?

cheers

rf79756

New sys specs:

asus p5w dh w/ 4gb ddr2 6400
e6600
evga 8800gts 640mb
2 x seagate 320mb sata hd
2 x 74 gb raptors sata hd
1 wd 80 gb ide
2 x plextor dvd dl rw

vdub03
May 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
help me. i have no idea what i'm doing here. i think i'm hurting this program more than i'm doing good. i have no idea how to do anything here other than hook up my lan cable and use the internet. my friend who is a computer geek hooked me up with this and beryl. but my wireless dosn't work beryl just goes to a white screen and i can't rotate the cube whatsoever. please help i'm about to through my laptop across the room

sheltermoer
May 14th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Hi all
I have just install Ubuntu 7.4 yesterday. I never understand Linux before. The result, my ubuntu can't detect all driver.
As information, my notebook is Fujitsu A6020 with supported Win Vista. I use it for office work, of course I need desktop.
I just wanna try Linux, and understand it. I have ask my friend, but not clearly. I hope in this forum I can get more support.
Thanks

warpedreality
May 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for this thread folks...

Prepare for the questions barrage :) :D

leras
May 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
hi iam new i have just put ubuntu in my pc native and iam trying form scratch to make ubuntu the first os replacement for my pc
so my name is leras and iam very hapy beeing meber of ubuntu forums
i believe that comuniny will help
i want to thank you all for trying to make ubuntu the windows replacement

detprob
May 17th, 2007, 01:03 AM

Obtain and boot Ubuntu.
Install Ubuntu.
Transition into Ubuntu.

New users :

First, welcome to Ubuutu.

The Beginner Team is here to guide you, help you become familiar with a your new OS and the Ubuntu community.

Specific support questions are best directed to the Absolute Beginner Talk , General Help, or specific Main Support Categories. Within those forums you will receive assistance not only from the Beginners Team, but the Ubuntu Community as a whole.

If you have questions on how to use the Ubuntu forums, your user profile, PM, how to find the information you need quickly, how to become involved, etc feel free to post them in our sub-forum. Beginner Team (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=215)

If you are interested in helping with the Beginner Team, please feel free to share you ideas with us on our sub-forum Beginner Team (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=215). If you are interested in joining the Beginners team it would be most helpful for you to start by becoming active on Absolute Beginner Talk (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73).

Joining the team :

Well, to some extent, if you are active on the forums you are a part of the team. You are welcome to send me a join request, but please include as much specific information as possible with your request.

To those who have submitted a join request, please be patient. The Beginners Team is just starting and there is a strong general interest from within the Ubuntu community. It is my intent to build a knowledgeable and stable team. I anticipate the team will be both large and diverse, but it will take time to coordinate and develop.

~ Comments welcome ~

Peace be with you,

bodhi.zazen ~ Beginner Team Leader

any one can gives me some help

detprob
May 17th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I need some help with amsn

detprob
May 17th, 2007, 01:09 AM
It has been over a week that I am trying to setup amsn and it won't work.

First, how do I compile the following:

To do so, you must first configure the package by executing the command
> ./configure
You must have the tcl-dev and tk-dev packages installed on your system, please refer to your system package management software or website in order to find these packages and to install them prior to running the ./configure script.
Once the configure script finished without any error, you can proceed with the compilation,

I downloaded this package and it won't work :

/home/serge/Desktop/amsn_0.97b_tcl0.95.deb

DaveyG
May 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM
It has been over a week that I am trying to setup amsn and it won't work.

First, how do I compile the following:

To do so, you must first configure the package by executing the command
> ./configure
You must have the tcl-dev and tk-dev packages installed on your system, please refer to your system package management software or website in order to find these packages and to install them prior to running the ./configure script.
Once the configure script finished without any error, you can proceed with the compilation,

I downloaded this package and it won't work :

/home/serge/Desktop/amsn_0.97b_tcl0.95.deb

umm.... why dont you install aMSN via the package manager then run the Update manager to get the latest version?.... thats how i done it when i was using Dapper

Davey

rkky
May 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Im relatively new to Ubuntu and i gotta say, its pretty much amazing. I can see why it wouldnt be for everyone, but I love it. Like i said im new to Ubuntu, but im not new with computers. I currently have the A+ certification, but that doesn't mean anything here. Well thats i think enough introduction. Heres my problem;

I was attempting to install some dreaded wireless PC Card drivers using NDSwrapper and in the command prompt i noticed that i didnt have full access to some folders. I figured out that there was another user called root so i went to the Users & Groups and i guess i meddled too much with the accounts. Now when i try to sign on it says:

User's $HOME/.drmc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.

It appears after i try logging in and the only thing i can do is a command prompt. Please help! I've configured my Ubuntu too much to start over, and i hate to admit i would probably be too lazy to start over.

Squid_blk
May 19th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I am a newbie of just over a week ago. I needed to build myself a new computer and a friend who is a Linux user of all types and a tinkerer said to consider Ubuntu. So got me a book, Beginning Ubuntu, and eventually got my new computer built. I recently added Moving to Ubuntu and Ubuntu Hacks in the shelf. I got Feisty Fawn installed and it went fine. Installed the flashplayer plugin for Firefox and got Java Runtime and plugin installed. I have been using Quicken so long that I could not live without it so I got Wine installed and my older version of Quicken installed. Everything works great. I have been using OpenOffice for a few years now so have been familiar with that.

The only hangup I have is that I cannot stream some of my local radio stations because they only use Windows Media Player and my Sirius online player does not work because it requires Shockwave plugin. But I have managed to install some Internet Explorers. They work but they are a bit shakey. I am told Shockwave and Winplayer will work on them. Even if they do not work my work laptop can handle it.

So far Ubuntu is awesome. It is stable and runs my system fast. I still need to learn more about the file structure and some of the commands and such but I can say that I could not have made the move without the books. I am glad I made the move. I am even considering donating to the cause. The value is amazing. Keep up the good work guys and maybe Adobe will support Shockwave for Linux and more folks will stop being IE specific with their sites. I am in the Linux world and I am liking it. Good times ahead.

aleo1203
May 19th, 2007, 04:33 AM
I've been advised about ubuntu before and I understand the freedom and cost efficiency it can offer. But, as made evident by all the posts, there seem to be a great deal of kinks. Is it worth it?

Ionic_man
May 19th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I have a 64bit AMD chip and would like to get skype running. Task looks daunting and leads to the next question of how compatible ubunto and debian are. Should I be ablt to load Debian programmes onto Ubuntu?

Best regards

dptxp
May 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I've been advised about ubuntu before and I understand the freedom and cost efficiency it can offer. But, as made evident by all the posts, there seem to be a great deal of kinks. Is it worth it?

It is a new road. I am now walking on it. Install and try.
It was worth it for me, even my kids boot with Ubuntu on their desktop.
If you follow procedures, you may have a very smooth installation.

edunagin
May 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hello all. I just installed Ubuntustudio on a VM and am poking around.

I must say the default color sceme is great and the fonts are exceptional.

My main system is openSUSE10.2 with kernel 2.6.18-smp. I have been using SUSE for about 1.5 years and linux(all flavors) for over 10 years.

So now a couple of questions.

1. Is there a Ubuntustudioa forum?

2. Are there any problems if i change to a Vanilla Kernel withing Ubuntustudio?

3, What happens, to the bottom of the screen, when I add more terminal? Do they just keep stacking up or is there another device I should use, like stacks of desktops as in KDE?( I have about 8 now)

4. Can I switch to KDE and drop Gnome, if so how?

Responses will be appreciated.

Oh, one more. I am subscribed to this forum. Do messages come to my email box?

Peace.........................ed

edunagin
May 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Im relatively new to Ubuntu and i gotta say, its pretty much amazing. I can see why it wouldnt be for everyone, but I love it. Like i said im new to Ubuntu, but im not new with computers. I currently have the A+ certification, but that doesn't mean anything here. Well thats i think enough introduction. Heres my problem;

I was attempting to install some dreaded wireless PC Card drivers using NDSwrapper and in the command prompt i noticed that i didnt have full access to some folders. I figured out that there was another user called root so i went to the Users & Groups and i guess i meddled too much with the accounts. Now when i try to sign on it says:

User's $HOME/.drmc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.

It appears after i try logging in and the only thing i can do is a command prompt. Please help! I've configured my Ubuntu too much to start over, and i hate to admit i would probably be too lazy to start over.

It seems that Ubuntu does not set up a root user. So what one must do is use the sudo command. Look it up in the man page.
sudo works thusly,

sudo nano file name
then you will get a request for the password. so then put your user password in.

Hope this helps.......................Peace.........ed

Squid_blk
May 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM
"I've been advised about ubuntu before and I understand the freedom and cost efficiency it can offer. But, as made evident by all the posts, there seem to be a great deal of kinks. Is it worth it?"

I would have to reply that it depends on what you want to do with your computer and why you want to be in the Linux world. I started way back with 8-bit and 16-bit Atari systems. Then had a couple Macs for a few years and have been in the PC world for about 10 years now. Learning Linux is different and challenging. But check out the documentation. There is good stuff out there. A $40 book can and will make all the difference. When I went to my local B&N store there was one book for Ubuntu. In the last month or so more have come out. I counted 9 the last time I was there and there was another one that has been out of stock for a while. So that is like 10 books and more than the other distros. I say to all newbies like myself. Read the books and use the internet resources. They help trust me.

I read and played before I made the move and I have had no issues so far. I am installing things from the terminal from the manager, mounting CDs and doing things I did not think I would be doing. So read on all and make the move.

El_Quintron
May 21st, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hi there,

I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 on an iBook G4, and I was just wondering about the trackpad, when I on 6.06 it was completely unresponsive and now on this version it's over-active, I've tried tweaking the settings and it's not really doing much are there drivers or a forum where this has already been addressed? I've searched under 'trackpad' but I'm not finding much.

Any suggestions you guys have would be much appreciated.

--sinner--
May 22nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
hello there all, i'm as beginner as they come unfortunetly. i have a copy of ubuntu 7.04, i whacked it into my laptop to try run the live version, only to be left with a black screen when the graphic interface tries to load? now i quickly scanned around the forums last night, found a few hints( how to get into text based interface, and how to edit the xorg) but after that, there seem to be many many approaches, from changing the video device driver from 'ATI' to 'vesa' to adding HoriSync and VertRefresh to the monitor section, unfortunetly these numbers vary dramatically. i've tried all sorts of different combinations, the best result i can get is when i add the 'vesa' and the horisync 36-52 and vertrefresh rates at 36-60. then when i try switch, i get a quick flash of colour lol, THATS IT!! maybe one of you experianced people would care to help a poor little noob out :P

im running a centrino processor, i have a gig of ddr ram, a 128mb ati mobility radeon x700xl

heeeeeeeelp, i want to get away from the bill gates monopoly, and apparently this new version of ubuntu is pretty user friendly, but i need to get the thing to boot first!

thanks for your time :)

KillerKlown
May 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
i'm really new, just heard about the book, i've playing with ubuntu for about 3 months...i went to 7.04, (i had 6.06, and 6.10 for a minute)...the spinning cube desktop, i love it!, (then i break it..beryl don't like updates)...but i'm gonna give that a rest till its better, and start to work on getting the TV, the phone, the media player to work, first... ubuntu is SO CLOSE to turning microsquish into a third world country, it just sick!!.....how ever... if i cant even understand how get the TV to work, (i know i'm an idiot, but bear with me for a second) it will be very hard for ppl who DON'T have time to play around all the time, to make the switch..when i get some of these error messages, i'm like "huh??......oh no...what's that mean?"

but i'm not giving up! i'll just keep my Trojan infested xp on the other hard-drive, till i get ubuntu all flawlessed up.

nepheal
May 23rd, 2007, 06:10 AM
Alrighty... So if you haven't guessed I'm about as new as a young babe to Ubuntu, and as I'm sure you're also going to see / point out is a thread that I haven't seen. true enough, I've had a quick glance and haven't come to see the area that I've needed. Anyway, I'll get to the point then.

As it stands I just installed Ubuntu 7.04 (i think) to my computer, on a 250 GB HDD partitioned previously with win XP home to be 50 GB / 200 GB. I usually use the 50 GB partition for random attempts of going outside what I know, in this instance, Ubuntu. So anyway, I loaded the 50 GB partition with Ubuntu as I belive jfs and the other 200 GB partition as a swap drive. All looked ok to me, but when I loaded up my computer, low and behold I couldn't access my 200 GB partition. Any help towards what's probably a very simple issue? Thanks :)

bodhi.zazen
May 23rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Alrighty... So if you haven't guessed I'm about as new as a young babe to Ubuntu, and as I'm sure you're also going to see / point out is a thread that I haven't seen. true enough, I've had a quick glance and haven't come to see the area that I've needed. Anyway, I'll get to the point then.

As it stands I just installed Ubuntu 7.04 (i think) to my computer, on a 250 GB HDD partitioned previously with win XP home to be 50 GB / 200 GB. I usually use the 50 GB partition for random attempts of going outside what I know, in this instance, Ubuntu. So anyway, I loaded the 50 GB partition with Ubuntu as I belive jfs and the other 200 GB partition as a swap drive. All looked ok to me, but when I loaded up my computer, low and behold I couldn't access my 200 GB partition. Any help towards what's probably a very simple issue? Thanks :)

:lolflag:

I hope you did not format the 200 Gb as "swap".

Open a terminal and type :
sudo fdisk -l

Continue this with a new thread on the forums, post the output of the above command ....

Flump5000
May 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM
i just installed ubuntu permanently on my pc yesterday so im going to probably need lots of help

jerrylamos
May 24th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I've been replying to threads using "New Posts" which gets a lot of forums since beginners appear to post on a variety of forums, in some cases pretty sure my hints have helped.

I started with Dapper Beta (great release!) and have been proceeding thru 6.06 LTS, 6.06.1, 6.10, 7.04 Alpha and Beta and Release, and gradually upgrading to Gutsy. This is a quad boot system with *******, Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy partial upgrade. I like to have a version that works to fall back on!

7.04 gave/gives me lots of experience trying to cope with bugs (!) see my post "Workarounds" on "Installation & Upgrades" which gives me a base for trying to help people.

So if there's an "official" team to join I'd like to; in any case it's a goal to get more users onto Linux.

Cheers, Jerry;)

sarah kuhr
May 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM
hey there, I AM ALSO A NEWBY. I HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE WITH WINDOWS OVER THE YEARS THAT I GOT FED UP. I AM JUST NOW LEARNING ABOUT UBUNTU. MY SON, THE COMPUTER GENIUS, SAYS IT IS GOOD TO START WITH. HE USES DEBIAN. I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS STARTING TO LEARN HOW TO USE DOS AND LATER WINDOWS, THAT THERE WERE THINGS WE HAD TO LEARN AND ADJUST OURSELVES TO. I GUESS IT IS THE SAME NOW. ONCE I LEARN WHAT TO DO I WILL FEEL BETTER. UBUNTU IS A LOT MORE STABLE THAN WINDOWS HERE. I AM NOT IN THE USA. I WANT TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO KEEP TRYING. I THINK THAT AS WINDOWS BECOMES MORE AND MORE UNSTABLE ( MY LEGAL COPY OF WINDOWS XP HOME THAT CAME WITH MY THEN NEW COMPUTER THREE YEARS AGO, CRASHED ONCE A MONTH EVEN WITH THE SERVICE PACKAGES. IT ALSO RESTRICTED WHAT I COULD AND COULDN'T DOWNLOAD.) MORE PEOPLE WILL GO OVER TO LINUX IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER. I HAVE NO TROUBLE WITH UBUNTU. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ALWAYS. I AM LEARNING AS I GO ALONG. WE HAVE A LINUX CLUB NEARBY THAT MEETS ONCE A MONTH AT AN INTERNET CAFE. I DON'T ALWAYS GO BUT I AM ON THEIR MAILING LIST. MAYBE THERE IS ONE NEAR YOU TOO. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP LEARNING.

shaunigo
May 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I've been replying to threads using "New Posts" which gets a lot of forums since beginners appear to post on a variety of forums, in some cases pretty sure my hints have helped.

I started with Dapper Beta (great release!) and have been proceeding thru 6.06 LTS, 6.06.1, 6.10, 7.04 Alpha and Beta and Release, and gradually upgrading to Gutsy. This is a quad boot system with *******, Edgy, Feisty, and Gutsy partial upgrade. I like to have a version that works to fall back on!

7.04 gave/gives me lots of experience trying to cope with bugs (!) see my post "Workarounds" on "Installation & Upgrades" which gives me a base for trying to help people.

So if there's an "official" team to join I'd like to; in any case it's a goal to get more users onto Linux.

Cheers, Jerry;)

I tended to find the information her on the bugs www.lost.eu/4bc4f in the mean time enjoy my list of oven baking history ^^.

Easy-Bake has been making the sweetest memories for over 35 years. Here’s a historical look at some of the classic brand’s milestones:

* 1963: The Easy-Bake Oven was "born" at Kenner. After its "official" introduction at Toy Fair in February 1964, more than 500,000 units were sold in its first year. The original retail price was approximately $15.99.

* 1965 - 1967: More than two million units were sold by the mid-60s as "Easy-Bake" became a household word in the United States. Easy-Bake brand snack mixes were also sold, and television advertising expanded to all three networks and 130 local markets. Line extensions during this era included the highly popular Easy-Pop Corn Popper, the Easy-Bake Bubble-Gum set, the Easy-Bake Birthday Cake and Party Set, and the Easy-Bake Mix and Make-A-Gift Set.

* 1968: The Easy-Bake brand celebrated its fifth birthday and was recognized by Kenner as "the greatest selling girl’s toy since dolls." Often at the top of the charts, Easy-Bake Oven’s total sales topped three million units. The Easy-Bake Oven was available in blue and yellow, and the Easy-Bake Slide-Thru Baking Pans were available for the first time.

* 1970: Kenner continued to expand the Easy-Bake line in the 1970s with new products and bake sets. The new Super Easy-Bake Oven baked cakes up to twice as big as the original Easy-Bake Oven. The oven included a working 20-minute timer, a temperature control and a warming oven.

* 1975 - 1979: New Easy-Bake products included a potato chip maker, blender/juicer and taffy machine. With these exciting new products, kids could make an even wider variety of their favorite snacks. Sales of these Easy-Bake toys exceeded half a million units.

* 1981: The Easy-Bake brand entered the "hi-tech" era as the Easy-Bake Mini-Wave Oven made its debut. The sleek, contemporary orange, white and brown oven used one 100-watt bulb, two slide-thru baking pans, a pan pusher and tasty mixes. New mixes for the ‘80s included the Easy-Bake Brownie & Cookie Set, the Easy-Bake Cake & Frosting Set, the Easy-Bake Deluxe Baking Set and a Strawberry Shortcake® bake set.

blisterj
May 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Hi i can say that i am a true newbie to Linux but not to computers as a whole, got a bit sick of the restrictions of
windows XP (lisences for this and that )and followed a thread to you tube and was amazed at Ubuntu video beryl vs vista Blew Me Socks of! This has got to be the future of the OS as we no it today.
im still not sure quite how Linux functions as an OS or some of the key commands used to run it but i played around with slax boot cd and loved it so now Im downloading Ubuntu as we speak sorry to go on a bit but im running a laptop with 256 ddr2 Celeron M 1.40Ghz 40 gig hdd 2 partitions intel mobile graphics can i run berly and Ubuntu with these lowly specs also im cable free running a atheros 5005g wifi card can iget drivers for these
and install to secondary partition i.e E: drive ?

dptxp
May 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
No, you cannot run Beryl.

Beryl anyway is not stable yet, I do not use with even 512 DDR2. 256 MB is low even for installing Ubuntu.

Partition with GParted Live CD and make a SWAP partition of 2 GB at end of hard disk before trying to install if you do not want to waste time.

Even live CD can give problems, if 64 MB out of 256 is shared video RAM.

And DO NOT try to delete the SWAP partition during install. You shall not be able to install.

cethink
May 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Dear All, I'm from Indonesia, south east asia archipelago. 2 weeks later the Ubuntu CD's from ship-it arrived, and no more time I've install it in my computer. This is my first experiance with linux. And today is the first day I work with linux along my day. I prepared Finance Report with OpenOffice Calc, and print it use i580 canon driver. Linux is so experts in services all kind of hardware.

And Ubuntu gives me a new point of view about Operating System, I learn to use apt-get , this is the amazing thing's from Ubuntu ;)

As newbie I needs more help from all the forum member's, sory if my english worth. Nice to join this forum...

Old Jimma
May 29th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Hi Bodhi:

Hey! How are you? You helped me several months ago to make Dapper do a static IP thing. I was very grateful!

I saw you were starting the beginner team. I thought that I must be sort of the quintessential beginner and should join the team... I wondered what I could contribute. Well, in the 1.25 years of being an Ubuntu devote, I've had to reinstall Ubuntu many times, like a beginner, and have had to do many of the tasks a beginner might want to do... alot!!! So, Bodhi... how can I help you??

I've got a list of things that I'd suggest for beginners. Here it is:

1. Buy an external hard drive for making back-ups and use it every two weeks or so. When the time comes, you'd be glad you did this. (Bet on using it!)

2. Besides putting your personal files on the back-up, consider exporting your Thunderbird address list to it, also!

3. Also, export your Firefox bookmarks to the back-up!

4. Here is a list of sofware that beginners will probably want:
THunderbird, amarok, gxine, K3b, xmms. To get these go to applications > add/remove and check the boxes under the sound tab.

5. Beginners will want to play restricted formats. Have a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats and follow directions!

6. add flash to firefox. This is easy, but maybe somebody else should explain how to do this. My way is kinda wierd, but it works.

Bodhi... lemme know how I can help you. You are doing a really good thing!

Best regards,
Phil Smith
Duluth, GA

TwistesdTexan
May 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Welcome aboard Cethink. It's great to have you as a fellow member.

cethink
May 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Welcome aboard Cethink. It's great to have you as a fellow member.

Thank You, nice to join this forum and nice to have Ubuntu as my PC OS... ;)

clickonlineprem
May 30th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hi All..

My name is Prem...I am from India....I'm an absolute beginner to Linux...Currently I'm using windows...I wanna move from windows to Linux :D ...I think ubuntu is the best start for any beginners like me...I wanna know which version of ubuntu shall i start with...

Currently i don't have internet connection :( ...But i am planning to get it soon....

I checked that the official ubuntu OS didn't support (Pre-loaded) multimedia files like mp3 & stuff like that....Bcoz i don't have internet connection i can't install the codec pakages from internet....

Then i heard abt ubuntu ultimate edition....which has all preloaded stuff....

I just wanna know shall i install ubuntu untimate edition...or the official ubuntu version of OS...

Thanks one & all......:p :D :p

bodhi.zazen
May 30th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Ubuntu Studio : http://ubuntustudio.com/

JeremyG
May 30th, 2007, 01:29 AM
im so new its crazy i downloaded the ubuntu, i guess you could say demo, that allows me to boot either ubuntu or windows however i can't make it work for me the way i would like to being so new i will need lots of help. the first thing i would like to do is figure out how to make my work space a rotating cube like i saw at a friends home any input let me know . ps is the water effects thing part of beyrl

Lone14
May 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Hi, everyone! I'm from Mississippi, US and this is my first experience with Linux. I ordered a couple discs from the site, bought a beginner's guide to Ubuntu and loaded it up for the first time last night.

I'm about to become a college student, and I'm considering something in computer technology as a career, so I figured I'd score brownie points if I had some form of Linux under my belt.

As of now, I have Ubuntu on a partitioned drive along with XP on a Vaio laptop, which I would like to use mainly for media/gaming. I'm also looking into how to mix electronic music using my laptop, but haven't been able to learn very much quite yet. I love IDM, breakbeat and music of that sort, and it's been an ambition of mine for a while to learn how to make my own music like that.

I have a very small handle on how to use the BASH shell, but I'm getting the hang of it. I still need help with learning how to use things like WINE, and eye-candy stuff like Beryl, so any help is appreciated!

I may not know a great deal about Linux as of now, but I know I'm already enjoying the experience. Shells are friggin' cool.

Mazza558
May 31st, 2007, 05:27 PM
im so new its crazy i downloaded the ubuntu, i guess you could say demo, that allows me to boot either ubuntu or windows however i can't make it work for me the way i would like to being so new i will need lots of help. the first thing i would like to do is figure out how to make my work space a rotating cube like i saw at a friends home any input let me know . ps is the water effects thing part of beyrl

To get the cube working, go to System > Administration > Desktop Effects - Tick both boxes, then if all is well, hold CTRL + ALT and drag your mouse to view the cube. The water effect is availabe on Beryl but as an extra that you can't get from the CD.

northicert
May 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM
I finally got Ubuntu 7.04 running on a live cd. Had major headache with belkin wireless card at first but now I'm using web. I've made several postings with good responses. I've read many threads on booting with two operating systems. The kicker is more than half complain about windows XP problems after they install Ubuntu. I have 2 hard drives on board and would like to install to the empty drive but don't want to spend forever getting windows to work again. I have a preinstalled version of windows and no cd to get back to present setup. Some people prefer GRUB on the linux drive others say put it on the MS drive. I'd like to have the 2 drives to maintain there own independence. Thanks...

Mnew2Linux
June 2nd, 2007, 05:09 AM
Are there any threads in the forum relating to Beryl and how to get the cube firing up? I have been having trouble...first I downloaded the beryl files for edgy but I'm a feisty user and so I updated that and now I'm good to hook...however, I don't have the well known cube though the selections are selected. I have the standard 4 workspaces and I was able to switch between them with my middle scroll button on my mouse but now I have nothing. Also, I have 2 Beryl settings managers in system tools...how can I get rid of them? Would it be best if I just uninstalled and reinstalled beryl? Please let the newb know...thanks...

JerryAtrik
June 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
I am impressed how soon the back room boys brought out an Ubuntu version of the latest Firefox
Jerry

steeleyuk
June 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
I am impressed how soon the back room boys brought out an Ubuntu version of the latest Firefox
Jerry

Me too, was expecting to wait at least a week. Though 2.0.0.4 did fix some security bugs which may have helped things along...

Colin Lenton
June 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hello!
i joined this forum minutes ago, having installed ubuntu feisty fawn yesterday. Have got my printer to work and i can play and rip cd tracks but that's about as far as it goes so far. In particular, I have read some info on how to get my usb adsl speedtouch modem to work but it seems way above my abilities. i am not used to typing in commands either. Can anyone direct me to a guide that is as SIMPLE and step by step as possible, please?
I would also love to actually talk to someone in the area where I live (Derby).
Love the thought of using ubuntu and will persevere, but I need to find a way of connecting to the internet.
Can't afford to spend money, really, unless there is a cheap alternative way of connecting that would work for ubuntu and windows, as my family will want to continue with xp.

Many thanks

Colin Lenton

Sbarton
June 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Colin have you seen this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445701
You need to read all posts, but it may prove useful.
regards

cosbear
June 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I finally got Ubuntu 7.04 running on a live cd. Had major headache with belkin wireless card at first but now I'm using web. I've made several postings with good responses. I've read many threads on booting with two operating systems. The kicker is more than half complain about windows XP problems after they install Ubuntu. I have 2 hard drives on board and would like to install to the empty drive but don't want to spend forever getting windows to work again. I have a preinstalled version of windows and no cd to get back to present setup. Some people prefer GRUB on the linux drive others say put it on the MS drive. I'd like to have the 2 drives to maintain there own independence. Thanks...

Howdy northicert:

I have more than one machine with dual or multiple boots. I have one machine that I had preinstalled XP on it originally and added a hard drive I installed feisty on writing grub to the original master boot and both have been fine. I tried the same procedure on another machine and had a problem XP afterwards and then with grub. Don't think I did anything different. I can't say I understand what went wrong. I did a computer for my brother that had a 250 gig hard drive with XP running on it, I booted with the cd, resized The XP partition to 200gig and installed feisty on a new 50gig partition in the leftover space and he has been running it that way without a problem. I have a computer at work that has XP on 1 hard drive and three other distros of Linux one being feisty all on their own hard drives. I loaded each drive while the other drives were unhooked so that each one has it's own boot sector on it's own drive and I just enter setup on boot and change the boot order to boot the drive I want. My home server has Feisty on it with XP running on a virtual machine in Virtual Box which works great and no rebooting I can have both running at the same time and share a directory between the two which is quite useful. The great thing about running XP in Virtual Box on Feisty is that when I do have to go online with it, it is from within the protective shell of Linux which makes it much more secure. So there are lots of ways to do multiple boots and each may be useful for the needs of the user. Because I build computers for others I have had the chance to experiment a lot. It's great I love feisty and actually find less and less use for ******* as I go along. But haven't managed to break completely free yet, but soon I hope. cosbear

Thaid
June 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM
is there a way of accessing a ntfs drive that is on the same machine?

cosbear
June 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
is there a way of accessing a ntfs drive that is on the same machine?

Hey Thaid:

Yes there are several ways. These are the best ways I've found so far to share partitions. I try to only go online in Linux (so much more secure). So if I download something for Windows I can simply move it across partitions without having to write it to cd or something. Ntfs-3g is a program available in Synaptic Package Manager under the System/Administration menu.

"The ntfs-3g driver is an open source, GPL licensed, third generation Linux
NTFS driver for 32-bit, little-endian architectures which was implemented
by the Linux-NTFS project. It provides full read-write access to NTFS,
excluding access to encrypted files, writing compressed files, changing
file ownership, access right.", quote from Synaptic.

There is also a freesource program that allows ******* to read and write to ext2&3 partitions. It is called Ext2 IFS For Windows and is available as a free download at http://www.fs-driver.org/. I have used it and it seems to work very well.

You can also create a partition using Fat 32 that both OS's can read and write to, which can be quite handy as you can share Download, Mp3, or other directories. The only problem with fat32 is that there is 4gig file limitation. cosbear

bodhi.zazen
June 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
For nfs access from Linux use ntfs-config : http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Ntfs-config

For window access to ext2/3 use : http://www.fs-driver.org/

Squid_blk
June 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I am just about a month into my first experience with Linux and of course Ubuntu. Lets answer the questions posed:

1. Evaluate Ubuntu to see if it will fit their needs.
Live CDs are awesome. Load quickly and connected to my DSL connection faster than it took to load the browser. Within seconds of getting to the desktop I was on the Internet. With the OpenOffice which I have been using for about three years now on my former XP system and the host of software that comes with Ubuntu and the repositories, yeah Ubuntu should meet my needs but I had a few reservations.

A) I am dependent on Quicken. I use it for budgeting and managing my accounts and expenses for work. GnuCash was not for me. B) I work from home when I am not on the road so I listen to online radio station streams which are WMP dependent. C) I love my Stiletto and my Sirius Radio online connection. I console game so not an issue. Let's continue.

2. Obtain and boot Ubuntu.
20 minute download and five minute burn and you have a live CD. Not too shabby. Also I cannot stress this enough...invest in some books. I have Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Moving to Ubuntu and Ubuntu Hacks. Although some of the information albeit a few months old is becoming out-dated it is a start and is seriously worth the money. I counted 1 book at my B&N store in January. Now there are 10 on the shelves with a few others out of stock. They can come with CDs and even DVDs with the supported repository programs that require no Internet connection. How cool is that? Obtaining...no issues.

3. Install Ubuntu.
Install was less than 45 minutes from formating the hard disk, install and updates. Instructions are easy and straightforward.

4. Transition into Ubuntu.
I got Wine installed and configured within minutes. Quicken installed nicely and even put an Icon on the desktop and showed up in the applications menu. The program works well but not at 100%. Some of the ctrl features can be sporadic but it works. No issues. Sipie with MPlayer streams Sirius better than Sirius's player. Really easy to install. VLC player with the connectivity media player plugin on Firefox relieves your WMP woes. Forums were definitely cool with Sirius and WMP. Installs were just minutes with no issues. With my three issues solved within days I can say its up to me to see what else I can get out of Ubuntu. Getting IEs for Linux is easy. So far I am set.

5. Become members of the Ubuntu community.
I joined the forums to figure stuff out. And I can say is keep reading. Linux people have the reputation of being too geeky and too technical. Sorry but this is true. But there are those who can simple it out without dumbing it down. And that is what has helped me. I still don't understand the file structure and I am amazed that things work the un-obvious way they do. I have programs in my /usr/bin that the system tells me are not there and I cannot find them when I search for them or see the icon for them. But if I tell BASH to run them the programs work. Huh? The learning curve is very steep but Linux can make some things easier but it can make allot of things more difficult. With me being a light user I can see things working out for me. But Ubuntu and/or the Linux industry, IMHO, have allot more to do to win the masses. But if you want to come, seriously, read the Forums, the posts and support the authors of the publications and books. In October of 2006 I asked a programmer/network friend and dabbler of all thing Linux to recommend a Linux distro and he recommended Ubuntu mostly because of its desktop support. Well A.J. was dead on. Without the books I could not have done this. Right now, I am glad I am here.

Suggestions? Yeah, the SPM is complicated and not straightforward. When I went to install VLC it came up with many packages. I had no idea if I needed one or all. And there is no way to be sure. So instead I did the sudo apt-get install vlc and it found the same packages and said they were all needed and did its thing. How is a newbie suppose to know? I don't and that is something I need to learn which is part of the geeky factor of Linux in general. Allot of trial and error. Fix that and things will grow. If I can get my multi-button mouse up and running I will be very happy. So Ubuntu, thank you.

bodhi.zazen
June 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I am just about a month into my first experience with Linux and of course Ubuntu. Lets answer the questions posed:

Wow Squid_blk, thank you for your time and feedback.

You raise a good point. GNU/Linux is on the verge of "prime time". Realistically :

1. It does take some time to transition. It is a cliché, but true Linux is not windows and under the hood (behind the GUI) the file system and basic system admin is quite different then windows.

2. Alas I am afraid I agree with you on the need to "dumb it down" to appeal to the masses. I a way this saddens me, but the reality is, the mouse is mightier then the terminal.

3. The good new is, that if one does not need to install programs do sys admin, Ubuntu is coming close. I did a drop in replacement of a windows system for a "computer illiterate" so to speak and it went quite well.

4. I agree that the biggest thing that is needed for GNU/Linux is commercial support if you will. The example you cite with Quicken rings true. I like gnu cash but I also agree it is not *yet* up to par with Quicken or Money. And importing your data ? Forget about it....

The basic day-to-day stuff is there (web browsing, e-mail, word processing) but it will take commercial support, ie Quicken Linux Edition, games, etc, to win the masses (who will gladly purchase them as they do now).

On the other hand, if Linux users took a slightly different approach that would help as well.

Just a comment about Linux being "free". Yes it is true, but are you willing to contribute to the cause?

By that I only mean to point out that the applications in the open source community are written and maintained by developers.

If you like this service consider donating 25-50 $ yearly to your favorite developer, application, ubuntu, whatever. This will keep the Linux community going and is certainly a small investment in return for the service. Think of like contributing to NPR or PBS.

~ bodhi.zazen

Jolly-Swagman
June 9th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Well I have just Built my very first LAMP Server out of a recycled P11 334mhz slot 1, bd100 Motherboard, 256MBsdrampc100, atx tower case w/400wattpsu, Samsung40gig hdd, Samsung40xCD/RW, Stealth3 Sav4 32MB PCI Graphic/card. 128 bit Creative sound card, 1.4fhd, and Ubuntu 7.0.4 Server Distro.
Very quick on the install, actually took lest time than it has reading the forum FAQ's and How to's and all the other stuff needed to get it all set up, but I will persist as still learning the Linux way of life, and I must say very impressed..
I will be in here quite frequently reading and if so asking questions from the Knowledgeable sources to be found here.

Now the tweaking begins.

thanks to all involved in making a great Distro

Regards Jolly Swagman

cosbear
June 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Welcome Jolly, good on ya mate. The more the stronger, you will find a lot of support in these forums. That lamp server setup is amazing. It's what I'm using as a home and small business server. I'm still learning it myself, and liking it more all the time. I'm looking forward down the line here to serving my own websites and email on my own domains. A new one for me, up until now I have always rented commercial virtual server space. cosbear

Free Source means freedom, the freedom to choose, the freedom to grow, and the freedom to breath, so exhale deeply....

xthund3rh3adx
June 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
umm.....am i part of this?

XopherH
June 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM
count me in.

Installing Ubuntu 7.04 as I type on an old HP p2.

384mb RAM.
40gb IDE HDD.
IDE CDR

and some crazy partitions that I prolly shouldnt have made.

I did what I was told and then got ambitious with what I might think I might need later.. as in a fat32, boot, and usr/local

Jolly-Swagman
June 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM
hey thanks for the welcome Cosbear,
As I said very impressed with this server and was looking thru my bits draw and came across another cpl of sticks of RAM 128mb & 64mb so thru them into the box too, now downloading the Kubuntu dexktop as bit lighter than Gnome and the extra RAM will help heaps.
And the apt-get distros from http://au.archives.ubuntu.com are flying compared with other distro updates.

And got myself a Domain name from ireckon domains for $12.00 so will have more reading to do on how to impliment it to the server box it will be http://www.ultimate-services-technologies.com

back to the server to check out the desktop,,,

Jolly Swagman

Squid_blk
June 10th, 2007, 06:57 PM
I do plan to donate to the cause. It is absolutely worth sending some cash into the developers. Ubuntu on a CD does more than a Windows system does. $195 for the OS and you still need to add an office suite, add a graphics editor, and a host of other programs that are free or mostly pay.

My dumb it down comment is more easy of use. Because Ubuntu has the desktop capacity and the BASH is actually way cool. I find myself using both and I figure the terminal will be more of my friend.

I still pose the question on finding files. Using the media player controller plugin it said to select which program you want to use to open the files. I have Totem, Mplayer and VLC. I know they are there but I do not know where they are. I use the Browse and they do not show up. Any suggestions?

XopherH
June 10th, 2007, 10:48 PM
So last night I think I accidentally kicked the computer while it was reformatting and partitioning at 52%, the CD seemed like it was then stuck. the system wasnt frozen, just lagging severly.

and now the same exact cd won't boot into Ubuntu to even have a chance at starting the install process over.

I f'ed up memory or something didnt I?

edit://
I went and unplugged everything and went back at it. But this time used a different live cd, Fedora 7 test 4.

so now the question is, what to do with Ubuntu?

bodhi.zazen
June 11th, 2007, 02:46 AM
I do plan to donate to the cause. It is absolutely worth sending some cash into the developers. Ubuntu on a CD does more than a Windows system does. $195 for the OS and you still need to add an office suite, add a graphics editor, and a host of other programs that are free or mostly pay.

:)

My dumb it down comment is more easy of use. Because Ubuntu has the desktop capacity and the BASH is actually way cool. I find myself using both and I figure the terminal will be more of my friend.

Take a peek at this : http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/CommandLineBeginners

I still pose the question on finding files. Using the media player controller plugin it said to select which program you want to use to open the files. I have Totem, Mplayer and VLC. I know they are there but I do not know where they are. I use the Browse and they do not show up. Any suggestions?

LOL

Yea it takes a while to get to know the file system.

In a nut-shell you own /home/user_name. You can do anything with that directory you like.

Take a look at this attachment (It is a from a set of lecture notes I use):

Thaid
June 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM
cosbear.
thanks for the pionters but none of them worked.
really doing my friut in. so i maybe cutting my losses for a bit and go back to windows and strip the drives out. then i can format them all for linux.
what a chore.
i hate microsoft!!! money grabbing.....
anyways thanks again.

Rhyn W
June 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hey Everyone
I'm just another convert, sadly not the most clued up either.
Most of my friends who know Pc's were advising me to stay away from Linux. They know what I am capable of when it comes to pc's. LOL. (Not without reason I have a track record.)

Their opinion aside: I wanted to try Linux out. So I got my first free copy of Ubuntu at the freedom toaster nearby my house. Thank You! What an asset! Anyway I soon realised that they are developing this stuff here in Pretoria and one of my friends got me the latest version Feisty Fawn.
Wow I am impressed. But typical me I have broken it already, don't think its the systems fault I have a knack, A born system destroyer... at least I can reinstall and installing is not at all any trouble, in fact its so easy it makes me want to play a little more hee hee. Anyway I have my first mission to install the Game Airattack, I'm still trying & ran into some trouble here. It’s from an external source (Google Airattack) there is version for linux.It’s an awesome little game if you like flyboys (movie) you'll love Airattack.

So Three weeks down the line I have a $user.home permissions issue, unresolved and today I learnt that you can open a terminal inside the program from applications. -> Terminal. I must say everyone in here is very helpful; it definitely bodes well if newcomers like me can start working things out with a little help from the Forums. Thank you all Forum Helpers...

I have also signed up to actively discuss Ubuntu with everyone. It’s an objective to evangelize this awesome product to everyone, I can get fanatical... and I'm getting fanatical about Ubuntu.

Check my blog my very first blog I dedicated it to Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.
http://rnw-inc.blogspot.com/

This ball is rolling now and I want to be a part of the BOUNCE.
Ubuntu Beyond Borders Boundaries!

shelzmike
June 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Wow Squid_blk, thank you for your time and feedback.

You raise a good point. GNU/Linux is on the verge of "prime time". Realistically :

1. It does take some time to transition. It is a cliché, but true Linux is not windows and under the hood (behind the GUI) the file system and basic system admin is quite different then windows.

2. Alas I am afraid I agree with you on the need to "dumb it down" to appeal to the masses. I a way this saddens me, but the reality is, the mouse is mightier then the terminal.

3. The good new is, that if one does not need to install programs do sys admin, Ubuntu is coming close. I did a drop in replacement of a windows system for a "computer illiterate" so to speak and it went quite well.

~ bodhi.zazen

I agree with what you are saying here, but only somewhat. I mean, the reality is that there are many who would just rather stick with M$ and be happy with that, and that is fine. These are the people that Linux is not made for - similar to the analogy that a Ferrari is not really made for a little 90 year old lady to do grocery shopping in.

However, it is apparent that many of the "younger" generation (age is relative here) are wanting to (and having the ability to) understand more than just Windows. I have two boys, ages 8 and 9 and my 9 year old is really into Linux. In fact, he is teaching me a thing or two. He loves it because it is different, and he actually feels more in control of his system.

I think that Linux will have and will continue to grow a large following as the years go by. However, in terms of global adoption and commercial support, it may not ever happen. I like it just the way it is and think that if it were to be globally adopted, I would lose interest, as it's "cultural" nature is what makes it great.

coatit
June 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Super newby (just this week) ubuntu 7.04
I just downloaded wine and ktoons. Can anyone tell me where these things are going and how i actually use them. Spent 2 whole days on this and can't even get one download to work.. thinking this is the wrong applications for me....

blinded by windows

bodhi.zazen
June 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Super newby (just this week) ubuntu 7.04
I just downloaded wine and ktoons. Can anyone tell me where these things are going and how i actually use them. Spent 2 whole days on this and can't even get one download to work.. thinking this is the wrong applications for me....

blinded by windows

For information on wine, go here :

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/HowToWine

as far as ktoons, there are explicit directions on how to build on the web site.

Two comments :

1. wine is not so easy to use (yet). You need to follow a guide and I suggest you start at winehq in the appdb (applications data base).

2. Compiling is not hard, but not easy either.

You need to install at least build essentials, then any other dependencies (Check your version of Qt).

I suggest you start a thread in Absolute Beginner Talk asking for guidance. Be sure to explain what you have done and post error messages (if any).

SpiritIsReality
June 18th, 2007, 06:14 AM
http://tomlinux.ca/introduction_to_linux.html

a great place to start.

samith
June 18th, 2007, 02:29 PM
hey guyz... i'm new to here...and i worked several years with windows and honestly windows suckz... hope i can get on board... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Roulette
June 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I'm not totally a beginner considering I started using Mandriva a year ago, then decided it was not for me and started using Ubuntu, but I do have a lot more still to learn which is why I'm here.

I'm Ellie and I'm a Computer Science Student in Scotland (though I'm really faffing around with it a lot and taking time out). Determined to prove to some people a girl can get a Comp Sci degree and do it well ;) The plan is to have a PHD at the end of it all.

Windows annoys me but I still use it on occassion since my main passion when it comes to computers is web design. XHTML 1.1 mainly. I get paid for the odd job (which normally involves cross-browser compatibility) so I like to keep 'dows around :)

samith
June 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I'm not totally a beginner considering I started using Mandriva a year ago, then decided it was not for me and started using Ubuntu, but I do have a lot more still to learn which is why I'm here.

I'm Ellie and I'm a Computer Science Student in Scotland (though I'm really faffing around with it a lot and taking time out). Determined to prove to some people a girl can get a Comp Sci degree and do it well ;) The plan is to have a PHD at the end of it all.

Windows annoys me but I still use it on occassion since my main passion when it comes to computers is web design. XHTML 1.1 mainly. I get paid for the odd job (which normally involves cross-browser compatibility) so I like to keep 'dows around :)

Thatz kwl...cuz i start to use linux only 2 weeks now.... still i'm working with windows ...my job u knw... its annoying a lot.... for me i should start from A.... hope u guys will help me ....Thanx:)

pattylt
June 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Hi,
I consider myself a total newbie even though I have had Libranet (Debian) up and running on an old system for over 2 years. Problem is I can't do a heck of alot on it and get very lost in trying to troubleshoot it. Just installed Fiesty 4 days ago on my main computer (built it myself a year ago!) so it dual boots. All that has gone smooth as silk. Now I start the real learning curve. Dont know if it has been asked but I really appreciate it when someone gives explanations as to why you do something as well as telling me what to do to fix it. I learn alot more with explanations as to why I should do this rather than just "copy and paste this into terminal". I also understand that I am asking someone to share their time and long explanations use more time, so ... just when possible, it is nice.
Thanks for being here!
patty

shelzmike
June 18th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I learn alot more with explanations as to why I should do this rather than just "copy and paste this into terminal".

I feel the exact same way. When I first started I picked up a few manuals on linux and quickly tossed them out(not literally, but I do not really use them). I learn best by doing, but also understanding the why's and how's. However, since I recently started, i still use code and commands that have already been created. I do not copy and paste them though (unless I am in a hurry). Usually what I do is actually copy it,but type each line manually.After repitition and a little logic on my end, things are slowly coming together for me. There are already many things that I can do without even having to look at any code. Now, that being said, this is all basic stuff for now, but within a short while I think the learning curve will shorten. Good Luck!

shelzmike
June 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Determined to prove to some people a girl can get a Comp Sci degree and do it well ;) The plan is to have a PHD at the end of it all.

Welcome Ellie! (Disclaimer, what will follow here may appear to be sexist, but in actuality is a compliment ;) ) I do not know why, but I always find it fascinating to women in the CS or any IT field really. It has always (in years past) seemed to be a man's profession and it is great to see women getting into the field - not only getting into it but excelling as well. (We always have to remember though that it was a woman who lead the pioneering efforts of computer technology - Grace Hopper), so it is it really just a man's role? :)

Same here. The truth is that for most of us, we will probably have to keep using windows for quite some time until Linux is more widely accepted and more programs get developed for it that can compete. The good news is that it is gaining ground faster and faster each day. Good luck with Ubuntu!

bodhi.zazen
June 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Hi,
I consider myself a total newbie even though I have had Libranet (Debian) up and running on an old system for over 2 years. Problem is I can't do a heck of alot on it and get very lost in trying to troubleshoot it. Just installed Fiesty 4 days ago on my main computer (built it myself a year ago!) so it dual boots. All that has gone smooth as silk. Now I start the real learning curve. Dont know if it has been asked but I really appreciate it when someone gives explanations as to why you do something as well as telling me what to do to fix it. I learn alot more with explanations as to why I should do this rather than just "copy and paste this into terminal". I also understand that I am asking someone to share their time and long explanations use more time, so ... just when possible, it is nice.
Thanks for being here!
patty

Ask for clarification/explanation and you will almost always get it.

Also, start reading man pages. They will not make sense at first, but after a while they kind of make sense.

man <command>

You can also find man pages on line with google :

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/

virtuososteve
June 19th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Hey im new to Ubuntu feisty fawn and i was wondering on how to activate the cube effect for it. Also i own a iriver clix, how do u connect it to ubuntu so it can read it?

atria
June 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM
The cube effect can be achieved using Compiz or Beryl. Search for them in the forums or community wiki using the search function.

philipt1969
June 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Well, I have finally gone and done it and feisty is installed on my laptop as a dual boot with xp.

My first step on the way to escaping the clutches of Windows is complete!

Now if I can just get the wireless connection up and running, I will be well away.

Time for a bit of research on the forums.

vibe666
June 26th, 2007, 09:05 AM
hi guys, another (almost) absolute beginner here too. :)

I've been toying with linux for over 10 years now, doing what most windows users do and dual booting windows with one linux distro or another and bnever really getting anywhere with it at all.

i've finally decided that the only way to do it is to do it properly so, prompted by the death (again) of my windows pc, i have removed windows completely and installed feisty instead so i don't have any easy way out now and consequently i'll just have to find a fix if there's something getting in my way, rather than just giving up and rebooting to windows as i probably would have done before.

anyway, this is me:

name: Chris
home: Ireland
job: Windows server support with 10 years of Windows desktop & server experience
likes: computers (obviously), scuba, cars, tv & cinema & food (cooking & eating)

JerryAtrik
June 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM
This post is by way of a big thank you to all the members who have answered many questions of mine and have assisted in my duel booting of windows & Ubuntu 6,06 and now a triple booting with Ubuntu 7.04. you all have the patience of a saint and I thank you .
Cheers

vishal99
June 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Hello,
If you need open a terminal,Just go top left hand corner and click on first icon.and click on assoseries and clcik on terminal,If you need paste code on terminal windows just right click via mouse and click on paste option.

Thanks,
Vishal
vishalgaurav01@gmail.com

moccachino
June 30th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Hi Guys (and Gals ^^),

I finally decided to install Ubuntu on my notebook and to stick with it no matter what may trouble me. That's why I'm happy to read this post, because some things do already trouble me ;)...
Still Ubuntu is awesome and in my opinion the first linux distribution that actually might be interesting and suitable for non linux geeks (no offence ^^) - still I would say, only users who do know a lot about computes in general might be able to make the transfer from windows to ubuntu and I also think that it takes a lot of time to get along with all these new programs...but I although think it's worth the effort...

So I say THANK YOU in advance for all the answers I hopefully get on all the questions that might follow...

cya later

Billybobplr
July 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM
ihave one day of linux experience now and have it working on my laptop. Now i want to install on home computer. I'm using feisty fawn. My computer has a 8800 gts video and when i install drivers i get what i guess is a blue screen and cant boot back to desk top. ive reloaded several times and tried a few different things here in the forums but nothing works. i'd like to move to linux but i read some people saying it won't run a 8800. I play some games and i think wine supports all i play so i think i would be happy with it. Beryl is installed on my laptop and i love it.

Mawy
July 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Heya Billybobplr,

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, and thought I would never get by that error screen. Follow the tutorials on this forum, they will get you up and running in no time :)

I put together a new computer a few months ago with an 8800gts and it has never run Windows :) Thanks Ubuntu! I have a heavy addiction to on-line games and though I have used Linux on and off for years, I could never kick that bad booting to Windows habit.

Finally! It's been months, and everything just works. All my games work great through Cedega/Wine and the few problems I have had are usually fun to work through thanks to this great forum.

Cheers guys :)

Happy me.
-Mawy

bodhi.zazen
July 4th, 2007, 07:33 PM
ihave one day of linux experience now and have it working on my laptop. Now i want to install on home computer. I'm using feisty fawn. My computer has a 8800 gts video and when i install drivers i get what i guess is a blue screen and cant boot back to desk top. ive reloaded several times and tried a few different things here in the forums but nothing works. i'd like to move to linux but i read some people saying it won't run a 8800. I play some games and i think wine supports all i play so i think i would be happy with it. Beryl is installed on my laptop and i love it.

You need to install the nvidia driver. Try envy (http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html).

metallicamaster3
July 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
or this:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx

that worked for a lot of people i know.

virtuososteve
July 8th, 2007, 05:31 AM
So what about the iriver clix? I've looked everywhere and i still dont know how to make ubuntu read it. The new one works with linux computers but i dont want to buy that, so if anyone knows how to connect it, that would help a lot. Thanks.

Logical Dream
July 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Hey peeps, I just found the best place to put my first coup ;)
After my last attempt to install Linux pased almost 2 years, from today Im happy user of UBUNTU , looking forward joining comunity and maybe on day I will be in position to help others too.

Respect

Big Up From Montenegro !

chutki
July 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM
i am having a problem with wireless when i go on command promt type 1spci then i get a response that the command isn't found..need help connecting to the internet i have a linksys wirelessG usb network adaptor 2.4Ghz 802.11g... what do i do... plz help...

johntkucz
July 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM
This is a brief list of problems, bugs, and things that plain out just dont work with Fiesty Fawn, Ubuntu, 7.04 on a Gateway laptop, somewhat in the order most to least of a problem. I am aware this is a collaborative project and am total supporter and believer in FSF, GNU, and the whole Ubuntu ideology. Ubuntu may not be the most easy to get to work OS, but it has some of the most amazing features.

1. No sound. period. (alsamixer drivers can't load and then sound is inaudible)
2. No router drivers for wireless.
3. No dual-monitor configuration (only clones).
4. gDesklets crashes and never loads on startup.
5. Huge difficulty importing contacts and .psf files from MS outlook.
6. Panel bars icons "move randomly" even when "locked to panel".
7. Most programs have little or "no" help features.
8. Software update manager throws errors.
9. Upon reboot, most panel aliases break their link.

hhmmmm that list is a start. I know almost all of these -- except for the sound on an mx3701 gateway laptop have been fixed in one way or another -- in other instances. But other than that the OS works "smoothly":).

Count me in on the beginner Team!

bodhi.zazen
July 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM
This is a brief list of problems, bugs, and things that plain out just dont work with Fiesty Fawn, Ubuntu, 7.04 on a Gateway laptop, somewhat in the order most to least of a problem. I am aware this is a collaborative project and am total supporter and believer in FSF, GNU, and the whole Ubuntu ideology. Ubuntu may not be the most easy to get to work OS, but it has some of the most amazing features.

1. No sound. period. (alsamixer drivers can't load and then sound is inaudible)
2. No router drivers for wireless.
3. No dual-monitor configuration (only clones).
4. gDesklets crashes and never loads on startup.
5. Huge difficulty importing contacts and .psf files from MS outlook.
6. Panel bars icons "move randomly" even when "locked to panel".
7. Most programs have little or "no" help features.
8. Software update manager throws errors.
9. Upon reboot, most panel aliases break their link.

hhmmmm that list is a start. I know almost all of these -- except for the sound on an mx3701 gateway laptop have been fixed in one way or another -- in other instances. But other than that the OS works "smoothly":).

Count me in on the beginner Team!

Welcome to Ubuntu. Just ask if you need advice ;)

For your monitors you need to install the proprietary drivers.

Monggue
July 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Hi All,

Been reading this thread and a few related links about Linux. Haven't try linux yet but from this forum Linux sound so interesting. Been using Windows all this while and my experince with comand line decades ago with MS-DOS!!Already downloaded the Ubuntu .iso and will try to install Ubuntu tomorrow.
Keeping my fingers cross!!

givupnliv
July 10th, 2007, 02:20 AM
What am I suppose to do with this?
E: Type 'ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/ubuntu' is not known on line 34 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.

I can not understand all this business with installing repositories. I have spent six days trying to get my fairly new Canon PIXMA MP160 to work on this godawful os and it still won't work.I have the driver cd. I downloaded it and it sits on the desktop, but the os or whatever little fuzzy name(gnome, cups) does not even list my printer. CUPS won't accept the username and password that I use to startup with. I have read posts in forums all over google and yahoo search.

WHY DOES A NEW OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRE SO MUCH EFFORT JUST TO LOAD DRIVERS?????? WHY IS LOADING AIM A VIRTUAL NIGHTMARE? WHAT IS THE REAL AGENDA WITH THE DEVELOPERS OF THIS OS? I WANTED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT(AND HOPEFULLY BETTER) THAN WINDOWS, BUT COMPARED TO DAPPER DRAKE OR DAFFY DUCK, WINDOWS XP IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

I should be able to insert a driver cd or any other modern software program into the cd drive and follow prompts, maybe restart and bingo, I'm in business, like say........oh.....Windows???? Time to move UP to Vista.

WTF?!!!

oneups
July 10th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Hi everyone. I'm really happy to see this thread. I'm quite new to linux myself, and installed a copy of Ubuntu a few months back. I havent used it as much as I hoped since the learning curve is a bit steeper than I expected. That said, I still havent gave up on Linux, particularly Ubuntu and want to continue learning how to use the OS.

I understand there is a newer version of Ubuntu out there so I'd like to update but before I do I have a few questions.

Originally I wanted to try Ubuntu because it has a great community willing to help each other, and because I really wanted to give XGL/Beryl a try. (eye candy is always welcomed). A confusing problem I had with Ubuntu is that often certain tutorials for installing drivers, or programs were only for either dapper, or edgy, or not supported for ubuntu 64 versions. So my question is, what would be the best version of Ubuntu to have, if all i want is support for various programs/drivers, and if id like to run xgl?

I also had a couple of problems with the video (I have a NVIDIA 7800, installed TSEliots repositories, but every time i shutdown or restart my computer I have to reset the resolution to 1600X1200, despite that it supposedly saved the configuration.

Its also a bummer that my creative XFI is not supported, but i hear that support is right around the corner.

Look forward to coming back, and giving Ubuntu another shot

Madvil
July 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I love this idea.

I am such a newbie at this but I soooo wanna get involved :)

6Realms
July 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
Need to send you a, "BIG" THANK YOU!!!; For sharing the, very needed information on, Ubuntu. I haven't read it all yet but I took the time to print a copy for myself and a friend. I'm praying this will eaz the workout I get from the published, Ubuntu, ["Learn How"] book I bought. Thanks again, 6Realms ):P

view_say
July 24th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Good luck!!!!

styphon
July 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Saviors of the newbies. I thank thee.

Hayl
July 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hey,
I just cut microshafts chain and how glorious it it is. I installed Ubuntu (Feisty) w/Beryl and I love it.
I was worried about installation at first but the forums here enabeled me to install, and how to work through specifil problems, (ATI was a pain 0_o ) neways awesome job here guys with forums and it all, and to all who have contributed to this amazing Open Source OS, THank you!

oldtreeclimber
July 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Thank You Very Much for all the hard work.

Got fiesty and after a few bumps am getting the hang of cli and loving it.

I encourage all new users to stick with it

:)The world as it should be eh?

upthelum
August 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
Great, thats me, a New Beginner! 5 days in so far, lots of things running, lots not running. I would like to contribute to a 'Getting Started' Manual with lots of how do's. E.g.

How do I load a Shuttle iPod?
How do I watch the BBC News stream?
How do I 'Skype' ?

AND... all to be done without a command line! (Yes, I know you Linux/Unix command line folks are very clever but you can't keep Ubuntu to just yourselves you know. It's too good for a niche market! Let the grey hairs have it too! We are a growing market!)

Kind Regards
Bob

Ubuntu is for everyone. Ubuntu means humanity to others so it goes without saying this is a great learning community where people can come together with a common goal from all corners of the globe.
Great idea...

Misbah
August 4th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Hello everyone

Im most definitely new to ubuntu, and linux in general. This is my first ever install of a linux system on my box ever. I consider myself hardware proficient and software deficient..only because I've been clinging to Windows since 3.0.

I picked ubuntu after hours of indecision and research on the distro website, forums like this, and all sorts of other websites. I chose it for its ease of use, simplicity, stability, and continued future support. I wanted something GNOME based even though I prob shouldnt have been worryong about that, and I wanted something for my home desktop.

I got all that I expected except for ease of installation. Im typing this on ubuntu after 36 hours of install troubles. I was doing this with a XP Pro on a seperate HD, trying to set up dual boot. That took forever to get right with my raptors. GRUB problems, all sorts of crap. Then the great NVIDIA driver install of the 100.14.11 drivers. That was absolutely rediculous. I don't care how much support for ubuntu there is, it is NOT easy for a first time user like me to collect that sort of information and fix the problem. It took about 4 reinstalls. I had to use not the regular nvidia drivers, but the differently packaged one i found on the forums actually, and after that I had to deal with the APC mismatch problem, and then I couldnt get my widescreen resolution to stick after reboots, until i found an obscure thread which helped me edit the Xorg.conf file. After all that everything works. Couldve been a cleaner install if you ask me, as a newb to linux. Now I'm really hesitent to find the linux drivers for my other components and install them, or any other programs for that matter. However, it IS smooth, snappy, clean, customizable, and i feel more in touch with the OS and liked what I experienced with the short torture lesson in command line input I had when I was sorting out the nvidia mess. I am lookin forward to learning this thing inside out, I dont like what I dont understand. But anyways, thats my experience, and other people please share if you had horrible problems with the 100.14.11 drivers. thanks.

bodhi.zazen
August 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Hello everyone

Im most definitely new to ubuntu, and linux in general. This is my first ever install of a linux system on my box ever. I consider myself hardware proficient and software deficient..only because I've been clinging to Windows since 3.0.

I picked ubuntu after hours of indecision and research on the distro website, forums like this, and all sorts of other websites. I chose it for its ease of use, simplicity, stability, and continued future support. I wanted something GNOME based even though I prob shouldnt have been worryong about that, and I wanted something for my home desktop.

I got all that I expected except for ease of installation. Im typing this on ubuntu after 36 hours of install troubles. I was doing this with a XP Pro on a seperate HD, trying to set up dual boot. That took forever to get right with my raptors. GRUB problems, all sorts of crap. Then the great NVIDIA driver install of the 100.14.11 drivers. That was absolutely rediculous. I don't care how much support for ubuntu there is, it is NOT easy for a first time user like me to collect that sort of information and fix the problem. It took about 4 reinstalls. I had to use not the regular nvidia drivers, but the differently packaged one i found on the forums actually, and after that I had to deal with the APC mismatch problem, and then I couldnt get my widescreen resolution to stick after reboots, until i found an obscure thread which helped me edit the Xorg.conf file. After all that everything works. Couldve been a cleaner install if you ask me, as a newb to linux. Now I'm really hesitent to find the linux drivers for my other components and install them, or any other programs for that matter. However, it IS smooth, snappy, clean, customizable, and i feel more in touch with the OS and liked what I experienced with the short torture lesson in command line input I had when I was sorting out the nvidia mess. I am lookin forward to learning this thing inside out, I dont like what I dont understand. But anyways, thats my experience, and other people please share if you had horrible problems with the 100.14.11 drivers. thanks.

:lolflag:

I recall those feelings ...

Yea a new OS is harsh, but it gets easier. Just let us know if we can help further, feel free to start a thread if needed ...