PDA

View Full Version : should I get a TV tuner or keep $90?

billdotson
March 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I bought a WinTV-PVR-150 from newegg to record my shows to my PC. They sent me a HVR-1600 so I can't use it in Ubuntu or any other GNU/Linux. I can use it in Windows fine but I would rather use it in both. I sent it back for a replacement and got another HVR-1600.

Should I try and send it back through Hauppauge and deal with trying to get the atual PVR-150 or should I just get my refund?

I have a DVD recorder upstairs and I can record my shows to it, rip the DVD, cut out the commercials with avidemux and then transcode it back into whatever format I want. The only downside to the DVD recorder is if I want to record alot of things in a row I will have to switch the DVDs out as DVDs have some pretty limited storage.

So what do you think.. $90 refund, deal with a little more time getting the videos off of the DVD or just go through Hauppauge and get a PVR-150?

thanks.

Sunflower1970
March 6th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Sounds like you have a good solution in place for the time being, so I'd go for the $90 refund.
And maybe look into a tv-tuner card in the future when there are more linux-friendly options available.

billdotson
March 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM
yeah the only thing I got to worry about is when i am recording the Christmas 007 marathon. I am going to have to pop those DVDs in there as soon as one movie ends run down and rip the video and run back upstairs. But hey, $90 is worth the extra trouble and I will probably learn more about multimedia stuff than I would just using a TV tuner.

~LoKe
March 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
If you RMA directly to Hauppage and request a 150, they'll give it to ya.