PDA

View Full Version : what is the best FOSS/OSS you know off?

billdotson
March 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I have been stumbling (that firefox extension) for open source stuff and I have come along MEDIAPORTAL and many other FOSS/OSS apps. MEDIAPORTAL looks pretty cool.. does anyone know anything about it?

What are the best OSS apps that you know of/use?

Also a separate question.. what are the best OSS apps that are not widely known (ex: not Firefox)

I am looking to replace most of my commercial/proprietary software that I use in Windows for more useful OSS apps that I hopefully can use in both Windows and Ubuntu.

I downloaded an app called #developer (for C# development) and I am thinking that maybe later I will try to learn a little C#. From what I have seen there is a wealth of OSS software out there that many times does it's job better than many commercial applications.

saulgoode
March 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
GCC

Without a doubt.

DoctorMO
March 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
FOSS/OSS = Free and Open Source software or Open Source Software.

next we'll be saying things like FLOSS/FOSS/OSS/OS/S

Free Libier and Open Source Software or Free and Open Source software or Open Source Software or Open Software or Software. :confused:

finferflu
March 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Talking about Linux OSS, I've tried only a couple of other distros, but the moment I tried Ubuntu I haven't been able to depart from it. Maybe because it suits my needs best. Also, comparing distros is all a matter of needs, the best distro is the one that suits your needs best. So when asking that question, you should say: what is the best distro for such and such purpose?

As for apps that are not widely known, you can find a bunch of them (not all unpopular) on getdeb.net, where there are a lot of Ubuntu packages, so you can try them straight away.
Also you could give a look at the klick website (http://klik.atekon.de/), where you can run apps by just clicking on them from the browser.

Have fun!

billdotson
March 7th, 2007, 01:35 AM
sorry I am not as tech-speak savvy as you with open-source software..

Suggestion: why don't you be a little less uppity?

AndyCooll
March 7th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Well ...the best FOSS that I know is LInux itself!

However, if you're thinking of individual apps then Firefox, OpenOffice, Tomboy, SSH come to mind.

:cool: