PDA

View Full Version : The Ubuntu Email Signature Project

TheVeech
March 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not that good at advocacy - I get :mad: :confused: :( :frown: too easily. But, whenever I email someone, why shouldn't I use a set of effective signatures that contribute a little every time?

I don't know of a specific group or initiative for Ubuntu users dealing with this. If my effort's wrong in any way, it's just wrong and I'd love someone to alter and correct it. It'd be great if people here could formulate some more texts for those of use who aren't first-rate advocates, so we can reuse them in our emails, texts that are brief but sum up the essence of Ubuntu/Linux/FLOSS and why they're better.

Here's mine:

===================================

This email was sent from a computer using an advanced
operating system used by over 75% of the world's
supercomputers. The total cost of this software was
$0. This system does not need anti-virus software because
it's design and security measures are more sophisticated
than a lot of heavily-marketed software. If, because of clever
marketing and social engineering, you use inferior software,
you may wish to use an anti-virus program to check it,
because your system may be vulnerable to suffering from
and then spreading viruses.

===================================

doobit
March 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
You might add antivirus software to check your emails before you send them out to your friends, and add that you did this in your signature.

TheVeech
March 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I've done this in the past, but then found myself not bothering, partly because I didn't have to (selfish, I know) and partly because, if other people/organisations are prone to making mistakes and choosing 'bad' software, it's best that they learn the hard way about good and bad software (along with some friendly advice for my friends, of course!).