PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Gentoo?

ghowells
March 6th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Greetings fellow penguin fans. I have always pronounced the "G " in Gentoo as the G in German but a Youtube vid I stumbled upon last night contained a news reporter pronouncing it as the G in Get, Please can the wise and wonderful Ubuntu community resolve my confusion?

steven8
March 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I selected other for the reason stated. I pronounce it Jentoo.

felipelerena
March 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
i spell it like Hentoo

mal
March 6th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Stick with Ubuntu - then you won't have to worry about how to pronounce Gentoo. :-)

Mal

slayerboy
March 6th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I selected other for the reason stated. I pronounce it Jentoo.
ditto

frup
March 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM
ditto

+1

manmower
March 6th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Gentoo, as in generation. I even used to think it was a play on words, gen two = 2nd generation Linux, before I found out about the penguin.

steven8
March 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
ditto

How do you pronounce 'ditto'? d 'eye' toe or d 'ih' toe

:)

pingvin
March 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM
While we're on pronunciation then, why does Ubuntu take "an" rather than "a" - do you all say OObuntu or YOUbuntu?
And I pronounce Gentoo like the penguin:
The Gentoo Penguin (pronounced /ˈdʒɛntu/)
(Thanks Wikipedia :-) )
Mike

Spr0k3t
March 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM
"Generation Two" or "GenToo" for short

Cloudy
March 6th, 2007, 01:33 PM
While we're on pronunciation then, why does Ubuntu take "an" rather than "a" - do you all say OObuntu or YOUbuntu?
And I pronounce Gentoo like the penguin:
(Thanks Wikipedia :-) )
Mike

I pronounce it OObOOntOO. >.> Does that make sense?

And I pronounce Gentoo like "Jentoo".

pingvin
March 6th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Jentoo, yes, perfect sense. But Ubuntu? I say:
"You - bun - too", if you see what I mean, with the stress on the "bun".

Mike

spinflick
March 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Depends on how many pints I've had :tongue:

M_the_C
March 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I pronounce the Gen as in again (a-gen) then too as too.

That's G as a G not as a J.

fuscia
March 6th, 2007, 04:01 PM
i haven't used gentoo, but it seems like driving to mars for a sale on toilet paper.

WindowWasher
March 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Jentoo, yes, perfect sense. But Ubuntu? I say:
"You - bun - too", if you see what I mean, with the stress on the "bun".

Mike

The U is short and the same for all Us in the word. See http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq

K.Mandla
March 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
i haven't used gentoo, but it seems like driving to mars for a sale on toilet paper.
:lolflag: Sometimes I follow fuscia's post history just to see what funny stuff he comes up with.

Back on topic ... I say "jen-too."

pingvin
March 6th, 2007, 09:24 PM
The U is short and the same for all Us in the word. See http://www.ubuntu.com/support/faq

Thanks for the heads-up. And that would explain why people use "an" before the word, rather than "a".

Mike

WindowWasher
March 7th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I also speak Japanese and whenever I don't know a word I tend to use Japanese rules (very similar to Spanish as far as vowles) so it didn't seem like that hard of a word. I wonder if its name could be something that hinders its growth. It will go over well in Africa but I wonder if NA and Europe will have a hard time accepting something they can't easily pronounce. However, I hope that Ubuntu is as common as Mac and windows in the not too distant future.

kanha
March 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM
what about jhentoooo

pingvin
March 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I also speak Japanese and whenever I don't know a word I tend to use Japanese rules (very similar to Spanish as far as vowles) so it didn't seem like that hard of a word. I wonder if its name could be something that hinders its growth. It will go over well in Africa but I wonder if NA and Europe will have a hard time accepting something they can't easily pronounce. However, I hope that Ubuntu is as common as Mac and windows in the not too distant future.

Oh I don't think it hinders its growth - if anything it's a talking point!

Mike

m.musashi
March 8th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Oh I don't think it hinders its growth - if anything it's a talking point!

Mike

That is my take too but I think in marketing you can have a hard time selling something if people don't like the name. I don't know if that is/will be the case with Ubuntu but it's possible. I know the tech guy in our district wouldn't use edubuntu on a lab because he didn't like the name. He actually told me that.

I guess this is way off topic (but can you really be off topic in a chat?) but if you want to hear how to say Ubuntu watch the video of Nelson Mandela that comes with the install. It's in the examples folder in /home after install.

konungursvia
March 8th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Yes, the gen is pronounced as in the first syllable of Generation.

LookTJ
March 8th, 2007, 02:05 AM
I say Gen-too.

imagine
March 8th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I wonder if its name could be something that hinders its growth. It will go over well in Africa but I wonder if NA and Europe will have a hard time accepting something they can't easily pronounce.
In most European languages the "buntu"-words are pronounced "correctly", ie as "ooboontoo", "kooboontoo", "edooboontoo", etc, so that's not an issue.

SunnyRabbiera
March 8th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Gen as in generally and too as in too complicted :D

tehhaxorr
March 8th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I never thought about saying Jentoo, i always called it Gen(as in the hard G sound found in Gopher.)

mips
March 8th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Saying 'Gen' as in generation or 'Jen' as in Jennifer actually has the same sound. The 'too' part is the same as in too or two as they also sound the same.

m.musashi
March 8th, 2007, 09:18 PM
In most European languages the "buntu"-words are pronounced "correctly", ie as "ooboontoo", "kooboontoo", "edooboontoo", etc, so that's not an issue.
But English is a messed up language and no one one here (okay many) can pronounce non-standard words right. Many people here say you-BUN-too. A bit more bilingualism would do this country a world of good.

/soapbox

mips
March 8th, 2007, 09:52 PM

That pronounciation is wrong !!! There is no long "oo" sound in those words. The 2nd 'u' has a slightly longer sound similiar to "oo" but not as long. The 1st & 3rd 'u' are actually short sounds.

fuscia
March 9th, 2007, 05:10 PM
That pronounciation is wrong !!! There is no long "oo" sound in those words. The 2nd 'u' has a slightly longer sound similiar to "oo" but not as long. The 1st & 3rd 'u' are actually short sounds.

are you saying it's uh-boon-tuh ('uh' as in 'but')?

mips
March 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM
are you saying it's uh-boon-tuh ('uh' as in 'but')?

Close but the 'boon' part is a shorter sound. It's hard for me to translate this into a way that an english speaker would be familair with. Even phonetics you are familiar with does not come close to covering the language of isiZulu.

For an example look at section 1.6 General information on Zulu, page 10 of the following dissertation, http://upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-03022004-143057/unrestricted/00dissertation.pdf

I try and see if I can put the word into phonetics. I would even record a pronounciation and post it here but seeing it is not my mother tongue it is not going to be accurate.

Edit: Also read section 1.7 to get some idea of how complex things can get.

I'm trying to find something here and I think it sounds similiar to the bun in the german word bundes but then again my german is even worse :)

m.musashi
March 10th, 2007, 12:32 AM
I don't know. When I listen to Nelson Mandela talk about Ubuntu he seems to use the same oo sound for each syllable. I would think he is an expert.

mips
March 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I don't know. When I listen to Nelson Mandela talk about Ubuntu he seems to use the same oo sound for each syllable. I would think he is an expert.

Well he is old and talks slower, he is Xhosa, not Zulu although they are closely related and both belong to the same language group, Nguni.

If someone said oo-boon-too it would sound strange to me.

m.musashi
March 10th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Well he is old and talks slower, he is Xhosa, not Zulu although they are closely related and both belong to the same language group, Nguni.

If someone said oo-boon-too it would sound strange to me.

Well, I'm in the habit of saying oo-boon-too and since it's a heck of a lot closer than the typical American pronunciation of you-bun-too I'm going to stick with it. Besides, if Nelson Mandela (as well as the other guy on that video) say it that way it's good enough for me. :)